Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does my bum look big in this squat rack?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

big congrats - mine's 13months now. We give her probiotics in all the bottles and use the easy digest formula thats whey based by aptamil if thats any use - all the others had sh1te ingredients in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Too few people recognise the role of the father in conception... high five, nice job.

Don't know if you can see this
    5256_123701376358_682771358_2512105_6148153_n.jpg
    Impossible is nothing and all that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Hanley how in the name of jesus did you find those vids?

Thanks for the advice Transform, I'll add it to the enormous amount of info I'm trying to absorb!

Roper- That is sheer class. If you could perfect your kipping you might be able to rock him to sleep too.

Tue Oct 6 C8W1 Squat

75% 135 x 5
    80% 145 x 5
    85% 152.5 x 5

Leg Press:
    200kg
    5 sets of 10. 60 seconds rest between sets.

Podge's barbell crunches (Incline!!)
    22kg bar
    x12
    x8 CRRRRRRAMP!
    x6

Tried the ab crunches as spelled out in podges log. That youngfella is seriously on my tail so I had to make myself feel better by adding the incline element!!!

Seriously good movement, hence the cramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

ha, those situps are now one of my fav exercises

havent had the pleasure of cramping up yet

im also interested to see how both your coan routines turn out, it seems to be pretty popular

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Those sit-ups look absolutely fcuking EVIL. Another tool to add to my arsenal I think.

That might become my Monday ab exercise.

Where did you do em Kev??

Roper wrote: »
    Too few people recognise the role of the father in conception... high five, nice job.

Don't know if you can see this
    5256_123701376358_682771358_2512105_6148153_n.jpg
    Impossible is nothing and all that :)
    man that photo kicks ass!!

Really inspiring stuff

Hanley wrote: »
    Those sit-ups look absolutely fcuking EVIL. Another tool to add to my arsenal I think.

That might become my Monday ab exercise.

Where did you do em Kev??

Decline bench. You can rack the bar and all before and after set. Really nooiice.

Wed 07/10/09 Bench C8W1

75% 97.5 x 5
    80% 105 x 5
    85% 110 x 5

90kg bench
    x13
    x6 (straps exploded off wrists due to velcro being fecked)
    x5 (straps gone again)

TF Tricep Machine
    35kg
    50 reps

BW Dips
    40 reps

Defranco shoulder routine:

15kg plate raise
    7kg DB side raise & power clean 1/2 press
    3 circuits

Hammer Strength seated shoulder press 40kg
    40 reps

Pump.

Took it easy on the bench and just hit my 5 reps to preserve my CNS for my Friday Coan Deadlifting. Since I'm resting my CNS I decided to break down as much muscle fibre as I could for areas I want to just add some bulk to, triceps and delts.

Friday 9/10/09 Coan Deadlifting Week 2

Deadlift (80%): 1x2 @ 212.5 kg
    Speed deadlift (65%): 8x3 @ 172.5 kg (90 sec rest b/w sets)
    3 circuits (rest 60sec between exercises, 2-3 minutes between circuits):
    Stiff-leg deadlift: 8 reps 110kg
    Bent over row: 8 reps 50kg
    Underhand (reverse) grip lat pulldown: 8 reps 67.5kg
    Arched back good morning: 8 reps 72.5kg

Didn't do any abs or anything as I was pressed for time as usual.

Loving this Friday pullathon. In this session I deadlifted a bar from the floor of some description 71 times including warmups etc. Great stuff.

I don't have a lot to be big headed about as far as this all goes but I'm really proud of my grip. I just never come close to dropping a bar at any weight I've ever attempted. My hands don't get torn up or cut either. Rest of me's a mess though.

• Advertisement

Mon 12/10/09 Squat 5/3/1 C8w2

80% 145 x 3
    85% 152.5 x 3
    90% 162.5 x 3

Leg Press:
    210kg
    3 sets of 10

Leg extension
    50kg
    40 reps

Ab rollouts:
    Loads

Shovel deadlifts:
    15kg
    x10
    x8
    per side

Nice and easy session. The 3 reps at 162 were really snappy, maybe the high volume deadlifting will give me squat carryover.

Wed 14/10/09 531 bench c8w2

80% 105 x 3
    85% 110 x 3
    90% 117.5 x 3

90kg bench
    x14
    x10
    x5
    x4

DB Flys
    15kg dbs
    40 reps

De Franco shoulder circuit
    15kg plate front raise x 8
    8kg side raise x 8
    8kg powerclean +1/2 press x 8
    3 circuits

Hammerstrength seated shoulder press:
    40kg
    50reps

Thought for the day, ever notice Robbie Keane runs like he's legging it from the cops? His running style I mean. Steven Gerrard's the same.

kevpants wrote: »
    Thought for the day, ever notice Robbie Keane runs like he's legging it from the cops? His running style I mean. Steven Gerrard's the same.

I have a theory..

And seriously on the 90kg bench, 14,10,5,4.. WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Wed 14/10/09 531 bench c8w2

80% 105 x 3
    85% 110 x 3
    90% 117.5 x 3

very nice benching there.

one point though, on the last set, are you going all out?
    if you;re on a week 2, then 3 are the prescribed reps and one would normally try to go beyond three reps.

if you;re on a week 2, then 3 are the prescribed reps and one would normally try to go beyond three reps.

You're not telling Kev how to run 5/3/1 are ya?

You're not telling Kev how to run 5/3/1 are ya?

No.
    I'm asking a question.
    i can see he's on cycle 8 and that he knows what the programme entails.
    I'm simply asking if it was his intention to stop at 3 reps on the work set of a week 2 in the bench.
    It only occurred to me as he did 3 reps on week 2 of the squat as well and i;m just wondering if there;s a reason for it.

No.
    I'm asking a question.
    i can see he's on cycle 8 and that he knows what the programme entails.
    I'm simply asking if it was his intention to stop at 3 reps on the work set of a week 2 in the bench.
    It only occurred to me as he did 3 reps on week 2 of the squat as well and i;m just wondering if there;s a reason for it.

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing it's cos he's being a total copycat and running Coan-Phillipi for his dead!

I have a theory..

And seriously on the 90kg bench, 14,10,5,4.. WTF?

Hi I'm Kev, nice to meet you. I'm an erratic bencher.

There was a significant chat between set 1 and 2 which probably inflated set 2. I tried to keep the rest periods down for set 3 and 4.

You're spot on Liam. Like Hanley said I'm basically preserving my CNS from going near failure on any heavy compund lift bar the deadlift while I'm running the 10 week deadlift program. My bench night is now just really a hypertrophy theme night. You'll probably notice I've dropped Military press altogether just for the 10 week block.

Fri 16/10/09 Coan Deadlift Week 3

Deadlift (85%): 1x2 @ 225 kg
    Speed deadlift (70%): 6x3 @ 185 kg (90sec rest b/w sets)
    3 circuits (rest 60sec between exercises, 2 minutes between circuits):
    Stiff-leg deadlift: 8 reps @110kg
    Bent over row: 8 reps @60kg
    Underhand (reverse) grip lat pulldown: 8 reps @67.5kg
    Arched back good morning: 8 reps @82.5kg

No drama with the 225kg for 2.

I had the ultimate recovery meal on Saturday night after my Friday Coan session. Mizzoni Family Deal, 16.5 inch pizza, 2 snack box containers full of chips, 8 chicken dippers, a litre of Snickers Ice Cream and 1.5l of diet coke.... €28

I was good enough to share some of the chips and pizza with my wife but I had all the dippers. Get that into the stickies.

Being an expectant father means I'm spending an ever increasing amount of time in places like Mothercare. They have these jeans that look like regular jeans but instead of a button at the waist they have a piece of elastic, some have an elastic band that comes right up to your chest! Why haven't I been informed and why don't they make them for men?

Tearing thru it bro. What's up next week?

• Advertisement

Tearing thru it bro. What's up next week?

I don't want to talk about it :o

237.5kg for 2. I'm already nervous thinking about it, it definitely feels possible after this week. As usual with me the pulls weren't quick but there was no drama at any point. the second rep at 237.5 is gonna be a griiiinder. Love the ache in the entire back half of your body this gives you for 3 days after.

Can't believe the amount of extra work squatting and benching you're doing. If you can keep it up I'll have to take my hat off to you. And crossfit stuff on top!

I don't want to talk about it :o

237.5kg for 2. I'm already nervous thinking about it, it definitely feels possible after this week. As usual with me the pulls weren't quick but there was no drama at any point. the second rep at 237.5 is gonna be a griiiinder. Love the ache in the entire back half of your body this gives you for 3 days after.

Can't believe the amount of extra work squatting and benching you're doing. If you can keep it up I'll have to take my hat off to you. And crossfit stuff on top!

I'm excited about next week... felt so good after this week I'm dying to give it a shot now cos it'd be a HUGE convo PR.

I didn't really get that ache too badly... got it for maybe a day afterwards, and then decided band squats would be a great idea nad the pain came back twentyfold in about 3 sets :s

I see no reason why I can't keep doing all that stuff... and still be on a kcal deficit as well :P Like the fact I'd a strong bench performance today is really encouraging, esp after I thought I broke myself yesterday.

Gonna do a max set of pull ups, some scap work, rows, gunzzz and an 85ish% Fran tomorrow, take Tuesday off and go after it on Wedensday. You can tell how much it means to me because I'm taking a day off. That never normally happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

you still pulling sumo kev? god luk with he c-p btw.

you still pulling sumo kev? god luk with he c-p btw.

Nope. Back to conventional and really feeling the benefits of pulling sumo those few months. I'll spend a few weeks a year pulling sumo just to give the lower back a rest and fire up the glutes and hams. The bar is really springing off the floor thanks to them.

Might push the squats a bit tonight and drop the accessory stuff. Have a hankering for some squattin.

Mon 19/10/09 5/3/1 Squat C8W3

135 x 5
    152.5 x 3
    170 x 5

Volume accessory squatting:
    150kg
    9 sets of 3

I'm so sick of holding back on squatting. I've decided from here on in to stick with 5/3/1 as a Max Effort type base to try and PR on week to week but to follow on with multiple sets ofheavy doubles and triples. I really need to try and throw some volume at my squat now. I've only ever trainined high intensity/low volume with Westside followed by 5/3/1. We'll see how it goes.

Tonight was really about finding what rep ranges and what set multiples will suit, I'm going to work this out myself rather than base it on a book or program. I'm thinking next week maybe 12 or 13 sets of 2 with 170 would be in order.

My Wednesday benching will be taken very easy to make sure I have something in the tank for Friday deadlifting.

nice work on the squats. 170kg x 5 is impressive.
    Interesting idea about the high volume of doubles and triples.

I'm doing the triumverate 5/3/1 except when i do squats, i do the big but boring accessory work, i.e. 5 sets of 10 with about 60% of my 1rm and 3 min rest between sets and i've been adding 2.5kg each week and up to 5 x 10 with 92.5kg now. fairly happy with the volume that gives as that'd normally translate into 8 sets of squats with about 85-90 reps

I had a look at the Coan/Phillipi programme and did out an excel sheet. definitely one for the future.

nice work on the squats. 170kg x 5 is impressive.
    Interesting idea about the high volume of doubles and triples.

I'm doing the triumverate 5/3/1 except when i do squats, i do the big but boring accessory work, i.e. 5 sets of 10 with about 60% of my 1rm and 3 min rest between sets and i've been adding 2.5kg each week and up to 5 x 10 with 92.5kg now. fairly happy with the volume that gives as that'd normally translate into 8 sets of squats with about 85-90 reps

I hit 170 for 6 when I was a fatty so still a little bit off my game squat wise.

The boring but big stuff was ok but the problem is there just isn't enough weight on my back. I want to spend an hour on monday with 150kg+ on my back all the time.

Like I'm so un-used to it now the first triple with 150kg felt like considerable weight on my back, by the end it felt lighter. Even on the 170kg set I was more tired at the top just supporting the weight than I was out of the bottom. I'm pretty sure I've got the squat power to break PR's between now and Xmas if I can get used to supporting the bar again.

I hit 170 for 6 when I was a fatty so still a little bit off my game squat wise.

You easily would got another rep or two yesterday like....

Mon 19/10/09 5/3/1 Squat C8W3

135 x 5
    152.5 x 3
    170 x 5

Volume accessory squatting:
    150kg
    9 sets of 3

I'm so sick of holding back on squatting. I've decided from here on in to stick with 5/3/1 as a Max Effort type base to try and PR on week to week but to follow on with multiple sets ofheavy doubles and triples. I really need to try and throw some volume at my squat now. I've only ever trainined high intensity/low volume with Westside followed by 5/3/1. We'll see how it goes.

Tonight was really about finding what rep ranges and what set multiples will suit, I'm going to work this out myself rather than base it on a book or program. I'm thinking next week maybe 12 or 13 sets of 2 with 170 would be in order.

My Wednesday benching will be taken very easy to make sure I have something in the tank for Friday deadlifting.
    man thats some serious squatting - fair play and keep up the great work

• Advertisement

Wed 21/10/09 531 Bench and Military Press C8W3

Bench:
    75% 97.5 x 5
    85% 110 x 3
    90% 122.5 x 4

Military Press:
    75% 52.5 x 5
    85% 60 x 3
    95% 67.5 x 7

90kg Bench:
    x12
    x5
    x4
    x4
    x4

Pec Flys:
    100 reps with 10kg bells

Defranco Shoulders
    15kg plate
    8kg DB
    x3 circuits

Tricep killer:
    20kg EZ Curl Bar & 22.5kg DB Floor press
    55 reps with no rest between exercises

Gonna combine shoulder & bench 531 on Wed instead of leaving it out.

This was hypertrorific.

Advertisement