Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert Engineering project 2009???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 howtobeknown

having cams and followers is the best idea i think. its simply and you only need one motor to turn the carousel. The wavy track could be made from vaccum forming could it slick??

And i told you shedimus. Id say ur teacher was raging.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Shedimus

Havent seen him mate I've been off sick with an eye infection last 2 days but I'd say he gonna be raging hah :cool:

I was looking at getting the wavy track CNC milled but we dont have a cnc miling machine and its too expspensive to pay somebody! Plus dont really want someone else to make my project :P
    My main mechanism is defo goiong to be a stationary Swash cam plate

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

having cams and followers is the best idea i think. its simply and you only need one motor to turn the carousel. The wavy track could be made from vaccum forming could it slick??P

yeah I'd say it could but you'll still probably end up making its former from wood yourself.....i was looking in to the idea of using a nice sheet metal like brass to form the "wavey track!...i think that would look class

Yeh I'm hoping to use brass and clear perspex for most of my project with a little aluminium. Do you think it'd look any good?

Shedimus wrote: »
    Yeh I'm hoping to use brass and clear perspex for most of my project with a little aluminium. Do you think it'd look any good?

yeah that'd be good...know whats available and ask your teacher for anything special you might need in advance,it'll help if you have a cutin list made up..i bought in some tinted perspex and it'll be used....
    most schools order from miko metals and central technology so check out their brochoures they should be online

• Advertisement

slickmcvic wrote: »
    i was looking in to the idea of using a nice sheet metal like brass to form the "wavey track!...i think that would look class

Yea it soul but it would be hard to make a circular wavy track out of sheet brass would it not???

Yea it soul but it would be hard to make a circular wavy track out of sheet brass would it not???

what you could do is put the brass flat through a scroll forming jig to get it circulard and bend the profile after...you could also place the sheetmetal on its side to form the profile...i seen it done on a toy (with plastic) today and it worked a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 blahblah123

1060052749a9295187573l.jpg

Any ideas on how to get the figures running along the track without having the roof/base moving in a circle too?

I was looking at a toy carousel the other day and it had a smaller base circular piece connected by a center bar to an identical circular piece that slotted in under the roof/top of the carousel. The motor and gears were connected to the center bar which rotated and pulled the figures along the track.

Now this is a great idea, but, I have run into a problem in respect to my own carousel, I don't know how to keep the circular pieces secure without attaching them to either the roof or base of my piece, and as you well know if I do that it won't turn. Any suggestions to this problem?

you'll have to have some platform rotating to keep everything rotating at the same speed...it would be very hard to have each runner running independentaly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tweety4life

hey im new on this but i mite be able to help ye with yer projects a fair bit.
    my family owns a funfair so i have a fair knowledge on how carousels work.
    if ye wanted to go for a traditional carousel look ye should use a crank shaft suspended in the top of the carousel. also tha cam and follower idea is a great idea. simple and easy enough to do. to hold th bar thats holding the figure on top you can use a simple bracket with a piece of the centre cut out from top to bootom with a pin goin through it.
    if ye av any questions ill be more than happy to help and to hear some other ideas.

• Advertisement

jeez good man!!....you wouldn't upload a few photos of a carousel and its mechanisms...sounds class

:Dstarting cutting out materials monday!!! thank god! im the only one in our class that is starting all thanks to this forum!!! for the folder slick can i have as many ideas as i want?? and what sort of research on carousels should i include?? i know ya have to have 3 ideas and pick one but could ya have like 5 and say why i couldnt use them??

Love the idea of the sheet/ brass idea for the track if you have any more info on this it would be a great help bud!! cheers...

for the folder slick can i have as many ideas as i want?? and what sort of research on carousels should i include?? i know ya have to have 3 ideas and pick one but could ya have like 5 and say why i couldnt use them??...

....yeah having 5 ideas would be fine...i tell the lads to break the project into its key features and suggest various ideas for each feature ( for example,method of driving models in circular motion methods for animating models , shape of model etc)....then combine a couple of these elements and form a finished solution...
    Love the idea of the sheet/ brass idea for the track if you have any more info on this it would be a great help bud!! cheers...

i'lll try and draw up the sheet metal solution over the weekend...i had a video of it on the toy but the cameras at work so i'll upload it on monday

i'lll try and draw up the sheet metal solution over the weekend...i had a video of it on the toy but the cameras at work so i'll upload it on monday

Cheers mate fierce sound of ya!!

1060052749a9368711138o.jpg

wats that?? any one any instructions on how to use solid works i havent a clue?

ah its just showing the idea of havin the sheet metal on its side can be used to make the models move independantly......its the way the toy worked..
    on solidworks opening taskbar go to
    help
    online tutorials
    lesson1

1060052749a9368660594l.jpg

ah its just showing the idea of havin the sheet metal on its side can be used to make the models move independantly......its the way the toy worked..
    on solidworks opening taskbar go to
    help
    online tutorials
    lesson1
    And then spend the next year learning how to do things :D
    Ask your engineering teacher or just draw it out on paper to save time :P

right cheers think i have the basics now any way. and say for construction studies how wud one make truss rafters and ****e like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Whatmaterials would you suggest using?Also what is the last diagram about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

Yea the cam track is the original idea i had myself. any idea on how to connect the horses and the horizontal bar they are on to the main roating piece? bevel gears???

Aluminimum bar, copper or brass sheet, plastic sheet. We got some nice 4mm thick plastic sheet today its a bitch to file.

Is everyone using the cam track idea on this forum?? ha but i spouse it doesnt matter because theres a different examiner for every skul!!

Are bearings really needed in this project our teacher keeps telling us about bearings.

1060052749a9368660594l.jpg

How did you get the motor and gears in solid works???

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

yea i was thinking of using them
    its basically make it work and use the most amount of skills possible
    wtf is with the CNC design anyone have any ideas in how to incorporate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Macker91

Does anyone have any ideas for the dune buggy project for Leaving Cert Engineering 2009. Any good website to get info or plans ? Please help :)

Is that the ordinary level project?? Yea id just look up ebay and websites like that to get ideas. dune buggys are more american. Should be easy enough axle with a gear and a motor with a gear turning the axle. Steel bars welded together for the frame and clear perspe for the bottom should be an easy project. If you are any good at the theory side of engineering you should look into doing higher level its a doddle mate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Macker91

Yeh its the ordinary level I like engineering and would prefer to do the higher level but the theory is turning me off this (How hard is the theory ?) !! Thanks a million for the tip got a set of plans from ebay so will use them as a guideline.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Ok my engineering teacher just showed us the supplies we can work with.
    Ive only got an option of using one small motor and an assortment of gears,any ideas?

Ok my engineering teacher just showed us the supplies we can work with.
    Ive only got an option of using one small motor and an assortment of gears,any ideas?
    Buy stuff yourself from suppliers! ;)
    Or make up an elaborate geared assembly!

• Advertisement

yeh mate the higher is easy enough like i didnt do it in the junior cert and im doing higher so anyone can if ur really arsed like!!

god ur teacher must suck cardholder id say get the parts u need urself. on ebay you can purchase pneumatic rams, gears,motors etc hope ive been some sort of help!!

ahrrrgghhh only one lathe working in our school!!!!!!

Advertisement