Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nights out.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Hilariously I've never gotten in a fight. Ever. Never had anyone try to beat me up. Ever. And I'm a lil bit of a strange lookin fella (I look a lot like my avatar). I think the trick is to just be nice to people. I mean yeah sure someone comes up to you lookin for a fight or just to stab someone or whatever insane 1 in 90,000 chance (invented statistics) well... you're probably screwed.

But the point is... you go out with an attitude problem and you'll get one back. You go around acting scared and patronising around people and they're gonna get aggressive back. I mean the whole term "scumbags" - yeah I've used it more times than I should've but these are regular people we're talking about. I'm sure Ross_Mahon gets dirty looks and people thinkin he's one of "all those scumbags around here" but he's probably not out looking to pick a fight or mug you.

Yeah, be careful and all. But don't go around judging everyone - unless you want the $hit kicked out of you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Not taking the piss at all. Every single pub you go into on a Saturday night, there are people doing coke, maybe your one of them and that's why you can't understand the gravity of the problem.

Indeed. The majority of the fights however are caused by drunks.

Now then, carry a screwdriver in your pocket and it's a concealed weapon in the eyes of the law. Your trade has nothing to do with it.

Finally, you seem like the highly paranoid type.

It's honestly not a warzone in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Whenever your on a night out and say walking down a street, do you ever have pangs of fear if you happen to see a group a lads walking by. Increasingly I've found myself being nervous just walking down the street, especially when you hear reports of perfectly decent people being left brain-damaged or even killed, just for others amusement.

Not at all. I'm just careful like anybody should be. There is a difference between keeping your eyes open and worrying unnecessarily. That said, I haven't been attacked for years.

The brain damage stories are relatively rare. As are car crashes, and you're not shaking with fear every time you get behind the wheel are you?

LOL @ screwdriver. It's a weapon and will be viewed as such. Unless you're prepared to use it, leave it at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Wagon wrote: »
    In my defence, I'm a bit of a bollocks.

Isn't that self abuse (not that kind of self abuse).
    What does the charter say about self abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Whenever your on a night out and say walking down a street, do you ever have pangs of fear if you happen to see a group a lads walking by. Increasingly I've found myself being nervous just walking down the street, especially when you hear reports of perfectly decent people being left brain-damaged or even killed, just for others amusement.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1064453/Three-arrested-murder-Barclays-boss-beaten-death-tried-defend-homeless-Lithuanian-man.html

Stories like this only fuel my fear.

I've identified the root of the problem there.
    Sure, people should keep their wits about them and take reasonable steps to minimise the risks, but there are bigger dangers to worry about.

Darragh, the overwhelming odds are that carrying an offensive weapon will get you into more trouble than it gets you out of. A can of pepper spray, a religious icon or a rape whistle would all be of more use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Dragan wrote: »
    Indeed. The majority of the fights however are caused by drunks.

Now then, carry a screwdriver in your pocket and it's a concealed weapon in the eyes of the law. Your trade has nothing to do with it.

Finally, you seem like the highly paranoid type.

It's honestly not a warzone in Dublin.

Where I live, there is a fair amount of scum. I'm not paranoid at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Dinter wrote: »
    Calm down, calm down. Move your hand slowly away from the screw driver and breathe.

I snorted a little when I saw this. Well done, sir!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Nope, can't say I ever feel nervous and I go out in Limerick! :D

I'm a big enough guy, well able to handle myself, and the group of lads I head out with are pretty much the same. Scumbags know well that any provocation will most likely land them a night in A&E. From my own experience, its really only the drunk or coked ones who really try to have a go...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

lordsippa wrote: »
    Hilariously I've never gotten in a fight. Ever. Never had anyone try to beat me up. Ever. And I'm a lil bit of a strange lookin fella (I look a lot like my avatar). I think the trick is to just be nice to people. I mean yeah sure someone comes up to you lookin for a fight or just to stab someone or whatever insane 1 in 90,000 chance (invented statistics) well... you're probably screwed.

But the point is... you go out with an attitude problem and you'll get one back. You go around acting scared and patronising around people and they're gonna get aggressive back. I mean the whole term "scumbags" - yeah I've used it more times than I should've but these are regular people we're talking about. I'm sure Ross_Mahon gets dirty looks and people thinkin he's one of "all those scumbags around here" but he's probably not out looking to pick a fight or mug you.

Yeah, be careful and all. But don't go around judging everyone - unless you want the $hit kicked out of you?

I only use the hoody at night! :D They are very comfortable and great for keeping your hands warm in the front pockets.

Hoodys definitely have a scare factor on people, they are used to conceal identities when robbing and causing trouble, They ban them in lots of super markets in the UK, Its a really serious issue over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fredzer

After my own experience, I wouldn't get involved in any situation again, either as an honest broker or to break up a fight.

That’s a pity Darragh, I think if more people intervened and made a stand on things like this it would be a better place. I know there are times when you have to draw the line on helping a stranger but I think if you feel you can help you should.

Some one made a point earlier about feeling safe in Amsterdam, completely agree with this, never saw so many cops in my life and unlike our own police were friendly and helpful. We could do with more cops on the streets here. Cops that actually give a sh*t.
    no judges discretion in the matter whatsoever, if you assault someone and your foot comes into contact with that persons head and it's caught on CCTV and beyond dispute, 6 months in the joy, good look to ya.

There was to be no judges discretion in the ten year mandatory sentence for drug possession over ten grand, see how well that did? Judges don't like being told what to do, too arrogant. This country needs a good shake up!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Seriously, if you're not taking the pi$$ with this post then I feel very worried for you. Are you that far removed from reality that you think there are gangs of blokes with super-human-coke-strength randomly stomping people's faces into footpaths, just because they can?

I take offence to this. My uncle was killed 10 years ago by having his face randomly stomped into the footpath on his way home from the pub, by teenagers. It f*cking happens a lot. People forget about it after their initial "God that's terrible" reaction when they see it on the news. Carrying a screwdriver isn't a bad idea, but I wouldn't pull it on more than 2 people. Or you'll end up with it in your own head probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I take offence to this. My uncle was killed 10 years ago by having his face randomly stomped into the footpath on his way home from the pub, by teenagers. It f*cking happens a lot.

Awful thing to happen, but not common enough to justify being constantly terrified on the streets.

Or to carry a weapon: I'd rather take a beating than serve time for stabbing somebody to death. Which you will, no matter what the provocation.

I take offence to this. My uncle was killed 10 years ago by having his face randomly stomped into the footpath on his way home from the pub, by teenagers. It f*cking happens a lot.

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, and yes, you are right to say that it happens, but no, it does not happen a lot.

I don't know why you would take offence to my post either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Where I live, there is a fair amount of scum. I'm not paranoid at all...

I have lived in estates that regularly make the news for all kinds of ****.

You are. You really, really are.
    I take offence to this. My uncle was killed 10 years ago by having his face randomly stomped into the footpath on his way home from the pub, by teenagers. It f*cking happens a lot. People forget about it after their initial "God that's terrible" reaction when they see it on the news. Carrying a screwdriver isn't a bad idea, but I wouldn't pull it on more than 2 people. Or you'll end up with it in your own head probably.

**** story man, very sorry to hear about that. However, if we remove ourselves from knowing people who have been killed by scum ( a very good friend of mine was shot outside his own home ) then we need to appreciate that these deaths are actually pretty uncommon occurances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'm hearing a fair bit of paranoia in this thread.

I'm a skinny bollix and I've only ever had one incident in my whole time in Ireland when two drunk hobos attempted to mug me with a bottle. Nothing happened as I walked away and they were too locked to follow.
    I box in an area that is viewed as not the best and the usual reaction of a lot of people is "ooh it must be so dangerous going back from there at night" etc. It's not, majority of the people there are sound.

Sure there would be the odd incident but the news and hearsay make it sound like Ireland is teetering on the brink of anarchy and that the majority of good citizens are forced to hide with the curtains drawn while armed gangs prowl their streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Another hotspot for this kind of thing is Maynooth. When I was studying out there, every week without fail someone student got the boll*x knocked out him by a gang of local scum. We were told that there was a kind of hostility towards students from local scum, maybe it's where ever you have decent people getting an education, it's in a way holding up a mirror to the local scum? The reflection doesn't look to good, so better make sh*te of the mirror so...???

No one like students :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

So after all my talk last night I got hopped on and had the shit kicked out of me. For no reason.

Wasn't too bad. I'm a little sore but no damage done. However the killer was that walking on further the gardai pulled me aside and basically told me that i had to immediately get a taxi home or be arrested (i had a concussion so was pretty wobbly).

Seriously need nicer cops here. Although no. Most of the police I've met here have been very nice. Often completely useless but generally very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It's your first post man but damn it's unreadable. Could you edit it and throw in some punctuation?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Everytime i read a news report or an article on boards about scumbags beaten on someone i tend to think that, that could be me one day and thus i do sort of worry about things like being attacked on a night out. But what i do is stick to a series of rules when out and about i call the the the No Buddy System and it seems to work for me

Here it is
    Rule #1 know the route your going to take- Take into account places where you can run and seek shelter if you're being chased, it might not be great but under the circumstances taking refuge at a chipper or somewhere that is secure might help your chances of avoiding a beating out in the steets

Rule #2 Always be alert and aware- I'm ot saying you should keep looking over your shoulder every 5 seconds but be aware of who or whats around you, if someone looks shiftty and looks like he's looking for trouble then walk across the road, or just be cautious don't take your eye of him but if possible try not to make it obvious that you're watching him because he may take it as an excuse to hit you

Rule #3 Keep a firm and steady posture- Try not to look like a mad dog, it's best to act casual, body lanuage is something a scumbag looks for when choosing a target and if you walk as if you don't know where you're going they might choose you

Rule #4 Anything goes as far as i'm concerned- it's a dog eat dog world out there and there are no rules, it's most likely a scumbag won't play fair so don't you play fair either. Use your inititive, if you can kick him in the balls hopefully it can give you a chance to escape and don't take another second to make up your mind you maybe only have one chance to get it right, if you're surrounded then try to find the weakest link of the bunch and knock him out of the way before they can react and leg it!

Rule #5 Play Possum if you've no other choice- If you do happen to get attacked and there's no way to get out then the only thing you can do is play Possum, or simply roll into a ball and cover your head, it might not help much but it's the best thing you can do to stop yourself from getting brain damage, that is if you survive

Rule #6 Take me kicking and screaming- I take it you're not all for Playing Possum so i would proberly just give it everything i got, f**king punch, kick, bite, scratch, tackle and wriggle viciously, maybe if you're lucky you'll get an opening and run

Rule #7 Crowds are rather safe- A thing i've always kept in high regard is a crowded place is more safer then an empty alleyway, if you can try to blend in with the crowd then you might be safe, it's better then nothing

Rule #8 No matter what people say The Gardai are there to protect- Most of you may not like them but one thing is certain it's a Garda's duty to serve and protect and if you can find one then by all means asking for help, i don't care what people think The Gardai are your friends

Rule #9 No your Taxi rank- I've been fortunate enough to be at places where it's not so hard to get a taxi, but knowing the taxi rank will be a lot better then taking the bus or Luas, hopefully you'll have enough money

Rule #10 Ignore those you do not trust- Simple enough don't react to someone you know is going to start something, common sayings from scumbags are Do You Have A Cigerrette or just saying something to get your attention, ignore them and pretend you didn't hear them, but be alert, be ready to increase your walking pace and if you know they're chasing you then Let It!

Rule #11 Make sure your valuables are safe- the last thing you want is for your mobile or wallet falling out of your pockets when running away from someone so hopefully enough you can put them in a place you know they won't get loose, i usually have zips on my jackets so they're quite safe

Rule #12 Don't show your valuables- Obviously don't have your money in your hand when walking down a street but also don't take out your mobile or anything else until you get to your destination, it may give them a reason for attacking you as robbing mobiles is a big thing with scumbags

That's pretty much my No Buddy System for when i have no buddies around to watch my back and i know it sounds pretty cowardly but if you're not the type who likes confrontations and wants to avoid fighting then maybe this system is the best that can help you, Remember the world is a cruel place and one of those rules could save your life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

my mate got beaten up about 3 years ago. he was walking home and was too drunk to run. he said they only stopped when he pretended to be dead.

still cringe when thinking bout how he looked. he couldn't open his eye for nearly a month. still has problems with it.

I've lectured him many times since on the run away policy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

my mate got beaten up about 3 years ago. he was walking home and was too drunk to run. he said they only stopped when he pretended to be dead.

still cringe when thinking bout how he looked. he couldn't open his eye for nearly a month. still has problems with it.

Why? You said he was too drunk to run anyway. Eye gouge for the win lads. ;) We need to generate a new tribe to occupy the skanger tribe. We had the mods vs. rockers, that kept them busy, so I'm gonna try to engineer a tribe of lads to oppose the tracksuit/pyjama wearers. What music should they listen to and what shall be their uniform eh? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 briandy

Ya how dare you try and defend yourself against a scumbag .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Scumbags are like wolves. They can get to one or two sheep because the other sheep shy away hoping it won't be them next. But of course it'll happen to one of them eventually and then he/she would really have liked if the other sheep helped.

I am for confronting scumbags, and have before and will again. Every time they get away with kicking someone while the other sheep stand by they win a little.

If I am in fight I will do everything I can to make sure the other person can't hurt me, because he will maybe kill me if he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Kernel wrote: »
    Why? You said he was too drunk to run anyway. Eye gouge for the win lads. ;) We need to generate a new tribe to occupy the skanger tribe. We had the mods vs. rockers, that kept them busy, so I'm gonna try to engineer a tribe of lads to oppose the tracksuit/pyjama wearers. What music should they listen to and what shall be their uniform eh? :)

Norwegian satanic death thrash monster metal, and anything spiky I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Rule #1 know the route your going to take- Take into account places where you can run and seek shelter if you're being chased, it might not be great but under the circumstances taking refuge at a chipper or somewhere that is secure might help your chances of avoiding a beating out in the steets

Rule #2 Always be alert and aware- I'm ot saying you should keep looking over your shoulder every 5 seconds but be aware of who or whats around you, if someone looks shiftty and looks like he's looking for trouble then walk across the road, or just be cautious don't take your eye of him but if possible try not to make it obvious that you're watching him because he may take it as an excuse to hit you

Rule #3 Keep a firm and steady posture- Try not to look like a mad dog, it's best to act casual, body lanuage is something a scumbag looks for when choosing a target and if you walk as if you don't know where you're going they might choose you

Rule #4 Anything goes as far as i'm concerned- it's a dog eat dog world out there and there are no rules, it's most likely a scumbag won't play fair so don't you play fair either. Use your inititive, if you can kick him in the balls hopefully it can give you a chance to escape and don't take another second to make up your mind you maybe only have one chance to get it right, if you're surrounded then try to find the weakest link of the bunch and knock him out of the way before they can react and leg it!

Rule #5 Play Possum if you've no other choice- If you do happen to get attacked and there's no way to get out then the only thing you can do is play Possum, or simply roll into a ball and cover your head, it might not help much but it's the best thing you can do to stop yourself from getting brain damage, that is if you survive

Rule #6 Take me kicking and screaming- I take it you're not all for Playing Possum so i would proberly just give it everything i got, f**king punch, kick, bite, scratch, tackle and wriggle viciously, maybe if you're lucky you'll get an opening and run

Rule #7 Crowds are rather safe- A thing i've always kept in high regard is a crowded place is more safer then an empty alleyway, if you can try to blend in with the crowd then you might be safe, it's better then nothing

Rule #8 No matter what people say The Gardai are there to protect- Most of you may not like them but one thing is certain it's a Garda's duty to serve and protect and if you can find one then by all means asking for help, i don't care what people think The Gardai are your friends

Rule #9 No your Taxi rank- I've been fortunate enough to be at places where it's not so hard to get a taxi, but knowing the taxi rank will be a lot better then taking the bus or Luas, hopefully you'll have enough money

Rule #10 Ignore those you do not trust- Simple enough don't react to someone you know is going to start something, common sayings from scumbags are Do You Have A Cigerrette or just saying something to get your attention, ignore them and pretend you didn't hear them, but be alert, be ready to increase your walking pace and if you know they're chasing you then Let It!

Rule #11 Make sure your valuables are safe- the last thing you want is for your mobile or wallet falling out of your pockets when running away from someone so hopefully enough you can put them in a place you know they won't get loose, i usually have zips on my jackets so they're quite safe

Rule #12 Don't show your valuables- Obviously don't have your money in your hand when walking down a street but also don't take out your mobile or anything else until you get to your destination, it may give them a reason for attacking you as robbing mobiles is a big thing with scumbags
    You know what, fcuk all that. Time they lived by our rules. Draw out the ropes and let the summary moped-draggings begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Anyone see the film Outlaw?

Bunch of guys get fed up with all the knackers beating up people, so they basically form a gang and go out and beat up the knackers and steal money from the drug dealers and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Mark200 wrote: »
    Anyone see the film Outlaw?

Bunch of guys get fed up with all the knackers beating up people, so they basically form a gang and go out and beat up the knackers and steal money from the drug dealers and stuff.

Film <
    > Reality

*not to scale

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Film <
    > Reality

*not to scale

That diagram is missing a bunny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Seriously lads, death penalty

*Slaps the back of his right hand of his left palm*
    *Then makes an impressive face*

Still though, sympathies to your mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Everytime i read a news report or an article on boards about scumbags beaten on someone i tend to think that, that could be me one day and thus i do sort of worry about things like being attacked on a night out. But what i do is stick to a series of rules when out and about i call the the the No Buddy System and it seems to work for me

Here it is

That's pretty much my No Buddy System for when i have no buddies around to watch my back and i know it sounds pretty cowardly but if you're not the type who likes confrontations and wants to avoid fighting then maybe this system is the best that can help you, Remember the world is a cruel place and one of those rules could save your life

I was walking home one night and three lads were following behind me up the street. I looked behind to see one breaking off and speeding up behind me. My mind flashed through thoughts "Im I going to get mugged" "Am I being paranoid?" "Will I look like an idiot if I just start running". Then I remembered some tv show on sky from years ago where a guy said if you gut instinct was you were being followed the easiest way to find out was to cross the street.

I crossed, obviously in a diagonal. Peered behind me and the other fella had crossed behind me. AT this point both of us stopped dead as I made eye contact, almost as if I realised I was being slow-chased and he realised that I knew it now.

He said, and Im not making this up, "Come here. I just want to talk to ya!". I replied "eh no thanks" and legged like a speedy gonzalez' daughter :D

After that I always look back and think what if I had stopped on the Am I being paranoid thought and dissmissed the idea that he was chasing me.

Advertisement