Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭danois

Any one know if i will save much going up north to get the tyres for the car?? I am planning on going up soon for a big shop trying to figure out if i should hold off on getting tyres until i am up there

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

think there was a recommendation a few weeks ago of garages up north and yes you do save, like with everything else it seems :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭signman12

Littleguy wrote: »
    Hey folks. Some more money saving tips.......

www.camskill.co.uk - Tyres, enter the correct details and you will find cheaper tyres anywhere in Ireland or the UK - of the net for that matter. delivered to any door you like within 2 - 3 days.

Jon Exhausts Tyres and Motor factors in newry - 00442830264371 will fit them for you approx. £30.

Total cost of my new 'Hankook' tyres - €234 delivered and fitted.
    The cheapest I could find here was €75 per tyre for SAVA - crap.
    Before anyone gives out - I did try a few places down here and asked them could they match the prices - I shouldn't have bothered. I was laughed at made to feel like an idiot.

Also - ISAAC AGNEW in Belfast £250 set price for a Service A on a Merc, including a mini valet (wash, hoover, windows & tyres).
    Annesley Cloughran €400 - 'there or there abouts' and when asked would I get a wash for that I was asked - 'What would we do that for?'.

Phone hung up - car booked with ISAAC's.....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

oconn wrote: »
    information overload......maybe this is already listed but we are having our first baby in feb ( if not sooner :pac: ) so would it be woth heading up from corkk to get pram/ buggie / cot / mosses basket etc etc ( I dont even know what i need) but i presume the like of mothercare would be better value even allowing for a big drive, Where is the nearest place i can get all these things Newry ? I priced one buggy here was E730 and in England E585
    I dont mind the drive if i know im saving....
    thanks

this post is from a while back, i was trying to find that garage post i thought i saw before for another poster. anyway, did you get all your paraphanalia for baby? buggy site worth investigating is www.babydaysdirect.co.uk and only costs eur7.50 to post and stuff comes in a couple of days!

if you've had baby congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

muincav wrote: »
    Your post was not constructive but misleading, whereas most of my previous posts have been constructive and very honest....you can go back and check for the bargains in Northern Ireland that I have posted here....so dont come on and give your "glass half empty cr*p" when we all know it is still 3 quarter full.
    It wasnt an attitude problem...JUST A FACT
    Calm down kid...You took me up wrong. I regularly shop up North and will continue to do so. Are you telling me you just buy regardless of whether it's a bargain or not. You got to do your research first kid. FACT is currency fluctuations do determine what is and what isn't a bargain. Simple case of doin the maths first. Anyway kid, being from CAAAVAN, you must know that....:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Is there anything up north that is more expensive than down south?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭afatbollix

diesal..

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

I honestly can't think of anything dearer up North, except maybe fuel from time to time,which is affected by currency fluctuations. The much lower VAT rate will always favour Northern Retailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭signman12

anto-t wrote: »
    diesal..

whats that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭corny

How do i get to Damolly Retail Park? I'm looking to buy a load of home entertainment stuff and i heard theres a currys there. Is this the best option? Been a few times to Newry but never got past The Quays and Buttercrane!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭milltown

The baby food and nappies from our pre christmas spree are almost at an end so I'll be heading to Newry again in the next few days. Is the Quays still mental these days re:parking and queues in Sainsbury's?

It's a grand spin up but it does my head in to spend less than an hour on the road, then up to half an hour driving around a car park looking for a space. If it's still bedlam these days I'll keep going past Newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

corny wrote: »
    How do i get to Damolly Retail Park? I'm looking to buy a load of home entertainment stuff and i heard theres a currys there. Is this the best option? Been a few times to Newry but never got past The Quays and Buttercrane!
    Go straight through the roundabout at Newry as if you were going on to Belfast.

About 2 miles later you'll come across another bigger roundabout, take the third exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

milltown wrote: »
    The baby food and nappies from our pre christmas spree are almost at an end so I'll be heading to Newry again in the next few days. Is the Quays still mental these days re:parking and queues in Sainsbury's?

It's a grand spin up but it does my head in to spend less than an hour on the road, then up to half an hour driving around a car park looking for a space. If it's still bedlam these days I'll keep going past Newry.

I was there last night.It was busy but I've seen it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

danois wrote: »
    Any one know if i will save much going up north to get the tyres for the car?? I am planning on going up soon for a big shop trying to figure out if i should hold off on getting tyres until i am up there

Thanks a mill

Try Modern Tyre Services beside The Quays

Best quote I got for a 225/40ZR18 down here was €130, got it there for £65!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I was in Sainsbury's in Newry on Wednesday evening. A lot of their shelves were empty. I like their own brand cereal which looks like shreddies but is full of apricots. None left. When I go to Sainsbury's in Sprucefield there is a much better selection. Is the Newry store just too busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

tregan wrote: »
    this post is from a while back, i was trying to find that garage post i thought i saw before for another poster. anyway, did you get all your paraphanalia for baby? buggy site worth investigating is www.babydaysdirect.co.uk and only costs eur7.50 to post and stuff comes in a couple of days!

if you've had baby congrats

Tregan many thanks for this link, just got a full quote for travel system of them and it still worked out £50 cheaper than the cheapest we could find in N Ireland which included a 15% discount. Makes a big difference when you're spending £500 for a fashion accessory (as I've tried to tell the missus) :P. Major thumbs up on that one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭wonky79

anyone know of somewhere that would be good value in the north to get a ride-on lawn mower?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

This was my 3rd week shopping in Sainsburys in Newry. I went last night and have to say I will never go again in the evening time. The shelves were bare, the burger section was completely empty, why don't they stock up? Lamp chops section again empty, so many places empty.

Also noticed something very very strange which will prompt me to contact the Quays Shopping Centre today. Here goes:

We come out with out trolley to the car and offload groceries into the car, head down to the trolley collection point, and there was 2 lines of trollies but at the end there was a small one on each, I paid no heed to it at the time and of course my trolley wouldnt fit in so I decided just to leave it there, anyway straight away within a split second of me leaving a young guy went over to my trolley and took my pound from it, I decided just to head back to the car as I didn't want a scene, so we sat there eating our Burger King and I noticed a girl taking her trolley back to the opposite side again it was a small trolley at the end, unlike me she had the clever though of turning her trolley around, but I was tired and just left mine there which I am sure many would do. Anyway this girl had nothing to do with anything she was just leaving her trolley back within a split second of her leaving he was this young guy again messing around with the trolleys, I said to my girl he must work for them, but he was in plain clothes, he left and within a minute the people who do work for sainsburys came and took the trolleys away. We came to conclusion that this guy was taking out small trolleys and putting them to the front so that people would have to leave them there and he would come then and take the money from them, we followed him around the car park for a short while and noticed him up and down the quays car park like a yo yo from station to station, we beeped at him but he paid no heed. The guys who work for sainsburys collecting the trollies obviously know he is doing this but yet I suppose they dont confront him. He is a con man and in reality should be reported to the police right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sign of the times. I doubt that the PSNI would be interested in such a petty matter tbh.

Also, Sainsburys seem to only restock at night after closing. No point shopping there in the evenings. You are best to be first in the door in the morning.

Another couple of issues about shopping there last night.

I went into Boots in the Quays and purchased something for £8.00. The person before me had handed the cashier €40. So I pay with a €50 note and I ask the lady can I have the change in € she says no we don't have any notes, I said but that previous lady just gave you €40 after much debate she stood firm and didn't want to entertain me at all.

They were also only offering .81 yet the rate was .90 but she said it's set on a Sunday and remains like that all week.

A question, I seen a lot of Bank of Ireland atms there, is it cheaper to withdraw the required amount for shopping thru the atm and get the current rate with boi and pay for the shop in sterling, does anyone do this?

• Advertisement

A question, I seen a lot of Bank of Ireland atms there, is it cheaper to withdraw the required amount for shopping thru the atm and get the current rate with boi and pay for the shop in sterling, does anyone do this?
    Of course it is cheaper. I do that all the time. I never use euro in the north. As you found out they use the euro rate to rip off shoppers from the south.

Thanks Bond, I'll use that option in the future. Sainsburys only offering .84 last night even though it was .90, it all adds up when it's a bargain we are after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I was there yesterday eve around 6.15 and got all I wanted plus the staff were restocking the shelves as I was shopping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Of course it is cheaper. I do that all the time. I never use euro in the north. As you found out they use the euro rate to rip off shoppers from the south.
    That's not completely true, and is potentially bad advice.
    Last weekend the actual rate was 88.4p.
    - Asda were giving 89.4p, which on the day can not be beaten with cash or CC as it was better than the official rate.
    - Sainsbury's were giving 84p.
    - The CC companies would have been doing about 84p too and cash from the ATMs would have been around 85p.

The only thing cheaper would have been shops which do £1 for €1 which many still do, which of course is still better than the official rate. I have heard of Northerners withdrawing Euro cash to pay for things in shops in the North.

You should be aware of the rate on the day and check the shop's rate.

The only thing cheaper would have been shops which do £1 for €1 which many still do, which of course is still better than the official rate.
    We all know that that is a scam. If you pay in sterling in those shops you get a discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Dan Sanchez

If you had to change cash what would be best? Just go to the bureau de change up in Newry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Bond-007 wrote: »
    We all know that that is a scam. If you pay in sterling in those shops you get a discount.

I don't know if this is always the case; the person in front of me paid in sterling in Jack and Jones one day and no discount was displayed on the till, i.e. the price was £40 and he paid £40. No change was given either in a secret deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I got a 15% discount last time I was in Jack&Jones in Craigavon for paying in sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Famous45 wrote: »
    This was my 3rd week shopping in Sainsburys in Newry. I went last night and have to say I will never go again in the evening time. The shelves were bare, the burger section was completely empty, why don't they stock up? Lamp chops section again empty, so many places empty.

Also noticed something very very strange which will prompt me to contact the Quays Shopping Centre today. Here goes:

We come out with out trolley to the car and offload groceries into the car, head down to the trolley collection point, and there was 2 lines of trollies but at the end there was a small one on each, I paid no heed to it at the time and of course my trolley wouldnt fit in so I decided just to leave it there, anyway straight away within a split second of me leaving a young guy went over to my trolley and took my pound from it, I decided just to head back to the car as I didn't want a scene, so we sat there eating our Burger King and I noticed a girl taking her trolley back to the opposite side again it was a small trolley at the end, unlike me she had the clever though of turning her trolley around, but I was tired and just left mine there which I am sure many would do. Anyway this girl had nothing to do with anything she was just leaving her trolley back within a split second of her leaving he was this young guy again messing around with the trolleys, I said to my girl he must work for them, but he was in plain clothes, he left and within a minute the people who do work for sainsburys came and took the trolleys away. We came to conclusion that this guy was taking out small trolleys and putting them to the front so that people would have to leave them there and he would come then and take the money from them, we followed him around the car park for a short while and noticed him up and down the quays car park like a yo yo from station to station, we beeped at him but he paid no heed. The guys who work for sainsburys collecting the trollies obviously know he is doing this but yet I suppose they dont confront him. He is a con man and in reality should be reported to the police right?

The euro 20c coin works in sainsburys also, use that next time:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

for anyone near claremorris in mayo, visit the n17 food club, did it this evening and its better that asda etc. in the north. well worth a visit and nice to see a response to lidl and aldi in ireland,

the brands are all the well known and prices are A1.http://static.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Advertisement