Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I was in Asda, Enniskillen today. I bought a Vidal Sasoon 2000watt hairdryer for £5 !!
    Just spotted it in the Argos catalogue for €18.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Gozer

consultech wrote: »
    Do they do Living room furniture? Sofas/Corner units/Coffee tables etc? How big is their showroom?

I think they mainly sell beds and bedroom furniture.

Here is a link to their website.

http://www.oreillysbeds.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Hazelnut Latte in Starbucks; €3.70 here vs. £2.29!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

DonJose wrote: »
    Anytime I have shopped in the north the cashiers have ALWAYS helped pack bags, they are so friendly up north, they even take the time to chat, you are lucky to get a grunt here. The cashiers down south are the pack you would ever meet, never had one help with packing the groceries. I will NEVER do my main grocery shopping here in the Republic.
    l

Agreed and in England the help that you get in shops either large or small is exceptional - nothing is too much trouble - it's called on the job training something that seems to have been missing here for the past while as the shops were too busy racking up the millions. Although in their defense I will say that the supermarket floor staff in Dunnes that I have had on occasion to ask for assistance have been more than willing to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭hotredhead

Drove to Newry yesterday to buy mosaic tiles in B&Q.Tiles are 31.99 per box in Newry as opposed to 51.99 in Dublin.Ended up with one box too many and now I don't know if they will exchange in Dublin:( or if I will have to go back up next week:D!!!!
    Anyway to get to my point,We decided to pop into Sainsburys first.Got there at 12.40 and in we went with our trolley.I haver never before seen the likes of what I seen next,there were queues at both entrances waiting to get in.For all intents and purposes it was like some kind of mad trolley dash or the world was about to end.We considered leaving but we were there had a much sought after car space so waited for the doors to open.Doors opened promptly at 1pm and in we went.And it was awful.Strange as it might seem I tend to enjoy my grocery shopping and like to linger reading all the labels much to my husbands dismay,but yesterday one could not move in Sainsburys.We quickly grabbed our few bits one of us going ahead while the other was stuck in a trolley traffic nightmare.Yes we got our bargains and many of them,may I add.And yes we will continue to shop up North,but we will be avoiding Sainsburys in Newry like the plague!! I imagine Sprucefield may have been a better bet yesterday.
    Could you imagine living in Newry and having to pop out for a bit of shopping:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭chancer_007

speaking of furniture,

has anyone bought or seen any super king size sleigh beds for sale on their travels up north?

I see d2d furniture has them,just wondering is their any other stores that sell them.

their a shocking price in dublin

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

hotredhead wrote: »
    Could you imagine living in Newry and having to pop out for a bit of shopping:eek:

If you live in Newry (like me) you have to do your grocery shopping early morning (8am) or just go to Dunnes. They are never very busy, IMO.

But a lot of local people that I know are now doing their grocery shopping either at Tesco in Banbridge or they drive to Sainsbury in Craigavon or Lisburn.

We were in Tesco in Banbridge yesterday, and it was perfectly fine. Much cheaper then Sainsburys in Newry as well. Glad it is not openly visible from the A1, or it would be flogged by southerners as well.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

DubDani wrote: »
    Much cheaper then Sainsburys in Newry as well. .

is this just reverse psychology - good to know

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Went to Sainsbury's in Newry for the 1st time last Thursday night, from Drogheda. Our shop was €108. We compared the prices back home on Saturday online at Tesco and it came to €180. So we saved €62. The price difference on some things is so scary. We are being so ripped off in the Repubic, it really sickens me.

Travel time was only 35 mins each way. I have to say though a lot of the shelves were bare, we'll be heading there again this week perhaps on Saturday morning early to hopefully avoid the mad rush. Can anyone recommend anywhere else within touching distance of Drogheda. I notice Banbridge above, is it a pass thru Newry to Tesco there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Famous45 wrote: »
    I have to say though a lot of the shelves were bare, we'll be heading there again this week perhaps on Saturday morning early to hopefully avoid the mad rush.
    You'll be lucky. The isles were at least 15 trolleys deep at 9.15am last Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

hotredhead wrote: »
    Drove to Newry yesterday to buy mosaic tiles in B&Q.Tiles are 31.99 per box in Newry as opposed to 51.99 in Dublin.Ended up with one box too many and now I don't know if they will exchange in Dublin:( or if I will have to go back up next week:D!!!!
    Anyway to get to my point,We decided to pop into Sainsburys first.Got there at 12.40 and in we went with our trolley.I haver never before seen the likes of what I seen next,there were queues at both entrances waiting to get in.For all intents and purposes it was like some kind of mad trolley dash or the world was about to end.We considered leaving but we were there had a much sought after car space so waited for the doors to open.Doors opened promptly at 1pm and in we went.And it was awful.Strange as it might seem I tend to enjoy my grocery shopping and like to linger reading all the labels much to my husbands dismay,but yesterday one could not move in Sainsburys.We quickly grabbed our few bits one of us going ahead while the other was stuck in a trolley traffic nightmare.Yes we got our bargains and many of them,may I add.And yes we will continue to shop up North,but we will be avoiding Sainsburys in Newry like the plague!! I imagine Sprucefield may have been a better bet yesterday.

some difference the weekend makes, the GF was up there this morning and she said it was empty! shelves were still fully stocked but no people what so ever. suited her though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

Thank god I don't work Mondays as I'd hate the madness of the weekends.

I went to Sprucefield in late November on a Saturday - sat for 3 hours in a jam on the M1 outside Newry, blood pressure through the roof watching all these RoI drivers using the hardshoulder as an under-taking lane. Anyway, got to the roundabout at Newry and it was plane sailing to Spricefield. I didn't like the Sainsburys there though - booze section is far smaller than Newry so you can imagine how difficult it was to get around on a busy saturday. The thing with Newry I know where stuff is, I have my set list of what I buy and I can get in and out in 40 mins if need be.

I will say the M&S at Sprucefield which is in another retail park near Sainburys is fab, really big and the day I went there there was 30% off stuff, so the €55 pair of brushed cord jeans I had bought in Dublin were £23.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

some difference the weekend makes

and the WEATHER ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

DubDani wrote: »
    We were in Tesco in Banbridge yesterday, and it was perfectly fine. Much cheaper then Sainsburys in Newry as well. Glad it is not openly visible from the A1, or it would be flogged by southerners as well.

Ah go on tell us. We promise not to tell everyone. Even if you don't want everyone to know, just tell me via PM. ;) I'm planning on hitting the Outlet in Banbridge and a nearby Tesco would be real handy. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭aoife161

Hi

I have been to Asda in the Westwood shopping centre a couple of times and found it good.

Just wondering what these stores are like -

Cookstown
    Downpatrick
    Dundonald

They all seem to be between 35-41 miles from Newry, your comments on the size and stocks of them would be appreciated.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

aoife161 wrote: »
    Hi

I have been to Asda in the Westwood shopping centre a couple of times and found it good.

Cookstown
    Downpatrick
    Dundonald

They all seem to be between 35-41 miles from Newry, your comments on the size and stocks of them would be appreciated.

I have only been to the Dundonald one. It's about the same size as Westwood. Look up the Newtownards one- it's not far from Dundonald. It has a very large Asda and the shopping centre it's in (Ards) is really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭465

We are usually Eniskillen regulars but thinking of going to Omagh this week
    for a change of scenery!
    Can anyone tell me which Supermarkets are there? Or even other worthwhile
    shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bomany

Asda and Dunnes, are the main supermarkets. Dunnes is near the centre of town. But there is a large car park at it. Asda probably handier to get to you if you coming from the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bomany

There is an Asda store in Downpatrick. It is on the left hand side as you come in from the Newry direction. It means you don't have to negotiate the traffic in town. In the same complex there is an Argos, Halfords, Peacocks. Good enough store because it is not as mad as stores closer to the border. Downpatrick is about 40-45 mins from Newry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

aoife161 wrote: »
    Hi

Cookstown

Hi

Cookstown is a very good store - plenty of selection and easy parking. Also in cookstown there is a tesco plus M+S. On the way to cookstown you will pass through dungannon which has a good sainsburys and a tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Fergster

Are there still bargains to be had up North considreing the Euro isn't as strong to the Pound anymore?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Prices are cheaper, and the rate (0.90 now) is a hell of a lot better than it was when this thread started. People were happy then, so......

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Our shop was €108. We compared the prices back home on Saturday online at Tesco and it came to €180. So we saved €62.

Without being overly picky...you saved €72, not 62!

From Drogheda you'll do any of Newry, Armagh, Banbridge, Portadown or Craigavon in mostly under an hour.

Thanks Aqua. I was aware I mistyped. The figure in the ROI was €170, my savings was €60+.

I'd be interested in trying out Tesco in Banbridge this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hi again folks.

The oul man's tv packed up, so reckon i'm gonna get something around the 32" range LCD TV. Considering I live near Sligo, would it be worth my while travelling North to get something? I've no problem going to Enniskillen for the shopping as I save myself a fortune.

If so, where'd be the nearest place around the Enniskillen/Omagh direction to pick something up? Don't think it would be worth my wihle going much further?

Any suggestions much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Hi again folks.

The oul man's tv packed up, so reckon i'm gonna get something around the 32" range LCD TV. Considering I live near Sligo, would it be worth my while travelling North to get something? I've no problem going to Enniskillen for the shopping as I save myself a fortune.

If so, where'd be the nearest place around the Enniskillen/Omagh direction to pick something up? Don't think it would be worth my wihle going much further?

Any suggestions much appreciated

Not sure if you are interested but here is a good offer just for today -> http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/product_specs.php

Samsung 32 inch Full HD LCD TV LE32A556 « Back

* Brand: Samsung
    * Type: Samsung LE32A556 32 inch Full-HD television
    * Full-HD resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels
    * Screen size diagonal: 81 cm (32 inches)
    * Dynamic Contrast: 15000:1
    * Wide ratio: 16/9
    * DNIe + image editing processor
    * 1080 24p Real Movie
    * Connections: 3 HDMI-inputs, Component input, S-Video, Composite(AV), 2 Scart inputs, PC input (D-sub), RF Input, Digital audio (Optical), WiseLink (JPEG, MP3)
    * Picture in Picture
    * OSD (On Screen Display)
    * Audio effects system: SRS Trusurround XT
    * 1 Analogue tuner
    * Response Time : 5 ms
    * Digital tuner: DVB-T
    * Reception norm: PAL, SECAM
    * LCD screen: 50 Hz
    * Teletext: 1500 pages in memory
    * Music output: 20 watts
    * Headphone out
    * Remote control: TM96B
    * Dimensions: 50 x 86,5 x 7,9 cm (HxBxD) / 56,1 x 86,5 x 22 cm (HxBxD) incl. foot
    * Energy consumption: 180 watts
    * Colour: Black
    * Weight: 13,8 kg
    * Warranty: 2 years

Price: € 488,00
    More information

Experience the phenomenal picture quality of Samsung with this amazing Full HD LE32A556 LCD TV. This LCD television with its screen size of 81 cm is provided with a full HD resolution of 1920 X 1080p and a dynamic contrast value of 15000:1, with which you can enjoy viewing pictures with a truly high resolution quality and with great contrast values. Even fast moving images like those of sports matches or action packed movies are reproduced with tremendous clarity and continuity, thanks to the combined working of the DNIe+ image processor and the 3D Motion Optimizer. The audio quality of this amazing Samsung LE32A556 is also designed to match its picture quality in excellence, for the SRS Trusurround XT technology enables brilliant sound reproduction as well. There is also no lack of connection options, since the Samsung is equipped with a large number of ports, including 3 HDMI connections, making it ideal for connecting Blu-Ray players, Game Consoles, Home Cinema Systems and DVD players. There is also a Wiselink USB 2.0 port that enables easy connection of digital cameras, MP3 players or memory sticks, which means that there is complete support for showing photographs (JPEG) and/or playing MP3s. In order to offer you a top notch entertainment package, the Samsung is also equipped with several preprogrammed settings. There is the popular game mode, that presets the television set for the fastest games, along with which there is also a special mode for sport images (Sports Mode) and films (Movie Mode). One press of a button is all it needs to program your Samsung LE32A556 to the best possible settings. So are you up for a superb full HD flatscreen LCD television with bright and vivid colours and more than enough connections for all your multimedia devices? Then there is no doubt that this Samsung 32 inch LE32A556 will shortly grace your living or bed room for everyone to admire!
    Press the button to order this product.
    I'll take it!

Thanks for that dude. Is this a good TV for the price?

It's £550 in the UK, I have a Samsung 42 inch for over a year now and have never had a problem, picture is excellent.

It's £550 in the UK, I have a Samsung 42 inch for over a year now and have never had a problem, picture is excellent.

It's too big for the oul lad, he reckons he only wants something about the 28" range (just got a call), but i'm going to buy that Samsung myself :D

Last off topic post here I promise... what time (local in Ireland) will that offer be running in iBood until? Midnight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

11pm. IBOOD can be bastards for delivery. Can take upto 3 weeks and the customer support/after sales is none existent.
    Still tho, it's a tasty deal

Advertisement