Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

rock blasting day is usually wednesday ... sometime traffic can be a bit slower into newry but nothing major

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭horse7

thanks,just my luck i picked wednesday to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

The wife & I went up to asda yesterday (27th) got some great bargains.
    8.55kg of surf = £8!
    activia 2 x 4 pots for £3
    saw the weight watchers meals for 2 for £3 apparently they are 2 for €6 here.

we spent over £390 but I am guessing I wont have to shop for another 5 weeks or so with the amount we got.
    rip off ireland is still around. :eek: everyone should defo head up north :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭veryangryman

What is the nearst Primark to Enniskillen, does anyone know (assuming there is none within)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ger1977

I bought a car up North at the start of the year. Thought it was a great idea, seemed like a fantastic bargain. A friend of mine got a similar car from another dealer up North. A month after I bought the thing, it started giving me trouble, cutting out. Brought it to an SIMI garage near me, they checked it out and I find out that not only was it clocked unbelievably but it was crashed before in the UK! Don't think i've any come back, keep being ignored. After all the hastle and the money i've spent on taxis, it's not worth the hassle. Just a warning tha you shouldnt believe all the hype about cheap cars up north- I personally would have been better off to buy a car from my local dealer who I got my last car off without any trouble at all. Apparently cars down here have gone down, next one is in the Republic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Ger1977 wrote: »
    I bought a car up North at the start of the year. Thought it was a great idea, seemed like a fantastic bargain. A friend of mine got a similar car from another dealer up North. A month after I bought the thing, it started giving me trouble, cutting out. Brought it to an SIMI garage near me, they checked it out and I find out that not only was it clocked unbelievably but it was crashed before in the UK! Don't think i've any come back, keep being ignored. After all the hastle and the money i've spent on taxis, it's not worth the hassle. Just a warning tha you shouldnt believe all the hype about cheap cars up north- I personally would have been better off to buy a car from my local dealer who I got my last car off without any trouble at all. Apparently cars down here have gone down, next one is in the Republic!

What garage do you work for :o ???

Seriously though, buying second hand cars full stop will always have certain risks, so I wouldn't be to worried about an isolated incident like that. There is a price difference though, which can be seen when comparing new cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

You should have paid for a HPI check, it would have saved you the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

mcwhirter wrote: »
    You should have paid for a HPI check, it would have saved you the hassle.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Hey,
    We are heading up to Newry tomorrow morning to get some supplies for a BBQ (Drink + Food basically). I know that Sainsburys and the like open at 8am, but I was wondering what is the traffic like on a Saturday morning? What time would you need to arrive to get parking etc?

We were thinking of getting there for about 7:30am. Would this be ok?

Thanks in advance! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Noopti wrote: »
    We were thinking of getting there for about 7:30am. Would this be ok?
    More than OK...things start to get metal in Sainburys from around 9am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

More than OK...things start to get metal in Sainburys from around 9am.

Cheers! That is perfect, I hate stressfull shopping so hopefully we can get most of it done between 8-9! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Is that you Bill Cullen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ger1977

Jumped the gun and got too excited! Had small bit of savings, thought i'd splash out. My bad, didn't get it fully checked out. Seemed clean. Friend of mine got a beauty up North for a good price. Thought I'd get the same. Got burnt, will have to move on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Thinking of heading to enniskillen on monday for the first time to do a grocery shop. are there still savings to be had against ROI dunnes/tesco or should i bother? may pick up some booze too, so wheres best for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

Thinking of heading to enniskillen on monday for the first time to do a grocery shop. are there still savings to be had against ROI dunnes/tesco or should i bother? may pick up some booze too, so wheres best for that?

Headging to Enniskillen 2moro also, just be aware of exchange rate and ROI prices. On the whole you will get a fair few deals, tis like goin anywhere else. As ASDA and Tesco's are so close together you can also compare their prices on the day, I always get a few deals in Tesco's eg own brand mixers cheaper and a few other bits n bobs, I get their water 12p sparkling water 13p still water 2l same price as ASDA but better quality. Milk normally same price, I buy Tecso as it lasts better n freezes better also. Asda mini juices same price, but their's are better quality.. personnal preference also plays a part. My kids prefer stuff thats not too sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

Im going up 2moro also, Has anyone been to sainsburys recently? What rate were they giving for the euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

present xchange rate is 87. ???????????? But have noted that tesco's give the rate of the day on cash xchanges and that means more for you as no 1.75%on cc. Just have to go prepared is all.

Is there a Sainsbrys in enniskillen?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brophy

Before you go up to save you for going to each store simply go to www.mysupermaket.co.uk and you can do all your shopping compare the different stores for prices and then print out your list so you can bring it with you.

It is a class site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭veryangryman

:pac:
    brophy wrote: »
    Before you go up to save you for going to each store simply go to www.mysupermaket.co.uk and you can do all your shopping compare the different stores for prices and then print out your list so you can bring it with you.

It is a class site.

Can be handier to check the individual stores websites too. The above site not always the most up to date - i have cited numerous examples in my recent shopping trip.

And yes, it really does pay to shop around :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 angela59

Hi All,

Am heading north again in about 2 weeks, probably lisburn. Hoping this time to buy a brushcutter, a 19inch TV/DVD combi for playroom and some fitflops - if anyone could recommend or knows where to get fitflops would be greatful and also the brushcutter.

Many thanks

Angela59:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

no way, sounds like a good looking bloke

Sounds like a spammer given this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055572308

Post reported.

Hi all,

Anyone know any good garden centers up north to purchase garden power tools?

Angela59:)

Hi,

Does anyone know is it possible to withdraw sterling from an ATM up north using your laser card?

Thanks in advance.

Angela59

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

angela59 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know is it possible to withdraw sterling from an ATM up north using your laser card?

Thanks in advance.

Angela59

Yes, if it has maestro/cirrus on the back of the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm thinking of heading up for a trip, and alcohol will be a large part of my purchases. What time in the morning can shops in NI start to sell alcohol.

Plus, are things still very busy up north on a Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi all,
    I want to buy this up North as its WAY cheaper €341 compared to €599 in Dublin!! http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6138244/c_1/1|category_root|Home%2Band%2Bfurniture|12107022/c_2/2|cat_12107022|Living%2Broom%2Bfurniture|12107322/c_3/3|cat_12107322|Home%2Bdisplay%2Bcabinets%2Band%2Bunits|12107337.htm

Just wondering has anyone used a delivery service person to deliver this down south? I don't have a car myself.

Who would you recommend?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rob22

angela59 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Angela59

Does anyone know if laser cards are accepted in the shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

madmoe wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone used a delivery service person to deliver this down south? I don't have a car myself.

Don't forget that the cabinet can only be ordered for home delivery, no store pickup on this item.

Recession bustours or Dealhunter should be able to sort you out, email them first though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Thanx Viking, I will mail them.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

dudara wrote: »
    I'm thinking of heading up for a trip, and alcohol will be a large part of my purchases. What time in the morning can shops in NI start to sell alcohol.

Plus, are things still very busy up north on a Saturday?

From 8am mon to saturday Supermarkets dont open till one on Sunday.

I go to Enniskillen and that is still busy but it is 11 before it really hots up.

Dont know about Newry

Advertisement