Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Deranged96 wrote: »
    You can save on that site you just have to be logged in and you don't click save in the game its away to the left outside the gameboy screen near the control options you click save :)

I have an account, but wasn't working for me anyways. I just figured it didn't work at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

You're in Italy? I am confused. Also, you'll never find me (if that's what you meant)!! Mwahaha
    Can't wait until I finish this blasted FYP. Gonna hand it in week 6 and gon get drunk!!!!!!!

No I mean it quite literally, I'm in Italy.. :P
    Venice on CoOp :P

But if I wasn't in Italy, I'd be in the UL library, hence looking around for you listening to me scratch :P
    Have an idea for my FYP, sooner I get it approved though the better.. :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

No I mean it quite literally, I'm in Italy.. :P
    Venice on CoOp :P

But if I wasn't in Italy, I'd be in the UL library, hence looking around for you listening to me scratch :P
    Have an idea for my FYP, sooner I get it approved though the better.. :S

Haha, oh I'm so jealous!! I've always wanted to go to Italy. What's Venice like?:)

Well after the first week of high tide and getting shoes pi$sed wet through 5 days out of the 7 before buying makeshift wellies, then they broke and got feet soaked again, went out and bought proper expensive wellies and there hasn't been a high tide since; I won't lie I was a little miffed about that..
    However on a more scenic note, Venice is absolutely stunning, take a boat to college every morning and every night, have to live on an island, and the views are just amazing. I like night anyway, very much a night person, best time to contemplate and take walks and in Venice you can do it for hours.
    Have a card as well now that means I have unlimited travel, so I can go everywhere in Venice but the boat down the Grand Canal is unreal..
    You know when you're absolutely shattered after a days college that you don't take notice of your surroundings, utterly impossible here.
    I'd say you could live here all your life and say, this is probably the most visually pleasing place in the world. Absolutely everything blows you away..

Wish I brought more socks though... :S :P

Well after the first week of high tide and getting shoes pi$sed wet through 5 days out of the 7 before buying makeshift wellies, then they broke and got feet soaked again, went out and bought proper expensive wellies and there hasn't been a high tide since; I won't lie I was a little miffed about that..
    However on a more scenic note, Venice is absolutely stunning, take a boat to college every morning and every night, have to live on an island, and the views are just amazing. I like night anyway, very much a night person, best time to contemplate and take walks and in Venice you can do it for hours.
    Have a card as well now that means I have unlimited travel, so I can go everywhere in Venice but the boat down the Grand Canal is unreal..
    You know when you're absolutely shattered after a days college that you don't take notice of your surroundings, utterly impossible here.
    I'd say you could live here all your life and say, this is probably the most visually pleasing place in the world. Absolutely everything blows you away..

Wish I brought more socks though... :S :P
    Sounds really class :) Boat to college haha! I've always wanted to see Sicily as well and I've been seriously considering going to Italy long term but ya know having zero Italian is kind of an issue especially for more rural areas.:o

• Advertisement

A very pretty city, really small and really easy to get lost!
    Before I leave want to see Florence, maybe Rome as well but I know it's expensive..
    5 Months is long term for me and I've 0 Italiano :P
    Did the same thing with Spain for 4 months with 0 Espanol :P
    You get by but don't be afraid of the phrase book, beautiful country and not as angry as I thought they'd be.. :P

Before I leave want to see Florence

Absolutely stunning! Bit on the expensive side but worth seeing at least once. One of the only places I've been that I'd love to go back to.

Read Dan Browns Inferno again while I was here and was reminded of it..
    Was going to go before I came to Venice, as I flew into Milan, but time was against me, I will though.. Determined. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Read Dan Browns Inferno again while I was here and was reminded of it..
    Was going to go before I came to Venice, as I flew into Milan, but time was against me, I will though.. Determined. :P

Go to lake garda :D I think the place is called sirmione, Gardaland too is class! :p

Brother suggested Gardaland alright, will check out stuff over Easter break and probably get a camera, not as much as I thought they were..
    Plus there's an erasmus photo competition where winner gets an iPad or something and lets face it, who can beat Venice.. :P

• Advertisement

attachment.php?attachmentid=38582&d=1417814759

That awkward horrible, heartbreaking moment when you realise your supervisor majorly fudged up most of your FYP tests and won't reply to your emails.

sup_dude wrote: »

That awkward horrible, heartbreaking moment when you realise your supervisor majorly fudged up most of your FYP tests and won't reply to your emails.

Always makes me feel better for some reason :P

Ah you'll get through it, supervisor seems more trouble than not having one.. :P

Your video is broke :(

Your video is broke :(

Damn forgot to vheck before posting... and back in student accom now stealing a lone bar of wifi from a neighbour...
    It was a song, Van Morrison - Days Like This :-)

I hear that although my situation isn't as serious! My supervisor emailed us to inform us she would take redrafts after week 3. In fact, she told us that she didn't do second drafts and it was up to us to take her advice from the first draft and figure it out. Oh, she also sent us an email last Wednesday that she wanted all first drafts in to her by Friday which was not the problem as I've all the first draft done by then. But to not consider second drafts? Joke. And the funny thing is she is really nice in person. I have zero recollection of her ever saying that to us when she took us on and I was even asking her if I was doing well and ahead of everything. Apparently she was busy with 3rd years wanting supervisors and MAs. Eh? Aren't you my supervisor until week 6? You are getting paid a bomb for this!!

A very pretty city, really small and really easy to get lost!
    Before I leave want to see Florence, maybe Rome as well but I know it's expensive..
    5 Months is long term for me and I've 0 Italiano :P
    Did the same thing with Spain for 4 months with 0 Espanol :P
    You get by but don't be afraid of the phrase book, beautiful country and not as angry as I thought they'd be.. :P

I know I've heard people who've gone to Rome and other parts of Italy and said the people can be very rude in general but especially when you have limited Italian :/ I couldn't understand how people in such a beautiful country could be so grumpy!:p Not to mention an old English teacher of mine told us the men are supposed to be pretty crass towards women especially tourists. So my initial impressions of it (not that I take that too seriously) were not great. But I really, really want to live there!:pac: Amazing food, amazing weather, amazing scenery who wouldn't want to live there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Call to his office.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

I hear that although my situation isn't as serious! My supervisor emailed us to inform us she would take redrafts after week 3. In fact, she told us that she didn't do second drafts and it was up to us to take her advice from the first draft and figure it out. Oh, she also sent us an email last Wednesday that she wanted all first drafts in to her by Friday which was not the problem as I've all the first draft done by then. But to not consider second drafts? Joke. And the funny thing is she is really nice in person. I have zero recollection of her ever saying that to us when she took us on and I was even asking her if I was doing well and ahead of everything. Apparently she was busy with 3rd years wanting supervisors and MAs. Eh? Aren't you my supervisor until week 6? You are getting paid a bomb for this!!

Was said last night at Council that they're not actually paid extra; its part of their normal wages and supervising is part of their academic workload

YFlyer wrote: »
    Call to his office.

She's rarely there as she isn't based in UL

iLaura wrote: »
    Was said last night at Council that they're not actually paid extra; its part of their normal wages and supervising is part of their academic workload

Really? Oh, I feel bad now. I still she should be an reviewing our stuff up to week six though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Quick trip to the Academic Officer in the SU seems like the next logical step if emails/calling to the office won't work - they should be able to get in contact with the admin in the department or maybe the HoD to ensure you actually get some kind of reply from the supervisor.

Cossax wrote: »
    Quick trip to the Academic Officer in the SU seems like the next logical step if emails/calling to the office won't work - they should be able to get in contact with the admin in the department or maybe the HoD to ensure you actually get some kind of reply from the supervisor.

I've met with my course director already. There's very little she can do, other than keep telling my supervisor to contact me.

While this has absolutely no relation to UL, I somehow managed to break my laptop screen -.- I have so much work to do and now I can't until I get it fixed/go to the library and use the computers there :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

I've met with my course director already. There's very little she can do, other than keep telling my supervisor to contact me.

Save all emails, get all documents or correspondence in order, then make a complaint against her.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

While this has absolutely no relation to UL, I somehow managed to break my laptop screen -.- I have so much work to do and now I can't until I get it fixed/go to the library and use the computers there :/

If you have a TV, you could hook the laptop up via HDMI as a stop-gap solution.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    If you have a TV, you could hook the laptop up via HDMI as a stop-gap solution.

My laptop doesnt have a HDMI port, only a VGA one. I might be able to borrow a VGA monitor if I dont get the screen fixed by tomorrow

This has happened to me twice, don't feel bad :P
    Once I was asleep next to it, laptop was on a chair right night to bed (fell asleep watching a movie). I started flailing during the night though, probably nightmares from said movie, and hit laptop onto ground.. That was a sad thing to wake up to. Second time, I was taking a shortcut down a muddy hill. A steep muddy hill. Got halfway down thinking I'd made it, slipped, rolled over onto my bag and stood up again army style. Looked cool af I'd say but broke my laptop in my bag..
    Used wnolans method then for a while, just using monitor and then using computers in library when needs be.
    Eventually, I got it fixed at place beside Groody roundabout, although I thought it was quite expensive. Would've looked around more but I really needed it.
    Alternatively, I get the feeling you could pick up a VGA monitor in one of those electrical second hand shops for next to nothing, if you can't find something in college.

Once I was asleep next to it, laptop was on a chair right night to bed (fell asleep watching a movie). I started flailing during the night though, probably nightmares from said movie, and hit laptop onto ground.. That was a sad thing to wake up to. Second time, I was taking a shortcut down a muddy hill. A steep muddy hill. Got halfway down thinking I'd made it, slipped, rolled over onto my bag and stood up again army style. Looked cool af I'd say but broke my laptop in my bag..
    Used wnolans method then for a while, just using monitor and then using computers in library when needs be.
    Eventually, I got it fixed at place beside Groody roundabout, although I thought it was quite expensive. Would've looked around more but I really needed it.
    Alternatively, I get the feeling you could pick up a VGA monitor in one of those electrical second hand shops for next to nothing, if you can't find something in college.

It'd cost €120 to get the screen fixed, and apparently the harddrive is faulty which is gonna cost another €130 :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

It'd cost €120 to get the screen fixed, and apparently the harddrive is faulty which is gonna cost another €130 :/

**** one. Unless you really need some specific software for something, consider getting a chromebook. You'll easily get one for less than €250, and if all you're really doing is Internet and Office stuff they'll do the job. They start up in a few seconds, and are highly portable little yokes.

Advertisement