Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

marno21 wrote: »
    The M11/N11 project was born in 2018 and is already ahead of this one.

Which part? HQDC to Rosslare? Did I miss something?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Geogregor wrote: »
    Which part? HQDC to Rosslare? Did I miss something?
    Upgrading the N11 between J4 and J14, widening/junction closures/junction improvements/access closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Que people doing uturns to make the junction work for them.

I give it 6 months before someone is seriously injured or worse as a result of an impatient local doing a u-turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Que people doing uturns to make the junction work for them.

well if we are to beleive that the road is mostly used to access the school in Whitechurch, there won't be a need them to do Uturns. there are turnings for Whitechurch both north and south of the junction. SOuthbound traffic on the N20 can safely turn in the junction just south, leaving only people wanting to turn right on to the N20, hopefully few of them

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Opening again as a LILO.

In other news, no sign of any progress on the tender award for Phases 1-4 of this. It's now 27 months since this project was reactivated and it still hasn't actually started Phases 1-4 yet. The M11/N11 project was born in 2018 and is already ahead of this one.

I understand this is imminent, tenders were submitted early December.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Kevwoody wrote: »
    I give it 6 months before someone is seriously injured or worse as a result of an impatient local doing a u-turn.

You'll get the 'boy racers' doing a bit of drifting around it late at night while doing the said U-Turn no doubt.

Many a time i have seen 'doughnut' marks left behind with the road as it is, the L.I.L.O will be a magnet for this. The illegal U-Turns already occur on the Commons Road at the Circle-K petrol station next to McDonalds which operates the same system, the parents of 2 young men who were killed in a motorcycle crash circa 2002 lobbied for this to be done and Joe O'Callaghan supported it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Leo Varadkar stated in the Dail today that he believes the M20 will be a PPP

https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2019-01-29a.240

Given there is €900m of exchequer funding sanctioned for it in the NDP, it'll be interesting to see how this runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

Accident last night at Rathduff. I was travelling southbound at approx 7PM and both north and southbound was at a standstill - there must have been 5km plus tailbacks both ways. I was stuck there for 90 minutes, and there were definitely others there for a lot longer. No idea why the guards couldnt free up one lane. Eventually when passing, the accident had been cleared and there wasn't a squad car or guard in sight. I was at boiling point at that stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭norabattie

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    Accident last night at Rathduff. I was travelling southbound at approx 7PM and both north and southbound was at a standstill - there must have been 5km plus tailbacks both ways. I was stuck there for 90 minutes, and there were definitely others there for a lot longer. No idea why the guards couldnt free up one lane. Eventually when passing, the accident had been cleared and there wasn't a squad car or guard in sight. I was at boiling point at that stage!

Took me 2 hrs 45 to get from Mahon to Mallow last night. Absolutely ridiculous :mad:

plenty of rat runs to get round that... well worth checking them out for next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Friend at work took 3 1/2 hours to get from Cork to Mallow last night. Ratruns are great and all, but not in the snow like we had yesterday in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Consulants informed of winning tenderer for Phases 1 to 4 subject to Alcatel period

Consulants informed of winning tenderer for Phases 1 to 4 subject to Alcatel period
    Wrong thread? Should this be the M20 rather than the M28?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Wrong thread? Should this be the M20 rather than the M28?
    Yes Bloody phone!

As per posts above moved from M28 thread, consultants appointed now for Phases 1-4.

For reference, here are some similar timescales for Phases 1-4 for other schemes

M21 Limerick-Foynes, appointed April 2014, ABP submission due Q2 2019
    M6 Galway City Ring Road, appointed November 2013, ABP submission November 2018
    M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy, appointed November 2013, ABP submission May 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭pajoguy

As per posts above moved from M28 thread, consultants appointed now for Phases 1-4.

For reference, here are some similar timescales for Phases 1-4 for other schemes

4 to 5 years seems an incredibly long time. They should be shortening the route corridor options timescales.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It is really disgraceful the amount of time it takes a project to get off the ground in this country. :(

The government won't mind having to cover their asses over the criminal cost a children's hospital (the most expensive in the world - ever) - guess where that cost is going to be off-set?

This road won't be built before 2035 in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Leo & gang are awaiting the next recession to shelve the project again probably.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Recession probably interfered with those dates.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Recession probably interfered with those dates.

I think that excuse has run its course now. This carry on is still ongoing this year.

There's no problem finding €2bn to plug overruns or capital cost balloons in the Department of Health but a few million for road planning is out of the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

I think that excuse has run its course now. This carry on is still ongoing this year.

There's no problem finding €2bn to plug overruns or capital cost balloons in the Department of Health but a few million for road planning is out of the question.

yes ,a few million between 2014 and 2018 and the n20 would be started now and could have followed on from the n17/n18 ,a big gap with no major road projects is not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭prunudo

According to Leo, part of the reason of the over run is because so many construction workers are currently tied up building all the new roads in country.
    Source was a clip from an interview he did for rte yesterday.

I believe work started yesterday at re-opening the Waterloo junction. Certainly the cones were out on Sunday and Plant was arriving

Isambard wrote:
    I believe work started yesterday at re-opening the Waterloo junction. Certainly the cones were out on Sunday and Plant was arriving

That's right, stop/go was in place all day yesterday and they were replacing the drainage on the mainline each side of the junction.

Will be very interesting in seeing how a left in/left out is going to work in the long term.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    That's right, stop/go was in place all day yesterday and they were replacing the drainage on the mainline each side of the junction.

Will be very interesting in seeing how a left in/left out is going to work in the long term.

yes I saw drainage pipes. I assume they plan a much better laid out deceleration/acceleration layout.

Isambard wrote: »
    yes I saw drainage pipes. I assume they plan a much better laid out deceleration/acceleration layout.
    I'd imagine it'll be designed to 2019 standards so should be a lot safer.

Hopefully an acceleration lane with plastic bollards to stop people making elongated right turns. There is a road north of the Waterloo turn off to get to Whitechurch.

It's only a temporary fix until the M20 is built anyway.

marno21 wrote:
    Hopefully an acceleration lane with plastic bollards to stop people making elongated right turns. There is a road north of the Waterloo turn off to get to Whitechurch.

The drainage pipes were being installed tight to the hard shoulder meaning it's not being widened, I don't think it's wide enough to provide an acceleration lane with bollards.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazzer007

At least funding for the m20 hasn't been reduced in today's announcement to make up for the shortfall to build the children's hospital. Both the Taoiseach and Tanaiste expressed their commitment to push the m20 project. Let's hope they keep their word.

https://www.thejournal.ie/nch-health-projects-delayed-4487899-Feb2019/

my view of putting drainage pipes in must be that they are widening the carriageway, otherwise wouldn't they just put it back as it was?

Access from Waterloo to the school in Whitechurch and back perfectly easy via two roads within a couple of hundred metres. It's visitors to/from Blarney likely to be the problem, especially if they have out of date satnav.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote:
    my view of putting drainage pipes in must be that they are widening the carriageway, otherwise wouldn't they just put it back as it was?

The drainage pipes are being covered in stone up to the level of the hard shoulder, to catch run off water. So they wouldn't be tarmacing over the gravel.
    It's possible it may be wide enough for an acceleration lane, but there's no provision for them on say a 2+1, so I doubt they'll install one here.
    So it'll go back to square one, locals totally ignoring the Stop sign and sailing on out into the hard shoulder and forcing their way into traffic. Only difference will be the people who will be sitting trying to do a U-turn.
    Junction should have been permanently closed.

Advertisement