Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

Oops I read the limits wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

Can anyone tell me if there is a tesco near newry or banbridge if not were i intend to go to newry tomoorow someone said tesco was cheaper than sainsbury ???

also is there any bargains up there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Topmanager

faolteam wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if there is a tesco near newry or banbridge if not were i intend to go to newry tomoorow someone said tesco was cheaper than sainsbury ???

also is there any bargains up there :)

Yea there is a Tesco in Banbridge.Tesco is cheaper than sainsbury.I seen a programme on Rte(I think it was the afternoon show) and they did a comparision of goods (20 items) from all the big retailers in ireand and found tesco to be cheaper in the south.They also did a check with Tesco in the south and Tesco in the north on the same 20 items and foud Tesco Uk to be cheap by €2..So if you are going to be doing your weekly shop your better of going to your local Tesco..

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

Hi - never been shopping up North - I know things were great last year but what's it like now in Newry?

We are planning on a trip up for xmas presents - games consoles etc. - prices and deals seem better but does everywhere still take the euro and do they rip you off on the exchange?

Any advice appreciated? An internet search only seems to show tips from 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

The Government in the South of Ireland tax products higher to ensure our services are kept at a standard we enjoy, such as higher social welfare, they also insist through law that the southern shop keepers pay a minimum wage that is much higher than Northern Ireland/ That's the main reason its cheaper up north. Foreign exchange moves can also help...like right now for example. Rent were also higher here but thats changing and things are getting cheaper down south as I understand it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

bottomdog wrote: »
    The Government in the South of Ireland tax products higher to ensure our services are kept at a standard we enjoy, such as higher social welfare, they also insist through law that the southern shop keepers pay a minimum wage that is much higher than Northern Ireland/ That's the main reason its cheaper up north. Foreign exchange moves can also help...like right now for example. Rent were also higher here but thats changing and things are getting cheaper down south as I understand it

Opps, just replying to a question why was the North cheaper and what was the irish government doing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 flig

hi, just wondering which is cheaper for alcohol ASDA or sainsbury's? also have they started selling fireworks up there and is there anywhere in enniskillen you can you buy them? ta ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

flig wrote: »
    hi, just wondering which is cheaper for alcohol ASDA or sainsbury's? also have they started selling fireworks up there and is there anywhere in enniskillen you can you buy them? ta ;)

Check the websites before you go, there's links on Page 1 of this thread. Fireworks are onsale in Newry about 2 miles from the border, plenty of signs for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Hey there, heading to Newry on Saturday (don't have the energy for Lisburn)- is there anywhere in Newry that has a good selection of Waterford Crystal?

Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Swaine55

But will tesco allow an 18yr old to but 20L of vodka or so???:)

• Advertisement

OK- It's official- the big Christmas Shopping rush has started.

Was up in Newry this morning- arrived in the car park at 8.20 and plenty of cars already- many ROI regs.
    Didn't want a long drive so didn't go to Lisburn but really, Sainsburys should really get their act together in Newry at this stage- loads of wine offers- 3 for 10 etc- (check the website) but no wine boxes in sight, NO staff support in the wine section to get cases from the stock room- started to think that Sainsburys didn't want my business - after asking a manager for assistance, he eventually got me someone to get a few cases of wine that, while not on special offer, was still a lot cheaper than ROI prices - surely at this stage, they could have sorted out the booze section of the shop.
    Their starting to offer boxes of sweets £10 for 2- I'm please to report that my local Supervalue is doing the same sweets (selection, roses etc) for EUR6 each, which compares well, especially considering the prices they used to charge (more like EUR9 for 1)
    By the time I left Newry (around 11.45), car park was totally full, there were approx 60 cars queuing on the hill into the town and out of 25 cars in a row, 17 were ROI regs.
    My advice is if possible, travel on to Lisburn or travel weekdays if you're intending to do a lot of wine shopping and of course bring your own wine boxes- you may well be disappointed with your favourite wines sold out.
    Message to Sainsburys Newry- get your act together on your Booze section if you want my business

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Cicero wrote: »
    Sainsburys should really get their act together in Newry at this stage- loads of wine offers- 3 for 10 etc- (check the website) but no wine boxes in sight, NO staff support in the wine section to get cases from the stock room- started to think that Sainsburys didn't want my business -
    We're normally up to Sainsburys Newry every fortnight and I've noticed a big drop in their standards of customer service in the last month.

You should really buy their wine bags as they are quite cheap, handy and reusable.

Definitely worth going to Lisburn from now until the New Year, the difference in the stores is immense.

We're normally up to Sainsburys Newry every fortnight and I've noticed a big drop in their standards of customer service in the last month.

You should really buy their wine bags as they are quite cheap, handy and reusable.

Definitely worth going to Lisburn from now until the New Year, the difference in the stores is immense.

Yea, Lisburn is always my first choice- have been going there for a number of years but today, I just wanted a quick up/down. Do need to say that check-out staff are excellent as always and I really do feel sorry for the locals trying to do their weekly shop- I'm a firm believer that these things happen for a reason- I really did feel that Sainsburys didn't necessarily want my business today which is in stark contrast to how my local Super-value feels - won't be up again until some time in December but I think the're starting to get a bit of Celtic Tiger-itus :(

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

Was in sainsburys in lisburn (Sprucefield)yesterday, really good value on wines 3 for 10 pounds, also Magners 10gbp for 12 500ml cans-not a special offer, just normal price. Hadn't been there before but it was a very pleasant experience, no crowds or checkout queues and loads of parking. Very easy to get to also right on the main belfast motorway. Lots of other shops in the general Sprucefield centre also but didn't have time to check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

I shop there twice a week every week of the year and haven't seen any drop to be fair to them. I was returning from Belfast on Thursday night and stopped for a few bits, they had water at the end of the isle,

a young lad in Sainsbury's wear was passing by and I stopped and asked him for a price, he kindly took a pack off and headed up the isle to the cashiers/customer service area to seek a price,

after a short while he returned with a price, moments later my partner was looking for firelighters, if she could of just asked me I'd have told her!!

but she didn't and stopped a young lady again in Sainsbury's outfit who was passing by her and asked her, she took her to the isle and pointed out where they are located. The staff on the check-outs there are fantastic always have been, as are the crew who work in Sprucefield.

To be honest I can't remember ever having an issue in Sainsbury's. In my opinion it's a bit unfair to say their service has dropped when you haven't given any examples. Just my view (not trying to create an argument) :D

In_tuition wrote: »
    I shop there twice a week every week of the year and haven't seen any drop to be fair to them. I was returning from Belfast on Thursday night and stopped for a few bits, they had water at the end of the isle,

a young lad in Sainsbury's wear was passing by and I stopped and asked him for a price, he kindly took a pack off and headed up the isle to the cashiers/customer service area to seek a price,

after a short while he returned with a price, moments later my partner was looking for firelighters, if she could of just asked me I'd have told her!!

but she didn't and stopped a young lady again in Sainsbury's outfit who was passing by her and asked her, she took her to the isle and pointed out where they are located. The staff on the check-outs there are fantastic always have been, as are the crew who work in Sprucefield.

To be honest I can't remember ever having an issue in Sainsbury's. In my opinion it's a bit unfair to say their service has dropped when you haven't given any examples. Just my view (not trying to create an argument) :D

In_Tuition, I would agree that some, if not most staff in Sainsburys Newry are excellent in their job, but I did see and experience some unexceptional service on Saturday as I previously pointed out, and this was from Managers as well as floor staff
    Leaving aside any additional staff service issues (which I will leave for DublinWriter to reply, as your comment is directed to him/her) the point I probably didn't make clear enough in my previous post was that Sainsburys have had quite some time to organise their shop a little more user friendly- why stock cheap wine in bottles on shelves, when they know from experience over the last year that southern shoppers are buying it by the case? The ROI shoppers aren't happy because they can't get the volumes they want, and the local shoppers aren't happy as they cannot get their favorite wine for dinner that evening. It is this example I would put forward personally as bad customer service. (no arguement intended either)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

In_tuition wrote: »
    Last Tuesday my wife approached a guy working in the off-licence section to ask about a particular wine that my Dad asked us to get.

She went up to him, said excuse me, have you got... and no was the immediate reply before she even named the product. He didn't even look from the shelf he was stacking.

I nearly throttled him for his rudeness. He looked and smelt like he'd been on the sauce most of the previous night and morning. We also had an almost standing argument with a cashier before Xmas last who insisted that we get boxes for our numerous bottles of wine.

In fairness, we've never had any problems like that with Sainburys before, both Norn-Iron and non-national staff are usually great, so I won't play the nationality card when I cite the two incidents above.

Outlets like that do churn over staff at a high rate, so I guess it's only natural that you'd get a mix of people with differing attitudes.

Customer: Have you got any empty boxes for the wine bottles?
    Floor staff: No, it's too early for boxes.

Existentialism at its' best :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

In all fairness lads, its not for the customer service i head up the north for!

But saying that, point taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 joshie123

We're planning on heading up to Newry on Saturday - not for groceries though. Are Saturdays nuts up there at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Saturdays are not too bad, I was up about 3 weeks ago. Tailback into Newry about 20 mins but that was at 12pm.
    Try to go earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 joshie123

tweety76 wrote: »
    Saturdays are not too bad, I was up about 3 weeks ago. Tailback into Newry about 20 mins but that was at 12pm.
    Try to go earlier.

Thanks for that - we are planning on being in the car at 8 and are about 10 mins from the M50 so should be up there fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

It looks like the quays will be implementing a ticketing system to enter and leave the car park.

I saw the kiosks being put in place today complete with parking spaces available lcd signs.

I do not know if they will be charging for use of the car park but it will certainly add to the excitement of going to Newry in the coming weeks!

There must have been a ticketing system at the beginning of the quays as there is one in place at the exit next to the playground for as long as I can remember.

Was there always one at the playground? Never noticed it tbh and I did leave this way a fair few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

l find the Sainsbury's up in Sprucefield to be better than the Newry store.

Bigger store, more choice and less congested.

l've been told its a bit cheaper than Newry but l didn't bother checking tbh.

CPL 593H

It is a better store, no question.
    It is not cheaper, prices are exactly the same.
    Where it can vary would be say on special offers.
    I have noticed that in Newry for example the 2 x 12 packs of actimel at £6 disappears on Friday and reappears on a Monday. This would not happen in Sprucefield.

I live only 10-12 mins from the quays in the south and would prefer to shop in the quays as I am closer. However once the motorway is completed it'd mean sprucefield is at most 20 minutes further than the quays.

I think as well that if you are coming from further afield it would be advantageous to shall we say make a day of it and pop into belfast, victoria square, ikea (sainsbury here as well).

Belfast is a great place to shop now.

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Was there always one at the playground? Never noticed it tbh and I did leave this way a fair few times.

The machine type thing (its orange) and barrier holder have been there since I can remember. decided to stop in sainsburys in newry tonight as the weather was too bad heading up to go onwards was actually very surprised at how well stocked everything was, in times past sainsburys in newry would have empty shelves anytime after 6 and before for that matter. pretty busy and noticed quite a few people from my area there. exchange rate was .88 for anyone interested, although i always use £sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

was up in newry the other day, and got some good bargains. great rate at the mo - but as op said above, sainsburys are still only offering .88...

Semi Chem = fantastic - rate was .92 - we spent 36 pounds on BAGS AND BAGS of stuff...

The last few times we've gone up we've noticed that Savers (beside Tk Maxx and Dunnes) isnt offering a good rate at all. The other day it was only 80 something!

I have to say I love the Pound World there - for bits and pieces - between Colourcatchers and candles etc.. Great selection of Halloween Stuff too. We spent 220 euro, and that'll do us nearly 2 months. Toiletres and stuff included.

• Advertisement

The Guvnor wrote: »
    It looks like the quays will be implementing a ticketing system to enter and leave the car park.

I saw the kiosks being put in place today complete with parking spaces available lcd signs.

I do not know if they will be charging for use of the car park but it will certainly add to the excitement of going to Newry in the coming weeks!

Just found out it's going to be £1 per hour.

Advertisement