Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BAC Aware 10k Challenge!

Options
  • 30-10-2008 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

Right then!

The biggest challenge coming off a marathon is building the motivation to actually get back out there and run again. The next marathon (cos there is always a next one!) seems so far away and it's easy to let things slip.

The Aware 10k is run in Dublin on the 6th December and promises to be a bit of fun. It's a fast enough race for the speedsters with a 32:27 winning time last year but is big enough (over 700 entrants) not to be intimidating for newbies or "plodders". It's also a cracking cause and one well worth supporting.

So the intention is to try and get ready for it and so I have created a couple of 10k plans, linked here. There is one for runners aiming for 45 mins or above and one for those aiming at sub 45 mins, just look at the tabs on the bottom and you should be able to navigate. These are aimed at people who have just run either Dublin or a very recent marathon so include a lot of recovery, especialy in the early weeks.

DISCLAIMER: You are doing this at your own risk, please seek medical advice if you plan to engage in excercise and neither I nor this forum / website take responsibility for any mishaps, ill heath or injury arising from following these plans.

I will though claim the credit if you PB :p

Background, sources and discussion on the plans is here . If you want to comment on the plans themselves (eg why is this session there) then that is probably the best place to do it. I'll move posts to wherever they seem to fit best as we go. Week 4 of the sub 45 min plan is up for debate at the minute, it may need to be slacked off a little.

So, who's in?! If you are up for it then post below, ideally with the plan you aim to follow, your current 10k pb and any target you have

Good luck!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Krusty_Clown - Sub 45 Plan.
    10K PB - 43:18.
    Planned Finish - Sub 42:00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I want to go sub-40 in this race, current pb for 10k is 40:40 from a few months back. Since I followed a Pfitzinger plan for the marathon, I'd like to stick with him, and I found something useful here http://pfitzinger.com/effectiveplan.shtml . Seems to be less structured, which would suit me right now, as I have the endurance and want to concentrate on getting speed back in the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

10k - 51:30 in organised race
    Going to follow your plan to try and get under 50 mins first of all.

I'll use the recommended 3m the Thurs of week for to test the PRP against the watch.

Oh, and thanks by the way for helping to try and focus the minds around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Damn can't access those plans in work :mad: I'll have a look later. Sub 45 for me. I may just do this 10k. It will be my first so I'll aim for 42 mins and give it a bash! Only problem is I will be focussing on swimming in Novenber so the few running sessions I do will have to be serious quality.

If you have to choose 2 runs a week to keep you on target for a 10k what would the 2 sessions be?

What is the 'must-do' session for 10k training? Just finished Dublin so the base fitness is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Personal Best 48:54 (Clondalkin 10k Sept '09) First time out.
    Aiming for a sub 47:30 at the aware 10k, so yes a PB is planned ;)

I am currently training with the time-to-run sub 45 program slightly adapted as I am not at sub-45 pace yet.

I will start to look at your program as well and see how they compare.

Thanks for providing this focus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

I think I'll try and give this a shot. It's a bit of a drive to Dublin but worth it for the cause. My motivation is slipping badly at the moment so it might be just what I need.

Currently PB is 45:19 so sub 45 seems like a good target.

Not sure on a plan to follow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I'd really like to do this one. I was meant to do it last year, but hurt my knee playing football the night before! The only 10ks I've done were BUPA this year and last, with a PB of 41.30. I'd guess this offers better PB potential though, with a smaller field and (I'd assume) less of the fun runners you get at the BUPA. Only problem is I may be in England that on Dec 6, dont know yet. If not, definitely count me in. I'll have a look at a few plans in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Only ever done one 10K
    10K pb 54:52 April 08
    I plan on knocking about 12 mins off that
    Hopefully sub 43 or 42(6:45 pace) so maybe just in reach
    So count me in for 10K aware, Sub 20 jingle bells is main priority though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Excellent, great to see the interest!

The linked plans are purely optional, there's never going to be a one size fits all approach. It'll be interesting to see how we all get on.

I suppose for the record:

Sub 45 plan
    PB: 38:xx in the infamous Plassey "9.8k"! (short course). Officially 42:18 in teh Adare 10k earlier this year
    Target: sub 40

[edit] A couple of people have mentioned the Jingle Bells 5k now, both here and in the Boot Room. please let me know if you think we should set up a thread on that as well

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Guisseppeth

PB of 54:44 for my one and only 10K which was the Bupa/Great Ireland earlier this year. Hadn't done much before this but ran the 10m and half marathon since. Have done nothing since then so although I would love to take 9:45 off this :) a more realistic target is sub 50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Hope to make it up on the day as well (can't commit 100% yet).

Current 10k PB is 44:49 - depending on how the next month goes I'd like to sneak under 44min.

Does anyone know what route it takes?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i probably should sign up for this too,it would be good to have something to aim for and an excuse to keep posting here.
    im still walking like a sailor after monday but put me down for sub 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Had this race in mind anyway as my next post marathon goal. I'll go for 45 mins + schedule. My PB so far has been 56.04 so would like to shave a good 6 mins off that. I did the race last year in 1.05 so really want to see a huge improvement on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

This sounds like a good goal for me to get back into things...

My only 10k time is 50:38 in the Bupa run back in April. The realistic target is sub-50 as I've put on a few kilos and haven't been running much since August...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Hav'nt run a 10k before. Mcmillan puts me at 40min from my 19:16 pb for the rathfarnham 5k, but that is a very fast course so I don't think it realistic for the park. My simon 5m time was 33:28 and that gives me a time of 42min.
    So sub 42.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

My introduction to running 5 years ago was the then Bupa 10k. My training at the time wouldn't have been tough, compared to now, but I was starting from a low base and was a bit heavier then. I wouldn't have done a memorable time but it was the start of the running bug biting... I haven't done too many 10Ks since - as I tended to do marathons instead :). Did the Aware run last year though and enjoyed it, even if I missed out on 40 mins by seconds. I've dipped under 40 mins on the treadmill so I'll be well keen to do so in a race for once. I might just draft behind donothoponpop and take him on the final straight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

Well I've never done a 10k (that I can remember). McMillan equates my (Aug) marathon time to a 42m 10k so I suppose I should go for that (ouch). Motivation, ya gotta love it :pac: oooh, same as KrustyClown, MCOS & gerard65. Pressure on not to let the side down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Woddle wrote: »
    Only ever done one 10K
    10K pb 54:52 April 08
    I plan on knocking about 12 mins off that
    Hopefully sub 43 or 42(6:45 pace) so maybe just in reach
    So count me in for 10K aware, Sub 20 jingle bells is main priority though.

IMHO if JB is main priority, a 10k race 1 week before should not be part of the plan.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm still trying to decide if I'll do the race or not - it is VERY close to my 4th year semester 1 exams. But just for the hell of it:

10k PB - don't have one! I've never run a 10k but given my 5k pace (30.24 in the Rathfarnham 5k) McMillan calculator suggests 63 minutes for 10k, which is crap.
    I'd love to go sub-hour, but realistic target is just to finish. If I make it to the start line, my preparation won't have been ideal due to having been parked in a chair in the computer labs for most of the 6 weeks beforehand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

I'd consider this. My previous PB is 43.02 from about 18 months ago. I'm pretty sure I'm faster than that now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dtf

I'll give this a go. Have never broken 50min for a 10K before, so i'm going to go all out to break it this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Just found out I can't make this race... Family visit to Donegal has been planned for several weeks and I had forgotten about it... Gutted.

One thing that the ever wise Racing_Flat has mentioned - this race is aimed as a "keep you running" race rather than a season highlight. You shouldn't need to train too hard to run well because you still have all of that marathon fitness. Take it easy and relax, enjoy the race rather than busting a gut on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

I am up for this , PB for 10K was 45.05 in Calcutta run 2007. Would love to break 45 mins, will have to work on my speed training for this run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

I've dipped under 40 mins on the treadmill so I'll be well keen to do so in a race for once.

Just in regular training? If I had run a time in training (on a treadmill or outdoors), I'd be expecting to smash that time in a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Is there a course map somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

911sc wrote: »
    Is there a course map somewhere?

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/dublin/319329105

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Bring it on! A sub 50 PB this time or i will retire from my brief "running" career. PB of 5034 in this yrs BUPA.This was most of my marathon training route and direction so i hope to fly up the kyber pass.Training starts next week when completely recovered from a virgin marathon which was well off target.:) enjoyed this race last year (52mins) when not in great shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Aargh - why a Saturday morning? Clashes with so much stuff, primarily coaching at the track. Looks good fun too...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

My marathon time puts me at a 54 10k with McMillan.
    My mile time puts me at 51
    My 3 mile time puts me at 52

I feel Im definitely capable of better 1 and 3 mile times at this stage but training will not be optimum so who knows.

I reckon Ill go for a sub 55 minute out loud goal.

(Sub 52 secret goal and sub 50 dream goal;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭hawkwing

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Aargh - why a Saturday morning? Clashes with so much stuff, primarily coaching at the track. Looks good fun too...:mad:
    I prefer saturday mornings the most as you can go out that night and celebrate or drown sorrows,hate Sunday morning runs and wish Dub marathon was not on the Monday either.

Advertisement