Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Does my bum look big in this squat rack?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

If it was the bicep it could possibly be causing the pain in the forearm as well, since its connected below the elbow afaik? Hope it wasn't a stroke!

Very nice squatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Tuesday 21/10/08 ME Upper

Flat Bench:
    70kg x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    80kg x 1 x 4
    90kg x 1 x 3
    100kg x 1 x 2
    110kg x 1 x 1
    120kg x 1 x 1
    130kg x 1 x 1
    137.5kg x 1 x 1 PR
    132.5 kg x 2 x 1 return of the elbow pain

Chins:

Tricep Pushdowns:
    50kg x 5
    40kg x 5

T-Bar Rows:
    60kg (4 x 15kg plates)

People are gonna stop believing the PR's and start thinking I can really bench 150kg and am only doing this for the applause!:o

Really happy with the 137.5kg, kept my arch up, scaps squeezed and legs driving. Got the touch off my chest and went with good speed over those first few inches. No pause on this one!!

I've gotten really good at knowing how strong I am from workout to workout. What I mean is before I get under the bar I know how each weight is going to feel and what I'll need to do to make the lift. I don't want to miss any lifts but am confident I'll get the PR's I go for. For instance I won't be adding to the 170kg PR in the squat from last week when I go tonight, I feel I need to sink it a little deeper and try and come up better before trying 172.5kg next week.

If it was the bicep it could possibly be causing the pain in the forearm as well, since its connected below the elbow afaik? Hope it wasn't a stroke!

Very nice squatting.

Thanks man. Yeah I've had this pain before and I can feel some relief if I massage my bicep but also if I massage my forearm so who knows!. I don't know what's causing it but at least the pain didn't reappear until the end of the bench sets.

Very strange the way it affects my grip strength.

Wednesday 22/10/08 ME Lower

Squat:

90kg x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    100kg x 1 x 4
    110kg x 1 x 3
    130kg x 1 x 2
    150kg x 1 x 1
    160kg x 1 x 1
    170kg x 1 x 1
    160kg x 3 x 1

HS Leg Press:
    170kg

45degree hypers:
    15kg plate behind head

Roman Chair Stiff leg raises:

My the time I got 150kg in the squats my elbow was absolutely blown. Had this toothache-esque pain in it that actually had me doubled over. all the assistance work had to be as easy as possible on it, hence the lack of any ab pulldowns.

The 170kg was as deep as you like and came up good and strong.

Took my two RE days off and rested until Wednesday 29th because the elbow just wasn't going to heal without rest.

Wednesday 29/10/08 ME Upper

Flat Bench:
    80kg x 1 x 4
    90kg x 1 x 3
    100kg x 1 x 2
    110kg x 1 x 1
    120kg x 1 x 1
    130kg x 1 x 1
    140kg x 1 x 1 PR
    135kg x 1 x 1
    132.5kg x 2 x 1

Weighted Dips:
    25kg

T-Bar Rows: 1 min rest between sets
    60kg (4 x 15kg plates)

Barbell Bicep Curls: 1 min rest between sets (spent flexing, kissing my arms, adjusting my hair etc)
    17.5 kg DB's

So happy with that bench, It's a big monkey off my back to get to that milestone and now have all the time in the world just to keep adding to it.

Cheers to Hanley for his excellent hand off's (oo-er vicar) and plenty of swearing at me when it looked as though 140 was gonna stick. The weight stopped about 4 times on the way up and may even have dipped a little (making it a miss in comp rules) but I'm still delighted.

Props as well for lending me some wrist straps and then graciously donating me a pair of his old ones! Oh and congrats on the squatting, it's just not right seeing that kind of weight being repped like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Thats some impressive lift numbers kev!I don't know if it's the same but i had the same forearm/bicep pain your describing a while back.It was down to bad power clean technique.Hope it gets better anyway!

Thursday 30/10/08 ME Lower

Squat:
    90kg x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    100kg x 1 x 4
    120 x 1 x 3
    140kg x 1 x 2
    150kg x 1 x 1
    160kg x 1 x 1`
    172.5kg x 1 x 1 PR
    162.5kg x 3 x 1

Pull Thrus:
    80kg

Donkey Calf raise:
    180kg

Ab Pulldowns:
    105kg

Easy enough PR. I lost it forward at the bottom and the bar rolled a full rotation up my back in a nice spine pulverizing motion and I still came out of it which augers well for my strength if not my technique.

Pull thrus are the answer to my lower back prayers. Hypers really hurt me behind the knee I don't know why. These got me right across the lumbar area which was sweet

Friday 31/10/08 RE Upper

Ghoulish Close Grip Bench:
    70kg
    3 terrifying sets of 10 zombie reps

Seated Dumbell Haunted Power Cleans:
    15kg

Hammersmashedfacestrength Low Rows:
    70kg

Hammerstrength seated overhead death press:
    40kg

Followed by extensive shoulder rigor mortis.

Saturday 1/11/08 RE Lower

Squat:
    80kg x 8 (warm up set)
    115kg x 20

Sobbing:
    2 sets of 5 sniffles

Hamstring curls:
    40kg

Pull Thru's:
    80kg

Ab Pulldowns:
    105kg

Absolutely brutal workout. I hobbled out of the place. Had my mp3 player up to the last pumping Gojira into my brain and I could still hear my own screams reverberating around the place for the last 3 reps on the squats. Jesus those 20 rep sets are nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭daveywavey08

hahahaha "sobbing"

• Advertisement

Someone showing how the twenty reps are supposed to be, nice one. *lives vicariously through another's training log*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

kevpants wrote: »
    Friday 31/10/08 RE Upper

Ghoulish Close Grip Bench:
    70kg
    3 terrifying sets of 10 zombie reps

Seated Dumbell Haunted Power Cleans:
    15kg

Hammersmashedfacestrength Low Rows:
    70kg

Hammerstrength seated overhead death press:
    40kg

Followed by extensive shoulder rigor mortis.

Best journal entry I've ever seen. Seriously.

Good work on the 20 reppers too. They're pretty bloody evil. Especially at the start of your workout!

Really liking the 20 rep squats. I find it better to be able to get just one really intense set and then you're done rather than 3 - 5 sets of drawn out pain.

Unreal how much pain they produce though. The burning in my quads actually got worse when I was done and lay on the ground. Kinda like when you stub your toe and you've a few seconds where you don't think it's too bad then it just kicks in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

Hanley wrote: »
    Best journal entry I've ever seen. Seriously.

x2

Monday 03/11/08 ME Upper

Close grip Bench:
    80kg x 1 x 4
    90kg x 1 x 3
    100kg x 1 x 2
    110kg x 1 x 1
    120kg x 1 x 1
    130kg x 1 x spotter touched

T-Bar rows:
    75kg (5 x 15kg plates)

HS Seated Shoulder press:
    60kg

HS Pulldowns:
    70kg

OMFG I will never go to Total Fitness on a Monday evening ever again. I arrived at 7pm and didn't get a bench until 7:45pm! I had to cut things short and my head wasn't straight doing the close grips so it was a total write off. That was my first time going their on a Monday eve, I usually play a 5 a side, but never again.

To make matters worse I've been struck down with the Man-Flu since then and am only getting up to the Gym tonight for my 2nd day. So I need to do tonight tomorrow and Sunday which I hate doing. Damn sniffles.

Friday 07/11/08 ME Lower

Deadlift:
    120g x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    130kg x 1 x 4
    150kg x 1 x 3
    160kg x 1 x 2
    180kg x 1 x 1
    200kg x 1 x 1
    215kg x 1 x 1 PR
    205kg x 1 x 1
    200kg x 1 x 1
    195kg x 1 x 1

Oly Bar Lunges
    60kg
    x 20 (10 per leg)

Pull Thru's
    87.5kg
    With ropes
    With metal handle

Standing Ab Pulldowns
    105kg

Woo! Deadlifts just always feel like I can add 5kg to them every time. Confident of getting 220 in the next few weeks. Once I can get it off the floor I feel I'll be able to rep it out and 215 came off the floor nice and quick.

Savage going on those deadlifts. It's just going up and up!

I have to train on Monday in TF... and try to get a rack to do some front squats. Should be a horrible experience. I try to avoid it then too!

The single handle off the cable crossover's savage for doing pull thru's with. Grab it fully with one hand, and then grip over that hand with your other one. It works really well.

And ya gotta be close to hitting a set of 10 or 12 with the stack on those ab pulldowns now??

Savage going on those deadlifts. It's just going up and up!

I have to train on Monday in TF... and try to get a rack to do some front squats. Should be a horrible experience. I try to avoid it then too!

The single handle off the cable crossover's savage for doing pull thru's with. Grab it fully with one hand, and then grip over that hand with your other one. It works really well.

And ya gotta be close to hitting a set of 10 or 12 with the stack on those ab pulldowns now??

You'll get a squat rack easy enough hopefully, well none of these lads were squatting but admittedly there were a few curling marathons going on in them.

I've been using the metal handle you'd use for the T- Bar Rows, it's narrow enough to get between my thighs and the handles are wide enough apart not to catch my wedding vegetables on the pull thru :D

I'd be a bit away from the full stack yet. I mean look how the reps trail off, 105 wrecks me. I have to put two 15kg plates on my feet to stop myself getting pulled off the ground with them too.

Saturday 08/11/08 RE Upper

Flat Bench
    85kg

Weighted Dips
    30kg

Bicep Curls
    35kg EZ Curl bar

Seated DB Power Cleans:
    15kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ladowack

good log, one question
    me= max effort
    de= dynamic effort
    re=?

• Advertisement

ladowack wrote: »
    good log, one question
    me= max effort
    de= dynamic effort
    re=?

Repetition effort. There's no real need for dynamic (speed) work when for 1. I'm not lifting that heavy yet and 2. I lift raw.

The RE stuff is about adding muscle mass which I need more of to get strong. If I was already a huge fecker I wouldn't need it so much.

It's pretty much what De Franco has done with "Westside for Skinny Bastards".

Louie's changed things up in westside again recently too btw, dont know if you heard about it....?

With DeFranco RE has always stood for repition effort, but now there' a new RE on the block.

RE per Louie = Repeated Effort. Which has gradually come in to replace the DE work on squats. It's similar enough, 8x2ish, but istead of it being light, it's now heavier. Not too sure of percentages, but the emphasis no longer seems to be on increasing RFD, but being able to do repeated lifts with higher percentages more frequently...

Here's a vid on it; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4dTf8GXC-Q

It's all very confusing! Louie's commentary's at the end.

Why is their squat grip so wide?

Sunday 09/11/08 RE Lower

Squat:
    60kg x 8
    60kg x 8 (warm ups)
    120kg x 20

Hamstring Curls:
    40kg

Standing Calf raises:
    195kg

Standing Ab Pulldowns:
    105kg

I was reading about these 20 rep squat programs during the week and how you're only doing it right when a big part of your brain is telling you to stop when you get to 15. And how when you manage to get through it there is a tremendous sense of achievement. Well today was all of the above except replace "sense of achievement" with "taste of my dinner".

I'm enjoying pairing the 20 reppers with Westside while I can handle it, who knows maybe I'll sell books about it online to skinny dudes with Argos dumbells someday. Gotta get myself a "thing" like Rippetoe's Texan drawl to distinguish me. Any suggestions? I'm thinking "massive beard" or "coaches through sock puppets".

Louie's changed things up in westside again recently too btw, dont know if you heard about it....
    It's all very confusing! Louie's commentary's at the end.

Didn't know that. I have no idea what is going on in that video. How is it different to ME day? Just more reps?

TBH the more I hear from him the more he gives me bumpain. He never really seems to put into words what his philosophies are about, correction, he does but in a language known only to Louie. I suppose he doesn't have to back it up when he's running the 1000lb squat factory. Be nice to know what the fúck he's on about though.

Why is there squat grip so wide?

I THINK it's because when squatting that far above what a human frame should be able to support a wide grip allows you to get the bar as low down your back as possible without dislocating your shoulders/elbows due to the weight. The low bar position improves leverages meaning bigger numbers.

Disclaimer: This may be complete BS

Didn't know that. I have no idea what is going on in that video. How is it different to ME day? Just more reps?

It's getting similar to a second ME day by the looks of things alright. I think the main difference is the percentages are just a bit lower. From what I've heard a lot of advanced recovery enhancing drugs have been introduced to westside recently, GH, IGF-1, Insulin etc etc... Previously they'd just been mostly using the more common anabolics. From what I understand, the newer compounds, and training in equipment more often, is allowing them to train heavier more frequently and recover faster.
    TBH the more I hear from him the more he gives me bumpain. He never really seems to put into words what his philosophies are about, correction, he does but in a language known only to Louie. I suppose he doesn't have to back it up when he's running the 1000lb squat factory. Be nice to know what the fúck he's on about though.

Tbh, the more I hear him talk, the more I think he's full of sh!t. I can't help but dislike and distrust anyone who speaks in absolute certainties, and how their way is the only way, like Louie.
    I THINK it's because when squatting that far above what a human frame should be able to support a wide grip allows you to get the bar as low down your back as possible without dislocating your shoulders/elbows due to the weight. The low bar position improves leverages meaning bigger numbers.

Disclaimer: This may be complete BS

It's true...ish. It is important to get it as low down as possible, especially with multi ply lifting. Truth is, most super heavyweights just aren't flexible enough to get there hands in close. They're either too thick, or just too damn cumbersome.

Check out Malanichev dunking 970lg in a walked out single ply squat, with his hands damn near touching his shoulders!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqV8_HS-4qg&feature=related

Sunday 09/11/08 RE Lower

Squat:
    60kg x 8
    60kg x 8 (warm ups)
    120kg x 20

That's just disgustingly sick. You're getting SO close to me now. And you're doing it without a belt too.

SERIOUS respect.

That's just disgustingly sick. You're getting SO close to me now. And you're doing it without a belt too.

SERIOUS respect.

Thanks a lot. The 20 reps are really all in the head aren't they! I mean the pain by 12-15 is unreal but somehow if you just keep dropping down you can just about push back up. The screams of me on this and I'm not very vocal when I'm trying to push myself, you've seen the difference between us. You verbally psyche yourself up I just go quiet. I called myself every name under the sun in that mirror yesterday though.

I think that change to Westside really puts the nail in the coffin of people trying to do it drug free and follow it to the letter, that's just not feasible. I mean Louie was always saying how easy it was to overwork the CNS and stall. How the fúck does he explain this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

120kg x 20

Fcuk you. I was so frickin happy to get 120 x 1 last week. Baxstard.

But kudos really :D

Advertisement