Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Does my bum look big in this squat rack?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭daveywavey08

I wish I had a good back. Just reading your blog making my back hurt. Man, you'll be owning Hanley soon and he takes it soooooo seriously.

Will ya put up a vid of your good mornings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Just curious, where are you finding the sticking point? have you thought about boards? (obv you bench far more than me so only thinking out loud here...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I wish I had a good back. Just reading your blog making my back hurt. Man, you'll be owning Hanley soon and he takes it soooooo seriously.

Will ya put up a vid of your good mornings?

Will do man. I'm heading up this afternoon and I'll bring the camera.

I won't be owning Hanley unless we both take up competitive thumb wrestling (I rule at that)

He hasn't made a max attempt in a long time and when he does it's going to be stratospheric. You have to see how easily he moves the weight he does with your own eyes to appreciate how strong he is. And he's only a pup!

Just curious, where are you finding the sticking point? have you thought about boards? (obv you bench far more than me so only thinking out loud here...)

Jesus man don't be afraid to make suggestions, I've done this wrong enough for long enough to think I've got better opinions than anyone else.

I did think about boards but then I have the same doubts as the floor presses, is it too much tricep work for a raw lifter?

To back this up and answer your first question, I'm sticking about 4-6 inches from my chest. I may be wrong but I think that's lat territory. Once I get it to tricep territory my lockout is good. This is why the pause benches popped into my head, would they help with strength, speed etc off the bottom to be able to blast through.

I'm working building my lats but they're a work in progress as you can see from all the rowing and pulling. They are a fairly underdeveloped muscle and I'm finding them tough to grow. They are progressing but they clearly aren't my strongpoint.

What age are you now old man

• Advertisement

What age are you now old man

28 and rising.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I don't think floor presses would be overkill at all. I really like them.

Your pendlay rows could stand to come up. Are you doing with or without straps? If you're not using straps right now, get some and use them. Your back might be a bit of a weak point if they're indicative of your overall row strength!

I'd say you're probably going a bit heavy on the seated dumbbell powercleans. I've only ever use 10-15kg max. Try to stick to higher reps with them too.

Seriously good squatting by the way. If your reps were as easy as the vids you posted a while back, 200 should be second attempt sorta weight!!

Good to see you hammering the ab work too... I figured out the "best" way to do the ab pulldowns on that stack btw. If you get the weight down to the starting position and get your heals jammed right back agains the brace and also against the sides and lean forward it puts ya in an awesome position.

kevpants wrote: »

I won't be owning Hanley unless we both take up competitive thumb wrestling (I rule at that)

He hasn't made a max attempt in a long time and when he does it's going to be stratospheric. You have to see how easily he moves the weight he does with your own eyes to appreciate how strong he is. And he's only a pup!

There'll be no thumb wrestling. After a series of embarrassing losses to Malteaser I was forced to retire.

Thanks for the kind words. I think the weight only looks easy at times because I can keep my form so locked in!! I might do a raw comp at some stage next year if I decide I'm happy enough with my strength to try it!

Hanley wrote: »
    I don't think floor presses would be overkill at all. I really like them.

Your pendlay rows could stand to come up. Are you doing with or without straps? If you're not using straps right now, get some and use them. Your back might be a bit of a weak point if they're indicative of your overall row strength!

I'd say you're probably going a bit heavy on the seated dumbbell powercleans. I've only ever use 10-15kg max. Try to stick to higher reps with them too.

Seriously good squatting by the way. If your reps were as easy as the vids you posted a while back, 200 should be second attempt sorta weight!!

Good to see you hammering the ab work too... I figured out the "best" way to do the ab pulldowns on that stack btw. If you get the weight down to the starting position and get your heals jammed right back agains the brace and also against the sides and lean forward it puts ya in an awesome position.

Straps it is sir.

Back strength has been an issue form day one. I'm rowing all over the place to try to get it up. However those pendlays aren't a true representation due to this elbow issue. The pain is getting so bad at time my grip is weakened and the pain at the top of the row is pretty intense.

The ab idea sounds painful. Will try that tonight!

Friday 12/12/08 RE Lower

Front Squat
    70kg
    x12
    x12
    x12

Good Mornings:
    100kg
    x12
    x10
    x9
    x8
    x7

Pull Thru's:
    87.5kg + 7.5kg

Standing Ab Pulldowns (Hanley Style)
    112.5kg
    x12

Front Squats were dong in that arms crossed stance rather than Weightlifter style. Right wrist doesn't ahve the ROM for it. They pretty much suck. 12 was the rep range that the bar started to kill my shoulders/arms so I don't think I got much out of them.

Hanley that foot position on the Ab PD's is savage. I still got 12 reps but really felt it in my abs, took any leg assistance right out of it. First time I've had ab DOMS in months also!

• Advertisement

Saturday 13/12/08

Dumbell Bench

27.5kg bells
    x12 easy

35kg bells
    x10
    x6
    x5
    x5

Chins (actually everything up to now has been pull-ups)

Seated DB Shoulder Press:
    17.5kg

Seated Cable Rows:
    82.5kg

DC Curls 35kg

Liked the DB work and got them real deep. Felt like I was activating muscle I haven't been with all my other bench work.

Dunno if I'm doing the DC Curls right. They're strange. I'm grabbing the long pulldown bar on the bent section so my hands are really wide but in an EZ Curl position???

Monday 15/12/08 ME Lower

Deadlift

120 x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    140 x 1 x 4
    165 x 1 x 3
    190 x 1 x 2 (with belt now on)
    210 x 1 x 1
    230 x 1 x 1 PR
    215 x 1 x 1
    205 x 1 x 1

Good Mornings
    110kg
    x 7 (made a fukc of that, grip too wide and bar rolled onto my neck...nice)

Hack Squat Machine (5 holes showing)
    60kg

Standing Ab Pulldowns:
    112.5kg

Early Xmas present with the deadlift. Didn't think I'd be able to do that for a long time but pulls seem to really suit me.

The belt is hard to get used to for pulling. It sometimes gets in teh wya and other times rides up. On the 210 lift it ended up around my ribcage????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

savage lifting lad!! when im using the belt for pulling i leave it a hole or 2 losser than normal...just a thought...

when are you squatting with the belt?? im interested to see how much you get from it.. i reckon 15-20kg

savage lifting lad!! when im using the belt for pulling i leave it a hole or 2 losser than normal...just a thought...

I tried that as well as wearing it high, wearing it low etc. I'll just have to find my ideal position.
    when are you squatting with the belt?? im interested to see how much you get from it.. i reckon 15-20kg

My 190 squat last week was in it. It felt pretty handy alright. I'm not far from 200kg with a bit of luck.

Gonna take Xmas as a deload which I drastically need then heading to Paris with wifey so plenty of rest ahead after this week. Can't wait!

excellent are you going doing any comps next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭corribdude

230 x 1 x 1 PR

BIG lift there, nice one, that's over 500lb!

excellent are you going doing any comps next year?

I will be yeah. No idea when exactly they're on, how to register etc but I'm really looking forward to it.

I see from your log you're looking at doing the same? I think the single lifts are on first? Feb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Fantastic deadlift dude, your setting yourself up well for next year.

corribdude wrote: »
    BIG lift there, nice one, that's over 500lb!

Yeah it's a pretty sweet milestone. Onwards and upwards!

• Advertisement

I will be yeah. No idea when exactly they're on, how to register etc but I'm really looking forward to it.

I see from your log you're looking at doing the same? I think the single lifts are on first? Feb?

Yip back in comp for first time in 2 years!! im going to do the bench in Feb and nationals in april i wont be any way compeditive for my weight class but i need the platform time and hey PB's are PB's. Single lifts are Feb 14th! you going to be there ya? whjat lifts you doing?

Excellent deadlifting Kev!! Judging by most of the "max" attempts I've seen you do, there must be another 10kg there!! ;)

Yip back in comp for first time in 2 years!! im going to do the bench in Feb and nationals in april i wont be any way compeditive for my weight class but i need the platform time and hey PB's are PB's. Single lifts are Feb 14th! you going to be there ya? whjat lifts you doing?

Yeah I'll be there. Was planning on doing all 3 at the single lifts, just for experience. What's the story do you need to pre-register or just turn up?

230kg x 1 deadlift. Jasus you're gonna be very strong you keep this up

turn up and register on the day... although handier if you register first

Wednesday 17/12/08 ME Upper

Flat Bench:

70kg x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    80 x 1 x 4
    90 x 1 x 3
    100 x 1 x 2
    110 x 1 x 1
    122.5 x 1 x 1
    132.5 x 1 x spotter deadlift
    142.5 x 1 spotter ACTUALLY caught the bar on the way down and pulled it up.
    142.5kg x 1 x miss Hanley arrives 5 mins too late to spot!

Pendlay Rows:
    90kg

Military Press:
    60kg

Chins

DC Curls
    40kg

What a feckin circus of a bench routine. Gym was empty and the two guys I got to spot knew not what they did. The second one was actually hilarious, I got up from it and there's Hanley grinning like a cheshire cat.

Thursday 18/12/08 RE Lower

Squat:
    60kg x 10
    60 x 10
    100 x 2
    135 x 18 1 rep better

Pull thrus:
    45kg (seated cable row machine)

Standing Ab Pulldowns:

One rep improvement on 135 20 rep attempt. Hanley said it looked good right up until I re-racked but it didn't feel it. Actually at the top of the 18th rep I had to get it back to the rack fast because there was no way I could stand never mind squat. Caught my finger inbetween the rack and the bar as a result. Spent the rest of the workout trying not to bleed on the equipment :o

Friday 19/12/08 RE Upper

Dumbbell Bench
    37.5kg
    x10

JM Press:
    45kg

Seated DB Power Cleans:
    12.5kg

Lat Pulldowns to nose:
    67.5kg

Reverse Preacher Curls:
    20kg Oly Bar

Right that's it, 2 week Xmas deaload. Turkey and Mince pies followed by trip to Paris with wifepants. God I need it I feel shattered.

Gonna use the time over Xmas to think about how I'm training. Westside has made a big difference for me but I can feel it starting to slow. Especially on the bench. The difference in numbers since 16/09/08:

THEN:
    Weight: 100kg
    Bench: 132.5kg
    Squat: 160kg
    Deadlift: 190kg

NOW:
    Weight:104kg
    Bench: 140kg
    Squat: 190kg
    Deadlift: 230kg

Really happy with the size gains also. Upper back is nice and solid and my thighs & glutes are much bigger and feel powerful in the lifts now.

Two things really forced this rethink, one was looking back through my log and realising the really big squat and deadlift increases came after I started incorporating 20 rep squats into my routine. This is not a "westside principle" but I think it may have been the difference. You can see this in the log with my struggle at 170 to my easy 190 7 weeks later, what happened in those 7 weeks? 20 reppers that's what.

Secondly I'm also a little sick of doing TONNES of assistance work. I miss doing the competition lifts often.

Rob Burkes thread here really pricked my ears up and I haven't stopped thinking about that type of program since (thanks Rob!).

Just thinking about pure balls to the wall powerlifting lift after lift day after day has me chomping at the bit!

The 20 rep experiment has me thinking lots of tough reps at the main lifts might result in better gains than my heavy singles followed by assistance lifts.

Any advice welcome or anyone's experience of programs that might satisfy my urge to squat, push and pull regularily that's not Sheiko... don't have the time!

142.5kg x 1 x miss Hanley arrives 5 mins too late to spot!

Just to clarify, I was there to spot that, it's not like he was left stranded under a bar :D:D
    Hanley said it looked good right up until I re-racked but it didn't feel it. Actually at the top of the 18th rep I had to get it back to the rack fast because there was no way I could stand never mind squat. Caught my finger inbetween the rack and the bar as a result. Spent the rest of the workout trying not to bleed on the equipment :o

Your chest was dropping on the 17th and 18th rep but other than that you looked good for LOADS more. Seriously. I was half thinking you could push to 25. Do yourself a favour, next time you're doing a 20 repper, video tape yourself and watch it back. You'll be amazed how smoothly the bar's moving even if you feel like death.

It's one of the best things I've done for my training. I used to give up on reps quite a lot when I hit sticking points, but when I started to watch them back on tape, the "sticking points" were actually just normal reps which had slowed down a bit. Now I know that if a rep takes less than 4 or 5 seconds, there's nearly always another one (or two) there!

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »

It's one of the best things I've done for my training. I used to give up on reps quite a lot when I hit sticking points, but when I started to watch them back on tape, the "sticking points" were actually just normal reps which had slowed down a bit. Now I know that if a rep takes less than 4 or 5 seconds, there's nearly always another one (or two) there!

Ya know what it was like? I just couldn't handle the weight on my back any longer. I didn't re-rack it because I didn't think the next rep would go. I just couldn't handle even standing under it any more!

Advertisement