Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

dont think so ,i think they are in belfast and ballymena but i stand to be corrected .anyway try belfast its a nice spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ChicaWeen

thanks, ya i suppose belfast has more to offer, just the distance is putting me off. Might head up there though, there is an Ikea up there too and could do with going there.. Was in Dublin today looking at clothes - sterling 12.90.. euro price 19.90..real exchange price 13.27 :confused:... makes no sense to shop down south.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

yes i know wife saw a coat in debenhams in limerick for £80 or €145 i offered them the 90sterling but they said the were not allowed take it. belfast is only a short trip from dublin on a motorway u would be there be fore you notice it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

The situation is laughable, continuing to charge high prices when people have less money to spend is pointless.. and the government increasing taxes is just adding to the problem,
    Brian cowen and buddies chatting over their lunch (paid for by me and you) ..."ya here´s an idea lads we should increase tax on goods and services, increase travel costs and we should continue to receive rediculously high expense costs - its a sure-fire way to over come this economic downturn..now pass the champagne Mary"

• Advertisement

Yes Ikea is brilliant for affordable redecorating, lived in Spain and furnished whole 2bedroom apartment for less than 900 euro.. thats beds, bedding, tables, chairs, couch, rugs and more.. just hope when (if) it opens in Dublin the savings wont be lost... this is a handy link about opening hours for shopping in Belfast if anyone needs it.. http://www.belfastcentre.com/index.php?Itemid=99&id=70&option=com_content&task=view

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

Yeah, totally agree with you, hope Ikea don't try to get in on the rip-off act when they open in Dublin. I live in Meath and furnished my 2 bed house from top to bottom for approx €1800 this time last year, that includes 2 seat sofa, 2 armchairs, kitchen table & 4 chairs, bed, mattress, lockers (4), desk, office chair, shelving and hall unit, as well as a million and one knick knacks for kitchen and stuff like bedlinen and lamps!I hear delivery is quite reasonable too - but i was lucky i had my dad and his trailer.
    My boyfriend is from Belfast so would be up there quite regularly - savings i make on regular grocery shopping (just for me, living alone) seem to at least pay for the petrol (shopping in Sprucefield or asda on Falls rd) and often a lot more to be saved on specials and bulk buys.
    One little example - halogen lightbulbs for spotlights (can't remember code at mo) normally approx 10 euro for pack of four down here, £1 each in asda.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Why would you think that currys in the south would help you? Or PC world?

Your contract is with the shop where you purchased it. Take it back there instead.

Decathlon will allow you to bring stuff back to a French store if you bought it in London, without any problem (I've done it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Good for them. They are not obliged though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dealhunter

DonJose wrote: »

We featured on the very same page as that article.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Littleguy

Hey folks. Some more money saving tips.......

www.camskill.co.uk - Tyres, enter the correct details and you will find cheaper tyres anywhere in Ireland or the UK - of the net for that matter. delivered to any door you like within 2 - 3 days.

Jon Exhausts Tyres and Motor factors in newry - 00442830264371 will fit them for you approx. £30.

Total cost of my new 'Hankook' tyres - €234 delivered and fitted.
    The cheapest I could find here was €75 per tyre for SAVA - crap.
    Before anyone gives out - I did try a few places down here and asked them could they match the prices - I shouldn't have bothered. I was laughed at made to feel like an idiot.

Also - ISAAC AGNEW in Belfast £250 set price for a Service A on a Merc, including a mini valet (wash, hoover, windows & tyres).
    Annesley Cloughran €400 - 'there or there abouts' and when asked would I get a wash for that I was asked - 'What would we do that for?'.

Phone hung up - car booked with ISAAC's.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Seems some businesses just dont wanna push the boat out for some custom. Stuff them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Littleguy wrote: »
    Jon Exhausts Tyres and Motor factors in newry - 00442830264371 will fit them for you approx. £30.

Not that it makes a huge difference, but if you dial 048 30264371 from the Republic it will be treated as a national call in terms of charging. Dialling 0044 costs more from some telcos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ilovecars

aloevera wrote: »
    does anyone know how much the playstation4's ar in Currys up north?
    ????????????????????????:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

aloevera wrote: »
    does anyone know how much the playstation4's ar in Currys up north?

One million future-dollars I believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Guys sorry to be asking a question that i'm sure was answered, I tried searching but to no avail.

I've been in ASDA Enniskillen before the XMas but paid with cash (ATM Outside the door) - But can I just pay with my Laser card? Or do I need Euro cash? Either way, when arriving at the checkout do I need to inform them that i'm paying in Euro?

Suppose the best way to check whether to pay in Euro at ASDA or get Sterling from the ATM is to ring ASDA and the Bank the day before and see who's giving the best rate?

Asda take laser. Tesco and Dunnes don't. Which is annoying.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Asda take laser. Tesco and Dunnes don't. Which is annoying.
    Do they charge the laser card in Euro or sterling?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Asda and Sainsburys charged me in Sterling on the Laser just before Christmas, heading up again this weekend, the savings on household items are scary.

It was most likely they accepted your maestro card as laser is a ROI function only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

For some reason Permanent TSB will not work in ASDA. All others do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Was in Asda Enniskillen today and bought a Canon PIXMA iP1900 for £25, I'm not buying printer ink anymore, at this price I'll just buy a new printer.

For some reason Permanent TSB will not work in ASDA. All others do.
    It is not a maestro card.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Maybe it's been covered before but has anyone any feedback on shopping for groceries in any of the Dunnes Stores in N.Ireland. Be interested to see how prices compare with the South. I think there is one on the "main" - cant remember the name in Newry

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It is not a maestro card.

My PTSB laser card is a year old and has the maestro logo, I haven't had an issue using it up North.
    Just another little saving that I came across in the last few days, the wireless adapter for the xbox 360, 89.99 yoyos in Harvey Normans, 49.99 stgs in Gamestop in Newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Josh it was posted somewhere on this thread before that Dunnes charges less in NI than the south...Mad isnt it!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

looking at my a/c after being up north at the weekend i notice that the worst exchange rate i got for using my laser card was, surprise surprise, from an irish company. O'briens sandwiches were 1c worse that the worst english retailer. ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

If you go out the back door of the Buttercrane (the door near the Dunnes clothes shop in Buttercrane) and cross the bridge, walk up the street and take a right there's a Dunnes grocery on that street. It's small but I went there once when Sainsburys was out of baby Formula. Aptimel Easy Digest costs €17.49 in my local Dunnes in Dublin and it cost £7.95 in Dunnes in Newry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hamish262001

anywhere to get good quality bed up in the north?
    not ikea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dunser

Here my 2 pence, I was up the north for the weekend. I have to say Belfast was Class, Great Shops Great food and Great value. On the way home on sunday morning I stopped into Newry to Sainsburys to see what it was like. It was pure Nuts, The Crowds at 1pm were crazy , they were beating each other for Trollies outside , the q's at the check outs were 6 deep by 1.20pm. So be Warned

Advertisement