Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭914

JimWinters wrote: »
    The other options we have include staying as an IoT and use that as our USP. We can then wait 5 years and apply to become a full university again under the 1997 Universities act.

This is it for me, if a government is really serious about delivering a University for the South East. Let Carlow become a TU, fund WIT properly over the next 5 years, apply for Uni and rubber stamp that bad boy.

We then have a TU and Uni but no we're constantly being told "this is the only game in town. There is no plan B" I am just asking the question, why?

Unless of course Carlow does not meet TU Criteria and couldn't find another IoT that would meet TU criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/walton-institute-wit-ict-research

Another reason WIT should just be upgraded to a full stand alone university. If the TSSG can become a research institute makes no sense that WIT should not be a full university.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

BBM77 wrote: »
    https://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/walton-institute-wit-ict-research

Another reason WIT should just be upgraded to a full stand alone university. If the TSSG can become a research institute makes no sense that WIT should not be a full university.
    So WIT now has a research institute ( the only one in the country not attached to a university) and 3 research centres and over 15 research groups .Meanwhile IT Carlow has just 6 research groups, and they are calling this a merger of peers !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

https://www.wlrfm.com/listen-back/

25 Minutes in, Willie Donnelly, talking about TSSG becoming The Walton Institute and some talk of TUSE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

must listen back to willie donnelly although damien tiernan would grind you down listening to him.

has anyone heard anything from this fuse group? They were all go there a month ago & nothing since!

must listen back to willie donnelly although damien tiernan would grind you down listening to him.

has anyone heard anything from this fuse group? They were all go there a month ago & nothing since!

Haven't heard anything from FUSE since they met with our TDs. Damien Tiernan, didn't press Willie Donnelly as he did with politician's. More so seemed to embrace the TU.

Maybe we have it all wrong. Maybe WIT is going to be the driver and leader of TU, it's the only reason to explain why FUSE have gone so quiet.

Maybe they received inside information and are not going to rock the boat, maybe they have received reassurances from the politician's and institute personal.

That is my hope anyway, as like it or not, TUSE looks like it will be formed on the 1st of Jan 2022

I suppose giving Donnelly a "hard time" about TUSE when marking another step forward in the very successful institute he got off the ground would have struck a bum note.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

N&S carrying the latest TUSE story....

https://twitter.com/WaterfordNS/status/1376641699175399425

Saw that. Deise Today will be worth listening to in the morning.

• Advertisement

Saw that. Deise Today will be worth listening to in the morning.

It’ll be Damien from the pulpit, he’ll give it 3 mins & then he’ll head off to some Labrador in lismore or Ivy growing up a wall in stradbally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Deiseen

It’ll be Damien from the pulpit, he’ll give it 3 mins & then he’ll head off to some Labrador in lismore or Ivy growing up a wall in stradbally!

That's unfair. The amount of coverage he has given to this issue is immense.

is it?

did he get any local TD or senator on the radio?

Bar giving marc o cathasaigh a grilling

If he did i must have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

As said, this is very unfair. The interview he did with Brendan Howlin on the TUSE was excellent, really showed him up for the parish pump clown he is.

You need to pay more attention! He did a whole week on this issue the only absentees were the minister and maybe Mary Butler.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭invara

I just read Darren Skelton's piece in this week's News and Star- it makes my blood boil.

It is a real slap in the face to any public servant caught between the demand of delivering a service and negotiating the complex and slow national tender, procurement, or recruitment rules. The processes exist to protect public money from misuse. WIT Presidents and Chairmen lost their careers over much less.

invara wrote: »
    I just read Darren Skelton's piece in this week's News and Star- it makes my blood boil.

It is a real slap in the face to any public servant caught between the demand of delivering a service and negotiating the complex and slow national tender, procurement, or recruitment rules. The processes exist to protect public money from misuse. WIT Presidents and Chairmen lost their careers over much less.

Cullinane was like a dog with a bone with the last WIT President

sure was - took great pleasure kicking him, did the same to willie donnelly in the public accounts committee over feedhenry.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

sure was - took great pleasure kicking him, did the same to willie donnelly in the public accounts committee over feedhenry.

Yea I bet this story goes away with no comment from any politicians and things carry on as they have up to now . On another note does anyone know when staff are voting the MOU and have the unions given any guidance on the vote

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JimWinters

imacman wrote: »
    Yea I bet this story goes away with no comment from any politicians and things carry on as they have up to now . On another note does anyone know when staff are voting the MOU and have the unions given any guidance on the vote

Union, singular. I’ve heard it’s only the lecturers that get to vote (and possibly only lecturers that are union members). Admin staff aren’t part of the MOU from what I’ve heard. That could just be Chinese whispers, can anyone confirm?

• Advertisement

JimWinters wrote: »
    Union, singular. I’ve heard it’s only the lecturers that get to vote (and possibly only lecturers that are union members). Admin staff aren’t part of the MOU from what I’ve heard. That could just be Chinese whispers, can anyone confirm?

If it’s lecturers then it’ll be like the hospital

They’ll all be bought off, few quid for research, few doctorates thrown around...

Like all the experts in hospital they’ll sell out another generation

Same clowns different circus this

imacman wrote: »

Over 90% voted in favour of the last MOU, hard to see it being much less this time around unfortunately, even if it was it will make little difference.

Unfortunately this **** show is going ahead and looks like there is nothing anyone can do about it and we must now rely on our representatives ensuring we get what we were promised to make this a success.

That doesn't give me much faith in the process.

Deadline has now passed for the tender to be complete on the new engineering building.

Tender was due to be complete by the first quarter of 2021. Great start

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40254707.html

National news now.

Imagine if this was FeedHenry / TSSG David Cullinane would be jumping up and down in the public accounts committee....

Then again, I suppose third level education isn’t important to his voters

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40254707.html

National news now.

Imagine if this was FeedHenry / TSSG David Cullinane would be jumping up and down in the public accounts committee....

Then again, I suppose third level education isn’t important to his voters

Give the man a break, overworked constantly moaning on twitter or posting coordinated tweets issued from HQ.

Pre-prepared press releases work best for them.

Stand to be corrected but there was no mention of 3rd level in their manifesto.

Looks like FUSE are still around which is good. Just posted on their Facebook page

"Following from the initial very positive meeting with all five Waterford Oireachtas members last month, members of FUSE will meet with them again on Saturday.

We look forward to receiving clarity on the many issues raised at our last meeting and hearing about any further positive developments for Waterford/TUSE

#MaryButlerTD Marc Ó Cathasaigh, T.D. David Cullinane T.D. Matt Shanahan - Independent TD for Waterford Senator John Cummins"

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭spaceCreated

Any news on this?

Any news on this?

Just posted on Facebook there now

"FUSE recently met the Waterford Oireachtas Members. Assurances were given at this meeting that the TUSE process will deliver for Waterford. The group welcomes this and continues to pursue a meeting with Minister Harris for further clarification. A full statement will be issued soon.
    #marybutlertd Marc Ó Cathasaigh, T.D. David Cullinane T.D. Senator John Cummins Matt Shanahan - Independent TD for Waterford"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

914 wrote: »
    Just posted on Facebook there now

"FUSE recently met the Waterford Oireachtas Members. Assurances were given at this meeting that the TUSE process will deliver for Waterford. The group welcomes this and continues to pursue a meeting with Minister Harris for further clarification. A full statement will be issued soon.
    #marybutlertd Marc Ó Cathasaigh, T.D. David Cullinane T.D. Senator John Cummins Matt Shanahan - Independent TD for Waterford"

So Harris won't meet with them and won't go on WLR either. I'm sure those 'assurances' are copper fastened also :rolleyes:. They've completely thrown away any momentum they had as a lobbying group with their silence. Useless.

So Harris won't meet with them and won't go on WLR either. I'm sure those 'assurances' are copper fastened also :rolleyes:. They've completely thrown away any momentum they had as a lobbying group with their silence. Useless.

Still yet to see what these assurances are. Increased students numbers? Waterford the leader and driver? Or just the usual tripe of how a TU will be beneficial with all the promises of the moon and the stars.

Reckon Harris won't appear on WLR untill the TU is done and dusted, he will then be celebrating it's creation while avoiding any of the hard questions during the application process.

• Advertisement

914 wrote: »
    Reckon Harris won't appear on WLR untill the TU is done and dusted, he will then be celebrating it's creation while avoiding any of the hard questions during the application process.

Agree, what's annoying is that local media will have to carry his triumphant march as they will want to pose their own questions as pointless as they'll be after the fact.

Advertisement