Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert Engineering project 2009???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nl09

i meant to download free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

nl09 wrote: »
    i meant to download free
    Don't think it's shareware/freeware/abandonware so that's illegal, and not allowed here! Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Aidan Hogan

is there any site that you can download the program to do those pictures (solid works??):o

how are all of ye connecting the roof to the rest of it ? ?
    are ye nearly done ! ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 _paula_

ok so,im havin problems,,my project is nowhere near done,lik im not even sure hw my bloody thing is going to move so im lookin for a few ideas..

firstly im using a sort of bevel gear to move my so called going to be horses,i want 2 a them,but i also want 2 kinda spinny things like teacups..was thinkin like gears for them,but ya.

i was thinkin makin everything move off the central pole but the way i was thinking the pole would also have to move,but i was told that it wouldnt work that the central pole cant be moving!!

anyway,any ideas on how i could get that working???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 martin regan

hey is anyone else doing the bevel gears idea and if so where did you get the centre bevel from cause it has to be bigger! and how ye doing the circle roofs?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Aidan Hogan

Offy wrote: »
    What exactly are you trying to do, what is , more info needed.
    its a merry go round !!
    and its bloody annoying now !!:eek::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 meself@large

hey is anyone else doing the bevel gears idea and if so where did you get the centre bevel from cause it has to be bigger! and how ye doing the circle roofs?!

I got my bevel gears at farnell.com . The big one was about 45mm in diameter and the 4 small ones were 15mm . they worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

ok...realised i dont have paint installed on my pc to help describe this...

all you need is a central gear, a motor with a good bit of torque, bevel gears and cams.

try imagine this from left to right, "
    " represents the bar holding the cam and bevel gear.

the O is the cam, this can push a bar up and down which will hold your little figure, cam is connect to a bar which is held up by two supports labeled "|", and bar ends on the bevel "L" which connects to a central gear "E".
    repeated for the four sides and a simple enclosure to make it all fancy and you're done...

O--|
    |---LE

although speaking from experience if you havnt got much done by now you might be pretty pressed for time no matter what why you go about it?

the projects sure have been getting easier, I remember my teach told me years ago they had to make an anemometer (wind speed device), and another a device that could measure the height of clouds!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 boiracer

nearly finished extra classes really help ha,, cant wait to c it all finished and done ! anyone else nearly done or even done??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 batmansuperman

can you use auto CAD to draw up the project?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nuclear_snow

Im not even half finished my project and theres like 2 days left untill the deadline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 derber

Hi i'm new to this, i'm looking for info on some carosells in general, background etc!

I have so info for you! my carosel is simple. base disc a upper disk about 80mm higher. then the one on top!

the hardest thing to do is make the horses move up and down, answer easy CAMS!! two high points to low points then put something that can roll on it to make the horses go up and down!:D

i hope i helped you so can you please give me some help(websites and stuff) thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 derber

Hi i'm new to this, i'm looking for info on some carosells in general, background etc!

I have so info for you! my carosel is simple. base disc a upper disk about 80mm higher. then the one on top!

the hardest thing to do is make the horses move up and down, answer easy CAMS!! two high points to low points then put something that can roll on it to make the horses go up and down!biggrin.gif

i hope i helped you so can you please give me some help(websites and stuff) thanks
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

Is anyone actually nearly finished? I'd say I need another good week to finish it off and that's not from arseing around.

Anyone using a track as a mechanism, does it work? Can't get mine to work while on the track for love nor money.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

i hav to say dat im fairly f***ed.... same wit da rest o da class so dat might b enuf to tell ya dat our teacher is a prick... we get no extra time wat so ever and wen we ask q's all he does is mock us!! i always thought dat we'd scrap through it somehow but honestly now i tink its too late!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 deckersd

Awww the relief - I just finished my project two weeks ago and I have to admit, I think that it is quite possibly the best thing I have ever made haha. I made a video of it and its up on youtube if it might help anybody. I have two figures (a horse and a car) running on a drum cam, another horse running on a swash plate cam and a tea-cup which rotates in the opposite direction to the carousel if you get me?
    Anyways here's the link to the video - (you might want to push the HQ button because the quality isint that good if you don't)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihr9I80QYVw

deckersd wrote: »
    Awww the relief - I just finished my project two weeks ago and I have to admit, I think that it is quite possibly the best thing I have ever made haha. I made a video of it and its up on youtube if it might help anybody. I have two figures (a horse and a car) running on a drum cam, another horse running on a swash plate cam and a tea-cup which rotates in the opposite direction to the carousel if you get me?
    Anyways here's the link to the video - (you might want to push the HQ button because the quality isint that good if you don't)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihr9I80QYVw

haha okay i know I'm quoting myself but I just stuck up a way better vid of the carousel. This was the day I handed it up and it was finally fully done.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsHQj5SGIy8

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

haha okay i know I'm quoting myself but I just stuck up a way better vid of the carousel. This was the day I handed it up and it was finally fully done.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsHQj5SGIy8

...i must say that projects class!!! fair play to ya!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

Looks good. Well done. I will try get a video of mine there and stick it up. Im sure they are all still in the store room :p

.:FuZion:. wrote: »
    Looks good. Well done. I will try get a video of mine there and stick it up. Im sure they are all still in the store room :p

Thanks. Yeah please do stick up a video - I wanna know how good my competition is! I'm really interested to know what everybody else did - most of the ones in my class were pretty samey

• Advertisement

Thanks. Yeah please do stick up a video - I wanna know how good my competition is! I'm really interested to know what everybody else did - most of the ones in my class were pretty samey

I will stick it up ASAP. My teacher said I did a real good job. Alot in my class were the same aswell but the difference was the quality. Most didnt work so I was pleased with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

.:FuZion:. wrote: »
    Most didnt work so I was pleased with mine.

theres not that many marks for it actually working so long as it has the potential to work....
    Deckers make sure your teacher enters your project in the ETTA's young engineers competition...having put that much work in with all your mechanisms desereves to be recognised

slickmcvic wrote: »
    theres not that many marks for it actually working so long as it has the potential to work....

Well I kinda meant alot of them didnt have the potential to work. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

What someone mind posting up the full version of the brief here higher level I just want to double-check something and I left the brief in school.thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cianjg

Has anyone done their write-up yet ???, I have no Idea what to write for it, Has anyone got guidelines on what to do ?
    Thanks
    =]™

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭hello_there_jim

on page 6 or 7 of this topic, someone posted up what you do in the folio, its really good, and thats what i went on!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cianjg

on page 6 or 7 of this topic, someone posted up what you do in the folio, its really good, and thats what i went on!

Cheers ha, I was looking through and got to like page 5ish and I was like theres only 8 pages, maby no one asked already *hits reply*

=]™

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W16xR1nIAK0

There is a vid of my project guys. Sorry for the poor quality. I dont know what ye think about but eh yeah.... :D :pac:

Its hard to make out but there is fluctuations in the track all around. :)

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AndyWhite

looks great dude, but just one thing: How big is it? It looks a bit taller than 350mm but i could be wrong! Nice work though!

i went and overcomplicated mine using electromagnets etc. Anyone else go down a route like that?

• Advertisement

AndyWhite wrote: »
    looks great dude, but just one thing: How big is it? It looks a bit taller than 350mm but i could be wrong! Nice work though!

i went and overcomplicated mine using electromagnets etc. Anyone else go down a route like that?

Are you talking to me or deckersd? :p If you are talking to me, I think it was like 300 I think. I will just presume you are talking to deckersd. :pac:

That sounds good man. Did it work? Or how did you get on with it?

Advertisement