Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What anime are you watching or manga are you reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Evade wrote: »
    The season is over if you want to binge the rest of it.

It's over already!? I was an episode behind!

Darwin game is class

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Re:Zero is back!

Promised Neverland season 2 and both new Cells at Work are on Funimation. I'm going to have to join the Houshou Kaizokudan just so I can watch them without it buffering every three seconds, aren't I?

CR's lineup seems a very thin this season, only 14 plus whatever is continuing from last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

I finished Alice in Borderland, not bad overall if a bit cheesy at times. It reminded me of Darwin's Game.

If you liked Alice in Borderlands you need to read Gantz.
    Fantastic.

Ive started watching Beaststars on Netflix. Animation is excellent but content id pretty twisted tbh.

Parsnips wrote: »
    If you liked Alice in Borderlands you need to read Gantz.
    Fantastic.
    I've seen the movie on Netflix, it looks good.

I've seen the movie on Netflix, it looks good.

Yes its great. the movie is also a seperate story to the books FYI...
    ......The manga is fantastic

• Advertisement

Parsnips wrote: »
    Yes its great. the movie is also a seperate story to the books FYI...
    ......The manga is fantastic
    I'm looking for a manga with furigana, I was leaning toward Claymore. It looks like Gantz doesn't have it doesn't but it's supposed to be pretty easy to read anyway. Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So the new season has started, already have two big names out the gate with new episodes today (Re:Zero and The Promised Neverland)

With so many good shows coming, maybe we could get a sticky thread going with the days certain shows air and the sites they are streaming on?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm in 2 minds about starting Re:Zero, would like to binge them but don't think I can wait. Unlike other animes, the episodes are a good length so it doesn't feel as bad weekly compared to say, One Piece.

Speaking of, I started World Trigger out of boredom and it looked like it was a complete show with 60 odd episodes. Like One Piece however, each episode is about 30% recap, and even more annoyingly the credits are in the middle of the episode! CR need to pull up their socks and introduce a skip intro like Netflix. The anime itself seems alright, and just read there's a season 2 starting this month and a season 3 confirmed. Don't think this'll be a weekly watch if the current formula keeps up. Even with OP I wait a few weeks and binge a few episodes together. But I did get to see that lovely part during the big attack half way through the season where Yuma takes on Viza, oh that ended brilliantly!

Finished Jujutsu Kaisen, looking forward to more of that. Same with I'm Standing On A Million Lives. Both not bad, worth watching imo. Also watched In Another World with my Smartphone, and it's a quite ecchi but overall enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I'm in 2 minds about starting Re:Zero, would like to binge them but don't think I can wait. Unlike other animes, the episodes are a good length so it doesn't feel as bad weekly compared to say, One Piece.

I love One Piece, but it's definitely not a "Sit back and let it auto play" kinda show, it's a "Finger on the mouse wheel to liberally skip forward" one.

You gotta get your 13/14 minutes of new content out of each 22 minute airing.

Which sucks because it's great, but it is not a show that respects your time.

Most egregious example was when 7 characters jumped off a bridge, and as they were falling flashed back to how they met.

Not in brief flashes though, but by slapping on "Super Gameboy borders" on the sides of the screen and just replaying each original episode where they met in it's ENTIRETY! (borders was because original episode aired in 4:3).

It took 7 goddamn episodes for them to jump off a bridge.....

Just watched promised neverland season 2 ep1. Really forgot how brilliant this show is

• Advertisement

Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed binging the first ~700 episodes when I started it, and was easily my favourite anime, but weekly does not suit it imo. It hasn't evolved either, still doing episodes the same as the beginning, with a lot of wasted time on flashbacks and "Breaking Bad" moments where nothing happens. But when the action is going, it's fantastic, really looking forward to the fight with Kaido.

Yuru Camp and Non Non Byori in the same season, maximum comfy.

So Dr. Stone Season 2 has started, episode 2 due this Friday (on CR). Excellent.

Edit: I also caved and watched Re:Zero. Tonights episode was guuuuuuuud, excellent ending! Really starting to heat up now, and thoroughly enjoyed Otto's backstory.

I'm watching Kuroko Basketball on Netflix.

It's.... okay?

If Haikyu is the 10/10 sports anime, this is like a 4 or a 5.

But Haikyu has introduced the notion in my brain that sports anime can be good, so Kuroko is getting patience from me it does not deserve as a dumb popcorn sports anime.

The central premise is that the main character (who seems to be the only person in-universe with blue hair and/or eyes) is SOOOOO unremarkable in appearance and presence, he can seemingly turn invisible. Being invisible is obviously a useful talent in team sports.

So yeah, that's pretty dumb. Give it a go with incredibly low expectations.

I've been trying to find a Haikyu replacement myself, but nothing has been grabbing me. By all accounts, Haikyu is so good because it explains the game in an excellent way, and always has something new to add. I was thinking of giving Kuroko Basketball a go, but you're not selling it! :pac: Are the soccer ones any good does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Alvaro887

I am going to be mentioning points for the bleach anime.
    The artwork style: Bleach become awesome for his artwork style whilst it came to man or woman design, they were cool, good-looking and appeared older than they have been. Later on, the art developed to be one of the maximum stunning patterns at that point, you can notice it on the hueco mundo arc. The anime did it justice by means of preserving it.
    The combat system: We've seen tremendous powers cable of destroying the sector, and we've visible samurai preventing with fashion and beauty, combine those two and also you get bleach, the anime right here did a extremely good activity, the combat scenes had been nicely finished, grimmjo vs ichigo is one of the pleasant fights in anime.
    The overall atmosphere of the manga and anime itself felt cool and fashionable .
    The track in anime changed into super, the openings were extraordinary.
    Go watch it.

I finished Kuroko Basketball. I enjoyed it overall but I still think it's mediocre to bad. The last episode was like a fight in the Xmen: A guy who is physically super powerful and moves so fast you can't see him, versus a guy who can steal your basketball powers by watching you.

This is in pretty stark contrast to Haikyu where the most physically remarkable character was "A really big guy who is also left handed"

I think Kuroko is a shonen combat show pretending to be a sports anime, the same as how CSI is a fantastical sci fi show pretending to be a police procedural

I started watching Demon Slayer, which is also on Netflix because I heard the movie recently broke the box office record in Japan that was set by goddamn SPIRITED AWAY.

I'm surprised to find it's a completely unremarkable shonen combat anime.

I'll stick with it for a bit. At least it's honest about the sword combat and not pretending it's really about Badminton.

I started watching Demon Slayer, which is also on Netflix because I heard the movie recently broke the box office record in Japan that was set by goddamn SPIRITED AWAY.

I'm surprised to find it's a completely unremarkable shonen combat anime.

I'll stick with it for a bit. At least it's honest about the sword combat and not pretending it's really about Badminton.

I only finished watching it for the 4th time when it came to Netflix. I forgot how stunning it was. There's a one second scene where they're moving in some woods, and there's second of just showing the woods, and I actually thought it was a picture. The water is also stunning in it, and once you get into the fights proper, you'll see why it has won everything. There are maybe 4 standout scenes I will always remember.

Bring on Mugen Train!!!

Re:Zero is getting right interesting and also quite confusing I'm finding. I'm stuck to it, mad to see where it's going, and it's a bit darker than other animes so makes a nice change. Genuinely no idea what's going to happen in it. World Trigger suffers from weekly viewing.

I only finished watching it for the 4th time when it came to Netflix. I forgot how stunning it was. There's a one second scene where they're moving in some woods, and there's second of just showing the woods, and I actually thought it was a picture. The water is also stunning in it, and once you get into the fights proper, you'll see why it has won everything. There are maybe 4 standout scenes I will always remember.

Bring on Mugen Train!!!

Re:Zero is getting right interesting and also quite confusing I'm finding. I'm stuck to it, mad to see where it's going, and it's a bit darker than other animes so makes a nice change. Genuinely no idea what's going to happen in it. World Trigger suffers from weekly viewing.

I second this on demon slayer, its amazing. Visually it's a masterpiece. Episode 19 still has one of the greatest anime scenes I've ever seen

Speaking of, Demon Slayer Mugen Train has been nominated for the Best Animated Picture in the Japanese Annual Academy Awards, and Demon Slayer has sold 10 times as many volumes in 2020 as the manga in second place, Kingdom (82 million vs 8 million). It's taking over Japan!

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1333129568308310019?s=20

• Advertisement

Speaking of, Demon Slayer Mugen Train has been nominated for the Best Animated Picture in the Japanese Annual Academy Awards, and Demon Slayer has sold 10 times as many volumes in 2020 as the manga in second place, Kingdom (82 million vs 8 million). It's taking over Japan!

Can't wait till its actually available to watch over here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Can't wait till its actually available to watch over here

It's getting a cinema release from Manga. Fecking Sony playing favorites as the series is with Anime Limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Had to google those Demon Slayer numbers as had to be wrong or at least not telling the whole truth. Seems to have got a lot of people buying the full run after it finished last year.

Going by the individual volume sales, seems it's only recent volumes for the rest are charting at all but the full 23 volumes seemed to have sold 3-4m each in 2020, compared to 2019 where is was ~800k for that years 3 volumes.

If Oda ever finishes one piece he might finish off the rainforest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 ReahKelly

I am watching "Great Pretender" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

New to the "Anime forum" and didn't know it existed lol... anyway, I've been watching the new currently airing anime "Horimiya" which is going really well, it's soft, sweet and has such a natural feel to it, it's only on episode 5 but it's already feeling like a top 10 the way it's going...

Apparently it's the 13th best manga on MyAnimeList so that's intriguing.

I've been watching anime now for about 6 years this coming summer, so I can immediately tell when something is more appealing, and this most certainly is. :D

Im half way tru Season 4 of Haikyu.
    It really is the best anime ive watched to date.

the emotion they are pulling from volleyball is absolutley astounding and the character development gets better and better
    cannot recommend enough.

Clicking around random anime on Netflix, accidentally watched an episode of "High School DxD".

It was tagged as "fantasy" which I interpreted as "swords and sorcery fantasy", but it actually meant "Sexual fantasy, with conversations and visuals exclusively about breasts"

Seems pretty terrible, don't waste 20 minutes like I did

Edit: Somewhat related, but is it just me or is there way more new anime on Netflix recently? Not sure if it's actually new or if the algorithm is serving me differently.

Probably a combination of algorythems and Netflix actually splashing cash on anime, it's starting to become a huge global market recently, and I know of a lot more people these days who watch anime. Although, I'm one of those who considers anime everything Japanese or with that style, and everything else is a cartoon (Castlevania, etc).

Started watching Haikyuu from the start again. Still one of the best animes of recent times, it's constantly feel good, even in the depressing parts. Amazing what they did with that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Can't download at the min, anyone recommend somewhere to watch Berserk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Burzum wrote: »
    Can't download at the min, anyone recommend somewhere to watch Berserk.

2016 is on Crunchyroll, it is available from the US on bluray region B.

It's ~$60 including shipping and Irish vat.

https://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Complete-Blu-ray-Carrie-Keranen/dp/B07PYJ456J/

As for the 1997 series it is €31 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Berserk-Collection-Standard-Blu-ray-Takahashi/dp/B06XFZFHK4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=berserk+blu+ray&qid=1613684416&sr=8-2

Dont think the Golden Age movies are available for legal streaming and are oop on bluray

Advertisement