Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Does my bum look big in this squat rack?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

You Olympic lifters crack me up!

Your 120 came from nowhere though. You did a 105 the week before then just decided to actually break sweat and were like "Hey whaddayaknow I'm a powerhouse!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

kevpants wrote: »
    Thanks a lot. The 20 reps are really all in the head aren't they! I mean the pain by 12-15 is unreal but somehow if you just keep dropping down you can just about push back up. The screams of me on this and I'm not very vocal when I'm trying to push myself, you've seen the difference between us. You verbally psyche yourself up I just go quiet. I called myself every name under the sun in that mirror yesterday though.

I think that change to Westside really puts the nail in the coffin of people trying to do it drug free and follow it to the letter, that's just not feasible. I mean Louie was always saying how easy it was to overwork the CNS and stall. How the fúck does he explain this?

Haha yah true story. I've a feeling my attempt at 20 on Sunday's gonna be UG-LY!

I dunno what Louie's game is really. I reckon it could be because they're using circa max phases a lot more often now. Traditionally they seemed to do this on DE day and then go to ME later in the week two. With the band tension those guys are using I don't think it was working too well, recovery was being killed. So I would guess they mighta just switched circa max to their ME day and started to go heavier on DE day to compensate. All total guesses and could be miles off tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The best I've ever squatted is 120x2-freaking awesome squatting. Vids dude?

The best I've ever squatted is 120x2-freaking awesome squatting. Vids dude?

Yeah must start videoing for the sake of form critique over anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭daveywavey08

You think you're so great with your 120 x 20 you douchebag, aaaahhh I mean nice one :p

• Advertisement

Wednesday 12/11/08 ME Upper

Close grip Bench (both hands on smooth):
    75kg x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    80kg x 1 x 4
    90kg x 1 x 3
    100kg x 1 x 2
    110kg x 1 x 1
    120kg x 1 x 1
    130 x 1 x spotter touch
    127.5kg x 1 x spectacular fail
    120kg x 1 x 1

DB Floor Presses
    32.5kg DB's

Rolling DB Tri Extensions:
    15kg DB's
    x 4 + miss

HS Seated Press
    60kg

Well that didn't go well!

Had an inexperienced spotter on the 130kg attempt who rested his two hands under the bar as soon as it slowed when I was trying to grind it out. I know it isn't as if he's trying to fúck things up but it just completely nullifies that attempt.

I got STAPLED to the bench by the 127.5kg attempt. Really didn't bring it down under control, let my elbows go out and I was gone.

I have a theory for next week on the close grip, I think my close grip strength gets fatigued much faster than my flat or incline so I'm going to take it much easier and just do enough sets to be warm when attempting 130 next week. The first 120 above felt really strong but I think I peaked with it.

Thursday 13/11/08 ME Lower

Deadlift:

120 x 1 x 5
    140 x 1 x 4
    160 x 1 x 3
    180 x 1 x 2
    200 x 1 x 1
    220 x 1 x 1 PR
    210 x 1 x 1 Much harder lift than the 220
    200 x 1 x 1

Lunges:
    70kg Oly bar
    x 18 (9per leg)

Good Mornings:
    80kg

Standing Ab Pulldowns:
    105kg

Looks like God gave me stumpy little legs for a reason. Deadlifts just seem to suit me. Vids below

180 x 2

200 x 1

220 x 1

I look like a bit of a sexual predator at the end of the last one.

I also think I'm ready for the full stack on the Ab Pulldowns!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Nice lifting and I like the reaction after the 220 kg dead - always good to see a PR followed by a little celebration :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Lol @ celebration. Nice lifting :pac:

Thirded the lolz. Quality deads man. (wish I had stumpy legs :( )

• Advertisement

Put some weight on the bar!!! They were far too controlled and easy looking to be max attempts.

Seriously good going. You'd put up a nice total now.

180/140/220 right now, probably 195-200/145/240 in march/april if you decided to give it a go!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Is that mark on your right shin (3-5 seconds into the 220kg lift) from the bar scraping up your leg?

It is funny seeing the guy standing behind you viewing the little celebration.

BossArky wrote: »
    Is that mark on your right shin (3-5 seconds into the 220kg lift) from the bar scraping up your leg?

Not originally. It's a 5 aside kick I got but I keep ripping the scab off with the bar when I'm deadlifting and it won't heal.

You could try wearing long socks for a few weeks (and a belt, get you ready for competition :pac: )

Friday 14/11/08 RE Upper

Hammer Strength Bench:
    100kg

HammerStrength LoRo
    90kg

Wide Neutral Grip Lat Pulldowns:
    75kg

Preacher Curl Machine:
    25kg
    15kg

Decided to change me RE exerc ise to the Hammerstrength just for a change.

Squat update... c'mon. I've been dying to hear how it went!

Saturday 15/11/08 RE Lower

Squat:
    60kg x 8
    60kg x 8
    125kg x 20

Pull Thrus:
    87.5kg +5kg plate (your trick works on the cable crossover too Hanley)

Standing Ab Pulldowns:
    112.5kg (full stack)

Vid of the squats:

Funnily wasn't as tough as last weeks, must have just had more energy.

THAT'S THE FCUKING STUFF!!

Seriously SICK squatting there. They looked sooooo easy!! I know from doing them that 20 reppers never feel easy, and it always feel like the next rep's a gamble, but you looked good for a **** ton more. I kid you not when I say 140 x20 there's for you be the year end.

And everyone, please take note, Kev has 20 rep'd more than me now. We did the same weight, but he did it beltless and at a lighter bodyweight.

Serious respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ladowack

Great squatting Kev, you should be fit for a 200 if not 205kg squat with a belt. you'd have the same total as me but i'm heavier, your seriously ate'in into the training, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Hey Kev, just stopping by after someone put me onto this in the motivation thread. First off congrats on the log - your videos are inspiring!

I was just wondering what you make of doing the high-rep squats? I've been trying to follow the Starting Strength programme, have kind of hit a lull, and am looking for ideas on how to shake my training up a bit in the new year.

Also, what are your thoughts on mixing up the max effort and repetitive effort?

Thanks
    Neal

• Advertisement

joker77 wrote: »
    Hey Kev, just stopping by after someone put me onto this in the motivation thread. First off congrats on the log - your videos are inspiring!

I was just wondering what you make of doing the high-rep squats? I've been trying to follow the Starting Strength programme, have kind of hit a lull, and am looking for ideas on how to shake my training up a bit in the new year.

Also, what are your thoughts on mixing up the max effort and repetitive effort?

Thanks
    Neal

Thanks man.

As you can see I only started the 20 reppers a month ago. It's kinda my Repetitive effort now. I'm doing them to try an add mass to my legs which are my body-shape's weak point so I need it. Also they're great to get you used to grinding out tough reps, the last 5 reps all feel like I'm lifting my 1RM. I'd highly recommend them.

I don't really get the second question. Are you asking why I do the routine I do?

If so the Max effort is about putting my body under the max load it can take and getting stronger as a result and the Rep effort is about building some muscle to get stronger with. The clay to mould the statue if you like.

You're getting everyone onto the high rep squats now....

i was actually talking to a couple of the lads in Hercs and we wre saying how great high (10-12) reps were because as you get to reps 8 and 9 you really have to grind them out, but they're light enough that you can. Whereas you couldn't really grind out reps 3, 4 and 5 on a 5 repper ya know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Thanks for the info Kev. Question to you both - what % of say a 5x5 should you be looking at going for 12 reps? roughly - I know it's not an exact science!!

On the 2nd question, yea I'm not all that familiar with different routines to use. I started a while ago on the Starting Strength - was following it pretty well, but have slackened off a bit - the weight I was lifting then started to go backwards rather than forwards so I needed a break.
    I'll be hitting a lot more cardio over the next few weeks, but come mid-Feb I'll be looking to put on some muscle. I suppose I was just wondering how you were finding your own RE/ME programme? I've never really seen one like it, the mixing it up like that

Hanley wrote: »
    You're getting everyone onto the high rep squats now....

i was actually talking to a couple of the lads in Hercs and we wre saying how great high (10-12) reps were because as you get to reps 8 and 9 you really have to grind them out, but they're light enough that you can. Whereas you couldn't really grind out reps 3, 4 and 5 on a 5 repper ya know?

Yeah it feels great get so many grinders in one set. Like you said it's really only rep 5 in a set of 5 that makes you think you have to give it all just to get up.

joker77 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Kev. Question to you both - what % of say a 5x5 should you be looking at going for 12 reps? roughly - I know it's not an exact science!!

On the 2nd question, yea I'm not all that familiar with different routines to use. I started a while ago on the Starting Strength - was following it pretty well, but have slackened off a bit - the weight I was lifting then started to go backwards rather than forwards so I needed a break.
    I'll be hitting a lot more cardio over the next few weeks, but come mid-Feb I'll be looking to put on some muscle. I suppose I was just wondering how you were finding your own RE/ME programme? I've never really seen one like it, the mixing it up like that

The % would be different for the bench, squat and deadlift. I presume you'd be talking about the squat? For one 12 rep set you'd proabably want 70 - 75 % anyway. Maybe more if you're only doing one set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭daveywavey08

Yeah maybe these high rep squats are the way to go

Thursday 20/11/08 ME Upper

MAN FLU!!!!!!

Close grip bench
    70 x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    80 x 1 x 4
    100 x 1 x 2
    120 x 1 x 1
    130 x 1 x Miss
    122.5 x 1 x 1 Grinder

Pendlay Rows:
    70kg

JM Press
    40kg

Lat Pulldowns:
    75kg

So I missed 130 3 weeks in a row. Truth be told I shouldn't have gone for it while running a temperature and a cold sweat but I was perilously close. The 122.5kg lift was epic. I nabbed an experienced spotter who didn't take the bar off me even though from chest touch to lock out I'd say it was 10 seconds. Really got something from this workout when I could easily have been at home feeling sorry for myself drinking Lemsip.

Friday 21/11/08 ME Lower

Still have a cold

Deadlift
    120 x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    140 x 1 x 4
    160 x 1 x 3
    185 x 1 x 2
    205 x 1 x 1
    225 x 1 x 1 PR
    210 x 1 x 1
    200 x 1 x 1

Hack Squat Machine:
    100kg x 5 Holy crap that was heavy
    80kg

Good Mornings:
    102kg (picky picky)

Ab Pulldowns
    112.5kg

Great to get the pull up again. It just keeps moving for me. It is definitely belt time though I'm not feeling it in my lower back an injury would be disaster after making so much progress.

Never used a Hack Squat machine before. Loaded it up with 100kg thinking it would be similar to the leg press and nearly got nailed! I was saying to myself I'll add weight if I can do more than 15!!!! Some chance!

The "picky picky" is because TF has a few bars that are 22kg and really thick. They're muck, but I had no choice as the gym was fairly busy.

Nice work on the deads man, be interesting to see how things progress belted, might get a few extra kilos. Whats a hack squat machine look like? I tried doing them with a smith before but found it awkward as ****-maybe it was me that was awkward though...

• Advertisement

kevpants wrote: »
    Weighted dips are one of my faves. I have one of these

Spud-Dip-Belt.jpg

Did you get that online from www.liftinglarge.com? How much?

I presume a dip belt is exactly the same as a pull up belt? I'm thinking about getting one cos there is only a certain amount of dumbbell weight I can hold between my ankles.

edit - found it on there for 40 usd. How do you tighten it?

Advertisement