Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nights out.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

I'm a Vampire Ninja Dragon.

I am afraid of nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I know this is completely unacceptable in the view of most people

I for one find internet tough guy syndrome pretty unacceptable.
    I'm a Vampire Ninja Dragon.
    I am afraid of nobody.
    Not even Vikings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

O RLY? :p

Seriously, if you're not taking the pi$$ with this post then I feel very worried for you. Are you that far removed from reality that you think there are gangs of blokes with super-human-coke-strength randomly stomping people's faces into footpaths, just because they can?

Honestly, your post reads like a 1950's anti-cannabis senationalist police propaganda leaflet.

Not taking the piss at all. Every single pub you go into on a Saturday night, there are people doing coke, maybe your one of them and that's why you can't understand the gravity of the problem.
    Also, "respectable 30 something Dublin blokes" don't carry screwdrivers in their pockets.

This one does and if I ever got jumped on again, I'd put one cu*t into the morgue and take my chances with the law...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

IThat's not been my experience as you can read above, I was lucky I didn't end up in the fu*king morgue.

Fair enough, you've been on the receiving end of an assault and you feel better carrying the screwdriver since.

However, I just cannot see the logic in carrying a weapon for "self defence". This is why knife crime has gotten so out of hand in the UK. One scumbag starts carrying a knife, so another guy gets one for "self defence", then the next guy gets an even bigger knife than them so he feels better, and so on and so forth, ad infinitum - where does it stop???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Sure, you've to be on guard all the time..
    Its strange how a situation can completely change from normal to hostile in a matter of seconds even by mistake.

I remember a few years back i was walking along the Western Road in Cork on my way to the bus stop.
    This group of 4/5 lads walked past me in the opposite direction.
    At the same time, i was glancing over my shoulder to check on the whereabouts of the No.8A and just as these lads pass me, my bus starts approaching in the distance.
    So there i am, sprinting to get to the bus stop while checking over my shoulder every 5 seconds. On my 3rd or 4th look back i spot the 5 lads all stopped and just glaring at me running off.
    They obviously thought i threw something at them and bolted after me.
    I doubt i was going to get a chance to explain, so i kept on pegging it.
    Luckily as an 18yr old my climbing skills were still adequate so i hopped over a side gate to UCC and took off up the Grounds.
    Fortunately for me the lads didn't want to get their 'going out' clothes dirty so they stopped outside the gate.

I Contemplated the idea of doing a Braveheart and showing them my Arse cheeks, but quickly dismissed it.
    Needless to say, i missed my bus and was covered in shit but still i managed to evade an unnessesary hiding.

Good man, that's the sensible thing to do:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Honey-ec wrote: »

and so on and so forth, ad infinitum - where does it stop???

With a spoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

tribulus wrote: »
    With a spoon?

Then you end up with 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife.

With a spoon?

Nah, once people start carrying spoons someone is going to up the ante and start carrying sporks. Then it's spifes. Then splayds, god forbid. A veritable cutlery arms race.
    m@cc@ wrote: »
    Then you end up with 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife.

You should be ashamed of yourself. Go away and think of what just you did.

Fair enough, you've been on the receiving end of an assault and you feel better carrying the screwdriver since.

However, I just cannot see the logic in carrying a weapon for "self defence". This is why knife crime has gotten so out of hand in the UK. One scumbag starts carrying a knife, so another guy gets one for "self defence", then the next guy gets an even bigger knife than them so he feels better, and so on and so forth, ad infinitum - where does it stop???

Well what is the other option??? You end up dealing with a scumbag with no means of defending yourself???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

With a spoon?

That depends on how many scumbags know how to play Knifey-Spoony.

• Advertisement

With a spoon?

Nope. A board with a nail so big it will destroy us all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I wouldn't give an RA how it looks! It's not a concealed weapon, it's a tool of my particular trade.

Except when you carry it on the street with you as a scumbag stabbing tool it becomes a concealed weapon. :rolleyes: Look I don't care if you want to have something that could get you brought to court for murder if you got involved in a fight, or at the very least in trouble with a guard if you were ever, I don't know, stopped on the street for being drunk and asked to empty your pockets. If you have to carry a screwdriver to feel safe then that's your issue not mine. Try not to poke your eye out with it.

Yeah, I see what you are saying. I'm a mechanic and I bring a screwdriver everywhere with me.

If the cops stop you on the street, make sure you know the drill.

If the cops stop you on the street, make sure you know the drill.

I have my trade card in my wallet, nothing unusual about a mechanic having a screwdriver on him, if I checked my other pockets I'd probably find a spark plug, some wire and a 13 spanner!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    On one hand there's the whole escalation hypothesis. If you carry a screwdriver they'll start carrying knives etc.
    But bad news: they already carry knives. You putting your screwdriver away for good wont stop them carrying knives. There's no treaty we can sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

I wouldn't give an RA how it looks! It's not a concealed weapon, it's a tool of my particular trade.

"Well guard you would be surprised how many people come up to you in a niteclub on a Saturday night an offer you a nixer....sure I normally wear my overalls too."

A spanner that misses the obvious joke?

I have my trade card in my wallet, nothing unusual about a mechanic having a screwdriver on him, if I checked my other pockets I'd probably find a spark plug, some wire and a 13 spanner!

It what a poor attempt at a workman pun, sorry.

It what a poor attempt at a workman pun, sorry.

Don't worry, everyone else got it...

"Well guard you would be surprised how many people come up to you in a niteclub on a Saturday night an offer you a nixer....sure I normally wear my overalls too."

My clubbing days are over mate! I haven't been stopped by a Garda and searched ever, don't see it starting now and me nearly an auld lad!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I'm usually so drunk when I'm in town I don't even notice these scary types.

There was a really weird guy on the quays last night though, presumably either a junky or mentally ill, who was really spoiling for trouble. Saw him ahead of me picking up his bottle of 7up and cursing blind at whoever had knocked it out of his hand.

Then he walked straight into me (intentionally, I tried to avoid him) and deliberately dropped the bottle again and screamed "YOU MUST BE ****ING KIDDING!!" and started hurling abuse at me!

I'm lucky I was with a chick cos if I'd been on my own or with male friends my first instinct would have been to turn around and point out that he did it on porpoise. Which is probably what he wanted me to do.

Yes, I said porpoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

I haven't been stopped by a Garda and searched ever

Then bring a f*cking knife with you....or better yet a mouse trap in your trousers so if one tries to have a fiddle while you are on the ground you will at least get him. Its ok to live with being beaten up...not so much with being fiddled with.

Phlann wrote: »
    point out that he did it on porpoise. Which is probably what he wanted me to do.

Yes, I said porpoise.

Was he from Whales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Don't worry, everyone else got it...

I didn't.

I'm pretty much alert when walking anywhere, damn scummers:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

To be honest, I can't blame you for carrying a concieled weapon around. If i was to choose between the life of a 30 something year old bloke, out minding his own business and not out to harm anyone or a little **** coked up to his eyeballs with about 9 mates behind him I'd choose the former.

The simple reason this has gotten out of hand is because people don't seem to want to take a stand. I was expecting a lot of posts at this stage of people saying that carrying a screwdriver for your own protection (and it's your trade anyway) wasn't all that drastic and instead it's a load of stupid bollocks about how foolish you are and your one of them etc...
    Seriously, if you're not taking the pi$$ with this post then I feel very worried for you. Are you that far removed from reality that you think there are gangs of blokes...randomly stomping people's faces into footpaths, just because they can?

Honestly, your post reads like a 1950's anti-cannabis senationalist police propaganda leaflet.

Also, "respectable 30 something Dublin blokes" don't carry screwdrivers in their pockets.

This post made me laugh quite a lot, especially the bit in bold. You must be some sort or retard. You have to be, there's no other explaination. If this wasn't true you wouldn't have so many people killed my gangs of scumbags every day. Maybe if a close family member of yours suffered the fate of being murdered on their way home from the pub, you'd think differently. I really can't believe how many people are willing to just act like these murders never happen. It's only the murders you hear about as well, there's loads of attacks and beatings from these scumbags who are just out for the laugh. A friend of mine was found unconsious on the ha'penny bridge a few years ago with blood coming out of his head and absolutely nothing was stolen from him either. What the **** else explaination is there!?

There are a lot of complete retards aout there who've allowed this to happen. Mainly the PC brigade who all come out with "he's from a bad family", "he doesn't have all advantages" and the classic "he doesn't have a proper education". None of these are an excuse to murder someone for the craic! Anyone out there who criticises a person for defending themselves is not much better then these little pricks doing the killings. Some of you need to get your ****ing heads checked and realise that if a young lad and his mates beat up or kill someone, its neccessary to lock the litte ****s up at 18 rather then giving them a second chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I dont carry weapons with me when I go out, in Cork, but if anyone ever attacked me I would not actually stop until they are either in a coma or dead. I might be brought up on manslaughter charges but I wouldn't give a ****e because my life is way more important to me than any other scumbags.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Was he from Whales?

Not sure. He was very shellfish though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

I realised I was dealing with a total scumbag and walked away.

And you hadn't been assaulted at that stage. You could have gone home with nothing more than annoyance at the scumbag.
    The guy who had the keys then slunk into the crowd and I wasn't happy thath this scumbag had managed to find refuge in a crowd of decent people

A crowd of people with such obvious decency that not one of them had tried to help.

A bouncer came up to me and asked me did I have the keys of this taxi, I said I didn't have them and I pointed out the guy who did.

Why not let the taxi man point the lad out?
    He handed back the keys, the Gardai were on their way, the bouncers head back to their door and next thing I'm on the ground with three guys jumping up and down on top of me. Ended up in A & E in Tallaght with a broken nose and generally in a heap..

Apart from being driven into your ribs from a scumbags kick exactly what use would the screwdriver have been in that situation?

I know if I had stayed out of that particular incident that I got involved in, I would have had one less trip to A & E.

You made a mistake in marking yourself out that no amount of crazed screw driver wielding would have gotten you out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If it was a crowd of skangery girls, yes, I'd be nervous. Lads, no.

• Advertisement

Wagon wrote: »
    If this wasn't true you wouldn't have so many people killed by gangs of scumbags every day.

I can't walk home in the evening for the bodies of people killed by scumbags every day on the footpath. It really is that bad.

I don't know where you live, a cloud in cuckoo land perhaps?

Wagon wrote: »
    You must be some sort or retard
    No need for this. If you have a point, make it.

Advertisement