Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Since the sterling has got stronger recently ?
    is it stiill worth making the journey north ?

thinking of heading to Newry to stock up on Wine and Vodka i know even with the strong sterling there will be still a good saving's to be had on the booze.
    But how about food is it worth it anymore since Tesco and Dunness have susposed to have slashed their price's ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

thinking of heading to Newry to stock up on Wine and Vodka i know even with the strong sterling there will be still a good saving's to be had on the booze.
    But how about food is it worth it anymore since Tesco and Dunness have susposed to have slashed their price's ?:confused:
    As someone who used to go to Newry once a fortnight, I've switched back to Tescos for the main grocery and Newry just for fags and booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I shopped in Tesco tonight for the first time since they brought in their price changes, and I was pleasantly surprised with the scale of the reductions, so I don't think I will be shopping in NI again unless I have a reason to go up there (or Tesco put the prices back up by stealth...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I shopped in Tesco tonight for the first time since they brought in their price changes, and I was pleasantly surprised with the scale of the reductions, so I don't think I will be shopping in NI again unless I have a reason to go up there (or Tesco put the prices back up by stealth...)

Went for a stroll around Tesco Athlone and i can happily report that yes, the reductions are phenomenal. 25-33% off of most of the weekly shopping.

Added to the lesser sterling rate and the increased fuel bill on a journey north, I think i might give the local place my business again.

That said, i think the north shopper people need to pat themselves on the back. These reductions would never have happened without people power. Voting with our wallets and all that.

The only reason to travel north now has to be for Booze. Tesco cant reduce the price of that much here (and havent... Litre of Spirits still €29.99 in republic vs £15 up north) so i guess if your stocking up on that, get out your best rainy day mix tape and get onto the M1/N3 prompto :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

With price drops here, the leveling off of sterling and the fact the UK VAT prices are due to go up in December, it looks like there is less and less value to be had by travelling up da nord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

viking wrote: »
    Don't forget that the cabinet can only be ordered for home delivery, no store pickup on this item.

Recession bustours or Dealhunter should be able to sort you out, email them first though. :)

Hi lads,
    Anyone have a contact number for Dealhunter? Contacted them via online form on their site but not heard from them yet.

What's people's experiences with recessionbustours.ie?

Cheers,
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jeanmec

just wondering if its still good value going up for nappies and school clothes??

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

If your shopping in places like Next, Debenhams, Laura Ashley etc, then the north is much cheaper. A lot of the UK shops in the south are still using ridiculous conversion rates such as 1.5-1.7 euros to the pound.
    Also for some reason large brands in tescos are still a lot higher here than in the north. Only carefully selected items have come down in price here in tescos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

I think that's the main difference between here and the north. In the north practically everything is cheaper ... even with the slightly stronger pound. Down here though the likes of Tesco et al are reducing 'selected' items. Slashing the cost of bread and hiking the cost of other things etc etc. Frankly, it's not good enough.

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Growing family here so the North is still the way to go for me.

Compared a few of our essentials against Tescos new prices and once a month trip up North still saves us a lot.

As I've said before screw the Tesco's \ Dunnes etc chains for ripping us off. Too little too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Just watch your prices in Tesco especially...talking to the staff and they are saying that they are upping some prices some weeks and lowering some, some weeks , she said to just watch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

I'm heading up north early in the morning, looking to be in Asda Kilkeel for 8am.

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase alcohol at this time? do they have any restrictions on what time they start selling drink?

thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

revileandy wrote: »
    I'm heading up north early in the morning, looking to be in Asda Kilkeel for 8am.

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase alcohol at this time? do they have any restrictions on what time they start selling drink?

thanks in advance

Acohol is sold 8am-11pm mon to sat evening, think its 2pm-8pm sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cabbages14

There is a website called nireland.ie. It seems to be promoting shops and businesses, car dealers etc from the North. It has useful maps and stuff if you happen to be planning a journey to northern ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Supermarkets in NI only open 1-6 on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Cheers for the info, got a few bargains up there.

Asda Selected Cava 750ml £4.03

15 bottles of Miller £7

and the usual 3 bottles of wine for £10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Went up to Sainsbury's last saturday, mainly for clothes. Still quite cheap compared to down here. Food is pretty much the same. Still great saving on alcohol, got a four bottle pack of delicious London Pride for only £5, and its €2.79 a botle down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 nightowl2

I go to newry nearly every week, I can't afford the southern prices. Here's a few thing's I bought from the north & the price difference is unreal--- I bought a 6 piece patio set for £59.99-its €199.00 here. I bought kitchen lights £14.99-€120.00 here. 32" Lcd tv £329.00-€500+ here. Whole cream moderm king-size bedframe, 2 cream lockers & all memory foam mattress for £748.00-the matress alone is €1058.00 here, all of that is some saving's, I love shopping in newry its so much good value. Even to go in for my dinner is only £5.00- same dinner here costs me €11.00.

nightowl2 wrote: »
    I go to newry nearly every week, I can't afford the southern prices. Here's a few thing's I bought from the north & the price difference is unreal--- I bought a 6 piece patio set for £59.99-its €199.00 here. I bought kitchen lights £14.99-€120.00 here. 32" Lcd tv £329.00-€500+ here. Whole cream moderm king-size bedframe, 2 cream lockers & all memory foam mattress for £748.00-the matress alone is €1058.00 here, all of that is some saving's, I love shopping in newry its so much good value. Even to go in for my dinner is only £5.00- same dinner here costs me €11.00.

Bloody hell ... is it any wonder people take their hard earned cash up north. What is the govts. response down here? Hike vat and other taxes and expect citizens in the south to prop up an economy that's totally overpriced. Yikes those are some good savings.

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Just wondering is it worth going to the ASDA in Kilkeel, I'm thinking of going up this Thursday/Friday - have never been to an ASDA before and am curious to see what all the fuss is about on prices. Is it a big store or am I wasting my time and should I go shopping in Sainsbury's in Lisburn/Newry instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

hi there

if this is the store nearest to newry i was told this was like a corner store? i went to downpatrick store but too long a drive from north dublin, good value to be had but time on journey was too long - hth

unfortunately i've broken my arm so can't drive so my trips up north are over til october as baby due by c-section in two weeks so won't b able to drive after that either! :eek: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

if this is the store nearest to newry i was told this was like a corner store?

Hopefully not!!! All of the other ASDA stores are a loooong way from me in Kildare:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Squidgie

I heard recessionbustours were bought over by a big Irish supermarket chain of stores, to keep them from bringing food etc over the border!

Fancy that......

http://www.recessionbustours.ie/

Yep, he's right .... it says just that on the website.

Bloody hell the vested interests in this country are just having a laugh at this stage.

Riv

That is scandalous....then again I would expect nothing less from that crowd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 nightowl2

I've been to Asda in Kilkeel, I would never go again. I think Iceland in Newry is much better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭karl75

yeah asda in kilkeel is way too small and hasnt got half the things in it that enniskillen has a lot bigger shop and perfect a long drive but well worth it lots of bargains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Squidgie

madmoe wrote: »
    That is scandalous....then again I would expect nothing less from that crowd!

Dealhunter have stopped doing business as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

livEwirE wrote: »
    Just wondering is it worth going to the ASDA in Kilkeel, I'm thinking of going up this Thursday/Friday - have never been to an ASDA before and am curious to see what all the fuss is about on prices. Is it a big store or am I wasting my time and should I go shopping in Sainsbury's in Lisburn/Newry instead?

Was in Asda in Kilkeel at the weekend. Nice shop but certainly not worth the trip. Far better selection of shops in Newry.

Advertisement