Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Mushroom soup (1pp) is the perfect post drinking saltiness I need and also not letahl in pp :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

While there may be minor changes in metabolism, food intake and cravings throughout the menstrual cycle in addition to possible water retention, this will not impact weight loss success.

Food cravings, overeating and weight gain are commonly reported during the one to two weeks before menstruation occurs. But what is the science to support these symptoms, and what is their impact on weight loss success?

Food Intake and Metabolism
    While overeating is the popular perception, the research has shown that there are minor changes in actual food intake throughout the menstrual cycle. Most studies suggest an increase in eating of around 100 to 200 calories in the days before bleeding occurs, 1,2 but this appears to be offset by the small rise in metabolism (around 5 to 10%) 3 that occurs during the same time period. In other words, the body tends to adjust the calories in/calories out on its own. Therefore, in a weight stable state, no changes in weight will occur. However, if actively losing weight by following a restricted-calorie food plan, the likely result would be a slight (but hardly noticeable) increase in weight loss due to the increased metabolism without the usual increase in calories. Alternatively, the result instead could be a slightly greater difficulty in following the food plan because of increased hunger during that period.

Food Cravings
    Although food cravings are commonly reported during certain times of the menstrual cycle, the scientific evidence on the subjects is limited. Some smaller studies suggest a link, particularly a craving for high carbohydrate sweets. 4,5 These studies also show that cravings tend to occur more often in women with premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and that the cravings increase as symptoms worsen. 6 While more research is needed to understand food cravings, the good news is that they do not appear to translate into large increases in calorie intake and subsequent weight gain.

Water Retention
    The most likely reason for a weight gain is water retention. While this is a common symptom that can be particularly discouraging when following a structured food plan, 7 the weight gain is usually minor and temporary (that is, any weight that is gained is lost around the time of menstruation). Furthermore, water retention can be lessened during this time period by making small dietary changes, like reducing sodium and increasing fluids.

Bottom Line:
    Major fluctuations in eating and weight during certain periods of the menstrual cycle are a common perception, but studies done in the area find that the changes are minor, temporary and will not impact on weight loss success.

Understanding the energy content of food, metabolic rates and the law of thermodynamics.

Understanding the energy content of food, metabolism's three major components and the only scientifically proven method for losing weight. Calories are a way to measure energy. Just as watts measure electrical energy, calories measure heat energy.

By definition, a calorie (technically called a kilocalorie or kcal) is the amount of heat required to raise 1 kilogram of water 1 degree centigrade. Calories are the typical method of energy measurement in many parts of the world to quantify the fuel energy that is available from food and to measure the heat output that comes from metabolism, which is the number of calories the body burns.

Metabolism has three major components:
    1.resting metabolic rate;
    2.physical activity; and
    3.calories used to digest and absorb food.

Resting metabolism is the calories used to keep all systems going day in and day out; it is the calories burned by the brain, heart, kidneys and all organs and cells in the body. About two-thirds to three-quarters of the calories we burn every day are accounted for in resting metabolism.

The second component of metabolism is the calories burned in activities such as walking, stair climbing, picking up children and planned exercise. Calories burned in physical activity are the most variable part of metabolism and also the component over which you have the most control.

Finally, a relatively small percentage of calories (about 10%) are burned to digest and absorb food.

The Law of Thermodynamics
    The only scientifically proven method for losing weight involves burning more calories than are taken in. This fact, often called the 'law of thermodynamics', has been shown time and time again in decades of rigorous scientific studies. One example of the hundreds of studies that exist was done in Switzerland. 54 obese people had their calories restricted to 1,100 per day. Different combinations of foods and meal timing were tested. There was no difference in weight losses; it came down to the number of calories, not how they were provided, that accounted for the weight loss that the participants experienced.

At the end of the day, the only true way to lose weight is to eat fewer calories in food and/or burn more calories. Yet only 1/3 of Americans trying to lose weight try to do so by using the recommended method of eating less and exercising more – the fundamental foundation of weight loss.

Plateaus are a common part of the weight loss process. A plateau happens when the scale is at a standstill for several weeks — if weight stays the same for one or two weeks or the rate of weight slows but doesn't stop, it's not a true plateau. The progression from initial weight loss to hitting a plateau follows a typical pattern.

The Predictable Cycle of Weight Loss
    During the first few weeks of losing weight, a rapid drop in pounds is normal. When calories from food are reduced, the body gets needed energy by releasing its stores of glycogen, a type of carbohydrate found in the muscles and liver. Glycogen holds onto water, so when glycogen is burned for energy, it also releases the water — about 4g of water for every 1g of glycogen — resulting in substantial weight loss that's mostly water.

Once the body uses up its glycogen stores, it starts to burn fat for energy. Unlike glycogen, fat does not store much water and each 1g of fat releases more than twice the amount of energy (i.e. calories) than 1g of glycogen. The result is that weight loss slows down substantially. At this point, the recommended rate of weight loss is no more than an average of 2lb per week. Losing weight faster than this is generally a sign that amounts of lean muscle mass, which like glycogen is largely water, are being broken down for energy.

As the body's glycogen stores are replenished by increased carbohydrate intake, there is a corresponding retention of water. During this time, weight stabilises or may temporarily increase.

Why Weight Loss Plateaus Happen
    By 6 months, a weight loss plateau is likely to occur. While plateaus are an almost inevitable response to losing weight, the physiological reasons for why they occur is not well understood.

One area of current research involves a possible link to reduced levels of leptin, a hormone produced by fat cells that is involved in the regulation of appetite. Research has shown that weight loss causes a marked decrease in serum leptin levels, which may, in turn, increase appetite. Based on evidence from an animal study, scientists have suggested that a reduction in leptin may contribute to a weight loss plateau. However, more research on leptin's role in human weight regulation is needed before conclusions can be drawn.

Metabolic processes during weight loss may also impact plateaus. Losing weight can lower metabolism since a smaller body carries less lean muscle mass and burns fewer calories to move it around. Additionally, lower calorie consumption means it takes fewer calories to digest and absorb food. Taken together, a state of energy equilibrium could result, with weight remaining steady for a period of time.

Hope people dont mind me posting those articles. like i said i'm always reading up on stuff. I find personally knowing the science helps motivate me. :)

few interesting points on cravings, platues, musicle, water loss, ect on there :) bit of food for thought.

They are worth reading, and they may just save you from the take out menu tonight! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

kildareash wrote: »
    Fair play to all those who fit into smaller sizes over the last few days. Such a fantastic feeling.

Was out for bday drinks last night, have started back drinking west coast cooler again, but it's just such a waste of propoints.
    But the west coast cooler was the least of my worries last night as ibhad a few shots too!

Hopefully getting my new runners today's and then it's back to exercising with a vengeance.

Happy bank holiday Sunday everyone :)

Happy birthday fellow Taurean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    Hope people dont mind me posting those articles. like i said i'm always reading up on stuff. I find personally knowing the science helps motivate me. :)

few interesting points on cravings, platues, musicle, water loss, ect on there :) bit of food for thought.

They are worth reading, and they may just save you from the take out menu tonight! :)

Thanks, I agree. It's always interesting to see how the science can explain most things except what's going on in people's heads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Bought a ww meal for my dinner in work today cos was not organised at all. Got the chicken sweet and sour, have to say it was quite nice, but I am hungry again,and its only an hour later! So my conclusion is they are not worth the points or the money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

m'lady wrote: »
    Bought a ww meal for my dinner in work today cos was not organised at all. Got the chicken sweet and sour, have to say it was quite nice, but I am hungry again,and its only an hour later! So my conclusion is they are not worth the points or the money!

Yeah I find the WW meals need to be bulked up with veg.

Not having a good weekend foodwise. TOTM meant I used a heap of my weeklies in the first two days, then on Friday I took a half day and used most of my daily allowance before we headed off to Peter Kay in the O2. Then on the way home my mam and dad decided to treat me and the OH to Eddie Rockets. I did not make wise choices :( So I'm playing major catch up before my weigh-in on Tuesday but I reckon I'm going to be up.

Now the OH wants to head to the cinema today. I am a popcorn fiend! We'll see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭lil kc

Well my brother just said to me 'well done for going from flab to fab' and my mother nearly bashed him. So not sure how to take it, obviously I was lookin like a heifer but he has noticed a change, bitter sweet really!

On another note my mum has asked me to help her work out the points thing! I really want to help her cos she does need to loose weight but she is very sensitive about it, she doesn't want to come to meetings and I'm just not sure the best way to go about encouraging her without sounding condescending. I also know her point allowance will be different to mine so I'm gonna have to guess that and at least she will have something to work off and get disciplined. Any advice from anyone who has been in the same situation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

lil kc wrote: »
    Well my brother just said to me 'well done for going from flab to fab' and my mother nearly bashed him. So not sure how to take it, obviously I was lookin like a heifer but he has noticed a change, bitter sweet really!

Thats an outright compliment tbh. Its never nice to hear words like "flab" or "heifer", but lets face it. We're in WW because we're overweight and need to do something about it. No point in being sensitive about a compliment like that.
    lil kc wrote: »
    On another note my mum has asked me to help her work out the points thing! I really want to help her cos she does need to loose weight but she is very sensitive about it, she doesn't want to come to meetings and I'm just not sure the best way to go about encouraging her without sounding condescending. I also know her point allowance will be different to mine so I'm gonna have to guess that and at least she will have something to work off and get disciplined. Any advice from anyone who has been in the same situation?

I don't think you should be guessing her allowance as you could end up being way off which isn't going to help her. If you have one of the calculators that you can buy in class and you know your mam's weight and height you can find out her points that way. The classes aren't for everyone but if you can convince her to go it could benefit her greatly. If not, get her a calculator for herself, give her a copy of the food book and give her all the tips you pick up in class each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Hi all, I am following ww at the moment and going well. Today we are having a family picnic and I am looking for ww frendly snacks to bring! Also I know it's not ww linked, but if anyone knows where I could get a picnic rug? Looked in loads of shops yesterday! Thanks

Penney's have a great one, I got it last year but i'd say they would have them or similar ones again. It's soft on the outside but waterproof on the bottom and folds up into a little square with a handle, very handy, keep mine in the boot all the time.

Seeing all of you being great with exercise has spurred me to get off this couch and out for a walk. Absolutely knackered after the weekend in Sligo (only home an hour and the driving took a lot out of me) but I am going to go out anyway, and even if I only cover 3.5k (my 5k route has a shortcut back to my flat, which would make that walk 3.5k), i'll be happy I did something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I can't walk today cos I'm freaking out about my exams now :) I know the break and exercise would do me good but I have so much to do and no time to do it!

Sticking to my meal plan though, bbq'd steak and BNS chips on the menu tonight :)

Don't think I'm going to get the silver 7 this week sadly, I just don't think I'll be down anything :(

Monife wrote: »
    Penney's have a great one, I got it last year but i'd say they would have them or similar ones again. It's soft on the outside but waterproof on the bottom and folds up into a little square with a handle, very handy, keep mine in the boot all the time.

Seeing all of you being great with exercise has spurred me to get off this couch and out for a walk. Absolutely knackered after the weekend in Sligo (only home an hour and the driving took a lot out of me) but I am going to go out anyway, and even if I only cover 3.5k (my 5k route has a shortcut back to my flat, which would make that walk 3.5k), i'll be happy I did something.

Any exercise is good exercise :)

its amazing how boring housework can see so urgent and interesting when your trying to avoid studying LOL. Dinner is all diced up and chopped and sauce made for later. I've done my treadmill session for the day. added a few more bits to my tesco order! its actually a VERY healthy shopping list...its easy to stick to the plan when you dont have to walk past the biscuits in the store :P

ordered my self a case of 7up free for the BBQ next weekend. If anyone asks i'll say i have vodka in it....its like sin not to have "a drink" at our parties LOL but i need a clear head on me, plus Really want to hit that 3 stone mark before end of exams. So i'm staying off the drink...and 7up free better than the diet coke cos diet coke is FULL of caffeine.

misslt wrote: »
    I can't walk today cos I'm freaking out about my exams now :) I know the break and exercise would do me good but I have so much to do and no time to do it!

Sticking to my meal plan though, bbq'd steak and BNS chips on the menu tonight :)

Don't think I'm going to get the silver 7 this week sadly, I just don't think I'll be down anything :(

Go for a long shower/bath clear your mind....go somewhere or do something even for half an hour where you cant possible take your notes or books. Going for a shower is where i go to hide and escape...away from the computer, my notes, my phone....my mother. just away from everything.

I'm worried cos i'm freakishly calm about my exams....altho few weeks ago when they made us do pree's i had a complete freak out (which prob trigged my shoulder malfunction)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Go for a long shower/bath clear your mind....go somewhere or do something even for half an hour where you cant possible take your notes or books. Going for a shower is where i go to hide and escape...away from the computer, my notes, my phone....my mother. just away from everything.

I'm worried cos i'm freakishly calm about my exams....altho few weeks ago when they made us do pree's i had a complete freak out (which prob trigged my shoulder malfunction)

I'll sit outside when himself is doing the BBQ...have a glass of diet coke with loads of ice and a smoke!

I wasn't too bad until last night when I realised they start on TUESDAY. I have all my notes done except for two subjects, one of which I have 4 days off before the exam so thats okay - the other I have a day and a half :-/ I think I'll be skipping straight onto past papers and solutions for that one and trying to learn from that :(

At least I don't have time to snack :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭boxoff

Just an idea for a delish low point snack.... weight watcher wheat and oat crackers (1pp for 4 crackers) and two triangles of laughing cow light cheese (2pp) Oh my! its gorgeous! You could even have just the one cheese triangle but I love cheese so not so bad for 3pp!

Anyone ever get a sore tummy on this plan? Think ive over indulged in salads/friut lately.... I have been having 5 portions each day - very bad stomach cramps! finding it very hard today to go without having any friut or veg!

Best of luck to those studying!

boxoff wrote: »
    Just an idea for a delish low point snack.... weight watcher wheat and oat crackers (1pp for 4 crackers) and two triangles of laughing cow light cheese (2pp) Oh my! its gorgeous! You could even have just the one cheese triangle but I love cheese so not so bad for 3pp!

Anyone ever get a sore tummy on this plan? Think ive over indulged in salads/friut lately.... I have been having 5 portions each day - very bad stomach cramps! finding it very hard today to go without having any friut or veg!

Best of luck to those studying!

try drinking some WARM water....might just be a little bit too much fibre..and without sounding gross...might need some water to help break it up if you catch my drift...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭boxoff

try drinking some WARM water....might just be a little bit too much fibre..and without sounding gross...might need some water to help break it up if you catch my drift...

Thanks lainy, your a star! Im in bits, having pizza and wedges with NO salad for dins - hope im bit better before I go back to work tue :(

What wedges you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

hi
    just had a ww pizza for my tea and it was yum and only 12 points i was very surprised at how good it was.
    Also got a block of ww cheese today and that to is yummy and only 10 points for the whole block.I must say the ww food has improved a lot since the last time i went.

• Advertisement

harr wrote: »
    hi
    just had a ww pizza for my tea and it was yum and only 12 points i was very surprised at how good it was.
    Also got a block of ww cheese today and that to is yummy and only 10 points for the whole block.I must say the ww food has improved a lot since the last time i went.

how much is the cheese?

how much is the cheese?

I think the WW cheese is between €3 and €4-something. Quite expensive, as are their other fresh food like sausages (€3.99 but are yummy).

Trying to fend off SERIOUS temptation. The OH is starving and is throwing around suggestions of Zaytoon Kebab or the all you can eat buffet in town. Finding it very hard to resist but I want to have a few drinks tonight so was planning on having salad for dinner as have no weeklies left and even have to use my activity PP for the few drinks... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

Just wanted to tell you about my delicious filling 3pp dinner - roast stuffed butternut squash. Half the squash & scoop out the seeds. Place on a baking tray & cover with one squirt of spray oil on each half. Roast for about an hour at 200. Then fry together mushrooms, pepper, onion, garlic in another few squirts of spray oil. Scoop out the fleshy part of the raosted squash & mash & add to the pot. Mix together & then scoop the mixture back into the empty squash skins. Sprinkle with grated cheese (I used 15g of Coleraine light for 1pp each on each half) & pop back into the oven for about 15 mins.

YUM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I think the WW cheese is between €3 and €4-something. Quite expensive, as are their other fresh food like sausages (€3.99 but are yummy).

Trying to fend off SERIOUS temptation. The OH is starving and is throwing around suggestions of Zaytoon Kebab or the all you can eat buffet in town. Finding it very hard to resist but I want to have a few drinks tonight so was planning on having salad for dinner as have no weeklies left and even have to use my activity PP for the few drinks... :(
    Yep the food is a bit expensive all right,but the likes of the pizza and meals are handy to have in the freezer in case of emergences or a dose of the munches.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

Ignore him - you'll be glad tomorrow & at next WI.

the lidl LIGHT white mature cheddar (Block) is 1.49 at the moment, at full price its only 2 euro.

the lidl LIGHT white mature cheddar (Block) is 1.49 at the moment, at full price its only 2 euro.

Don't like mature cheddar :( Like light/medium cheddar. I love cheese but have seriously neglected it as it is SO high in PP, even the low fat ones still 3PP for 40g which is not a lot.
    fofany wrote: »
    Ignore him - you'll be glad tomorrow & at next WI.

I did :) He has gone out to get himself a takeaway and I have just finished my turkey salad (4PP)... now time for a drink :)

Don't like mature cheddar :( Like light/medium cheddar. I love cheese but have seriously neglected it as it is SO high in PP, even the low fat ones still 3PP for 40g which is not a lot.

yeah i know what you mean....I try to avoid it as much as i can. unless its already included in the food, like frozen pizzas

Trawling the net looking for easy, simple but tasty (and obviously low PP) lunch ideas but there is just sooo much out there and I don't really like any of it. A lot of it involves pre-cooking or loads of ingredients I don't like (i'm quite fussy), so just wondering does anyone have any good lunch idea?

Or even fillings ideas for wraps or pitta's? Getting sick of tuna and lettuce.

• Advertisement

Trawling the net looking for easy, simple but tasty (and obviously low PP) lunch ideas but there is just sooo much out there and I don't really like any of it. A lot of it involves pre-cooking or loads of ingredients I don't like (i'm quite fussy), so just wondering does anyone have any good lunch idea?

Or even fillings ideas for wraps or pitta's? Getting sick of tuna and lettuce.

Big Als Breaded Chicken Burgers (thats the full correct official name of them)
    They are in a BAG of 8 in the frozen food section.

they are 4pp each or two for 7pp! you could have a hot chicken wrap like you'd get in the dili :D

There are SO SO SO SO many Big Al products, so check the pp value BEFORE you buy at the supermarket!

(they are in tesco so if you check tesco.ie you'll be able to see the packaging)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement