Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie thread / introduce yourself here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've been considering a tatt for a while, I know what I want and I've gotten a quote, but thing is I'm a wuss. Its on the back of my hand and fingers, and though I've never had anything like this done before, it intuitively would seem that this would be a fúckin sore place to have done(I know fingertips are a real bad spot, wouldnt be going that far). Would be from around half way down each finger and a little past the wrist.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I've been considering a tatt for a while, I know what I want and I've gotten a quote, but thing is I'm a wuss. Its on the back of my hand and fingers, and though I've never had anything like this done before, it intuitively would seem that this would be a fúckin sore place to have done(I know fingertips are a real bad spot, wouldnt be going that far). Would be from around half way down each finger and a little past the wrist.

Thoughts?

Are you working/intending to work in an environment where you are dealing with the public, in so far as it could be frowned upon, loose you interviews and whatnot?

I'm sure you have thought about it for a while, as getting your hands done is a pretty big commitment, IMHO. I would just advise to make sure you are 110% commited to getting this done in such a prominant place. If you need to, leave it for another couple of months, let the idea sink in, only if your unsure in any small way.

As for what it would feel like? No idea, have never even contemplated getting hands done, though i'm sure it would sting abit due to there being very little flesh on the hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I omitted the fact that it'll be with UV ink, didnt want to start that debate up again, but yeah, I would never get it in regular ink somewhere visible(I'd lose my jobs if I did).

I understand there will be some small scarring, but that doesnt bother me, its the pain that does :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I omitted the fact that it'll be with UV ink, didnt want to start that debate up again, but yeah, I would never get it in regular ink somewhere visible(I'd lose my jobs if I did).

I understand there will be some small scarring, but that doesnt bother me, its the pain that does :o

Bear in mind that the UV ink will still be partially visible too, unless they are using some pigment that they found that matches your skin tone when it's healed!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 CongressTart

Say this to the artist, i'm sure they will sort it out rather than lose your custom!

Well I called today and was told that the artist said my design is taking too long for me to go with and I have to book in and pay as it is taking up all her time :confused:

I am very angry now, as I have already paid for a voucher and she has done 2 designs since APRIL/MAY! The 2nd of which left out a big chunk of what I asked for.

I have called in repeatedly to her too as she kept promising me she will have it done and hasn't with all the excuses as to why not. She couldn't come to the phone but I will be talking to her next week, I can't honestly believe she said that about my design and I would rather hear it from the horses mouth rather than the receptionist.

I actually can't believe this was said as I have been very VERY patient over the last few months.

Is this normal or messed up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Well I called today and was told that the artist said my design is taking too long for me to go with and I have to book in and pay as it is taking up all her time :confused:

I am very angry now, as I have already paid for a voucher and she has done 2 designs since APRIL/MAY! The 2nd of which left out a big chunk of what I asked for.

I have called in repeatedly to her too as she kept promising me she will have it done and hasn't with all the excuses as to why not. She couldn't come to the phone but I will be talking to her next week, I can't honestly believe she said that about my design and I would rather hear it from the horses mouth rather than the receptionist.

I actually can't believe this was said as I have been very VERY patient over the last few months.

No, it's not normal. Can I ask is this place a fairly reputable tattoo parlour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭antocann

no its not normal , their just mugging you about , most artists take pride in their work and work to satisfy the customer ,
    id take the voucher sell it or try get a refund , and go else where , theres some great artists around who would be glad for the job

No, it's not normal. Can I ask is this place a fairly reputable tattoo parlour?

It is, yeah. I won't mention which one yet until it is sorted but it seems reputable.

antocann wrote: »
    no its not normal , their just mugging you about , most artists take pride in their work and work to satisfy the customer ,
    id take the voucher sell it or try get a refund , and go else where , theres some great artists around who would be glad for the job

Well as I have said, I have been very patient with them but after the way I was spoken to today, as if I have been fussy or time wasting, I am certainly very annoyed at this as it has been my time wasted if anything. I think I will ask for a refund on my voucher and take my business elsewhere.

I just hope they refund old vouchers. If not then I am stuck with them.

It is a shame as I like her work for what I want and it is fairly local too but at this stage I'd have got the job done by now if I went to Japan in the meantime!

To be honest, i am unaware of the protocol for getting a tattoo design done. Do you have to pay the artist first, usually?

And what if they don't draw what you want 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Just a taught but maybe the artist isn't really into or comfortable doing the piece.
    Its a bit unprofessional to keep putting ya off rather than just say so but it is a possibility.

Anyway as for the protocol, from my experience it depends on the artist/studio;

When i got some work done in JMD's it was a case of pay a deposit & book a session, when i got down there Ian had a look at my reference material, started drawing on my arm and when i was happy with what he had drawn he did the outline. He charged per hour and i settled up with him when the session was finished. Next session was the same, deposit a week or 2 in advance, few hours tattooing and pay for the amount of hours after.

Phil Cummins in Cobh worked a slightly different system, No deposit required and he charged per session (anywhere between 3 & 6 hours), I called into him for a consult 2 weeks before my first session to discuss the piece but there was no drawing done until i arrived for my first sitting, saying that he pretty much had the whole piece planned out in his head when i arrived :). He spend 4 hours that night drawing on my arm, swapping and changing elements and making sure i was happy with everything before a needle went near my skin.

• Advertisement

My experience was different, where I paid a deposit, and the artist drew up a design for me, then I came back and I had the tattoo done. I was lucky that they nailed what I wanted first go.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

It is, yeah. I won't mention which one yet until it is sorted but it seems reputable.

Two of my tattoos were done by the same artist in a very reputable place. I also got two touchups from them as well so I actually went in 4 times over all. And every single time I went in there was some setback which changed the either the day or time of the appointment. And while the tattoo artist was very good, probably the best in there, they were also very unprofessional and had a pretty bad attitude. They didn't seem to care whether or not the appointments were pushed back. On one occasion I showed up at my allocated time and they said "Yeah, I'm sick so I can't do it today." Turned out they were actually hungover but made no effort to ring me beforehand, they waited until I was there before telling me. I was so sick of being messed around so I decided to go somewhere else and have no intention of going back to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭F.U.B.A.R

Hey Iam a noob and as of yet I have no tattoo's but Iam planning on having allot of realistic black and grey work done and maybe a Japanese sleve done
    for the Black and grey jobs I'l be drawing one of them up myself as theres alot of personal symbolism I want to incorporate in it and would just like to know where's a good place to look for artwork on angels and deamons as the main black and grey piece is going on my back and will be an angel slaying one ugly ass demon :D and am having trooble finding artwork thats more.... well gothic or more synester looking then the blondey round faced stuff you see in the bible stories and on the statues in church would also be looking for advice on where to go for this work in either the Republic / Northern Ireland or the UK as I'am currently looking to enlist in the British Army , which is a bit of an anoyence as i cannot get any tattoos or peircings during the application aand training process which can be anywhere from 1-2 years ! :'(

but any help would be much appretiated :D Thanks in advance

Also one more question is why isnt there any boards beers in Cork?! Are we too good for ye :P :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

F.U.B.A.R wrote: »
    Hey Iam a noob and as of yet I have no tattoo's but Iam planning on having allot of realistic black and grey work done and maybe a Japanese sleve done
    for the Black and grey jobs I'l be drawing one of them up myself as theres alot of personal symbolism I want to incorporate in it and would just like to know where's a good place to look for artwork on angels and deamons as the main black and grey piece is going on my back and will be an angel slaying one ugly ass demon :D and am having trooble finding artwork thats more.... well gothic or more synester looking then the blondey round faced stuff you see in the bible stories and on the statues in church would also be looking for advice on where to go for this work in either the Republic / Northern Ireland or the UK as I'am currently looking to enlist in the British Army , which is a bit of an anoyence as i cannot get any tattoos or peircings during the application aand training process which can be anywhere from 1-2 years ! :'(

but any help would be much appretiated :D Thanks in advance

Also one more question is why isnt there any boards beers in Cork?! Are we too good for ye :P :D

Welcome aboard :D

And we've been threatening cork beers for a while just been all talk and no beering as yet :o
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056355020

Elbow wrote: »
    Welcome aboard :D

And we've been threatening cork beers for a while just been all talk and no beering as yet :o
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056355020

ha cheers Elbow :D is it just me or does the boards search function suck? honestly ive searched for boards bears in Cork and got no hits at all :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Because nobody wants one.

That unfortunately is quite evident :( BUT who knows has to happen eventually :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Hi all, I'm a newbie I suppose though I have been a lurker for awhile, I guess that just makes me creepy.
    Oh yeah, I like tattoos :B

Hi all, I'm a newbie I suppose though I have been a lurker for awhile, I guess that just makes me creepy.
    Oh yeah, I like tattoos :B
    meh i used to lurk outside wills windows, seen him on boards one day, joined up....You're alot creepier though!

meh i used to lurk outside wills windows, seen him on boards one day, joined up....You're alot creepier though!

Sweet, I always wanted to be more creepy than a peeping-tom, now I can die happy. ;)

• Advertisement

Sweet, I always wanted to be more creepy than a peeping-tom, now I can die happy. ;)
    I prefer the term extreme reality tv fanatic

I prefer the term extreme reality tv fanatic

I wanted to thank this as it made me chuckle but as my quick search informed me that I needed 10 posted to do that :( so no thanks for you.. yet.

I wanted to thank this as it made me chuckle but as my quick search informed me that I needed 10 posted to do that :( so no thanks for you.. yet.

Its a bummer when starting out wait until you have to send a PM lol

Don't worry I'm quite witty, You'll get plenty of chances :)

Its a bummer when starting out wait until you have to send a PM lol

Do I need to give my first born for the privilege?

Do I need to give my first born for the privilege?

lol no 30 odd posts i think :D and congrats on number 10! :D

lol no 30 odd posts i think :D and congrats on number 10! :D

Pity, I was looking for a way to get rid of him :(

Pity, I was looking for a way to get rid of him :(

well you can always ask admin :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CsiGirl

I can't remember if I've posted in here before or not, but Hi, I am addicted to tattoos, I have 3 small Tattoos and 5 Piercings and I want more lol :)

• Advertisement

Welcome aboard all you newbs that I haven't already greeted!

[/broad-cover-all-greeting]

Advertisement