Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Gotta agree on Asda Kilkeel, very small store and not a lot of bargains, its around 30mins from Newry and NOT worth the visit. Went last Thursday and will not be bothering again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Squidgie

livEwirE wrote: »
    Gotta agree on Asda Kilkeel, very small store and not a lot of bargains, its around 30mins from Newry and NOT worth the visit. Went last Thursday and will not be bothering again.

well done - thanks for sharing that information

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

i know its a long thread but the whole asda kilkeel thing comes up a lot in this thread and the overwhelming concensus is not worth the bother is it possible for a mod to sticky it somewhere in the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 nightowl2

karl75 wrote: »
    yeah asda in kilkeel is way too small and hasnt got half the things in it that enniskillen has a lot bigger shop and perfect a long drive but well worth it lots of bargains

Karl, If you don't mind telling me is enniskillen far from Newry time wise.

I'm only new to internet and I don't know how to use maps on the internet. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Short answer: Yes. Long answer: look at a map.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 nightowl2

Stark wrote: »
    Short answer: Yes. Long answer: look at a map.

Diddn't ask you, for such a sarcastic answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

nightowl2 wrote: »
    Diddn't ask you, for such a sarcastic answer.

Yes you did (Before you edited your post)

Anyway, Enniskillen is on the N3 past Cavan (which turns into the A509 when you cross the border).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

sainsbury's is opening on 3rd sept in the kennedy centre (RIP Curleys), west belfast, just off the M1- apparently going to be the biggest supermarket in the north!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

sainsbury's is opening on 3rd sept in the kennedy centre (RIP Curleys), west belfast, just off the M1- apparently going to be the biggest supermarket in the north!

wow so asda and sainsburys within 2 minutes of each other:) should make for healthy price war

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mickeyie05

Question:

Is it illegal to drive up the north and bring back home booze to dublin???
    Anyone ever heard of anybody gettin stopped by customs??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Mickeyie05 wrote: »
    Question:

Only if you bring them to Dublin. The rest of the country is fine :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mickeyie05

ha ha well im nly a student in dublin im not frm tere! is tere any chance of gettin stopped??

• Registered Users Posts: 15 aonindy

Hi ... just wondering if anyone is going to
    Newry in the next few days would they mind
    making literally a 60 second detour to get the
    contact details of a warehouse/shop for me? ...
    its just outside Newry before the roundabout,
    sells furniture. Have been there twice and waiting
    on phone call form them but I stupidly never got their
    number and suspect they have lost mine!

PM me if you can help... will save a THIRD trip :p:)

thanks,

Allen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Mickeyie05 wrote: »
    Question:

have heard alot of cases of people getting stoped by revenue checkpoints, things they look out for back of car weighed down by booze, irrated drivers - could be traffic, the reports that have being logged so far along m1 and the sligo road from enniskillen, and armagh road to monaghan , so far fines and booze seized, but talk of court :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

aonindy wrote: »
    Hi ... just wondering if anyone is going to
    Newry in the next few days would they mind
    making literally a 60 second detour to get the
    contact details of a warehouse/shop for me? ...
    its just outside Newry before the roundabout,
    sells furniture. Have been there twice and waiting
    on phone call form them but I stupidly never got their
    number and suspect they have lost mine!

PM me if you can help... will save a THIRD trip :p:)

thanks,

Allen.
    Allen,
    Check this list out: http://www.ukcities.co.uk/Newry/Shopping_and_Retail/Furniture/
    It might be one of them. If not enough, use google maps to find out the name of the street. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=directory%20newry%20furniture&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enIE244IE245&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl
    Hope it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

Would want to have a lot of booze in the car really.....there is a limit i think when the load goes from being for personal use to being bought for resale in the republic

But i have made the journey more than once with a far but in the back and never had any hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BlueBell32

Hi, moving into a new house in few months so need to buy alot of electrical goods. Just wanted to know would it be worth going up north to buy these, would you save much and if so could anyone recommend a few places. Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ozal83

hi folks.
    does any1 know that n.i good for plasma and lcd tv or these sort of things?
    does it really worth to go up for lcd tv and some more electr. equipmt.
    what would you recommend roi or ni???

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

BlueBell32 wrote: »
    Hi, moving into a new house in few months so need to buy alot of electrical goods. Just wanted to know would it be worth going up north to buy these, would you save much and if so could anyone recommend a few places. Many thanks.

Yes, it is worth

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

ozal83 wrote: »
    hi folks.
    does any1 know that n.i good for plasma and lcd tv or these sort of things?
    does it really worth to go up for lcd tv and some more electr. equipmt.
    what would you recommend roi or ni???

definatly yes and worth
    a nice tv can save you approx 250 to 500 euro.
    Powercity however seems to be matching currys price. (+/- 20 euro)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

duckysauce wrote: »
    have heard alot of cases of people getting stoped by revenue checkpoints, things they look out for back of car weighed down by booze, irrated drivers - could be traffic, the reports that have being logged so far along m1 and the sligo road from enniskillen, and armagh road to monaghan , so far fines and booze seized, but talk of court :eek:

Can anyone else confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

Hi I want to go shopping in the north for clothes,shoes and a few bits..drink etc. Does anyone know the best shopping centre or whatever with a good choice of shops?

I have heard Banbridge,Newry,Buttercrane etc..... or would I need to go up further?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Topmanager

Hi I want to go shopping in the north for clothes,shoes and a few bits..drink etc. Does anyone know the best shopping centre or whatever with a good choice of shops?

I have heard Banbridge,Newry,Buttercrane etc..... or would I need to go up further?

The Outlook shopping centre half between Newry and Banbridge..Here the website http://www.the-outlet.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

i was hoping to find Schuh and a couple of others but there is a good selection here... might head up to belfast thx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

kleefarr wrote: »
    Originally Posted by duckysauce viewpost.gif
    have heard alot of cases of people getting stoped by revenue checkpoints, things they look out for back of car weighed down by booze,
    Can anyone else confirm this?

The drink limits for personal use according to Citizens Information are;

Cigarettes 800
    Cigars 200
    Smoking tobacco 1 kg
    Spirits (whiskey, vodka, gin, etc.) 10 litres
    Intermediate Products (e.g. sherry, port, etc., excluding sparkling wine) 20 litres
    Wine (only 60 litres of sparkling wine allowed) 90 litres
    Beer 110 litres

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/travel-to-ireland/customs_regulations_for_travellers

Its unlikely that Customs would end up prosecuting/confiscating the majority of shoppers from the south for exceeding alcohol limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Anyone knows how long is open Tesco in Enniskillen on Tuesday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ozal83

devil-80 wrote: »
    Anyone knows how long is open Tesco in Enniskillen on Tuesday?

Tesco Superstore - Enniskillen
    Tesco Superstore - Enniskillen is currently open

Normal opening times
    Opens Closes
    Mon 7AM - 11PM
    Tue 7AM - 11PM
    Wed 7AM - 11PM
    Thu 7AM - 11PM
    Fri 7AM - 11PM
    Sat 7AM - 11PM
    Sun 7AM - 11PM
    Bank Holidays
    Northern Ireland Sorry, this service hasn't provided its bank holiday opening times.
    Please contact them directly to confirm opening times.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

thats Sun 7AM - 11PM for 100% not true,every sunday its open from 1pm but thanks for that i seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

Its unlikely that Customs would end up prosecuting/confiscating the majority of shoppers from the south for exceeding alcohol limits.

Really?!?! Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

Dors1976 wrote: »
    Really?!?! Why?

Because most shoppers are unlikely to exceed the 110 litre beer limit and 90 litre wine limit. No? Thats a lot of beer and wine.

Advertisement