Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Monife wrote: »
    One thing that jumps out at me straight away is that you are eating well under your daily points most days. You have 47 daily right? One day you only ate 29PP. You don't have to force yourself to eat all your points but you should only go under by about 4 - 6 max anything more and you are undereating for your body size, and your body is going to go into a mini starvation mode and hold onto as much fat as possible. Also, if you are exercising, you should try and eat most if not all of your dailies.

Another thing, (and I hope I don't sound critical) you seem to have oven chips a good few nights and potatoe roasts (is that just roast potatoes or is it processed)? I also see you had a WW ready meal 2 nights (which is grand, I am actually nit picking at this stage) but if you have the time it is much better to have fresh food rather than processed, which are full of salt and could be making you retain water.

I see you have pretty much the same lunch every day. Why don't you change it up a bit and give your body a bit of a shock? When I was hitting 1lb every week, I changed my toast in the morning to cereal, drank more water and experimented with lunch ideas and lost 3lb the following week.
    Thanks, the ovenchips and roast potatos are cos I dont like boiled spuds at all. but they are from the freezer, not fresh.

I do find it hard to eat my dailys without eating rubbish .... but going to have to make an extra effort by the sounds of it

I might change the lunching and see how that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Kay_80

+1 on what Monife said GT.

You should do your best to cut out the ready meals & the frozen overly processed spuds/ chips that is full of salt oil sugar & additives that are doing your body no good. You may not like boiled spuds but why don't you make your own (if you must eat them!) chips or roast potatoes? You can buy one of those dry fryers which does a whole lot of chips with one tblsp of oil. There are plenty of ways to cook spuds which is not boiled, which makes them tasty not overly processed & full of the natural goodness, try baby spuds with some herbs or spices, garlic a little olive oil etc

I know your wife is attending the meetings but have a look over her books I remember reading that they didn't recommend you eating spuds everyday, every second day at most. Why don't you try pasta, rice, cous cous or quinoa if you really want carb.

Im not trying to be mean here but you say you don't want to eat crap to up the points - well frozen spuds/ chips are crap & should be kept as a treat if you really must eat them.

I notice you also eat the same cereal everyday would you not swap that for porridge, eggs, or a wholegrain cereal? Alot of the carbs youre eating are White throw in some wholegrain & don't forget good fats! Olive oil, avocados, nuts, seeds etc etc it would be easy to Use up your dailies. To lose weight is a reeducation nutritionally as well you are going to have to try lots of different foods & develop your palate to maintain long term sustained weightloss Part of that is varying up your diet & sometimes eating things we don't like but are good for us! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

I must go back to rice and pasta. The problem with those is tha tthe protion my wife can have of them she finds tiny so therefor we tend not to have them that often.

A different cerials? Worth a try, wouldnt have though this would make such a difference.

I did notice that the week where I was 40+ most days I was loosing more.

Thanks for all the advise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Am so proud of myself, a new 'Costa' opened today near where I work, and I absolutely love their little bakewell tarts, but I didn't get one, just had a skinny cappuccino, I'm now curious to see how many points I saved! Am meeting a friend in while,am gonna have a nice bagel with lots of salad and spicy chicken as a treat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Oh my god, they are 12 pp, and a couple of months ago I'd have had one and said 'I'd eaten nothing all day' and believed it! I'm in shock, cos I'd have easily had that after a sandwich, thank god I didn't succumb and have one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

m'lady wrote: »
    Oh my god, they are 12 pp, and a couple of months ago I'd have had one and said 'I'd eaten nothing all day' and believed it! I'm in shock, cos I'd have easily had that after a sandwich, thank god I didn't succumb and have one!

Well done you for not giving in!

Haven't had much time to post over the last few days.
    I'm ridiculously busy in work all the time lately, and it's really starting to wear me out. Looking forward to a few days off next week :D

Anyway, been relatively good over the last week. Had an Eddie Rockets on Friday night for dinner but I just got the hot dog and shared a chip with OH.
    Was at an anniversary mass with OH's family on Sunday morning and I wouldn't see his aunts that often, but they were all complimenting me on the amount of weight I'd lost! Was great because I was just having one of those weeks where I wasn't feeling the weight loss.

Had OH's parents over for dinner last night and I made a very healthy stir fry and I just had a little bit of desert. However, me and his mam shared two bottles of wine between us.

I'm feeling positive about WI tonight. I put on a wool dress this morning that I haven't worn in a few weeks and I couldn't believe how much better it looked. I've probably jinxed myself now. haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SkinnyDoll

misslt wrote: »
    Down 4.5lb. Got my first stone. Thrilled to bits :D
    Fantastic well done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭izzy24

Becky85 wrote: »
    Woop down 5lbs this week, lost 2 stone 2lbs since I started ww.

14 more WIs until my holidays- thoughts of bikinis is quite the motivation!

Congrats to everyone else on the losses

well done becky85

Im same as u my holidays are 12weeks away and really want to be down 2 more stone so thats 27lbs to go i no its alot but im going to try my best to loose it... cant wait to go shopping for holidays for nice clothes:D not cover me up clothes...

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭izzy24

Totally know where you are coming from but don't let it dishearten you. It is better to have that half pound off, than on. I only lose a lb a week if even and I have LOADS to lose but keep telling myself I am doing this for me, getting healthy and fit and if it comes off slowly it will stay off longer. It took me 4 years to put on 3 stone, and I have nearly lost that in just over 5 months (3.5lbs away from 3rd stone). Still have another 5 stone or so to lose but just taking it one mini goal at a time.

im same boat...i would love to loose 8 stone altogether and hoping for the 4 stone before my holidays in june/july.. im half way there got my 2stone and 1lb last nite:D... But im taking it one silver seven at a time so 6lbs to my next one fingers crossed and lots of determination and will power:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

izzy24 wrote: »
    im same boat...i would love to loose 8 stone altogether and hoping for the 4 stone before my holidays in june/july.. im half way there got my 2stone and 1lb last nite:D... But im taking it one silver seven at a time so 6lbs to my next one fingers crossed and lots of determination and will power:D

Well done on losing two stone!
    I think the only way to do it is just one half stone at a time. I was surprised the number of people who asked me what my goal was over the last few days.

I actually haven't set myself an overall goal yet. I reckon I've about six stone to loose, but I would just get bogged down if I was thinking of that figure all the time.
    My next mini-goal is to be under 200lbs...only 2lbs to go! I think I would just feel lighter in my head if my weight was 199.5lb even! After that I'm just working towards getting my third stone. I'm a couple of weeks behind where I'd like to be, but what the heck, i'm getting there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 nic79

have been sick for last 2 weeks with a sinus and throat infection so have done zero exercise and diet not been great as i've no energy to cook proper dinners but going to count it as a blip and start from fresh at weekend if im able :rolleyes:

just to let everyone know Lidl have offers on all of their fish next week..... i know a few have mentioned their Sole fillets - they will be down to 1.86e
    there is 25% off all fish including the fresh fish.

they also have cases of wine on offer.....i MUST resist;)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Micki

Hi Guys,

I just joined this thing today but have been reading this thread for the last few days! Keep up the good work with the lists and recipes! I was kinda avoiding those places as i wasnt sure of the propoints in any of them(places like Subway and that), but now i dont have to!

I have been going to WW for years on and off, lost 3-4 stone at first but gave up and put a load of weight back on! I was joining and rejoining for months/years and then i just got into the right frame of mind about 2 years ago and i have lost over 5 stone. I did it slowly while still enjoying my nights out and not depriving myself of anything as i am under 30 and like a bit of a social life and to enjoy myself!

I am now under the goal WW set for me but i have a lower personal goal so i am still trying to get to that! The problem now is my weight loss is slowed right down! I run 5-6k, 6 nights a week and stick to my points yet i am only loosing 0.5lb or 1lb a week.

Does anyone have any tips on how to jump start weight loss at this stage and get a bigger weight loss every second week or so? I want to just get to my personal goal asap and get onto maintainance. I have 1-1.5 stone that i want to loose... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mdbatches

First WI today .... Im so happy ive lost 7.5 pounds! im delighted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

One thing that jumps out at me straight away is that you are eating well under your daily points most days. You have 47 daily right? One day you only ate 29PP. You don't have to force yourself to eat all your points but you should only go under by about 4 - 6 max anything more and you are undereating for your body size, and your body is going to go into a mini starvation mode and hold onto as much fat as possible. Also, if you are exercising, you should try and eat most if not all of your dailies.

Another thing, (and I hope I don't sound critical) you seem to have oven chips a good few nights and potatoe roasts (is that just roast potatoes or is it processed)? I also see you had a WW ready meal 2 nights (which is grand, I am actually nit picking at this stage) but if you have the time it is much better to have fresh food rather than processed, which are full of salt and could be making you retain water.

I see you have pretty much the same lunch every day. Why don't you change it up a bit and give your body a bit of a shock? When I was hitting 1lb every week, I changed my toast in the morning to cereal, drank more water and experimented with lunch ideas and lost 3lb the following week.

your body may need more fuel and water after the excercise. i know it goes against everything we've been lead to believe....but you prob need to EAT more and drink more water....if your running that much i say you should be drinking AT LEAST 3 litres of water a day.

the closer to goal the slower weight loss gets, cos your body detects that its in and around its ideal weight so its now trying to hold on to what its got to regulate it self.... homoeostasis....the bodies self regulation in response to external stimuli....

less processed carbs, more wholegrain, more lean proteins.

oh god that was gooood! had breakie at 7.30 this morning....only just had lunch now...been on the go all day....

had the ww veggie pizzs at 13pp......nom nom nom LOVE IT!

Dunnes Stores seem to be the main stockist of ww products. the Dunnes i was in today in Douglas, Cork had MASSIVE selection and had the new pp system on EVERYTHING, chilled pizzas, cheese, hams, sausages, fozen meals, chilled meals, yoghurts, ice creams ect.

Going out tomorrow night! Havent been out in MONTHS! Havent had a drop of alcohol in about 10 weeks....i'll be on the vodka and dancing all night....i know my self i never keep track of my drinks when i'm out.

I wont be out again for at least another six weeks or so...so i'm going to ENJOY it!

I'm off tomorrow so will try and do an hour on treadmill, so that will earn me 6pp on top of the other 15pp i've earned this wekk, plus i have about 20 weeklies, so i will have most of my dailies plus 40 extra pp for going out :P but as i said i dont keep track...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭kty

mdbatches wrote: »
    First WI today .... Im so happy ive lost 7.5 pounds! im delighted! :D

Wow! Thats brill, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

well.. up 1 lb!! :mad::mad:
    i know i went on a bit of a binge over the weekend but i'm 100% sure i stayed withing my dailys + weeklys.. so i'm not happy at all!!

Haven't done anything differently to other weeks.. if any, i've eaten a bit less and i haven't drank as much water, but still, i would have been happy with sTS.. but 1 pound up?? what is that about?? :mad::mad:

Also didnt go for a long walk on the weekend, which i usually do, but was working in the garden and i was working up a sweat more than if i had been walking..

when the losses are slow, as in my case, one week up feels like 10 steps back!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Stone gone ooooohhhhh yeahhhhhh!!!
    5 weeks of hard work soooo worth it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I can't stop eating!!!

Seriously, I've eaten so much stuff today, I've already used all my dailies and 5 weeklies today :eek:

I also haven't done any studying, so all in all a crap day.

Walking tonight and did some Zumba earlier so hopefully that'll keep me under control a bit!

I hate the fact then I have zero self control like this, once I get the notion thats it...Gah.

I'm sad now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

dammitj wrote: »
    Guys I think my WW journey may be over for a bit.

I totally lost the run of myself at the weekend, even after being up 1.5lb last week.

I'm exercising a lot lately so I feel much better and I'm good all week, but then it comes to friday and it all goes out the window!
    Dunno what the hell is wrong with me!!!!

I think I'll take a break from it for a few weeks to see if I can get my motivation back and keep doing it myself and exercising.

What do you all think? Has anyone been through this demotivation?
    Only flippin 9lb from goal now too!!

dammitj - it's just so hard to keep it up!! Do you know sometimes I think a break works (once you are determined to go back). I was away at the weekend and really enjoyed myself, over did it and was going to be good for Monday/Tuesday, WI at lunchtime today, but I decided to eat whatever I wanted and put it down to a week's break from the grind. I did go get weighed though and I'd only put up 1lb, so now I am delighted. BUT> am going to be good this week so I can enjoy Easter in peace.

btw, I think definitely the nearer you get to goal the harder it becomes from a motivation point of view. However, once you get there, staying within the 5lbs so you don't have to pay becomes ALL IMPORTANT, well for me anyhow...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackmax

back from WI was down .5lbs. I worked my ass off this wk on the threadmill so im a bit disappointed :( hopefully it will show next wk. start of a new wk tomorrow so just have to keep working on the exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Becky85

javagal wrote: »
    Stone gone ooooohhhhh yeahhhhhh!!!
    5 weeks of hard work soooo worth it!!!

Congrats!! that's an amazing loss

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Becky85

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    i'm obsessed with this thread LOL

me too! can't stop reading it! at least it's a helpful obsession :p

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭aspie mum

Big break out just ate half a packet of Sun crip bars I am never buying them again they are addictive I hope i didn't do to much damage as I was so good all week WI tomorrow ...........what a day to break....:mad::mad::mad::mad:

aspie mum wrote: »
    Big break out just ate half a packet of Sun crip bars I am never buying them again they are addictive I hope i didn't do to much damage as I was so good all week WI tomorrow ...........what a day to break....:mad::mad::mad::mad:

they are leathal...totally addictive....i cant have them either! so easy to just dig in and say ah its only 2pp ah its only 2pp.....ah sure its only my.....10th one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Becky85 wrote: »
    Congrats!! that's an amazing loss
    Thanks becky and I'm a lazy bit*ch, gonna see how i get on with a bit of exercise!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Layla0509

Starting to feel better so i just had a gorgeous giant bowl of noodles and chicken curry with a bit of naan bread 27pp worth but it's all I've eaten all day and so worth the points

oh this sounds georgous! and i'm not a great soup lover!

but i love garlic.....and shallots are like my new favourite veg

ProPoints® Value Per Serving : 3
    Servings: 4
    Preparation Time: 15 min
    Cooking Time: 35 min
    Level of Difficulty: Easy

This garlic soup is wonderful. It is aromatic, yet subtle - in spite of using six garlic cloves!

Ingredients
    6 clove(s) Garlic
    285 g Shallots
    5 spray(s) Cooking Spray, Calorie Controlled
    500 g Potatoes, Old, Raw, peeled and chopped
    1 cube(s) Stock Cube, Vegetable, vegetable, make up 950ml with hot water (use 2 cubes if desired)
    1 pinch Salt, and black pepper, freshly ground
    4 sprig(s) (fresh) Parsley, fresh, to garnish

Instructions
    Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200°C/fan oven 180°C/400°F. Place the garlic cloves on a large square of foil. Add 2 tsp of water and some salt and pepper. Bring the foil together to make a little parcel, then roast for 10-15 minutes.

Meanwhile, reserve 2 shallots and chop the rest. Put the chopped shallots into a large saucepan with three sprays of low fat cooking spray. Cook gently, without browning, for 3-4 minutes. Add the potatoes and vegetable stock. Squeeze the pulp from the roast garlic and add to the pan. Cook for a further 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.

Puree the mixture with a hand blender or in a food processor until smooth. Return to the saucepan and season to taste. Reheat.

To garnish, slice the reserved shallots and fry them in a non-stick frying pan with a couple of sprays of low fat cooking spray, until golden brown. Arrange on top of the soup and garnish with parsley sprigs.

Anyone know how long a soup like this would stay fresh?

ProPoints® Value Per Serving : 5
    Servings: 8
    Preparation Time: 20 min
    Cooking Time: 90 min
    Level of Difficulty: Moderate

Our cheesy potatoes au gratin is the perfect comfort food for those cool autumn nights.

Ingredients
    1 tablespoons Butter
    1 medium Onion, All Types, thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons (level) Flour, Wheat, White, Plain
    500 ml Milk, Skimmed
    1000 g Potatoes, Old, Raw, thinly sliced
    125 g Cheese, Cheddar, Half Fat, grated
    1 teaspoons Salt
    1/4 teaspoons (ground) Pepper, Black (Whole, Cracked or Ground)

Instructions
    Preheat oven to Gas Mark 5/190°C/375°F.

Melt butter in a large casserole dish over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour; add milk slowly, stirring. Add potatoes; stir to mix. Bring to the boil. Stir in ¾ of cheese, salt and pepper.

Level out surface. Transfer to oven and bake for 1 hour, uncovered. Cover and bake until potatoes are tender when tested with a fork, about 20 minutes more.

Preheat grill. Sprinkle remaining cheese over potatoes. Grill until the cheese is golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭shanasue

hey all...down 3lbs tonight!! yeepee stone gone..:D
    thats 2 gone now....13lbs from goal...
    my weight loss is defiantely in a 2 week cycle, only lost .5lb last week, week before it was 2.5lbs...so for all those who are frustrated with low losses it will hopefully show up next week, keep at it..
    I'm giving myself a break tonight, well from spinning anyway, I've been hard at it for 5-6 days a week for 3 weeks now, spinning, boxercise, zumba, jogging, weights and exercise dvd's...I'M WRECKED!! going to have a nice walk and dinner (not sure what yet!) and prob a glass of vino....i'm so excited!!!
    on another note, I'm going to a 30th on sat, and I havent been out in over 2 months!! think I'll be dancing on the tables after one coors light!!!..whoohoo
    thanks for listening, you are all a great support, I'd be lost (or gained!) with out yee :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement