Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert Engineering project 2009???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Deebar

slickmcvic wrote: »
    1060052749a9295187573l.jpg
    Hey, im finding it hard to visualise thid bit, what way would you go about this, or wuld it be easier for the wavey bit to be on top? cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 meself@large

I think the figures go on the poles and are pushed up by the wavy bit. You would have to have somethin holding the top of the poles as well so they wouldn't just fall over when it goes round. You might need a spring to keep them pushed down also if the clearence was low. And you need something to stop the poles from rotating, to keep the figures facing forwards. Also don"t make the slopes on the wavy bit too steep or it will just stop the whole thing.
    Is anyone using an overhead crank mechaism with bevel gears? It isn't that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭kirving

I made the HL Crane last year and did well in it. What I would say is spend a bit of time on your design, it helps in the long run. Use Solidworks! It means you don't have to manually draw out everything afterwards, you just select the views you want and it sets out the drawing(eleveation, plan, end-veiw, ortho) on a sheet. You can also download the models of the motors and other components already made to stick into you model and animate it. It means that making changes to drawings down the line is easy.

The swash plate cam is a good idead if it's made solidly, the ramp design looks good aswell, providing you can make it. But again, makes sure it's solid or it will just liik rickedy.

I'm off to the ETTA conference tomorrow, hopefully I'll see some of the possible solutions!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Flipz4Rollz

Macker91 wrote: »
    Yeh its the ordinary level I like engineering and would prefer to do the higher level but the theory is turning me off this (How hard is the theory ?) !! Thanks a million for the tip got a set of plans from ebay so will use them as a guideline.:)

The theory is not as hard as it looks

Just get proper notes from the teacher and you should be able to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 thomasdubarry

such a cool project !!!! Im half way through it already!! if ur thinking of doing higher u should def look into it !! Its too easy ha!!

Any possible solutions from that conference yet???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

...no suggestions from the conference as the main atraction didnt turn up so it looks llike we're on our ownio with this one!!...got a decent handout on hybrids though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

...no suggestions from the conference as the main atraction didnt turn up so it looks llike we're on our ownio with this one!!...got a decent handout on hybrids though!!

Anyway I could get this handout info off you by any chance.? Not too sure if my teacher went or not.

Another question, what kind of dimensions are you guys using.? I mean like whats the diameter of your base ect.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Tommy_17

what are ye goin to use around the side as the majority ofprojects are circular?
    help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Tommy_17

yeh mate the higher is easy enough like i didnt do it in the junior cert and im doing higher so anyone can if ur really arsed like!!

we have 2 lathes!

god ur teacher must suck cardholder id say get the parts u need urself. on ebay you can purchase pneumatic rams, gears,motors etc hope ive been some sort of help!!

ahrrrgghhh only one lathe working in our school!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Anyne know any good revision books for the course,i tryed picmk,ing one up but revise wise dont seem to make one and me teacher doesnt gve us notes:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ken_d

does anyone have any ideas for the roof of the carousel no?

If you make the top of the carousel in the shape of an octagon with the sides sloped out you could get 8 triangles of perspeq and put them together so they come to a point. This would sit into the octagon and make the roof. Thats what i'm doin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Deebar

Im Vaccum forming the roof outta clear perspex,then im goin to do a row of flashy led's.and then another row of just different coloured LEDs. then a design on the bottom part. I was thinkin of actually engraving stuff,but 2 tricky.

my main problem is the base.im gunna use some wood with varnish etc, and the perspex where the shaft and "wavy bit will sit etc.

could any body do a rough base,with the wavy bit,and the motor included?

Thanks a mill

Dunbar :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Person

Ok my engineering teacher just showed us the supplies we can work with.
    Ive only got an option of using one small motor and an assortment of gears,any ideas?

he probably gave you a stabdard 9volt motor as that is the highest you can use but i found a high torque 9volt whice drives not as fast but with plenty of power!! this is the mock up for how i am to power it.PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?PageNbr=1&MemberId=729566115&PhotoAlbumId=4389513420&PhotoId=9510855113

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

What materials will you all be using?

so far i have a trnasparent perpsex for the bottom of the base to satisfy the brief. i have a brass surround for the base and and a black perspex top for the base!! i am animating the carachters by having four wheels going around the base with the charachter's are attached to them off centre to them when the wheels go around the horses go up and down!! hard to pictur but imagine it kind of like a piston!! its just like this!! http://www.luiemotorfiets.nl/motoren/koppel/Koppel-Vermogen-Klein.gif

I'm using acrylic mirror for the base but the animatation is controled from the top so it dosen't need to be transparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Aidan Hogan

1060052749a9295187573l.jpg
    is there any site that you can download the program to do those pictures (solid works??):o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 like_a_pro

sup, i won first place in the leaving cert 2008 ETTA (engineering technology teachers association) there last week for my forklift project last yr. look ye gotta make somethin that will stand out, and basically if yer on these sites ...that EVERY1 reads these get me?...try somethin different.....who needs motors when it could be powered by electric magnets? or it doesnt have to be "merry go round"...maybe the tea cups...fits the brieF! if u want more ideas...just sent me comment. i'm making the project too this year for my school to put on display with my last yrs so i can help ye via that:)

like_a_pro wrote: »
    sup, i won first place in the leaving cert 2008 ETTA (engineering technology teachers association) there last week for my forklift project last yr. look ye gotta make somethin that will stand out, and basically if yer on these sites ...that EVERY1 reads these get me?...try somethin different.....who needs motors when it could be powered by electric magnets? or it doesnt have to be "merry go round"...maybe the tea cups...fits the brieF! if u want more ideas...just sent me comment. i'm making the project too this year for my school to put on display with my last yrs so i can help ye via that:)

Thank's for the advice!!!!

But I think The Brief Says You do have to Power it With a 9volt motor??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Shedimus

Person wrote: »
    Thank's for the advice!!!!

But I think The Brief Says You do have to Power it With a 9volt motor??
    Electric power cannot exceed 9 volts, you'd need some form of a step up tansformer for the electro magnet to work, I looked into it!
    Was also going to try Lenz's law based project but that would restrict movement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SheSaidDestroy

I'm well on the way with this thing, have most of the pieces cut and shaped.
    I'm using a swashplate cam mechanism where the top will be spinning as well as the top part of the base. The swashplate is going to be fixed.
    I'm using clear perspex for the two top plates, black perspex for the base and swashplate, mild steel bars to attach the figures to and a brass bar holding the swashplate.
    My problem is how to make the damn thing move. I can use bevel gears, a geared motor or a chain and sprocket. I have 40mm space in the base.
    Any ideas? Thanks :D

You could use a worm and worm gear

You could use a worm and worm gear

Hmm i think i want to make only the top disc of the base move. The bars for the figures go down through the top base disc and the bottom part of the top. when the base moves, the bars will carry the top part around with them and move over the swahplate. thats the plan anyway :p
    i was thinking of milling teeth into the underside of the base disc and have the motor drive that directly. can this be done? If so how difficult is it?

I don't know. Sounds hard especially if the base isin't thick. You could drill a circle of holes around the base and have soe kind of a wheel with spikes going up through the holes. When the wheel would rotate the base would twist. But it would be hard to line the holes up properly.
    Mabye if you just got a rubber wheel and rely on friction to turn the base. You could roughen the bottom of the base to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 IrishDesperado

hey , im stuck wit the portfolio and analysis . anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I dont know how to connect the base to the roof.Any ideas?

hey , im stuck wit the portfolio and analysis . anyone got any ideas?

I take it you're doing higher level right?
    Well what i was told to do was write out the design brief, look up the meanings of a few key words (sequential, rotary motion, mechanism, etc)
    Then you go "From my research of these key terms i decided that the carousel must..."
    then a list of bullet points with things like "Move in a circular motion", "have no sharp or jagged edges" and that kinda thing

For the portfolio, i was told to start with an investigation and research bit, about 5-6 pages long. get stuff on wikipedia about bevel gears, worm gears, types of carousel, how carousels are powered and so on. Put in pictures (it fills up space too :P)
    then start on possible solutions: draw up a few ideas (3-5 will do) and say whats good about them and if you wouldnt use them say why (dont fulfill brief, power exceeds 9v, etc)
    Decide on a final solution, draw up a 1:1 drawing (by hand or on solidworks) and then draw up each part seperately
    After that, go on about how you made the project (it helps to take pics of the parts as you make them). That should go on for 8-10 pages or so
    Finally, put in a conclusion and evalution (how did it turn out, are you happy with it, if you were to do it again what would you do differently)

thats how i was told to go about it. Hope that helps, if it made any sense, that is :D lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nl09

could someone tell me where i can get solidworks please:confused: a link would be great thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

nl09 wrote: »
    could someone tell me where i can get solidworks please:confused: a link would be great thanks
    http://www.solidworks.com/ Might be a place to start.

Advertisement