Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

GoneHome wrote: »
    I have to say the new roundabout layout at Annabella, Mallow, is a huge improvement, especially with traffic coming from Cork during evening rush-hour.
    I would agree.

Mallow's biggest bottleneck now is the N20 Plaza, with queues forming at peak times because there's no filter lane to turn right southbound. Could do with removing the layby across the road and installing a filter lane to solve the issues as it's very busy.

The layby can be accomodated elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

marno21 wrote: »
    Mallow's biggest bottleneck now is the N20 Plaza

Absolutely, it's an awful bottleneck and at times downright dangerous especially in the mornings with traffic trying to exit heading towards Mallow. Rathduff is also becoming somewhat of a bottleneck in the evenings, traffic coming to a complete standstill the last few weeks from well below the beginning of the overtaking lane on the Cork side for no apparent reason.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I assumed they'd done something slightly more than rebranding that roadside Topaz to become the Mallow Plaza; like maybe building an actual new "MSA" equivalent.

The photos on their facebook page suggest they didn't.

That really is quite pathetic for all the marketing it got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

L1011 wrote: »
    I assumed they'd done something slightly more than rebranding that roadside Topaz to become the Mallow Plaza; like maybe building an actual new "MSA" equivalent.

The photos on their facebook page suggest they didn't.

That really is quite pathetic for all the marketing it got.

It's a nightmare of a place and to think they applied for planning permission a couple of years ago to make the SuperMacs a drive-thru how was that going to happen with the limited space they have as it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

It's a nightmare of a place and to think they applied for planning permission a couple of years ago to make the SuperMacs a drive-thru how was that going to happen with the limited space they have as it is?

They applied for permission to retain the Supermacs, they just moved in without planning permission, same as Ballyhea.
    People give out by Starbucks but Supermacs are notorious for breaches of the Planning code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 corinthion

I have to say the new roundabout layout at Annabella, Mallow, is a huge improvement, especially with traffic coming from Cork during evening rush-hour.

while i find that a huge improvement in the Cork-Limerick direction and vice averse i think it has caused more of a problem coming from the Killarney side at peak times , im not sure about coming out of Mallow town itself , but the Killarney road is now turning out a bit of a disaster if your heading to Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

there's actually oceans of room behind the forecourt.

The other danger point on this section is the Hospital junction which is 100km/h limited and has two roads joining at the same point on the same side of the road. Can be highly dangerous. If you are waiting to exit the hospital and a north bound car is indicating , you don't know if they are taking your road or the second turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

corinthion wrote: »
    while i find that a huge improvement in the Cork-Limerick direction and vice averse i think it has caused more of a problem coming from the Killarney side at peak times , im not sure about coming out of Mallow town itself , but the Killarney road is now turning out a bit of a disaster if your heading to Cork

I have noticed that but I think it's just people getting used to it and will improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

6pm on a wet Wednesday evening on the road connecting Ireland's 2nd and 3rd cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

my god! Why the f**k were multiple massively expensive motorways given the go ahead before this, some of which are about to open?! Its an absolute disgrace!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Kevwoody wrote: »
    6pm on a wet Wednesday evening on the road connecting Ireland's 2nd and 3rd cities.

It beggars belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Nowhere else in Europe would you witness that on a main road linking 2 major cities.

Nowhere else in Europe would you witness that on a main road linking 2 major cities.

Presumably it happens twice a day almost every day.

Presumably it happens twice a day almost every day.

I agree, I never thought of it nor saw it in all my years travelling back and forth on that road.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    my god! Why the f**k were multiple massively expensive motorways given the go ahead before this, some of which are about to open?! Its an absolute disgrace!

The M17/18 is as badly needed as a new M20 in my opinion. I travel both roads weekly and believe it or not, I'd rather the likes of Claregalway and Oranmore bypassed before Charleville or Mallow.
    That being said, from a safety and sheer traffic volume point of view, yes the M20 should have been done first, but I'm confident Varadkar will push it through soon.

The M17/18 is as badly needed as a new M20 in my opinion. I travel both roads weekly and believe it or not, I'd rather the likes of Claregalway and Oranmore bypassed before Charleville or Mallow.
    That being said, from a safety and sheer traffic volume point of view, yes the M20 should have been done first, but I'm confident Varadkar will push it through soon.

What strikes me as odd is varadkar is all for it now but was also the one who cancelled the project in 2011 yet the other projects went ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

What strikes me as odd is varadkar is all for it now but was also the one who cancelled the project in 2011 yet the other projects went ahead.
    Nothing odd about it. We had no money then. We have money now. It's a nice reflection on how we've turned around so much since then that Varadkar could be the one to finally give it the green light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Idbatterim wrote:

You can take that up with all the Munster politicians over the years...your rant should begin and end with them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Nothing odd about it. We had no money then. We have money now. It's a nice reflection on how we've turned around so much since then that Varadkar could be the one to finally give it the green light.

It didn't need to be cancelled. It was before ABP. It may have had a headline €1bn price, but the cost would have been spread out over the course of a number of years (up to 30 if it was a PPP). And the cost of the CPOs would have been much cheaper during the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

The motorway had been rejected by ABP, I believe. Furthermore, ABP approval is not good forever - you use it or you lose it. There was no foreseeable chance that the motorway would be built while planning was potentially valid because we were locked into the IMF bailout (we were using their money, not ours). As such, continuing on with a planning process that would probably have to be repeated anyway was a waste of money that we didn't have. And you can't CPO if you don't have the cash for the P part.

Cancelling the M20 was not a dastardly act by a Dublin politician looking to screw over Cork. It was an unavoidable symptom of our economic failure at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

What rock are you under ?
    Oranmore has been bypassed for nigh on 30 yrs at this stage.
    I live in Galway and by Christ I'd rather Charleville bypassed before Claregalway, I'm down there for work a lot.
    And to those of ye complaining about cattle on N20 will ye stop. Just stop.
    Yanks would pay big money for that raw experience and them photographs.

D Trent wrote: »
    I live in Galway and by Christ I'd rather Charleville bypassed before Claregalway, I'm down there for work a lot.

Raw experience ???
    Yea people dying left right and centre on the N20 is indeed a raw experience. But sure as long as a few yanks get to experience cattle crossing a main road linking 2 cities, sure that's grand!

And Oranmore may have a bypass, but it's still a pain to get through at peak times, especially when the train is crossing.

And I don't live under any rock.

2 yanks died on the N20 just last week.

R.I.P to both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

2 yanks died on the N20 just last week.

R.I.P to both.

2 of 7 on our roads already this year.

RIP indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

<snip>And to those of ye complaining about cattle on N20 will ye stop. Just stop.

Now, there's an idea - anyone good at putting up YouTube videos?

What if there was a massive hit on such a video about the N20 and "Quaint Ireland"? :rolleyes:

Perhaps the embarrassment might spur the powers that be into action!

Middle Man wrote: »
    Now, there's an idea - anyone good at putting up YouTube videos?

What if there was a massive hit on such a video about the N20 and "Quaint Ireland"? :rolleyes:

Perhaps the embarrassment might spur the powers that be into action!

It's part of their culture boss.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There's plenty of roads for Yanks to take pictures of in West Cork.

Business people, commuters, hauliers have more on their mind than looking at cattle. Like getting to their ****ing destination at some decent speed

The motorway had been rejected by ABP, I believe. Furthermore, ABP approval is not good forever - you use it or you lose it. There was no foreseeable chance that the motorway would be built while planning was potentially valid because we were locked into the IMF bailout (we were using their money, not ours). As such, continuing on with a planning process that would probably have to be repeated anyway was a waste of money that we didn't have. And you can't CPO if you don't have the cash for the P part.

Cancelling the M20 was not a dastardly act by a Dublin politician looking to screw over Cork. It was an unavoidable symptom of our economic failure at the time.

The motorway was rejected because the residents of Buttevant complained that Buttevant had no access to the M20. Which was valid, the last M20 scheme didn't have enough junctions (it planned for 7 between Patrickswell and Cork:Croom, O'Rourkes Cross, Ballyhea, Mallow East (N72/73), Mallow South, Rathduff/Grenagh, N40 North Ring). There should be 10+, Charleville R515, Buttevant, another between Mallow and Cork)

Everything bar 10 schemes was cancelled, likely owing to instruction from the Troika and the restrictions on borrowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

marno21 wrote: »
    The motorway was rejected because the residents of Buttevant complained that Buttevant had no access to the M20. Which was valid, the last M20 scheme didn't have enough junctions (it planned for 7 between Patrickswell and Cork:Croom, O'Rourkes Cross, Ballyhea, Mallow East (N72/73), Mallow South, Rathduff/Grenagh, N40 North Ring). There should be 10+, Charleville R515, Buttevant, another between Mallow and Cork)

Everything bar 10 schemes was cancelled, likely owing to instruction from the Troika and the restrictions on borrowing.

7 was plenty, 8 at a stretch. Absolutely no need for Buttevant to have its own.

• Advertisement

Am I reading this right?

It was stopped due to no exit junction for Buttevant?

Advertisement