Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What anime are you watching or manga are you reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What do you expect from a season with a bunch of Death Note characters hidden in it.

:eek:

You're gonna have to explain that to me now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

:eek:

You're gonna have to explain that to me now
    Look carefully at the bystanders in this scene.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Omg LOL that is brilliant :D!

Invisible Victory is amazing, one episode left, not sure what to watch next.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Got up to date with Baki. I don't know why they're still trying to weave a story into it, but it's just pointless at this stage. Fights are still awesome though, but it doesn't stand up to Kengan Ashura imo, and even the recently watched Killing Bites is just that bit better.

• Advertisement

Out of boredom and a lack of knowledge, I decided to throw on 'Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions.' It seemed to be the best out of a bad bunch of what I have available. And I'm liking it. Reminds me of when I was that age and I was still into that kinda stuff (with the right people, I'm sure I could act out similar scenes, as I secretly still wish I had powers...). Interested to see where it goes, what with every other anime I like having actual magic, etc in it. The name was putting me off though, so I'm not sure how it'll pan out...

I'm open to recommendations...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

That's a slice of life gateway drug, you'll be watching seasonal moe blobs before you know it.

Girls Und Panzer
    Little Witch Academia
    Anohana
    A Silent Voice
    Your Name
    Black Lagoon

All on Netflix.

So I finished it. I think I was secretly hoping the fantasy would become reality in the show, it wasn't until I'd finished it that I read about it (previous reading of anime before watching has spoiled a few things so I don't do it any more) that it's a romantic comedy. It was good, but not what I was looking for, and I think I'm done with romcom anime, for now anyway. Much prefer the fantasy/power within types.

I'm catching up on the second season of Kaguya Sama but Funimation isn't making it easy. It's pretty much more of the same which is exactly what I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Really enjoying tower of god, it's random and different but still has me gripped (especially the penultimate episodes cliffhanger ending)

• Advertisement

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Really enjoying tower of god, it's random and different but still has me gripped (especially the penultimate episodes cliffhanger ending)

Is it a complete season? I was in two minds as I wasn't sure if it was affected by Covid and I didn't want to watch half a season!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Is it a complete season? I was in two minds as I wasn't sure if it was affected by Covid and I didn't want to watch half a season!

Yeah complete, final episode next week

It's a complete season but not a complete story if that's what you meant.

EDIT: Never mind I thought this week was the last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Cotts72 wrote: »

Tower of God has me all sorts of f***** up after the last episode, I even went to look at the weebtoon but i dont know if want to ruin the anime for myself as i really like the style they've gone with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Resubbed to Netflix and ground through a few of their "Originals"

More Saiki-K, always welcome. One of the funniest animes out there.

Watched some of Hi Score Girl, did make me nostalgic (which think was the idea) for hitting up arcades on my holidays in Courtown almost 3 decades ago: the sounds of multiple machines around you, learning of a new machine/game having been installed, the gentlemans agreement of placing coins on the machine to call "next". Only fantastical part I can find is the kid endlessly talking about games has two girls throwing themselves at him...that wasnt my recollection of how it went!

Beaststars, once you get past the anime Zootopia/"hurhur lol furries" comparisons is damn good. Interesting concept of how preedators/prey could co-exist (or not, as it pains to lay out). Plus, even though its CGI the animation is astounding, and the direction is great in a lot of the scenes.

Lastly, Dorohedro is amazing. Just love it! Animation isnt the best ( a lot of the human faced characters look too much like Mirio from MyHero IMO) but the sheer absurdity and inventiveness of the scenario is astounding. Plus, now I know why Ebisu is best shark-mascot.

Evade wrote: »
    It's a complete season but not a complete story if that's what you meant.

EDIT: Never mind I thought this week was the last episode.

And good thing it's not! Would have been bastards to leave it like that! Good show, just binged the whole lot (while "working"). I do like it. Rak is brilliant. Looking forward to the finale next week,
    so Bam can bust that bitch up. Knew it was coming, didn't know how it would happen.

What's his actual name though? I know everything says Bam, but it doesn't sound like they're saying Bam.

What's his actual name though? I know everything says Bam, but it doesn't sound like they're saying Bam.
    This drives me nuts about the subs. He's subbed as Bam, but called Yoru in the dialogue. Bam is Korean, Yoru is Japanese they both mean night. They do the same with shinsu and kami no mizu. Both mean divine/holy water in Koren and Japanese respectively.

So I initially watched the first 11 episodes of Sword Art Online a few months back, but never finished it for some reason. Finished the second season last night. The first half of the first season was brilliant. Excellent idea, good scenes, great world. But it went downhill after that, once the threat was removed. Second season was not doing it for me until Kirito got involved proper, stolen weapon and sound affects included. Second half of season 2 was just pants though. Couldn't wait for it to end, and just seemed like filler.

I've apparantly to watch a film now, and then I can start season 3, but I'm not that hopeful for it tbh. I can't see how they could pull it off without the immediate threat from the first half of season 1.

Once they got out of Aincrad it really went downhill. The SAO side story Gun Gale Online is good. There's no real life or death stakes apart from one character taking a video game a little too seriously.

Evade wrote: »
    Once they got out of Aincrad it really went downhill. The SAO side story Gun Gale Online is good. There's no real life or death stakes apart from one character taking a video game a little too seriously.

It's also written by the author of Kino's Journey and not Reki Kawahara.

Pity the novels of Kino's Journey are not licensed in English. At least the manga is available.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I feel it would have been better to have it so that only the winner/winning team get out, the rest are 'stuck'. Would give good reason to go back in and do it all again with a limited area to be able to leave from if you do go back in (would have resulted in some good chases to the exit imo). Felt rushed too, whereas I thought the first half of season 1 could have done an entire season itself.

Yeah, I feel it would have been better to have it so that only the winner/winning team get out, the rest are 'stuck'. Would give good reason to go back in and do it all again with a limited area to be able to leave from if you do go back in (would have resulted in some good chases to the exit imo). Felt rushed too, whereas I thought the first half of season 1 could have done an entire season itself.

It was rushed. The first book only covers the main Aincrad arc, with the following book going back and fleshing out the side stories.

You have to remember SAO was originally written as a single volume book for a young writers award.

If you want a much better version read SAO Progressive, which is a rewrite of Aincrad covering one floor per volume. Publication is slow though due to Reki Kawahara also writing the mainline SAO and Accel World concurrently.

Fyi the start of the anime follows the first volume of Progressive and not the original version.

There's some interesting facts I did not know. Unfortunately, I don't read the... well, anything really. Prefer watching it (and hearing it in Japanese), even though I know the written word is always better. Didn't realise it was a competition entry, explains the pace of it somewhat and why the start was better. I'll wait for the eventual anime of Progressive (my vote currently with Ufotable to make, if they get past this tax evasion business, love their animes).

I'll horse on through the 3rd season, it's starting up again in a few weeks so I don't mind getting up to date. It actually made me pick up Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization the other day, was only €9 and played a bit of it, seems pretty good.

There's some interesting facts I did not know. Unfortunately, I don't read the... well, anything really. Prefer watching it (and hearing it in Japanese), even though I know the written word is always better. Didn't realise it was a competition entry, explains the pace of it somewhat and why the start was better. I'll wait for the eventual anime of Progressive (my vote currently with Ufotable to make, if they get past this tax evasion business, love their animes).

I'll horse on through the 3rd season, it's starting up again in a few weeks so I don't mind getting up to date. It actually made me pick up Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization the other day, was only €9 and played a bit of it, seems pretty good.

Fatal Bullet is on Game Pass if you have an Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I've always felt like SAO is a fairly interesting premise with an incredibly disappointing execution.

Even just the transition between Episode 1 "Haha you're all stuck in the game and will die here" and Episode 2 "6 months have passed offscreen, X% of the population is dead and Kirto is Lv. Infinity and amazing at everything" was a real missed opportunity. Seeing the early days of people being stuck in the game would have been way more interesting than what we got.

Also Kirito himself is a bit of a dull Mary Sue main character.

I thought the comedy abridged series was legitimately more interesting and nuanced than the original implementation.

Also doesn't hurt that it's funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I watched it for the first time in November, I still can't understand why they threw out the whole premise of the show only 15 episodes in.

I've always felt like SAO is a fairly interesting premise with an incredibly disappointing execution.

Even just the transition between Episode 1 "Haha you're all stuck in the game and will die here" and Episode 2 "6 months have passed offscreen, X% of the population is dead and Kirto is Lv. Infinity and amazing at everything" was a real missed opportunity. Seeing the early days of people being stuck in the game would have been way more interesting than what we got.

Also Kirito himself is a bit of a dull Mary Sue main character.

I thought the comedy abridged series was legitimately more interesting and nuanced than the original implementation.

Also doesn't hurt that it's funny.

It's even worse in the novel. It pretty much skips from the first floor boss to the 51st floor and Kirito doesn't meet Asuka until then. After that it only deals with clearing the rest of the labyrinth, all the stuff with Liz and Silica etc are side stories covered in the second volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Finally popped in that Fruits Basket DVD I purchased 10 years ago with the first 6 episodes. Seems enjoyable enough as a fun screwball comedy type show. I look forward to seeing the rest of the series and new reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Finally watching Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex.
    Just a wee bit later than everyone else

• Advertisement

Japan Sinks 2020 is really bad. The first three episodes were kind of interesting but it went downhill fast from there. I've got three or four episodes left and I'm only going to watch them to see how low it can sink.

Advertisement