Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Subutai wrote: »
    **** one. Unless you really need some specific software for something, consider getting a chromebook. You'll easily get one for less than €250, and if all you're really doing is Internet and Office stuff they'll do the job. They start up in a few seconds, and are highly portable little yokes.

Not if you plan on using it a lot. The size of the keyboard messes up your hands after prolonged use.
    Have you priced just the screen? It's really easy to replace a screen yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

sup_dude wrote: »
    Not if you plan on using it a lot. The size of the keyboard messes up your hands after prolonged use.
    Have you priced just the screen? It's really easy to replace a screen yourself.

Depends on the model in fairness, with very small ones that's probably an issue. The one I use has a great keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Screen is always around that.. 100-150, I found, having broken 2..
    Keyboard replacement for me was around 60 as well I think.
    Have you found anything wrong with HD yourself?
    250e in replacements you'd wonder is it as well getting a new laptop.
    Defo get 2nd, 3rd opinion on HD though, if it's something you didn't even notice, could be something you could do without, or more believable, something that isn't there...
    Have to be careful in some repair shops, the price lists are based on the customer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

On the off chance anyone finds 10 euro in the library or C block of the main building please let me know.. Going to be eating cornflakes for a couple of days without it :(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

On the off chance anyone finds 10 euro in the library or C block of the main building please let me know.. Going to be eating cornflakes for a couple of days without it :(:o

I would seriously doubt that anyone would bother trying to find the owner of that tenner..

If it was like 50/100, then someone will probably look for the owner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I would seriously doubt that anyone would bother trying to find the owner of that tenner..

If it was like 50/100, then someone will probably look for the owner

Yeah :( I don't know how I lost it though, but it could easily be commuting around limerick on a seat/the floor of the 304 as we speak :p Not too sure where I lost it..

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

The screen replacement was gonna be €120, and the harddrive €130 on top of that. The fn button on my laptop stopped working last week and the fan had definitely seen better days. So, I am now the proud owner of a new laptop. 1.5 Tb harddrive, 8 Gb RAM (neither of which I will even come close to using), USB 3.0 and a HD webcam. AND I managed to only pay €100 between the parents and boyfriend contributing to it. YAY!

And then to the bitch...Was gonna create a backup file for the new laptop on my external harddrive when some little error thingy came up on my laptop and wiped the harddrive. Which had ALL my stuff on it. Thankfully it's still on my old laptop so I'ma bring the old one into the library tomorrow, connect it to a VGA screen, put it all back onto the harddrive, then onto my laptop and then back it up online like a million and one times. I nearly lost all my TP stuff, which is a crap tonne of resources.

EDIT: I also DESPISE Windows 8...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

iLaura wrote: »

EDIT: I also DESPISE Windows 8...

Install StartIsBack. I hate the metro menu too, but once you get rid of it and get the old start menu back, Windows 8 is a lot better than Windows 7. Quicker in every way, and more functionality.

Install StartIsBack. I hate the metro menu too, but once you get rid of it and get the old start menu back, Windows 8 is a lot better than Windows 7. Quicker in every way, and more functionality.

Already have it :P ninite is a FANTASTIC website :D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

I've said it once, I'll say it again I HATE the TP office! Why they can't stick to what they say and give straight answers is beyond me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭21 Schump Street

Do library fines go up if you don't pay them? I took out a one day loan book and forgot to return it over the weekend and I now have a fine of 20 quid.

Do library fines go up if you don't pay them? I took out a one day loan book and forgot to return it over the weekend and I now have a fine of 20 quid.

I hope not :eek: I had a twenty euro fine cause of short loan section from last semester which I need to wait until my next grant installment to pay. I don't think they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

As long as you've returned the book, the fine will stay as it is but if you haven't, it'll keep going up.

I know its not a bitch BUT;

Don't forget to go to the ULSU UGM tomorrow at 6pm in KBG12! I will love you all forever if you do. Quorum is 100 people so we need everyone to come along.

And I will bitch to the high heavens if we don't reach quorum. Surely you wouldn't want that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

I'm going to bet this tenner I found that the UGM won't reach quorum :pac:

Polar Ice wrote: »
    I'm going to bet this tenner I found that the UGM won't reach quorum :pac:

Hahaha :P We actually managed to reach quorum for the meeting last semester! But that was in J.Swift so we just pulled people in from Red Raisins

iLaura wrote: »
    I know its not a bitch BUT;

Don't forget to go to the ULSU UGM tomorrow at 6pm in KBG12! I will love you all forever if you do. Quorum is 100 people so we need everyone to come along.

And I will bitch to the high heavens if we don't reach quorum. Surely you wouldn't want that :P

This one is includes ULSU's stance on SSM, doesn't it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Well as the poor bastard who's going to be lugging a massive box full of microphones and cables from the SU to Kemmy, I for one f*cking hope it makes quorum so it's not a wasted effort! :P

Was quorum reduced at the last meeting?

I think they should be in favour of super-size meals...

@wnolan, isn't KBG12 the main lecture hall?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I think they should be in favour of super-size meals...

@wnolan, isn't KBG12 the main lecture hall?

'tis.

They actually have WiFi in there now, which they certainly didn't have last year!

• Advertisement

This one is includes ULSU's stance on SSM, doesn't it?

It does. There's a vote on whether they should take a Yes stance on it.

Does anyone know if the phone place beside Aldi can change microsims to nanosims? Don't really fancy a trip into town to the Vodafone store.

wnolan1992 wrote: »

How long will the meeting take?

That's a curious one. Was there a previous discussion or vote on taking a stance on religious matters?

How long will the meeting take?

If it meets quorum, I reckon it has the potential to be over an hour because there's something like 10 motions that need to be voted on, plus a presentation from USI, plus all the other bits and bobs. (This is based on me reading the agenda earlier, I haven't been following ULSU stuff for ages so for all I know these things might all be done in 10 minutes. :P)

If it meets quorum, I reckon it has the potential to be over an hour because there's something like 10 motions that need to be voted on, plus a presentation from USI, plus all the other bits and bobs. (This is based on me reading the agenda earlier, I haven't been following ULSU stuff for ages so for all I know these things might all be done in 10 minutes. :P)

I wanna go to help make sure there's a Yes stance, but I don't really have an hour to spare so I hope it is just a ten minute job :p

'tis.

They actually have WiFi in there now, which they certainly didn't have last year!

That room is already wired for audio. I also never found it that bad without mics because it's a relatively narrow room for it's depth.
    Why the need for microphones?

I wanna go to help make sure there's a Yes stance, but I don't really have an hour to spare so I hope it is just a ten minute job :p

The Sabbats have to do their officer reports, there's the discussion on same sex marriage and whether the union should take a political stance on it. There's also going to be changes to articles of the constitution. And of course, USI information. Now I'm not condoning this sort of behaviour, but it has been known for people to go to the UGM, sign in, sit for half an hour and then leave. The only problem with this is, and I'm not 100% sure, there's also a certain quorum that has to be met for changes to the constitution. So if people leave after the discussion on SSM, we mightn't have enough people for the constitution changes and then another UGM will have to be called :P

That room is already wired for audio. I also never found it that bad without mics because it's a relatively narrow room for it's depth.
    Why the need for microphones?

We're (hopefully) going to be broadcasting it live, so we're bringing our own gear.

sup_dude, you could always just go, vote on the SSM motion then leave. :P

• Advertisement

We're (hopefully) going to be broadcasting it live, so we're bringing our own gear.

sup_dude, you could always just go, vote on the SSM motion then leave. :P

See my above statement on why that isn't really the best idea :cool:

Advertisement