Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Am I reading this right?

It was stopped due to no exit junction for Buttevant?

Wins the watch !

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

7 was plenty, 8 at a stretch. Absolutely no need for Buttevant to have its own.

Yes need for Buttevant to have its own, otherwise Buttevant traffic cannot get to Cork without transitting the Ballybeg bends.

After all Barefield and Crusheen have junctions on the M18.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Am I reading this right?

It was stopped due to no exit junction for Buttevant?

Yes, Buttevant residents objected and ABP sent it back to design for an M20 junction.

It was outright cancelled then as we couldn't afford the CPO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Wins the watch !

Is it a Rolex :D

marno21 wrote: »
    Yes, Buttevant residents objected and ABP sent it back to design for an M20 junction.

It was outright cancelled then as we couldn't afford the CPO

I never knew that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 David Tucker

Posting link to capital review on gov website (www)per.gov.ie/en/capital-investment-plan-2016-2021/

I guess there will be announcement yay or nay on the M20 around time of 2018 estimates whenever that is.

By the way, I love the improved roundabout at Mallow, it has knocked 5 minutes off my journey, not everyone is using both lanes yet, which suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Posting link to capital review on gov website (www)per.gov.ie/en/capital-investment-plan-2016-2021/

I guess there will be announcement yay or nay on the M20 around time of 2018 estimates whenever that is.

By the way, I love the improved roundabout at Mallow, it has knocked 5 minutes off my journey, not everyone is using both lanes yet, which suits me.

What are the exact changes done there? I wasn't a freqent flyer there, so cannot really notice anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

To defend the Buttevant junction: The old plans I saw had a very big gap between the Charleville and Mallow junctions and given the size of towns that have gotten motorway junctions before (the likes of Moate or Horse & Jockey), none at Buttevant didn't really make much sense. I'm glad it got added to the old plans, but yeah, that was NOT the reason it got canned... the government being unable to afford the CPOs did.

To defend the Buttevant junction: The old plans I saw had a very big gap between the Charleville and Mallow junctions and given the size of towns that have gotten motorway junctions before (the likes of Moate or Horse & Jockey), none at Buttevant didn't really make much sense. I'm glad it got added to the old plans, but yeah, that was NOT the reason it got canned... the government being unable to afford the CPOs did.

I know this has been said time and time and time again.

Had Irish Water not been set up, that money could have gotten this road built long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Don't know anything about Moate but surely the Horse & Jockey exit on the M8 is there to serve Thurles.

• Advertisement

Buttevant having its own junction is the equivalent of Dromahane getting its own junction, they're both less than 10k from Mallow and both have to travel on ****e roads to get to Mallow.
    Yet there was no clamour for a Dromahane junction.

Buttevant having its own junction is the equivalent of Dromahane getting its own junction, they're both less than 10k from Mallow and both have to travel on ****e roads to get to Mallow.
    Yet there was no clamour for a Dromahane junction.
    It's not just Buttevant, there's a large swathe of north Cork not served well if there's no junction from Ballyhea north to Mallow east.

Dromahane is a lot closer to the Mallow south junction than Buttevant is to either of the M20 junctions. Buttevant traffic bound for Cork would have to get on at Olivers Cross which would be about 15km from Buttevant.

It's a pointless topic anyway as we don't know the junctions on the new M20. Mine would be:

6. Croom (R516)
    7. Kilmallock etc (O'Rourkes Cross/R518)
    8. Charleville/Newmarket/Kanturk/Dromcollogher (R515)
    9. Charleville/Ballyhea (Lidl centre too - R526/old N20)
    10. Buttevant/Doneraile/Kanturk (R522)
    11. Mallow etc. (N72/N73)
    12. Mallow South (R526)
    13. Rathduff/Grenagh (R526)
    14. Cork Ring (M40 (M8-N22-N25-N27-M28-N71)

I would also detrunk the N20 from Blarney in and have it as the N27 - have the N27 be a north/south corridor encompassing the North City Link and the South City Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

It is indeed an improvement, it was my first time up that way since it was improved, yesterday

I read here that the dual lanes were running through the roundabout but as I was approaching the roundabout from the City side the original markings are still there, as in left lane for turning left and straight on, the right for Town Center, I thought to myself, is this job actually complete?

As i got closer then the lane names and arrows changed.

What is it about this country and not doing things properly?

It was the same story after the Bus Lane was introduced on the Wilton Road in The City. All lane markings and arrows were correct by the actual junction but approx 100 meters back the road there was an arrow left there indicating that the outside ( non Bus Lane ) was for turning right at the junction.

Thankfully that was put right around 4 years later.

It's not just Buttevant, there's a large swathe of north Cork not served well if there's no junction from Ballyhea north to Mallow east.

Dromahane is a lot closer to the Mallow south junction than Buttevant is to either of the M20 junctions. Buttevant traffic bound for Cork would have to get on at Olivers Cross which would be about 15km from Buttevant.

It's a pointless topic anyway as we don't know the junctions on the new M20. Mine would be:

6. Croom (R516)
    7. Kilmallock etc (O'Rourkes Cross/R518)
    8. Charleville/Newmarket/Kanturk/Dromcollogher (R515)
    9. Charleville/Ballyhea (Lidl centre too - R526/old N20)
    10. Buttevant/Doneraile/Kanturk (R522)
    11. Mallow etc. (N72/N73)
    12. Mallow South (R526)
    13. Rathduff/Grenagh (R526)
    14. Cork Ring (M40 (M8-N22-N25-N27-M28-N71)

I would also detrunk the N20 from Blarney in and have it as the N27 - have the N27 be a north/south corridor encompassing the North City Link and the South City Link.

The N27 is the Airport Road.
    The NRR will be the N/M40 if it goes ahead. The N22 will end at Poulavone/Maglin and become the N40 north and south.

The NRR will be the N/M40 if it goes ahead. The N22 will end at Poulavone/Maglin and become the N40 north and south.

Any timeline for the entire network to be complete?

I'll be long retired no doubt.

The N27 is also the South City Link road from the Kinsale Road to the city centre, it's quite a high standard and critical road for regional road status.

I would designate the existing N20 Blackpool bypass as N27 and detrunk the N22 & N8 inside the new N40. The N8 will have to be detrunked anyway as the M8 will stop at Glanmire at the new N40 junction. Ditto as you say with the N22 ending east of Ballincollig.

Any timeline for the entire network to be complete?

I'll be long retired no doubt.
    Most of it is suspended at the minute so can't give you an answer.

In an ideal world if it were all done at once, 10 years to construct it all?

The N27 is also the South City Link road from the Kinsale Road to the city centre, it's quite a high standard and critical road for regional road status.

I would designate the existing N20 Blackpool bypass as N27 and detrunk the N22 & N8 inside the new N40. The N8 will have to be detrunked anyway as the M8 will stop at Glanmire at the new N40 junction. Ditto as you say with the N22 ending east of Ballincollig.

I forgot about the link.

There is a preferred route but a long way off. It would be a game changer for Cork if it was built in a timely manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

The delay to the planning process due to Buttevant Junction did prevent the Board approving the M20 scheme before the government withdrew the application. Had the delay not occurred the Scheme would have received planning permission. Even if the government decided then not to buy the land (crazy as that would be) we would have the permission which does not expire like a planning permission for a house after 5 years.

kub wrote: »
    It is indeed an improvement, it was my first time up that way since it was improved, yesterday

I read here that the dual lanes were running through the roundabout but as I was approaching the roundabout from the City side the original markings are still there, as in left lane for turning left and straight on, the right for Town Center, I thought to myself, is this job actually complete?

As i got closer then the lane names and arrows changed.

What is it about this country and not doing things properly?

It was the same story after the Bus Lane was introduced on the Wilton Road in The City. All lane markings and arrows were correct by the actual junction but approx 100 meters back the road there was an arrow left there indicating that the outside ( non Bus Lane ) was for turning right at the junction.

Thankfully that was put right around 4 years later.

I noticed that a few weeks ago coming from Cork, very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Anyone notice the electronic counting system has been deployed at a few location on the main Cork - Mallow road, anything to do with possible traffic on M20 I wonder?

Although another counter has been placed on the R619 between Dromahane and Bweeng too, maybe its just the Mallow area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

irishfeen wrote: »
    Anyone notice the electronic counting system has been deployed at a few location on the main Cork - Mallow road, anything to do with possible traffic on M20 I wonder?

Although another counter has been places on the R619 between Dromahane and Bweeng too, maybe its just the Mallow area.

Is that the Strips on the road? If so, they are also on the road between Buttevant and Liscarrol by the turn off for Churchtown

Is that the Strips on the road? If so, they are also on the road between Buttevant and Liscarrol by the turn off for Churchtown
    Yes that's them, must be a fairly widespread survey.

Yes that's them, must be fairly widespread survey.

Those machines will blow up such is the volume of traffic on that road :pac:

Those machines will blow up such is the volume of traffic on that road :pac:
    Lol I would actually like to see the results since the upturn of the economy again, things are getting very busy!

These are traffic surveys being done by AECOM as an early activity for the New Cork-Limerick motorway scheme

They will be carrying out this work until February.

Lol I would actually like to see the results since the upturn of the economy again, things are getting very busy!

I'd be curious myself.

As a trucker that road would be a godsend, i fully expect to be long gone out of the game by the time the M20 is opened, but even as a commuter i'm like a child on christmas morning, waiting and waiting and waiting...................

• Advertisement

These are traffic surveys being done by AECOM as an early activity for the New Cork-Limerick motorway scheme

They will be carrying out this work until February.
    Interesting stuff! ... surprised they would be going past Dromahane for such info tbh as majority beyond would join N20 at the Rest Area junction.

Advertisement