Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What anime are you watching or manga are you reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Crunchyroll + AdBlock = Free Membership, however I ended up paying for it as it's got an amazing selection.

I'm up to 21 on Haikyu and it really is a fantastic show. Invested in it now, but it took until the first "proper" match to really get into it.

Plus it's cheap in this country, €40 for a years sub to the standard premium. Its £65 in the UK and $80 in the US.

Closest comparison should be to the UK as it has the same catalogue as here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The fact that they also managed to get the current arc of One Piece is pretty good too. Had to watch up to that point using other less premium sites to watch them, quality was all over the place. Now, if only they could get the first 700 odd episodes too...

The fact that they also managed to get the current arc of One Piece is pretty good too. Had to watch up to that point using other less premium sites to watch them, quality was all over the place. Now, if only they could get the first 700 odd episodes too...

Vpn to the US for the episodes between Enies Lobby and Wano, up to Water 7 is available here premium only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

I'm waiting for the big twist at the end where the treasure was hidden in someone's dress all along.

So finished Haikyu. Amazing show in fairness, how they make volleyball interesting is nothing short of a miracle. Looking forward to future seasons!

Edit: Just realised S4 is already out. Yurt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

So finished Haikyu. Amazing show in fairness, how they make volleyball interesting is nothing short of a miracle. Looking forward to future seasons!

Edit: Just realised S4 is already out. Yurt!

Yes..That why we are talking about "Crunchy Roll" above.

It is fantastic. how they squeeze the drama out of every shot is brilliantly done.
    I laughed out load at many parts too.
    Loved it.

Yeah, they have the characters nailed down, brilliant to watch them all together. And as you said, don't know how they make the drama from it. I've even started watching volleyball videos on YouTube and can see where all the shots come from, etc. I have CR, but thought it was only the OVA's after the 3rd season until I googled it.

Edit: So I'm 5 episodes into S4, and the differences are quite glaring to me. Characters look slightly different, I know Coach's voice actor is different and it's really jarring as it's not that close to the original (like soft Dumbledore vs angry Dumbledore from the HP movies). I Googled and saw all the changes, lead animator and director have not returned, other roles changed. I'll stick with it, but it's a shame to see it decline (to me). Hopefully it picks up further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Bummer to hear Haikyu is gonna dip in animation quality, but at least it didn't pull a One Punch Man and dip immediately at Season 2.

The coach's original VA btw is Nendo from Saiki K. If you don't know who that is, absolutely watch the Disastrous Life of Saiki K, also on Netflix.

So up to date with Haikyu, and while it did take a drop in animation, quality and voice acting, now that it's in the tournament it's getting better again. Still taking a while to get used to some character changes, especially Suga (I think), seems like the most drastic, both visually and personality wise.

Decided to watch what was available of The Misfit of Demon King Academy. I like it. Light-hearted, funny, and different to most other animes which is made obvious from the get go. It's an academy for young-ins to train to become the next Demon King, and new guy halfbreed is there to stir things up, however he's
    actually the reincarnated Demon King everyone is waiting for, but it doesn't go the way he expected.
    I look forward to the rest, it's interesting at least. Looks pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Cotts72

So up to date with Haikyu, and while it did take a drop in animation, quality and voice acting, now that it's in the tournament it's getting better again. Still taking a while to get used to some character changes, especially Suga (I think), seems like the most drastic, both visually and personality wise.

Decided to watch what was available of The Misfit of Demon King Academy. I like it. Light-hearted, funny, and different to most other animes which is made obvious from the get go. It's an academy for young-ins to train to become the next Demon King, and new guy halfbreed is there to stir things up, however he's
    actually the reincarnated Demon King everyone is waiting for, but it doesn't go the way he expected.
    I look forward to the rest, it's interesting at least. Looks pretty good too.

Finished it last month, really good debut season. He's insanely Overpowered which makes it even funnier

• Advertisement

Finished up Misfit of Demon Academy. Really enjoyed it, looking forward to more if there is some. Decided to sign up to the free trial of Funimation, and got a free month too. Which is a good thing, because my god it's a terrible App and even worse on the PS4. Not loading right, having to close out and go back in again if I want to watch the next episode. CR has some issues, but it's like the golden goose compared to Funimation. It's even a pain to scroll through what's available (mainly on the PS4 App), looks like it's made in 480p, constantly crashes, won't load info, won't let me add to my queue and subsequently crashes... Terrible. I won't be allowing it to renew.

But seeing as I have it, started Deca-dence, which is like a poor mans light hearted version of Attack on Titan. Not sure if I'll continue tbh, so I started Trinity Seven instead. Kinda happy I work nights so I'm awake when everyone else is asleep, as I didn't research the show at all, and it's quite lewd (no issue with that, others might) but it's also quite funny and interesting. The most confident main character in an anime yet, and that's really what's keeping me interested so far. I've only a few episodes left in it, so will finish it out (in private).

Finished up Misfit of Demon Academy. Really enjoyed it, looking forward to more if there is some. Decided to sign up to the free trial of Funimation, and got a free month too. Which is a good thing, because my god it's a terrible App and even worse on the PS4. Not loading right, having to close out and go back in again if I want to watch the next episode. CR has some issues, but it's like the golden goose compared to Funimation. It's even a pain to scroll through what's available (mainly on the PS4 App), looks like it's made in 480p, constantly crashes, won't load info, won't let me add to my queue and subsequently crashes... Terrible. I won't be allowing it to renew.

But seeing as I have it, started Deca-dence, which is like a poor mans light hearted version of Attack on Titan. Not sure if I'll continue tbh, so I started Trinity Seven instead. Kinda happy I work nights so I'm awake when everyone else is asleep, as I didn't research the show at all, and it's quite lewd (no issue with that, others might) but it's also quite funny and interesting. The most confident main character in an anime yet, and that's really what's keeping me interested so far. I've only a few episodes left in it, so will finish it out (in private).

It's just as bad on all platforms. It even forces landscape mode on tablets.

Shocking... It's a wonder they're still in business.

Shocking... It's a wonder they're still in business.

They're owned by Sony and have a near monopoly on anime in English territories, not going to happen.

I bought a HDMI to connect my laptop to the TV so I can watch Funimation. Otherwise the header obscures the player and when it's full screen on the laptop the progress bar etc are always on top.

Since you're watching Funi Shimoneta is one of the funniest things you can watch and you might like Claymore too.

Shin Godzilla is only for premium members too.

I'll be honest, I don't think my patience will let me watch after I've finished the current ones. Being owned by Sony, you'd think it would at least work properly on the PS4, my main source for watching things.

I'll be honest, I don't think my patience will let me watch after I've finished the current ones. Being owned by Sony, you'd think it would at least work properly on the PS4, my main source for watching things.

While they are owned by Sony they are a part of Picture Television and not Computer Entertainment and have no communication between the divisions.

Of course, how could I forget that multinationals don't allow communication between their own companies. My bad, was expecting a miracle I suppose! The crowd I work for have trouble communicating between Limerick and Dublin, so should have known.

Of course, how could I forget that multinationals don't allow communication between their own companies. My bad, was expecting a miracle I suppose! The crowd I work for have trouble communicating between Limerick and Dublin, so should have known.

Indeed. At least now they've kicked Sony Music and Pictures Television in the nuts so Funimation and Aniplex of America aren't cannibalising each others market.

The corporate divisions are strange, Sony's most lucrative game IP is owned by the TV division.

• Advertisement

Seems Sony have finalized a deal to buy Crunchyroll from AT&T. AT&T were initially looking for $1.5B and Sony walked away, final deal is just below $1B.

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2020-10-30-sony-set-to-buy-crunchyroll-for-nearly-usd1bn

This effectively gives Sony a monopoly on worldwide anime streaming as well as English language home video.

Are they going to fold one into the other or be competing with themselves?

Evade wrote: »
    Are they going to fold one into the other or be competing with themselves?

Most likely is that Funimation Now will be folded into Crunchyroll and Funimation will have the physical releases and dubbing. Either that or it will revert to the way it was under the old deal with Funimation Now having the dubs and Crunchyroll having the subs.

Tbh this is not good for consumers outside North America, there was a 2 year black hole here for home releases under the last Crunchyroll x Funimation deal.

It's not really good for anyone.

Evade wrote: »
    It's not really good for anyone.

Yeah, it gives Sony Picture Television(Crunchyroll & Funimation Now) and Sony Music(Wakanim & AnimeLab) pretty much a global monopoly on anime streaming.

It also gives Sony Picture Television(Funimation & Manga Entertainment) and Sony Music(Aniplex of America & Madman Entertainment) an effective monopoly on the English language home video market.

Time to motto nihongo benkyo shimasu and VPN my Netflix to Japan.

I've given up on Funimation. I just can't. PS4 is my main way of watching, and I have to close the Funimation app after every episode in order to watch the next one. And that's if I get through an episode without it freezing. Then it won't remember where I last watched and usually recommends an episode or 2 behind where I was. Just can't. I've cancelled and went to town in the 'cancellation survey'. Madness they're charging for that kind of service.

With the deal above, I'm hoping they move everything to CR as even though it could do with a bit of work, it's like caviar to Funimations christmas dinner in a tin. Just about managed to finish Trinity Seven, and I reckon some of the enjoyment was taken away by the App, but overall I liked it. Basically borderline ecchi but funny enough to keep me watching. Haven't finished Deca-dence and not pushed anymore.

Tried to start Blood of Zeus on Netflix, but after 4 solid years of watching subs, the english voices are terrible in comparison.

I think the only thing Funi has over CR is the ability to turn off subtitles which hardly anyone would need. I used to prefer dubs but I find I can't go back now either. Netflix occasionally starts playing the dub for something and it just isn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I've given up on Funimation. I just can't. PS4 is my main way of watching, and I have to close the Funimation app after every episode in order to watch the next one. And that's if I get through an episode without it freezing. Then it won't remember where I last watched and usually recommends an episode or 2 behind where I was. Just can't. I've cancelled and went to town in the 'cancellation survey'. Madness they're charging for that kind of service.

With the deal above, I'm hoping they move everything to CR as even though it could do with a bit of work, it's like caviar to Funimations christmas dinner in a tin. Just about managed to finish Trinity Seven, and I reckon some of the enjoyment was taken away by the App, but overall I liked it. Basically borderline ecchi but funny enough to keep me watching. Haven't finished Deca-dence and not pushed anymore.

Tried to start Blood of Zeus on Netflix, but after 4 solid years of watching subs, the english voices are terrible in comparison.

Finished blood of zeus this morning, thought it was decent enough! Between that and castlevania Netflix haven't done too bad... Dragons dogma on the other hand.. Garbage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I watched Queen's Gambit on Netflix, which is a show about Chess and not an anime.

It was pretty good, but it really just drove home how much better anime is getting across concepts for niche interests the audience doesn't necessary know anything about.

Like in Haikyuu the team is represented by a crow trying to fly, their rivals are cat or an eagle. Difficulties of getting the ball over the net are represented by an iron wall, and fighting a powerful opponent is represented by that opponent literally pinning our heroes under his massive body, and them struggling to overcome him by pushing up with all their might. Plus I feel like a goddamn volleyball expert after watching the first three seasons. I know rules, terms and playstyles I didn't before.

All the big moments in Queen's Gambit are shots of the players faces, crowd reactions or musical montages. They don't really show the board because an audience of laypeople can't follow top level chess, and they can't do any cool analogies (like a crow fighting a cat by a dumpster) to get across to us what is happening in any kind of abstract sense, because that would be super weird to do outside of anime.

Just something to think about. Anime affords us some cool visual storytelling, and exciting ways to learn about real world hobbies we previously had no idea about.
    I watched seven 1 hour episodes of Queen's Gambit, and I learned nothing about Chess.

Advertisement