Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

oseia wrote: »
    It was inspirational. Any mention of travel really and I'm likely to appear. :P

Yeah it's just the craic in general while away, you just do and go and see more stuff because sure who knows if or when you'll be back! Far lazier back on home soil. :L

It's great. In Venice now and loving it :P
    Must go proper budget travelling in the future and want to learn a language so has to be done. :P

Aw shucks mister, :o thanks so much for the detailed post!:) I'd love to move to Italy for a year or so and teach English mainly because it would be the 'simpler' way to get in so I guess I should start learning Italian! :)

I don't mean to take away from my magnificent post but I did have something to do at the time. Something studious and boring.. :P
    Hence the length and detail. That said I'm sure it would be the same if I was doing something less boring.. :rolleyes:
    A year or so I'd say you'd get away with the 3 day or internet course one, but still, I'd say try and go through UL CoOp. Saves searching. Also look for some groups on facebook. Found a great one on Seville, to the extent that I could nearly walk back in there and get a job.
    I'd learn Italian first although I was surprised how many people knew English here. I was told the opposite before I came.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

It's great. In Venice now and loving it :P
    Must go proper budget travelling in the future and want to learn a language so has to be done. :P

I don't mean to take away from my magnificent post but I did have something to do at the time. Something studious and boring.. :P
    Hence the length and detail. That said I'm sure it would be the same if I was doing something less boring.. :rolleyes:
    A year or so I'd say you'd get away with the 3 day or internet course one, but still, I'd say try and go through UL CoOp. Saves searching. Also look for some groups on facebook. Found a great one on Seville, to the extent that I could nearly walk back in there and get a job.
    I'd learn Italian first although I was surprised how many people knew English here. I was told the opposite before I came.

Thanks Chris you're a big help! :)
    Ugh I'm trying to practice for the AICUR conference on the 9th in UL and finding it really difficult to even cover a chapter of my FYP in ten minutes, I have so much to say! I could actually talk all day about it! :o I may have to actually focus on a particular part of that chapter in order to get it to ten minutes....:( I really hope it isn't an horrible fail. I'm really nervous about it and my brother has threatened to show up which, as cruel as this might be to say, I really hope he doesn't as knowing he might be in the audience would make me more nervous. Trying to channel Chimamanada Ngozi Adichie :o I've practised it in front of the mirror (when I was going on for like 20 minutes) and I'm grand. But the mirror isn't a whole audience of people...

Also, I'm writing a review for a history book with a word limit of 1,500 words and I've so much to say about the book (I found it really interesting) that I'm struggling to keep it to the word count. :o:(

Thanks Chris you're a big help! :)
    Ugh I'm trying to practice for the AICUR conference on the 9th in UL and finding it really difficult to even cover a chapter of my FYP in ten minutes, I have so much to say! I could actually talk all day about it! :o I may have to actually focus on a particular part of that chapter in order to get it to ten minutes....:( I really hope it isn't an horrible fail. I'm really nervous about it and my brother has threatened to show up which, as cruel as this might be to say, I really hope he doesn't as knowing he might be in the audience would make me more nervous. Trying to channel Chimamanada Ngozi Adichie :o I've practised it in front of the mirror (when I was going on for like 20 minutes) and I'm grand. But the mirror isn't a whole audience of people...

Also, I'm writing a review for a history book with a word limit of 1,500 words and I've so much to say about the book (I found it really interesting) that I'm struggling to keep it to the word count. :o:(

I'd be no help before this year.. Once you go through it the hard way, you do what you can to make it easier in the future.. :P
    I must say that's the opposite I would think of most people's problems. You'd think most would be stuck for something to say. All about condensing though. Wasn't until recently where I actually had to cut back my essays a bit. At first word count was a target, didn't think I'd be cutting stuff out...
    Still haven't got a FYP supervisor yet, confirmed that is. Requested one who said she was available but no reply. :S I'll try again over Summer.
    I don't even know how to say that. It looks like a tongue twister but given my predicament, I don't know for sure.. :P
    A lot of teaching actually, especially in these schools, is condensing and giving them raw information. Very easy to waffle on. Do it all the time in my essays. :P
    I'm naturally afraid of audiences. Something in my genes I'm sure of it that I've never managed to master. I've tried. I put myself in situations where I have to speak in front of people, I volunteer for speaking roles before I think better of it. My leg is awful. Taps away ninety when I'm nervous and I speak really fast. When it's to a class though I'm fine. Nervous before my first class, not during it. I know I can speak, I'd like to be better at public speaking, but nerves get better of me. Fair play for doing your speech thing. Hopefully it's better when it's a topic you're interested in. :)
    Ah you'll be fine, won't even see him! And it will be nice to have someone there to give you honest feedback afterwards. :P

For first half of CoOp I wrote for a sports journalism website where I covered the world cup. It got to the stage where I had to release my final articles in parts because you couldn't expect somebody to read through them for that long. My last one was pushing 10,000 words. A synopsis of the World Cup. You'd watch the matches in the time taken to read it.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Tried to book Groody today to find that they're all booked up, that seems outrageously early?!

Best alternatives anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Tried to book Groody today to find that they're all booked up, that seems outrageously early?!

Best alternatives anyone?

I was told theyre not taking bookings until may :O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

They started taking bookings a few weeks ago I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Where can one stay in August for the repeats? Looks like none of the on-campus and off-campus houses allow you to move in till September unless you take an extra month's lease in college court or milford grange areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Where can one stay in August for the repeats? Looks like none of the on-campus and off-campus houses allow you to move in till September unless you take an extra month's lease in college court or milford grange areas.

Dromroe usually offer a room for repeats. It's something 40 euro a night though

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I think it was 30/night the year I had repeat exams.

Travellodge probably your best bet I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

And Trivago!

• Advertisement

Hmm.. it's rather expensive tbh. I've 3 definite repeats to do but possible another one if I pass everything this semester. When and how long are the repeats normally in August?

EDIT: Never mind. It's on 24 to 29th of August.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

24th-29th August this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

They started taking bookings a few weeks ago I think

Yep, sent an email out to residents about two werks ago, and then a reminder one today. Really hope it isnt all booked out though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

iLaura wrote: »
    Yep, sent an email out to residents about two werks ago, and then a reminder one today. Really hope it isnt all booked out though!

I've never stayed there before so maybe they are keeping some houses for current residents. 6 of us were told that there were no more 6 beds available, the best she could do were two 3-bed houses.

I've just realised; I'm an idiot...
    I've been sitting back offering information when I can, listening to all of this talk and thinking; thank God I don't have to go through that again this year, ignorant to the fact that they're booking for next year.
    Only now it dawned on me.
    I'm back to UL in September...
    I need to book a place to stay..
    And if word is anything to go by, they're filling up fast! :S

I've just realised; I'm an idiot...
    I've been sitting back offering information when I can, listening to all of this talk and thinking; thank God I don't have to go through that again this year, ignorant to the fact that they're booking for next year.
    Only now it dawned on me.
    I'm back to UL in September...
    I need to book a place to stay..
    And if word is anything to go by, they're filling up fast! :S

I've the same problem! Added to the fact I can't stay in any of the student accommodation and can't stand having bad housemates again (I've just come back to yet another carton of milk nearly gone). I was looking at daft but everywhere wants whole houses rented rather than rooms except places like CC or Elm, but I've nobody to live with :pac: Having to wait for the next grant installment for a deposit doesn't help either.

In the same boat here. I have 2 places I can go to and book it now but funds are lacking at the moment and I can't book them till next month and I'm afraid it'll be gone by then if they aren't full already.

I'm looking for somewhere too... The three of us should be roomies! What could possibly go wrong lads? :pac:

Boards buddies.. :P
    Lots of passive aggressive house mate hate on boards...
    Sounds great :P
    Actually for once I have money, mobility grant came through last week :D

I'd have no problem living with ye, as long as wire sponges don't perplex you, and you don't steal the last of my milk and not bother telling :P

• Advertisement

Anyone know if you pick a certain country for COOP and then you don't get a job offer in that country do you have to do COOP in Ireland then?

Anyone know if you pick a certain country for COOP and then you don't get a job offer in that country do you have to do COOP in Ireland then?

Not that I've heard of but you would want to make sure you leave enough time for VISAs etc

I wish the library would stay open later than 11, I always get way more done at night than I do during the day.

We could just put up a banner outside with the Boards logo on it, then whenever we're having BULBs we could just say "YO! COME TO THE BOARDS' HOUSE IN [estate name]!"

Major downside though would be we would have to stop bitching about our housemates since we know for definite they'd be reading it. :P

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    We could just put up a banner outside with the Boards logo on it, then whenever we're having BULBs we could just say "YO! COME TO THE BOARDS' HOUSE IN [estate name]!"
    :eek: We could make it into a Boards fort! And have a secret doorbell ring so we know its other Boardsies at the door! :pac:

Major downside though would be we would have to stop bitching about our housemates since we know for definite they'd be reading it. tongue.png

I've never actually had to bitch about them til this year, I've always been fairly lucky with my housemates until I got a group of them who haven't quite adjusted to living away from Mammy and Daddy yet.

Speaking of bitching about housemates... They really don't give damn about anyone else in the house. The three lads are watching videos on speakers full blast, yelling at each other, getting up every so often and slamming the doors, and that housemate is still f*cking whistling. I've to get up at seven. Going by their track record, they'll probably keep me awake til then. I've already spoke to them about it a few times. I'm absolutely exhausted. They might have an Easter break but they know I don't. They can sleep all day tomorrow, I've a mountain of work to do. I've actually got a headache I'm so tired. I can hear them over my earphones too... Is there any way of turning off the Internet from inside the house?

It's not even like I've breakfast to look forward to tomorrow either since they drank most of my milk while I was at home. I'd only taken a bowl full out of the carton before I left.

sup_dude wrote: »
    Speaking of bitching about housemates... They really don't give damn about anyone else in the house. The three lads are watching videos on speakers full blast, yelling at each other, getting up every so often and slamming the doors, and that housemate is still f*cking whistling. I've to get up at seven. Going by their track record, they'll probably keep me awake til then. I've already spoke to them about it a few times. I'm absolutely exhausted. They might have an Easter break but they know I don't. They can sleep all day tomorrow, I've a mountain of work to do. I've actually got a headache I'm so tired. I can hear them over my earphones too... Is there any way of turning off the Internet from inside the house?

if it makes you feel any better one of my housemates shocked me with a new level of selfishness today.

if it makes you feel any better one of my housemates shocked me with a new level of selfishness today.

How so?

sup_dude wrote: »
    How so?

think he might read boards so il pm ya

• Advertisement

Want to hear the ultimate c*** housemate story
    Fortunately it didn't happen to myself.
    A brothers friend was living with a few lads but was on a very tight budget.
    All he could afford to eat was value everything, primarily noodles.
    Anyway, one night he came home from college late enough, beer cans everywhere, a packet of noodles missing and all the noodles opened.
    Housemate had eaten a packet of noodles but used flavour from all his other packets into the one, leaving him with pretty bland meals from then on.

Wouldn't do that to an enemy.. :P

I was thinking though, a house full of boardies would certainly breathe some life into the 'Who I saw today...' thread.. :P

Advertisement