Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert Engineering project 2009???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AndyWhite

.:FuZion:. wrote: »
    Are you talking to me or deckersd? :p If you are talking to me, I think it was like 300 I think. I will just presume you are talking to deckersd. :pac:

That sounds good man. Did it work? Or how did you get on with it?

Ah, cool, no worries so. I was lookin at your one there. Looks good though!
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure its workin alright! (still a tiny bit to be done... hehe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

AndyWhite wrote: »
    Ah, cool, no worries so. I was lookin at your one there. Looks good though!
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure its workin alright! (still a tiny bit to be done... hehe)

Sh*te quality in the video, so its hard to make out stuff. :pac: Happy enough I guess, since most of the class tried a similar concept and it didnt really work. :p
    Good stuff! :p Try get a vid if you can and stick it up. :pac: Sounds interesting like. Many pple in your class take on a similar idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

wow all them seem very exposed and open i know you're supposed to show the workings but everyone in my class is hiding them and covering things oer and they look dark... the ones in the vids though have lots of light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Aidan Hogan

Leejo wrote: »
    Is anyone actually nearly finished? I'd say I need another good week to finish it off and that's not from arseing around.

Anyone using a track as a mechanism, does it work? Can't get mine to work while on the track for love nor money.

me either im still not done !!
    its absolutely wreckin my head nw :O :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SheSaidDestroy

me either im still not done !!
    its absolutely wreckin my head nw :O :(

Neither is anyone in my class, i'm on finishing and assembling it at the moment. The portfolio is another story though, only got like 10 pages or so done :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Aidan Hogan

Neither is anyone in my class, i'm on finishing and assembling it at the moment. The portfolio is another story though, only got like 10 pages or so done :(

i started my portfolio yesterday n put in looooooadsa pics ta fill it up !!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cianjg

I got the DEB mock exam papers marking scheme :D...Ill try scan it into a .rar or something if anyone wants one just pm me :D....its 39 pages of detailed glory!....and it has the special topic in it as well :D

=]™

cianjg wrote: »
    I got the DEB mock exam papers marking scheme :D...Ill try scan it into a .rar or something if anyone wants one just pm me :D....its 39 pages of detailed glory!....and it has the special topic in it as well :D

=]™

Thatd be cool! good job man!

Well i didnt have time to do the whole 39 pages, ive scanned the first question, including special topic, into .pdf and compressed to .rar, click Here .

And as for this portfolio can someone please give me a hand with the analysis of brief i dont know what to write, ive looked at the post a couple of pages back but i still have no clue what to write. Thanks

=]™

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

anaylsis of brief...
    for this quote the key parts of the brief and give a quick interperation in your own words..

for example

"The carousel should:
    (A) Have circular motion controlled by an on/off switch...""
    ...this means that the carousel has to go around and an electronic mechanism should be used to power it...potential mechanisms include the use of a motor and wormwheel,bevel gears etc!....show potential ideas briefly and translate your understanding of the other consraints...even the 9v rule and dimension constraints

• Advertisement

yeah, as slickmcvic said, just fill it up with simple stuff. Type up the entire brief as your first few pages. give dictionary definitions of some of the bold words and explain your interpretation of each of the instructions.
    Then write about some of the different options you could have chosen as a solution to the brief and the pros and cons of each. Finish with the one you chose and explain it in more detail. then add in loads of pictures and diagrams of your work (do the diagrams in CAD if you can. It might take a while but you'll earn more marks for it. If you can get your hands on a copy of solidworks, I'd reccomend it. Google sketchup is free and you can do most of the things you need with it but it can be a little difficult to deal with. Someone lost our schools copy of solidworks so im stuck with google).
    Explain your choice of materials for the various different parts and your assembly techniques.
    Then explain any difficulties or problems you encountered along the way and how you solved them.
    Show how you tested it and explain how well it fulfilled the brief. Say any thing you would have done differently had you been starting again after the experience.
    And finally, make it look pretty!!!

That should pretty much cover everything. If you're unsure about anything as you go along, show it to your teacher or classmates (or me if you like) and ask for their advice. Someone elses eyes are always useful.

yeah, as slickmcvic said, just fill it up with simple stuff. Type up the entire brief as your first few pages. give dictionary definitions of some of the bold words and explain your interpretation of each of the instructions.
    Then write about some of the different options you could have chosen as a solution to the brief and the pros and cons of each. Finish with the one you chose and explain it in more detail. then add in loads of pictures and diagrams of your work (do the diagrams in CAD if you can. It might take a while but you'll earn more marks for it. If you can get your hands on a copy of solidworks, I'd reccomend it. Google sketchup is free and you can do most of the things you need with it but it can be a little difficult to deal with. Someone lost our schools copy of solidworks so im stuck with google).
    Explain your choice of materials for the various different parts and your assembly techniques.
    Then explain any difficulties or problems you encountered along the way and how you solved them.
    Show how you tested it and explain how well it fulfilled the brief. Say any thing you would have done differently had you been starting again after the experience.
    And finally, make it look pretty!!!

That should pretty much cover everything. If you're unsure about anything as you go along, show it to your teacher or classmates (or me if you like) and ask for their advice. Someone elses eyes are always useful.

And it takes me that long to realize you were just asking about the analysis of the brief part!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 clevertop

oh thank god! Day practical what a lovely one .. so easy i had it shining in the bag .. but constrution?? now that was a joke

thanks a millions i finally got the write up done

=]™

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 djasmith

clevertop wrote: »
    oh thank god! Day practical what a lovely one .. so easy i had it shining in the bag .. but constrution?? now that was a joke

exactly! finished after 4 hours or so - nothing rused and got it all polished up too, very nice project this year! yeah construction was a toughie but sure thats the way it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

Mine all finished up too! Heres a video if you want a look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sR1IzvkxH8

Let me know what you think. I know the animation isnt great but electromagnets werent exactly easy to use!

Mine all finished up too! Heres a video if you want a look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sR1IzvkxH8

Let me know what you think. I know the animation isnt great but electromagnets werent exactly easy to use!

... thats nice i like that 1....the electro magnets seem to give a subtle independant motion the models and i'd say u'll get all the marks for "innovation"....some of my pojects used the same rotating table but with a ramp underneath,how did you power the chain form the side..i ended up wrapping a chain aound the table in 1 case....i'll probly post up pics but i'll wait till after their marked

slickmcvic wrote: »
    ... thats nice i like that 1....the electro magnets seem to give a subtle independant motion the models and i'd say u'll get all the marks for "innovation"....some of my pojects used the same rotating table but with a ramp underneath,how did you power the chain form the side..i ended up wrapping a chain aound the table in 1 case....i'll probly post up pics but i'll wait till after their marked

Thanks! I didnt actually use a chain, its just a little rubber wheel running directly off the motor that drives the main disc. A lot of people had problems with wormwheels slipping etc so i thought this might make it a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Thanks! I didnt actually use a chain, its just a little rubber wheel running directly off the motor that drives the main disc. A lot of people had problems with wormwheels slipping etc so i thought this might make it a little easier.

I only had trouble because that gob****e corey had to go and steal my battery :pac:

• Advertisement

I only had trouble because that gob****e corey had to go and steal my battery :pac:

Haha, yeah. Well I dont think anyone is allowed near the projects anymore so he cant screw mine up! haha

any results in yet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SheSaidDestroy

Aye, an A2 for what i thought was a pretty bad project :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭paulhealy1991

i got a b1 with a project that didnt animate the horses. (bevel gears didnt work right) plus the battery had gone dead inside it on the day!!!

...good stuff lads!!

got my A1!!! looks like all that work with the electromagnets payed off!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

Aye, an A2 for what i thought was a pretty bad project :D

Same. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

B1
    thought project was harder than other years,
    happy tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Got an A2 after failing the mocks and the majority of exams before it. I'm delighted, especially considering I didn't do metalwork for the junior cert and was advised not to do engineering. Thank god English was cancelled thursday morning as I crammed so much in that morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 fearanpost

I started engineering in 5th year, didnt have a clue about the subject, got 29 per cent in the mock and ended up with a b1 in honours!! couldnt believe it!! just shows ya how easy practical subjects are 2 get points in...:D

Advertisement