Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nights out.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

No because I'm big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Whenever your on a night out and say walking down a street, do you ever have pangs of fear if you happen to see a group a lads walking by. Increasingly I've found myself being nervous just walking down the street, especially when you hear reports of perfectly decent people being left brain-damaged or even killed, just for others amusement.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1064453/Three-arrested-murder-Barclays-boss-beaten-death-tried-defend-homeless-Lithuanian-man.html

Stories like this only fuel my fear.

Pretty much, yeah. But where I live trouble finds you; you don't have to go looking for it, unfortunately.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Lads no... Girls YES... Nothing chills my blood more than "Heeor youngone, have ye got a smoke" Trust me lads, girls can be just as vicous.. Only in packs of course.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Yeah, I see what you are saying. I'm a mechanic and I bring a screwdriver everywhere with me. If I'm out walking and see a crowd of scum coming towards me, I'd always go into alert mode. If I ever got jumped on and felt that I was going to be making the headlines the next day as the latest victim of this behaviour, I'd put that screwdriver into the side of someone's head.

I know this is completely unacceptable in the view of most people, but think about it, I'm a respectable 30 something Dublin bloke, if I get jumped on by some scumbag out of his head on coke, what can I do to survive??? This guys on coke so he already has an advantage over me, his mates might be involved, if I end up in a situation where I could have some scumbag jumping up and down on my head for a laugh, it's not open to me to call the Gardai, I'm pot committed to that situation and I can't rely on anyone else to get me out of it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Yeah, I see what you are saying. I'm a mechanic and I bring a screwdriver everywhere with me. If I'm out walking and see a crowd of scum coming towards me, I'd always go into alert mode. If I ever got jumped on and felt that I was going to be making the headlines the next day as the latest victim of this behaviour, I'd put that screwdriver into the side of someone's head.

I know this is completely unacceptable in the view of most people, but think about it, I'm a respectable 30 something Dublin bloke, if I get jumped on by some scumbag out of his head on coke, what can I do to survive??? This guys on coke so he already has an advantage over me, his mates might be involved, if I end up in a situation where I could have some scumbag jumping up and down on my head for a laugh, it's not open to me to call the Gardai, I'm pot committed to that situation and I can't rely on anyone else to get me out of it???

So long as you realise how bad it would look for you to be carrying a concealed weapon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

It gets to the stage now, where if you do see someone getting done in, you'd think twice about getting involved as pretty soon, it could be yourself that could be on the ground being jumped on.

So long as you realise how bad it would look for you to be carrying a concealed weapon?

Was thinking that myself. Plus pretty quickly that weapon could be used against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I wouldnt call myself paranoid but yeah I am generally on alert when coming home from a night.

Had to pull two lads off a girl on Dame St. last year while a crowd of onlookers watched her getting pummeled and on Monday night I saw a lad getting bottled at 8:30pm on Capel St. by a bum for absolutely no reason.

Reading the Daily Mail isn't a great move either btw, sensationalist drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I think the only advantages they would have over you are probably numbers and a plain ole feral killer instinct. I doubt coke has that much of an advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I'm a mechanic and I bring a screwdriver everywhere with me.

Thus potentially turning a pushy-shovey scrap into a murder. Very intelligent approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Unfortunately the screwdriver could be used against you, and if you retaliate with it then you are going to be worse off than the scum who initiated the whole fight.

It may be sad but the best defense is often to run especially if you are the drunk to make a decent effort of standing up to them. But at least give the main guy a dig to the head and when his mates check on him run...you won't feel as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

If I ever got jumped on and felt that I was going to be making the headlines the next day as the latest victim of this behaviour, I'd put that screwdriver into the side of someone's head.

The only problem is if you did kill someone with it I would not like to be in your position legally. By the time it came to court that little filthbag would have morphed into an angel who's grieving mother would tell the court he was only asking you the time when you went off. Plus his mates might back that up too.

Tbh it seems that these days with the justice system we seem to have, that your only definite course of action to avoid prosecution is to simply take your medicine and learn to live in a wheelchair with the associated learning difficulties these scrotes gave you for "looking at them the wrong way".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

The case in that story is very sad but tbh it was pretty reckless of him to take on 10 scumbags. Obviously his intentions were good but he didn't stand a chance. :(

I don't go on nights out much but if I do I always expect the worst and stay as alert as possible. Because of college I'm living in Cork city atm (I'm originally from in a rural area of North Cork) and generally the city is quite safe. I don't know would I feel safe living in other cities though.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Self defense for dorks FTW

The case in that story is very sad but tbh it was pretty reckless of him to take on 10 scumbags. Obviously his intentions were good but he didn't stand a chance.

Actually I think he simply told them to leave it. I don't think he got involved in dragging them off. He probably thought he'd be safe enough in a crowd but obviously the jackals picked him out.

Tbh they should bring back the gibbet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Nope, never.

haven't had a word said to me in about 4 or 5 years.

The case in that story is very sad but tbh it was pretty reckless of him to take on 10 scumbags. Obviously his intentions were good but he didn't stand a chance. :(

In simplier times it might have been thought of as courageous.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Had to pull two lads off....

O RLY? :p
    Reading the Daily Mail isn't a great move either btw, sensationalist drivel

Couldn't agree more. See below.
    ..... I bring a screwdriver everywhere with me.........I'd always go into alert mode............. I'd put that screwdriver into the side of someone's head........if I get jumped on by some scumbag out of his head on coke, what can I do to survive. This guys on coke so he already has an advantage over me

Seriously, if you're not taking the pi$$ with this post then I feel very worried for you. Are you that far removed from reality that you think there are gangs of blokes with super-human-coke-strength randomly stomping people's faces into footpaths, just because they can?

Honestly, your post reads like a 1950's anti-cannabis senationalist police propaganda leaflet.

Also, "respectable 30 something Dublin blokes" don't carry screwdrivers in their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Whenever your on a night out and say walking down a street, do you ever have pangs of fear if you happen to see a group a lads walking by. Increasingly I've found myself being nervous just walking down the street, especially when you hear reports of perfectly decent people being left brain-damaged or even killed, just for others amusement.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1064453/Three-arrested-murder-Barclays-boss-beaten-death-tried-defend-homeless-Lithuanian-man.html

Stories like this only fuel my fear.

There are ways, my friend. Mine is being able to run fast. Seriously. I was in a fight a while ago, which I won but I still had a swollen jaw. It's not worth it to fight. Looks are too important! Ask, or even look, at any ex-boxer.:)

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Nope, never.

haven't had a word said to me in about 4 or 5 years.

Well the lad in the story was a millionaire banker in his forties so I would think his days of street fighting were behind him for a few years too.

Still ended up dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

In simplier times it might have been thought of as courageous.

Yes it was courageous. But where has that courage left him? Six feet under.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

OP I see you are located in Utrecht. I spent a week in Holland in March with about 40 other people on a field trip from college.

Can honestly say I never felt as safe in any other country on nights out. We went on the lash in Amsterdam 5 of the nights and Rotterdam another night. Absolutely superb standards of policing there and they are highly visible on a Saturday night. Golf GTi squad cars are also very cool.

I had my doubts that I would be able take Dutch police seriously though :P

Yes it was courageous. But where has that courage left him? Six feet under.

Hence, the point of the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭capedcrustacian

as a girl, i do get frightened walkin through dublin alone, even during the day, a few weeks back, middle of the day walkin down abbey street, there was a junk ball stumblin all over the street and as groups walked past he said nothin so i figured i didn't have to cross to the other side away from him, but when i walked past, on my own, he said somethin, didn't hear what, so just kept walking, and he started shouting abuse at me and following me up the street shouting at me, a very kind lady came over to me and pretended she knew me and started talking to me and walked with me till the bum stopped following.
    if that had happened at night time i dare not think how it may have ended :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Thus potentially turning a pushy-shovey scrap into a murder. Very intelligent approach.

Ya how dare you try and defend yourself against a scumbag :rolleyes:, they have every right to stomp on your head, you ought to be honored..

Imo a law abiding citizen should have the right to arm themselves.. Id prefer to go up against a gang of scum with a gun than nothing.. but alas its Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Can't say I've been afraid or nervous walking down a street since I've been about twelve tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I wouldn't give an RA how it looks! It's not a concealed weapon, it's a tool of my particular trade.
    It gets to the stage now, where if you do see someone getting done in, you'd think twice about getting involved as pretty soon, it could be yourself that could be on the ground being jumped on.

I went to the assistance of an elderly foreign taxi man outside a pub who a guy had just reached into the drivers window and taken the keys out of. The guy who took the keys was completely racist and was taunting your man with the keys. I went up to your man with the keys are tried to appeal to his better nature and get him to give me the keys. His reply was that the driver was "a fithy black bast*rd who shouldn't be allowed to drive a taxi in Ireland", "them cu*ts are taking all our jobs, etc". I realised I was dealing with a total scumbag and walked away.

The cops were called but before they came, two bouncers got involved and wanted to know who had this guys keys. The guy who had the keys then slunk into the crowd and I wasn't happy thath this scumbag had managed to find refuge in a crowd of decent people, while he was happy to walk around the car taunting the driver with the keys before the bouncers came along.

A bouncer came up to me and asked me did I have the keys of this taxi, I said I didn't have them and I pointed out the guy who did. He handed back the keys, the Gardai were on their way, the bouncers head back to their door and next thing I'm on the ground with three guys jumping up and down on top of me. Ended up in A & E in Tallaght with a broken nose and generally in a heap.

What I'm saying is that don't be so quick to judge a crowd full of people who will not get involved, because the stories you read about people ending up dead on their back on a street, seem to be the very people who went to someone's assistance. I know if I had stayed out of that particular incident that I got involved in, I would have had one less trip to A & E.

Oh yeah, the funny part was, when the Gardai came, they arrested your man and charged him, I made a statement, about a month later I get a call from the Garda who took the statement advising me to drop the matter immediately because they had intelligence that your man who they arrested was connected to a cocaine dealer. They were worried that if I turned up in court, my details would be read into the record and my house would be torched.
    Honey-ec wrote: »

That's not been my experience as you can read above, I was lucky I didn't end up in the fu*king morgue.

OP I see you are located in Utrecht. I spent a week in Holland in March with about 40 other people on a field trip from college.

Can honestly say I never felt as safe in any other country on nights out. We went on the lash in Amsterdam 5 of the nights and Rotterdam another night. Absolutely superb standards of policing there and they are highly visible on a Saturday night.

You're spot on. Over here I never feel any threat of anything kicking off and I've never seen anyone even in a heated argument on the street. Guess they're just to 'chilled out' for any agro.

• Advertisement

Orange69 wrote: »
    Id prefer to go up against a gang of scum with a gun than nothing.

Would you prefer to go up against a gang of gun-carrying scumbags, though?

Advertisement