Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Which colour houses are elm park? I only know where Oaklawns is up there..

White ones, the entrance to it is a minute or so up the road left when you go out the east gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

shano_88 wrote: »
    Anyone know why there was a ambulance speeding towards the concert hall/drumroe today Around 4?

Someone collapsed in the library

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

Not directly UL related but went to the teaching fair there last week or two weeks ago? (FYP has melted my brain) and now I keep getting phone calls and emails about jobs even when I tell them to leave me be they keep calling when amazing schools come up that are the best school in the whole world according to them!!!!!

Seriously there is only one that was like grand I understand how stressed and busy you are and we can talk after your FYP is in - which what I told ALL of them I wanted to do in the first place!!!!

Seriously have gotten 4 phone calls this morning!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

This may be a stupid question, but where is the Millstream Courtyard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Going to take a shot in the dark and say the one before crossing living bridge from college side..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Realised how girls get nothing done in the library..
    Know myself it's usually a mixture of Facebook and various other websites..
    Always wondered what girls do as whenever I glance away to see if anyone's spotted me doing nothing, they always look really pro-active. Always working.
    Now however, I'm in library on a day off as I've no internet at home and am able to assess surroundings better...
    Girls, at least in Italy, spend most of their time, stroking their hair and pulling out stray and split ends..
    Almost transfixed watching it.. Hypnotic and rhythmic..
    One across from me has been doing it for near an hour.
    Think I need to grow my hair longer..
    Looks like she's reading as well so at least she's getting something done..

On review this looks like a really creepy post but it's not.. :P
    Getting stuff done myself, booking things, just managed to pick up on a few observations.. :P

Speaking of libraries... why is it so full? I was lucky to find a seat, my two friends are still wandering around. Seriously people, it's a lovely day, go sit outside!

Also, as I thought, I was left to clean the whole house. I did a bit yesterday evening and came downstairs this morning to find it nearly as bad as it was so I was cleaning from 8 until half 11 when we had the inspection. One of my housemates ran a brush along the floor (I wouldn't call it sweeping due to the large sections of dirt still on the ground) and asked if the floor really needed mopping when I came in with the mop. I even tried to clean the biohazard of a toilet downstairs however, not even half a bottle of straight bleach could get everything off. I was still cleaning when the manager came. What did he give us? 5/10. Seriously, I spent nearly four hours scrubbing, the rest of the house was just about sterile and what did he mark us down on? The oven and the fridge which I hadn't gotten round to cleaning...

Just read the email that was sent... the floors need to be swept and mopped? They were still wet when the manager came in!
    Empty all bins... yeah, cool, I'll just dump an entire bin bag because of the dust from the sweeping is in it.
    Clean freezer.... there's nothing wrong with either freezer, unless you mean take out the ice...
    Take out all rubbish from boiler... you mean the box with binbags in it?

Is there any point in contesting these things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Was walking around the library for ages and couldn't find a seat that had a plug so I came home :(.. If anyone's in the library and notices it getting quite please post here :P

I have such a big to-do list and it's not gonna get done at home :(

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Was walking around the library for ages and couldn't find a seat that had a plug so I came home :(.. If anyone's in the library and notices it getting quite please post here :P

I have such a big to-do list and it's not gonna get done at home :(

I hope it clears out by like 5. I've a 'lab report' to do thats actually basically a journal article :/

iLaura wrote: »
    I hope it clears out by like 5. I've a 'lab report' to do thats actually basically a journal article :/

I just remembered I've a lecture at 4 and I cycled the whole way home. Gotta go in again now, I hope the library is quieter after it!

• Advertisement

Usually dies down around 5 or 6. Then again, it's usually only completely full during study week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

What's the email for Lost and Found? I'm using lost&found2@ul.ie but it's saying that email was not sent as the email doesn't exist.

I'm after losing E45 somewhere in college today and if I don't have it, I'm fúcked till next Friday.

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    What's the email for Lost and Found? I'm using lost&found2@ul.ie but it's saying that email was not sent as the email doesn't exist.

I'm after losing E45 somewhere in college today and if I don't have it, I'm fúcked till next Friday.

If you log onto the portal it usually has a bit on the right hand side of the page with a lost and found, iirc

I wish the library stayed open later than 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Oh my God the library was full today. There really need to be more desks especially with the majority of the desks in the reading room gone. I couldn't find a single empty seat!! As a result I wandered into the post grad area found a seat and hid there while I finished an essay!

On the plus side got through my serious workload (three essays and two presentations straight after submitting the FYP) and don't have any pressing assignments for a week or two! :D Gonna relax tonight!

Oh my God the library was full today. There really need to be more desks especially with the majority of the desks in the reading room gone. I couldn't find a single empty seat!! As a result I wandered into the post grad area found a seat and hid there while I finished an essay!

On the plus side got through my serious workload (three essays and two presentations straight after submitting the FYP) and don't have any pressing assignments for a week or two! :D Gonna relax tonight!

I found a seat on the top floor and sat down then realised there was no plug and every other seat was full :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Why are the school children still knocking around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I found a seat on the top floor and sat down then realised there was no plug and every other seat was full :(

Oh that's the worse, just when you think you've gotten a seat. Always be suspicious of empty seats when the library is busy. Always.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Probably getting cards from brothers/sisters or parents who work for UL. They should introduce finger print scanning! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

There needs to be some facility for them to open up an overflow area for seating from the library. It's gotten completely ridiculous, I know the government wouldn't fund the extension but that doesn't mean the problem should have been ignored.

They could also do with cracking down on people leaving laptops and books at desks for the whole day. I was sitting at a seat for 3 hours and there were 5 seats near me full of laptops and books but no one sat at them while I was there.

• Advertisement

Subutai wrote: »
    There needs to be some facility for them to open up an overflow area for seating from the library. It's gotten completely ridiculous, I know the government wouldn't fund the extension but that doesn't mean the problem should have been ignored.

They could also do with cracking down on people leaving laptops and books at desks for the whole day. I was sitting at a seat for 3 hours and there were 5 seats near me full of laptops and books but no one sat at them while I was there.

I thought they got funding?

As long as they don't do what they do in study week and only give you half an hour. I know the place is full but it's not fair to be in there all day and not have time to go for a proper lunch. A balance would be nice.

sup_dude wrote: »

As long as they don't do what they do in study week and only give you half an hour. I know the place is full but it's not fair to be in there all day and not have time to go for a proper lunch. A balance would be nice.

UL have secured government funding for the library extension in the latest budget.
    There's been 3 free desks around me all evening, and I've been here since 5.40.

But yeah, I definitely agree on the whole 30 mins thing. There's no way you'd get to Stables/Scholars/Paddocks and order food and eat it and be back 30 mins. I can barely drink a cup of tea in that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Yep, but they had needed it years ago with the expansion of the student population.

I could see an hour as being fine. In my experience I've yet to see them take any action other than placing a bit of paper on a desk, I've never seen them clearing one.

UL have secured government funding for the library extension in the latest budget.
    There's been 3 free desks around me all evening, and I've been here since 5.40.

But yeah, I definitely agree on the whole 30 mins thing. There's no way you'd get to Stables/Scholars/Paddocks and order food and eat it and be back 30 mins. I can barely drink a cup of tea in that time!

I came in at half 2 and I just happened to come across a girl leaving. My friends were walking around for another 10 minutes looking for desks. Not sure if they found any or just went home. It always gets a bit quieter around 5/6

I came in at half 2 and I just happened to come across a girl leaving. My friends were walking around for another 10 minutes looking for desks. Not sure if they found any or just went home. It always gets a bit quieter around 5/6

Personally if I see a desk with a copy thrown on it with no one obviously sitting there doing work I'll always go and ask the person on either side if someone is actually sitting there. Nine times outta ten I'll be told there is, but there are the rare few who'll move the stuff back onto their desk and let you sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Best time for the library is from 6-10

Exam timetables are out boys and girls! :D

Exam timetables are out boys and girls! :D

That's not making me panic at the lack of time left at all...

That's not making me panic at the lack of time left at all...

I'm more worried about the fact that I've to miss two weekends of work due to exams, and the two weekends before study week cause of class field trips.

Though my timetable is nice, only 3 exams; Tuesday 9am, Saturday 9am, Saturday 12.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭ricimaki

I've an exam on Thursday the 8th of May, and on Friday the 8th of May. (That's not a typo)

Advertisement