Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Garden_Gurl

I made one of the nicest sandwiches for lunch today!

2 slices of toast (5PP)
    extra light mayo (1PP)
    2 Tesco rasher medallions (1PP)
    100g Tesco flame grilled cooked chicken (3PP)
    2 light easi singles (2PP)
    12 PP total!

You could make this for 10PP but i bulked it out cuz made it at 1pm and not eating until later this evening! And it makes a yummy dinner if you have either a salad or some oven chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

Layla0509 wrote: »
    Wooooooo I've lost 7lbs this wk getting my 10% and that's 29lbs since Jan 3rd absolutely delighted this morning

That's a brilliant result, no wonder you're delighted! Congratulations.
    Lady Lainy wrote: »
    STS this week...which is A OK with me! have only put in about 60% effort last two weeks....so to STS is fine...

Ordered my grooming table today....my brother got his new car...which means his old car is now mine.....ALOT of BIG things going on.....AAAAH!

You have such a hectic time at the moment! I'm glad that your STS isn't the end of the world. Sometimes life just gets in the way of all our planning & counting points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

OMG.....the muffins are actually rising....they are going to be HUGE!

Its the Bran Muffin Recipe,but istead of fruit i used roughly mashed banana....omg the smell in the kitchen YUM!

used Self raising flour AND 1 whole teasp of bicarbonate and 1 whole teasp of baking poweder.

I also use 40g sugar and 20g splenda instead of 60g sugar.

:D huge banana bran muffins for 3pp!

100ml skimmed milk
    100g Self Rising Flour
    1 medium egg (45 - 60g)
    1 teasp bicarbonate soda
    1 teasp baking soda
    60g wheat bran (odliums)
    40g of soft brown sugar
    20g Splenda
    2 and 1/2 mashed bananas

Servings: 6
    Per Serving: 3 propints

1. Preheat the oven to 190 (gas mark 5)

2. Put Skimmed Milk and wheat bran in a bowl, stir well and soak for 10 minutes.

3. Beat the sugar and egg until well combined and then beat the bran mixture.

4. Sift in the flour spices, Fold in gently, but thoroughly, with a metal spoon in a figure of eight motion.

5. Stir in the banana and fold them evenly into the mixture.

6. Divide between six muffin cases.

7. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until muffins are risen and firm to the touch.

8. Cool on wire rack then store in upright tin or container in fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

Hi could somebody recommend the best iPhone app for weight watchers. Also could somebody help me figure out how to work out my pro points daily allowance? I want to start today-I feel very determined now. I did the old method about two years ago found it very good , need to shift a few pounds for wedding in two weeks!Ahh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Oh wow I have just made a fabulous savoury vegetable rice, it is the nicest thing I have had in a while I have to say! I will post up recipe later when I have pointed it properly if anyone is interested?

From Maris Piper to Charlotte, King Edward to Premiere, we’ve got the lowdown on potatoes. Here’s how to buy, store, cook and enjoy this healthy, delicious and versatile vegetable.

The potato is a staple food in many cultures. And no wonder - the humble spud is incredibly nutritious. A medium size potato (about 150g, or the size of a computer mouse) can provide up to half your recommended daily intake of vitamin C.

If eaten with its skin, a potato has more potassium than a banana and is also a great source of fibre.

Basic Varieties
    There are literally thousands of different varieties of potatoes grown around the world. In the UK around 80 varieties are grown commercially.

Potatoes are seasonal and are usually harvested, depending on the variety and where in the country they are grown, from May to October. Potatoes are often categorised according to their season, for example, "earlies", "new potatoes", "main crop" or "late".

Best Ever Mashed Potatoes
    Here’s a shock: the microwave actually makes the best mashed potatoes.

1. Wash (but do not dry) 4 or 5 medium Rooster, Nadine, Saxon or Wilja potatoes. Do not prick or peel them. Place them in a large, microwave proof bowl with a lid that has an open vent hole, or cover the bowl with microwave proof plastic wrap and then poke a small hole in the wrap.

2. Microwave on high for 8 minutes (total) without disturbing.

3. Remove from microwave — be careful of hot steam — take off the lid or plastic wrap, and mash with an electric mixer at medium speed or a hand held potato masher adding some low fat milk, lean chicken or vegetable broth, a little butter or olive oil and/or some Dijon mustard and herbs.

The Potato Family

King Edward is a floury variety, which makes it a good choice for smooth creamy mash, light fluffy roast potatoes, Potato Dauphinoise or even chips. It is a traditional maincrop variety with white skin, distinctive pink skin colouration and creamy coloured flesh. Charlotte potatoes are perfect for salads. With their distinctive long, oval shape, white skin and moist texture, they are also ideal for roasting and boiling.

Charlotte potatoes are a primrose yellow colour which cooks to pale honey. Once cooked the papery skin rubs off easily. They have a full bodied flavour, which tastes fresh and buttery.

Maris Piper has a pleasant, floury texture and is therefore ideal for many potato dishes, from chips and roast potatoes to mash and wedges.
    Maris Piper is one of the most popular varieties on sale in the UK and is the most widely grown. It has a creamy coloured flesh and skin that is white to yellow.

Desiree is a great potato for roasting, or making chips, creamy mash and wedges. It is also sold as a baking potato. This striking red skinned variety has a light yellow flesh and is widely available.

Premiere has a yellow skin and yellow, firm flesh with a slightly dry texture. It is suitable for boiling and making chips. As its name suggests, it is harvested first of the early crop. Shaped like a large egg, Premiere is a white fleshed new potato that cooks to a cream colour. The flavour is full bodied, making it a good match to spicy and highly flavoured foods.

Top Storage Tips
    Potato Perfection
    Potatoes must be stored in a cool, dark place - preferably the back of a larder or cupboard. Exposure to any light, even lamp or fluorescent light, will compromise their freshness and produce green spots.

Seeing Green
    Those green spots are actually a chlorophyll-like chemical called solanine. Its development is a natural process - but not good for humans. Too much of it will give you a stomach ache. Any green bits should be cut out before cooking.

Avoid The Cold
    Don’t store potatoes below 7 degrees celsius. When cooked, they can then turn black or grey. If you do store them in the refrigerator, let them come back to room temperature before cooking to avoid this colour shift.

Onions Are Enemies
    Never store potatoes next to onions. The chemical exchange in the fumes will lead to eye sprouts, which are actually just root growth, part of the potato’s cycle underground. Cut the spouts out before cooking. Too many and the potato will turn quite mushy.

Colourful and great for your health, butternut squash is a delicious, versatile vegetable. Learn some easy, new ways to prepare it.

The different varieties of squash offer a cold or warm-weather cornucopia of flavour and texture. Endlessly varied and versatile as the cook who prepares it, butternut squash in particular is extremely popular with our message boards users.

Lisa: "Butternut squash, cut into chips spray with fry light and roast in oven. Very nice and sweet."

El: "I have BNS all the time - chips, roasted with veg, in curries etc."

Emma: "I eat the skin too, tastes yummy! I cut it in half and then into smaller chunks and slices avoiding the bit with pips in (you'll see when you open it) then I pop it in the microwave for 1½ minutes just to speed things up and then dry roast it on a baking tray in the oven!"

Lindsey: "I coat mine in paprika and then roast it, its lovely, adds a really nice flavour."

Do It For Your Health
    Loaded with beta carotene, squash is a good source of vitamin A. It's also rich in fibre and vitamin C.

Selecting And Storing
    Look for squash with vibrant colour, a hard shell and a dense, heavy feeling when you lift it. Actually harvested in the autumn, squash's thick skin makes it easy to store throughout the winter, so it's an ongoing pleasure when other vegetables dwindle to a minimum.

Store in a cool, dry place for a month or more; refrigeration isn't necessary, though squash can be kept in a paper bag in the fridge (don't use plastic, which causes moisture to build up and can cause squash to rot). Cut into chunks, squash can be frozen raw or cooked.

What To Do With Buttnernut Squash
    Butternut squash can work in sweet or savoury dishes - not surprising for a vegetable that's related to both cucumbers and melons.

A basic cooking method:
    Cut a squash in half the long way. Spray the cut side with non-stick spray, and roast it, cut-side down on a sheet pan, for 40 minutes at 200°C or until soft. Discard the seeds and scoop out the flesh.

Use in spicy soups. Roast (as indicated above), scoop out the flesh and then puree with a little bit of chicken stock for a creamy-style soup. For a West Indian touch, add a bit of curry powder. For extra nutrition and some texture, add white beans at the very end.

Slice into wedges, spray with spray oil, add salt and pepper then roast as you would potato wedges. A delicious accompaniment to roast chicken or steak.

Butternut squash is the perfect size and shape for stuffing; scoop out the seeds and fill with a stuffing of your choice. Delicious fillings could include dry fried mince with a tomato-based sauce, or minced vegetables with herbs. Put filled squash in a pan ¼ full of water and steam squash until soft.

Don't be afraid to mix your squash. Try the sweetness of butternut with the nuttier flavours of acorn. Swirl pureed squashes together in recipes for some startling colour combinations. You can top a squash soup with a puree of a different hue, mingle the two on a plate for a light and alluring side dish or drizzle them over roasted pork or chicken.

For a light and flavourful pasta sauce, roast butternut squash until soft. Discard the seeds and scoop the flesh directly into a blender. Add some fresh or dried sage, a little nutmeg, apple juice to thin it and parmesan to taste. Buzz it up until smooth and drizzle over pasta.

Cubes of cooked butternut squash tossed with your favourite dressing make a great (and unexpected) addition to salad.

For a delicious lasagne variation, layer small, ½ inch cubes of squash between pasta sheets. Use your regular tomato sauce and low fat cheese - and bake as usual.

m'lady wrote: »
    Oh wow I have just made a fabulous savoury vegetable rice, it is the nicest thing I have had in a while I have to say! I will post up recipe later when I have pointed it properly if anyone is interested?

Yum! sounds great!

Yum! sounds great!

Dont suppose you know the pp of sweetcorn? I cannot find it in my book! and peas are 1pp per tbsp yeah?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Uh oh... :o Confession time! Was really tired after my walk and had a nap, only back from food shopping an hour ago and was sooo hungry, we got Eddie Rockets instead of making the chicken fajita's! I was going to be good with the chicken caesar salad and then I blimming went and got garlic fries too, eek 31PP in total! Oh well, I still have (after the Eddie Rockets) 33 weeklies. Will be having a few drinkies with the OH tonight so I will prob use another 15 or so of those weeklies.

Ah well, ya have to have a little binge and tasty treat now and again. Don't feel too guilty because I have exercised Thursday, Friday and today so far, and weather permitting plan to exercise Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, WI being on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I can smell my dinner cooking and I can't wait! Got one of those knorr shake thingies for the oven where you put the meat and veg into a bag with the flavouring (3pp for the whole pack). Giving the rustic one a try with chicken (4pp each) and an arseload of veg - 1 green, 1 red, 1 yellow pepper, carrots, broccoli, onion and butternut squash chips on the side.

Have a weightwatchers profiterole dessert thingy (5pp, I think) for afters. Nyom!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

just wondering do people still lose weight if they use all the extra 49PP? I have a feeling mine will be gone by Mon!

Dont suppose you know the pp of sweetcorn? I cannot find it in my book! and peas are 1pp per tbsp yeah?!

My book says:

'canned, 2 tbsps 60g - 2pp'
    'baby - 0pp'

intouch44 wrote: »
    just wondering do people still lose weight if they use all the extra 49PP? I have a feeling mine will be gone by Mon!

I try to avoid using mine if I can and keep it for nights out, but yeah you definitely can. There's a lady in my class who adds 7 weeklies to her daily allowance and she's doing really well.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    My book says:

'canned, 2 tbsps 60g - 2pp'
    'baby - 0pp'

Im such a ditz, I was looking up 'corn' rather than sweetcorn! thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Soo...Faustino V is on special offer in super valu...thankfully I have enough points left for a bottle :P

This totm thing is crap, can't stop eating :(

Ahh well, originally I said I wanted my stone by April 11th which I can do!

I have a friend who maintains that she loses more weight when she eats ALL her weeklies, and a few people have said same in my class. I'm too afraid to try it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I used all of mine last week for the first time (properly, tracking everything) and had my biggest loss since I started. Don't know if it's a coincidence, will see this week as I'm pretty sure I'm gonna use them all again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mollie57

I have a friend who maintains that she loses more weight when she eats ALL her weeklies, and a few people have said same in my class. I'm too afraid to try it yet!

Lost 3lbs after using all my weeklies this week - usually lose only 1 to 1.5lbs. Am away a few days next week so will use them all again and will post results the week after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Layla0509

Yes please

Savoury Vegetable Rice

Ingredients:
    1 boil in bag rice 6 pp ( I just used a boil in bag for portion control and I also had no 'loose' rice, I emptied rice out of bag)
    6 tbsp of peas 6pp
    6 tbsp of sweetcorn 6tbsp
    mixed frozen veg (brocolli, carrots)
    3 fresh tomoatoes when skin peeled off and chopped
    veg or chicken stock cubes x 2
    chilli powder
    • soak rice in hotwater and a bit of salt for an hour
    • When rice has soaked for an hour, fry onion for only 2 minutes
    • drain water off rice and add rice to the onion
    • stir for 2-3 minutes
    • add tomatoes, then add 2 cups of boiling water and the stock cubes, chilli powder (about a teaspoon) and pepper
    • add frozen veg
    • after it boils reduce temperature down very low and cover
    • simmer until all water has evaporated
    • then cover with a clean teatowel for 15 minutes
    This has at least 3 servings, so I would put 6pp per serving.

S*** I have just realised I didnt point the stock cubes, are they 1 pp each??

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

Bbs cappaccinno how many points?

One week, I used all my weeklies and exercised every day and lost 2lbs. Then the following week, I used half the weeklies, exercised about half as much and lost 2lbs.

There was a week I used all plus a little bit more on drink and I sts.

I used a good chunk of them every week, I find it hard not to as I like my few drinks with some nibbles with the OH on a Friday and Saturday. It is our escapism, as we can only afford to go out very rarely. I tend to use at least 20 of them, maybe a bit more, and lose between 1 - 2/2.5lbs a week.

This week I had planned to only use about 10, but that went out the window and now I plan to use about half (or a little bit more) of them, but I also plan to exercise every day so hoping for a good result, hopefully 2lbs but would be happy with 1.5lb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭colliewobbles

S*** I have just realised I didnt point the stock cubes, are they 1 pp each??

1 pp for Knorr Stock pot
    0 pp for Veg oxo cubes
    100ml skimmed milk
    100g Self Rising Flour
    1 medium egg (45 - 60g)
    1 teasp bicarbonate soda
    1 teasp baking soda
    60g wheat bran (odliums)
    40g of soft brown sugar
    20g Splenda
    2 and 1/2 mashed bananas

Lady Lainy, how did you Banana Muffins turn out? Did the splenda make them sweet tasting?

Yes I lost weight using the weeklies, and anyone in the class I attend reckon they loose more weight when they eat all of the weeklies. Happy eating/drinking your weeklies

Can anyone recommend a tasty 0pp breakfast, taking my mum out for dinner tmw, used all my weeklies on drink and food last night and I reckon the dinner tmw will be 29pp so want to have something 0pp tmw like a smoothie but not sure what to put in.

Any suggestions would be great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Layla0509

Hey I usually use most of my weeklies but this week I only used 7 of them and I had my biggest loss since starting in Jan but think it's coz I mixed it up

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tattoo86

Hey guys finally bit the bullet and joined weight watchers on wednesday night and was given a daily allowance of 45 points, which im finding hard to eat, is it necessary to eat all my daily points?

Can anyone recommend a tasty 0pp breakfast, taking my mum out for dinner tmw, used all my weeklies on drink and food last night and I reckon the dinner tmw will be 29pp so want to have something 0pp tmw like a smoothie but not sure what to put in.

Any suggestions would be great thanks.

When making a smoothie, I used a banana, good handful of frozen raspberries (or other berries, and fresh if you have them), some fresh strawberries and a splash of summerfruit no added sugar dilute and a splash of water. They are nom nom nom and way nicer than the innocent ones. Hate yoghurt and milk in smoothies so my ones turn out 0PP.

You could also have some fruit salad with whatever fruit you have in the house :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

tattoo86 wrote: »
    Hey guys finally bit the bullet and joined weight watchers on wednesday night and was given a daily allowance of 45 points, which im finding hard to eat, is it necessary to eat all my daily points?

Yes you have to eat your daily allowance. The weeklies are optional.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement