Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

There was a queue from the library past the foundation building at 8:00am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Just forget about the library. Go to the KBS as it's quieter and certainly, alot more warmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

There was a queue from the library past the foundation building at 8:00am this morning.

I was afraid of that :(

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Just forget about the library. Go to the KBS as it's quieter and certainly, alot more warmer.

Is there a specific place in there you can go to study?

There's computer labs that you can go to. Go to the one on the second floor in beside the stairs that's beside the cafe. There's 2 computer labs on that floor and another room which have individual desks to study.

• Advertisement

There's computer labs that you can go to. Go to the one on the second floor in beside the stairs that's beside the cafe. There's 2 computer labs on that floor and another room which have individual desks to study.

Will do :D Do you know if it opens early enough? I only study in UL in the morning until I know I won't go back to sleep if I study at home :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭shano_88

Any of the classrooms on the first floor. Theres normally spaces there all day. Internet can be a bit weak in the rooms but you can always go out to the computer labs just across the way.

Will do :D Do you know if it opens early enough? I only study in UL in the morning until I know I won't go back to sleep if I study at home :P

I presume it'll be open at 8. Not 100% sure though. Building closes at around 6-7 in the evening though

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Exam went absolutely dire today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Midkemia wrote: »

Know those feels...

• Advertisement

Midkemia wrote: »

Describes my exam that I had yesterday. It was incredibly hopeless and within an hour of starting, half of the exam centre was empty. People just gave up

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Nothing worse than the stares you get as you do the walk of shame when you're the first to leave :P

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

Ok, I was attempting to let the coat thing go, but now I can't even wear a cardigan in to the exam hall? What the hell is that about? I left my coat with my bag in the boot of the car but was wearing this cardigan. Got insanely warm and I was told your one would have to take it off me so I put it back on :mad: I get that they don't want coats on the floor for health and safety reasons, but this cardigan was bunched on my chair :mad: A tall, bulky lad on a seat would have taken up more space than me and my cardigan there. Christ, these people are intolerable.

Is there a minimum QCA that you need to have in order to progress into second semester or does that only apply to repeats?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Is there a minimum QCA that you need to have in order to progress into second semester or does that only apply to repeats?

2.0 is minimum

sup_dude wrote: »
    2.0 is minimum

Is that to advance to next semester?

What if I get below 2.0 in my Christmas exams?

Ok, I was attempting to let the coat thing go, but now I can't even wear a cardigan in to the exam hall? What the hell is that about? I left my coat with my bag in the boot of the car but was wearing this cardigan. Got insanely warm and I was told your one would have to take it off me so I put it back on :mad: I get that they don't want coats on the floor for health and safety reasons, but this cardigan was bunched on my chair :mad: A tall, bulky lad on a seat would have taken up more space than me and my cardigan there. Christ, these people are intolerable.

The invigilators don't make the rules though. The university does and there is obviously a reason.

Some of it does seem over the top but they are hardly doing it for no reason. I heard an invigilator today saying no sweets to be eaten in the exam hall, the reason being other students had complained about noise from wrappers. Wouldn't have even noticed that myself but they had received complaints in previous exams.

The invigilators don't make the rules though. The university does and there is obviously a reason.

Some of it does seem over the top but they are hardly doing it for no reason. I heard an invigilator today saying no sweets to be eaten in the exam hall, the reason being other students had complained about noise from wrappers. Wouldn't have even noticed that myself but they had received complaints in previous exams.

What bothered me was they specifically said no coats on the floor so I assumed it was a health and safety thing. That much makes sense to me. I'm annoyed with the situation more than the people since most of them are just trying to do their job. But this IS a bitching thread so I'm going to bitch :P

What bothered me was they specifically said no coats on the floor so I assumed it was a health and safety thing. That much makes sense to me. I'm annoyed with the situation more than the people since most of them are just trying to do their job. But this IS a bitching thread so I'm going to bitch :P

Ah ya fair enough. Health & Safety is over the top these days and exam regulations are a pain. When I started my undergrad ahem many moons you could leave all your stuff at the back of the room. It was funny, mobile phones were only just becoming a thing :eek: and loads of people were leaving them switched on in their bags at the back of the room.

Great fun when one started ringing and the invigilator couldn't find it.Several minutes later and it still ringing....then everyone was pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Is that to advance to next semester?

You're okay once your QCA by the end of 2nd semester is over 2.0. So you can get 1.8 in Sem 1 and 2.5 in Sem 2 and pass the year

• Advertisement

Am i able to bring a jacket with me? I've a 25 min walk and its cold enough with a jacket on..

Am i able to bring a jacket with me? I've a 25 min walk and its cold enough with a jacket on..

From what I've seen and heard, most of the exam centres have somewhere to leave your coat or jacket outside. Just means that if it's robbed it's not their problem. I think it's worth the risk in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

Then you are wasting your time at college..

Bit harsh...

If I'm struggling it quite hard, would I be wasting my time in college?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I'm invigilating in EG0010. Personally it doesn't matter to me if somebody takes off their jumper or cardigan during the exam. Its the old biddies that get into a fluster when they see any clothes items that are not worn.

If I'm struggling it quite hard, would I be wasting my time in college?

There are legitimate cases where people find it really difficult and are struggling, but the harsh reality is, is that most people do nothing in relatively alright courses and are upset when they have low grades.

I would be open to the idea of the college following the American system of having a much higher probation grade average, around 2.6 is common.

YFlyer wrote: »
    I'm invigilating in EG0010. Personally it doesn't matter to me if somebody takes off their jumper or cardigan during the exam. Its the old biddies that get into a fluster when they see any clothes items that are not worn.

Always is. It was no problem at all in PESS. Getting so sick of these stupid rules now.

There are legitimate cases where people find it really difficult and are struggling, but the harsh reality is, is that most people do nothing in relatively alright courses and are upset when they have low grades.

I would be open to the idea of the college following the American system of having a much higher probation grade average, around 2.6 is common.

One bad semester doesn't mean that they're wasting their time at college... If they pass college, they pass college whether it's by the skin of their teeth or not. Most jobs require you to have a degree now and although someone could be practical, they mightn't be very academic. You could have the best coder in the world and they mightn't be very good at remembering stuff written in slides. You can have someone who's brilliant at teaching but they aren't great at remembering exact official procedures. There's a whole host of reasons someone might do badly one semester, or why they barely get by college. It doesn't mean they're any less deservant of a degree, or the subsequent job.

• Advertisement

sup_dude wrote: »
    One bad semester doesn't mean that they're wasting their time at college... If they pass college, they pass college whether it's by the skin of their teeth or not. Most jobs require you to have a degree now and although someone could be practical, they mightn't be very academic. You could have the best coder in the world and they mightn't be very good at remembering stuff written in slides. You can have someone who's brilliant at teaching but they aren't great at remembering exact official procedures. There's a whole host of reasons someone might do badly one semester, or why they barely get by college. It doesn't mean they're any less deservant of a degree, or the subsequent job.

I understand all kinds of situations that can make the experience difficult but in reality the vast majority of people I know, and am friends with, are doing terrible because they haven't done anything.

If people let them believe that a 2.0 is even reasonable, that's actually doing them a disservice.

Advertisement