Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

marno21 wrote: »
    These are traffic surveys being done by AECOM as an early activity for the New Cork-Limerick motorway scheme

They will be carrying out this work until February.

Came across one of these on the R515 outside Charleville today. That's the route to Kanturk, Newmarket & Dromcollogher/Newcastle West.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

jgbyr wrote: »
    Came across one of these on the R515 outside Charleville today. That's the route to Kanturk, Newmarket & Dromcollogher/Newcastle West.

Good to see. This road needs a junction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I wonder what is the progress on this future Motorway or has there been any land compulsory purchased yet? Is there a preferred route etc?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Doltanian wrote: »
    I wonder what is the progress on this future Motorway or has there been any land compulsory purchased yet? Is there a preferred route etc?

It's at the very very start. Traffic figures and other data are being gathered for a feasibility study

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Might be unrelated, but there is a set of these roughly 2km out the N24 from the M7 flyover. Anyone know if there are any on the R513?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

ricimaki wrote: »
    Might be unrelated, but there is a set of these roughly 2km out the N24 from the M7 flyover. Anyone know if there are any on the R513?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bW7Op86ox9g

ricimaki wrote: »

They are likely related, they have to check the "alternative route" and rule it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 David Tucker

grogi wrote: »
    Posting link to capital review on gov website (www)per.gov.ie/en/capital-investment-plan-2016-2021/

I guess there will be announcement yay or nay on the M20 around time of 2018 estimates whenever that is.

By the way, I love the improved roundabout at Mallow, it has knocked 5 minutes off my journey, not everyone is using both lanes yet, which suits me.

What are the exact changes done there? I wasn't a freqent flyer there, so cannot really notice anything...
    Hi Kub,
    They have now slightly widened & smoothed the roundabout and allow northbound to use the right lane and southbound to use the left lane while going straight through the roundabout.
    Regards David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭pigtown

Also on the Mitchelstown road towards Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

pigtown wrote: »
    Also on the Mitchelstown road towards Limerick.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bW7Op86ox9g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Hi Kub,
    They have now slightly widened & smoothed the roundabout and allow northbound to use the right lane and southbound to use the left lane while going straight through the roundabout.
    Regards David

Thank you, I did notice the works that were carried out but those lane markings approaching the roundabout from the City side need to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

There was a "Census Survey" at the end of the Croom bypass this morning - I got pulled in and asked where i was commuting from, how often i do it a week, and do i use the N20 often

Wasn't the Census last year? I'm hoping it has something to do with the early activities mentioned above

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    There was a "Census Survey" at the end of the Croom bypass this morning - I got pulled in and asked where i was commuting from, how often i do it a week, and do i use the N20 often

Wasn't the Census last year? I'm hoping it has something to do with the early activities mentioned above

This is to do with the early activities and was already done in 2007/8. It's to see where people are going and how much of the N20 traffic in certain locations is end to end. The volume of end-end traffic will be used to determine if a route via the M8 is viable. It was totally ruled out the last time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

This is to do with the early activities and was already done in 2007/8. It's to see where people are going and how much of the N20 traffic in certain locations is end to end. The volume of end-end traffic will be used to determine if a route via the M8 is viable. It was totally ruled out the last time

They are totally mad if they explore this!

It needs to be via the N20 corridor only.

Are they seriously considering the M8 again?

Jasus there'll be fireworks at the dunkettle roundabout/interchange :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Will we be seeing this thread being reopened then?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057600214

They have to rule out any alternative routes first, this happens with all schemes.

The best route/most appropriate route will be chosen. Given the scope of this project it has to be done.

Discussion on which route is better can take place here as it's part of the project now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

They have to rule out any alternative routes first, this happens with all schemes.

The best route/most appropriate route will be chosen. Given the scope of this project it has to be done.

Discussion on which route is better can take place here as it's part of the project now.

Will be interesting to see if at least part of the NRR will be bundled with the M20.

As you say, the Western part would work best with the M20 but the Eastern part would be more beneficial for the North side of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

With all the various traffic counting lines across the road all the way from Limerick to Cork at the minute, plus this survey being done, are we finally seeing some movement? Will there be any announcement in the Budget i wonder?

Will be interesting to see if at least part of the NRR will be bundled with the M20.

As you say, the Western part would work best with the M20 but the Eastern part would be more beneficial for the North side of the city.

In reality both parts are needed, but the East element will likely get the green light on cost grounds as the western element has terrain constraints

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    With all the various traffic counting lines across the road all the way from Limerick to Cork at the minute, plus this survey being done, are we finally seeing some movement? Will there be any announcement in the Budget i wonder?

Yep, this can be counted as movement. AECOM ROD are doing some data collection for the New Cork-Limerick motorway scheme at the minute. Will be complete in February. Hopefully TII get the funding to carry this to the full planning stage

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Isn't it usually a case in new road constuction of the route is chosen to go through as many corrupt politicians and crony farmers land as possible and double to treble the market rate of land paid with €75,000 per acre for holes of bog that wouldn't make €5,000 an acre if it was selling as farmland. Look at the squiggly nature of roads, they are often diverted a kilometre or so here or there so that some crony can benefit. A huge element of road construction cost goes in land purchasing which allows for huge profits to be made at the taxpayers expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Doltanian wrote: »
    Isn't it usually a case in new road constuction of the route is chosen to go through as many corrupt politicians and crony farmers land as possible and double to treble the market rate of land paid with €75,000 per acre for holes of bog that wouldn't make €5,000 an acre if it was selling as farmland. Look at the squiggly nature of roads, they are often diverted a kilometre or so here or there so that some crony can benefit. A huge element of road construction cost goes in land purchasing which allows for huge profits to be made at the taxpayers expense.

The squiggly nature of new roads is nothing to do with crony farmers. It's to avoid the hundreds of one of houses that (corrupt maybe) local authority's stupidly give planning permission to. That and trying to avoid tricky terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Kevwoody wrote: »
    The squiggly nature of new roads is nothing to do with crony farmers. It's to avoid the hundreds of one of houses that (corrupt maybe) local authority's stupidly give planning permission to. That and trying to avoid tricky terrain.

Nonsense. There is CPO in the end...

Nonsense. There is CPO in the end...

Nonsense?
    Have a look around the new M17/18 route, yes CPO is there as an option, but that isn't going to mean they won't swerve the route of a new road to avoid clusters of houses. If they CPO'd every house they wanted to, there'd be no money left to construct the road!

Nonsense?
    Have a look around the new M17/18 route, yes CPO is there as an option, but that isn't going to mean they won't swerve the route of a new road to avoid clusters of houses. If they CPO'd every house they wanted to, there'd be no money left to construct the road!

It always goes down to cost - is it cheaper to go around an estate or CPO a few of the houses? One house and one stubborn owner will not force the planning to go around a mountain... Might delay though.

It always goes down to cost - is it cheaper to go around an estate or CPO a few of the houses? One house and one stubborn owner will not force the planning to go around a mountain... Might delay though.

Of course they will CPO a few houses if it's cheaper than a long detour, the point I'm making is one off houses in the countryside with vast areas of farmland surrounding them, in that case it is cheaper to meander the course of the road, which is why many of our motorways are quite twisty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I only know of one instance where a road was diverted, AWAY from a farm. He was related to a heavy hitter, non politician. Never heard of a farmer looking for a road through his land.
    Stop making up nonsense.

Water John wrote: »
    I only know of one instance where a road was diverted, AWAY from a farm. He was related to a heavy hitter, non politician. Never heard of a farmer looking for a road through his land.
    Stop making up nonsense.

Who is the last remark directed at?

Who is the last remark directed at?

@Doltanian

• Advertisement

Very heavy traffic on the N20 this evening as the census data collection continues. Unfortunately it was northbound at the time so I couldn't partake.

3 sets of traffic counters between the M20 and Charleville, and one on the R515 outside Charleville.

Advertisement