Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

Did not know there was an ASDA in Newry - whats it like, is it a large store

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

still loads of bargains in the clothes shops in Derry,
    two cars with Donegal regs were burned out there two or three weeks ago though!:eek:
    My God. I didn't think the Irish Government would go to those lenghts to stop us shopping up there. :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

sue97 wrote: »
    Did not know there was an ASDA in Newry - whats it like, is it a large store

Its not in Newry, its in Kilkeel miles away. Address is misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Oh, and in case anyone wants to ring these shops, replace the 028 with 048 when dialling from the Republic. For numbers not starting 028, remove the initial 0 and dial 0044 instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 P Davis

i was in sportsdirect (hetons)? in armagh yesterday purchased a twin pack of kangol t-shirts reduced from 50 pound to 8 pound sound good but it gets better went to pay with 50 euro rate in shop 1euro = 90p looked at my change to see 42pounds receipt say,s exchange rate 1.00 so net cost to me 1.50 pounds appox. nice:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

gurramok wrote: »
    Its not in Newry, its in Kilkeel miles away. Address is misleading.

It's about 20-25 mins from Newry. Small, but has the essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

JHMEG wrote: »
    Small, but has the essentials.
    A bit like Danny Devito so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 2010House

Did anyone see the supplement in the Farmers Journal last week, it gave price comparisons about domestic appliances with Dublin and Newry. It's just crazy to see the difference ....Newry is looking very appealing for a serious shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Going to Enniskillen to do my unpatriotic duty (and then some) this weekend

Question: Is LIDL cheaper up north than south too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

2010House wrote: »
    Did anyone see the supplement in the Farmers Journal last week, it gave price comparisons about domestic appliances with Dublin and Newry. It's just crazy to see the difference ....Newry is looking very appealing for a serious shop.

Can you link to the story please? I can't find it on the IFJ site.

• Advertisement

Going to Enniskillen to do my unpatriotic duty (and then some) this weekend

Question: Is LIDL cheaper up north than south too?
    Yes it normally is especially with the current exchange rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 2010House

joolsveer wrote: »
    Can you link to the story please? I can't find it on the IFJ site.

Jools, I'm a complete novice, I have no idea how to link to it. Well worth it if you can get your hands on last weeks paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

If anyone is going to tesco up there and feels like doing a good deed. pm me.

http://www.supermarketspecialoffers.com/Search.aspx?Search=eat%20natural

Eat Natural Almond & Apricot Yoghurt Coated Bar 50g Tesco - £0.68 - 2 for 99p - 24/02/2009

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Richard wrote: »
    ASDA Stores Ltd
    1, Ring Rd, Coleraine, County Londonderry BT52 1QP
    Tel: 028 7035 8446
    2, Bannfield Rd, Coleraine, County Londonderry BT52 1HU
    Tel: 028 7032 8850

Lisnagelvin Centre, Lisnagelvin Rd, Londonderry, County Londonderry BT47 6DA
    Tel: 028 7134 3917

Foyleside Shopping Centre, Orchard St, Londonderry, County Londonderry BT48 6XY
    Tel: 028 7137 7550

Springtown Centre, Northland Rd, Londonderry, County Londonderry BT48 0PU
    Tel: 028 7126 4765

Meadow Lane Shopping Centre, Moneymore Rd, Magherafelt, County Londonderry BT45 6PR
    Tel: 028 7963 4200
    1, Bannside Wharf, Coleraine, County Londonderry BT52 1BW
    Tel: 028 7032 0800

10, Riverside Park, Coleraine, County Londonderry BT51 3AW
    Tel: 028 7032 8957
    Strand Rd, Londonderry, County Londonderry BT48 7PB
    Tel: 028 7136 0770

Can't find these on my map :-)

I think that info is all wrong. 4 Asda stores in Coleraine????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Deffo no Asda in Foyleside Derry mate. Nearest is Strabane

Does anyone have any recommendations for good bargain spots in Enniskillen other than the grocery stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

muffler wrote: »
    I think that info is all wrong. 4 Asda stores in Coleraine????

There's only one listed in Richards post. Jimmy's quote has everything lumped in under the ASDA heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Does anyone know if there is a good place for household appliances in Enniskillen? Or is Newry better? Looking to buy a couple of things and will travel if the savings are significant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭signman12

muckety wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a good place for household appliances in Enniskillen? Or is Newry better? Looking to buy a couple of things and will travel if the savings are significant!

what exactly are you looking for, electric can opener or a washing machine, almost all shops in the north have items cheaper especially with the sales still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

I'm not making a political point - just doing a copy/paste!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

With the currency exchange rates now, there are some huge bargains x.gif I usually go for Sainsburys and Argos!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I am putting in a new kitchen. Does anyone here have the name of a good domestic appliance supplier in the Newry area? I would need them to deliver to West Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

i am going to belfast and i was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to buy a laptop and what are the prices compared with limk

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

People need to realise that Sterling has strengthened considerably against the euro recently. Banks are selling at between 84p/85p to euro today. There are many bargains out there still but consumers need to be more prudent and mindful of what they buy, carefully checking prices down South BEFORE you buy up North...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

madanall wrote: »
    People need to realise that Sterling has strengthened considerably against the euro recently. Banks are selling at between 84p/85p to euro today. There are many bargains out there still but consumers need to be more prudent and mindful of what they buy, carefully checking prices down South BEFORE you buy up North...

Think the first line should be the other way around - sterling has come back a little bit; you need to bare in mind that the € was only in the 90's area for a few weeks and briefly ran towards parity before dropping back. Only those that went North over the Christmas holidays (Me:P) would have got the really strong rate.

Historically it is an absolutely fantastic time to use your € and go North - you will need to look very hard to find anything cheaper in the South than it can be bought for in NI and UK. € is now heading back towards the 90's again and based on the speculation that the UK economy will contract by 4% this year, there is not much good new for STG!

Buy on your visa and you will get the best rates.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

But then again you work for TESCO and may be hoping to keep your job dude...this is a shopping in Northern Ireland thread for people who want to shop there...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

muincav wrote: »
    But then again you work for TESCO and may be hoping to keep your job dude...this is a shopping in Northern Ireland thread for people who want to shop there...:(
    No need for the attitude problem. No concern of yours where I work either. As a matter of interest I shop once a month in the North anyway. If you have nothing constructive to add to the forum, don't bother posting snide comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

No need for the attitude problem. No concern of yours where I work either. As a matter of interest I shop once a month in the North anyway. If you have nothing constructive to add to the forum, don't bother posting snide comments.

Your post was not constructive but misleading, whereas most of my previous posts have been constructive and very honest....you can go back and check for the bargains in Northern Ireland that I have posted here....so dont come on and give your "glass half empty cr*p" when we all know it is still 3 quarter full.
    It wasnt an attitude problem...JUST A FACT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭signman12

what is so wrong about checking the prices south before purchasing up north, thats what I always do. if you don't then how do you know if it's a bargain.
    the supermarkets up north always seem to be selling at wholesale prices compared to the ones south of the border.
    lets keep this thread nice & friendly;)

Advertisement