Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goth Discussion

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

DenMan wrote: »
    Anything can be discussed here from what it means to you to be a Goth, your dress sense, political opinions, tastes in music, literature – anything and everything. This is of course not the case. Right now I have just started reading The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole (1764) as I have been trying to get a hold of it for quite some time. It is a timeless classic and great for motivation. Since Gothic can be seen my many people as falling into the category of Nocturnal I have decided to put this here.

Thanking you all in advance. :)

I see myself as a kind of hybrid. To know me, you wouldn't think I was of the 'gothic' mentality. I enjoy my sports and share the greatness of life with my friends. But my mindset is quite gothic. My favourite moments in regards to literature has been reading gothic literature such as Frankenstein, Heart of Darkness, Dracula and Interview with a Vampire. I'm a person of deep thought and I despair at the nature of society.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I see myself as a kind of hybrid. To know me, you wouldn't think I was of the 'gothic' mentality. I enjoy my sports and share the greatness of life with my friends. But my mindset is quite gothic. My favourite moments in regards to literature has been reading gothic literature such as Frankenstein, Heart of Darkness, Dracula and Interview with a Vampire. I'm a person of deep thought and I despair at the nature of society.

I think I have yet to see a single person come in here and actually declare themselves a goth... it's funny, really.

SDooM wrote: »
    I think I have yet to see a single person come in here and actually declare themselves a goth... it's funny, really.

Goths rejected me! From where I'm from there were plenty of different groups but we were unique because we had respect for each other. However I found goths to be the most closed off group. It was ridiculous because even though I shared a number of common interests with them I was treated like a lepor for not wearing the same clothes as them or for not wearing make-up!

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Goths rejected me! From where I'm from there were plenty of different groups but we were unique because we had respect for each other. However I found goths to be the most closed off group. It was ridiculous because even though I shared a number of common interests with them I was treated like a lepor for not wearing the same clothes as them or for not wearing make-up!

*shrugs* people are people. Just because they're goths doesn't mean they're not ****heads.

*shrugs* people are people. Just because they're goths doesn't mean they're not ****heads.

Indeed, but I can only draw on my personal experience.:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss_lady

This thread has been delightful to read, thanks to the OP for throwing light on this topic :D

I would share alot of the views already posted on here about it being a state of mind, an attitude or whatever rather then the simple visual of black clothes yadda yadda... so I wont repeat the last 15 pages hahaha.
    I will just add though that I have never yet come across a goth who dosnt fit into another group, who dosnt have interests or likes or hobbies outside the typical goth scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭DenMan

Thank you Miss lady. I am delighted to see that this thread has been looked at again, nice one SDooM. :)

I got this link from a friend in the UK and it's an Irish site.

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=6426829121

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Uh... That it is a mindset, a philosophy, a way of looking at the world... slightly askew.

Ever so slightly.
    Yeah, but what does that actually mean?

My question was essentially, is it a fascination with actual morbid things like death, torture, murder etc., or is it a fascination with an aesthetic which includes a lot of black and skulls etc.

Thaed said it was a mindset/philosophy, but didn't actually say what that mindset was exactly, just posted a cryptic bible pseudo-quote, which didn't really explain anything....

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Yeah, but what does that actually mean?

My question was essentially, is it a fascination with actual morbid things like death, torture, murder etc., or is it a fascination with an aesthetic which includes a lot of black and skulls etc.

Thaed said it was a mindset/philosophy, but didn't actually say what that mindset was exactly, just posted a cryptic bible pseudo-quote, which didn't really explain anything....

I would have that mindset, the slightly darker, possibly twisted, very much askew, but I would not say I that I am drawn to torture, murder, OR just the aesthetic side - its not like that. I would be drawn to darker images yes, I would be drawn to darker clothes yes, I have considered all the affects and possibilities around death and those around me (my own mortality not some mass murder so dont worry), BUT still I wouldnt say that they sum up that mindset that we are talking about. I know I keep referring to myself but I am saying all of this based on my own experience, for each person it might be different. Its like I see the world in adarker shade then others, imagine the difference between looking at Bratz the movie and looking at Corpse Bride. thats the only way I can explain it hahaha.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Miss_lady wrote: »
    I would have that mindset, the slightly darker, possibly twisted, very much askew, but I would not say I that I am drawn to torture, murder, OR just the aesthetic side - its not like that. I would be drawn to darker images yes, I would be drawn to darker clothes yes, I have considered all the affects and possibilities around death and those around me (my own mortality not some mass murder so dont worry), BUT still I wouldnt say that they sum up that mindset that we are talking about. I know I keep referring to myself but I am saying all of this based on my own experience, for each person it might be different. Its like I see the world in adarker shade then others, imagine the difference between looking at Bratz the movie and looking at Corpse Bride. thats the only way I can explain it hahaha.....

Corpse Bride rawks. Only romantic comedy I ever enjoyed. :P

• Advertisement

That's kinda what I'm getting at.

I don't think it's about a mindset or philosophy, but about a liking for a particular type of aesthetic which involves the romanticisation of death, among other things, some of which are directly related to morbidity/death (skulls etc.) and some of which are incidental (the colour black, the musical and literary style, certain types of architecture, Victorian fashion etc.).

I'd love to hear some insight from those who'd disagree with me into what a gothic mindset/philosophy would be exactly though :)

That's kinda what I'm getting at.

I don't think it's about a mindset or philosophy, but about a liking for a particular type of aesthetic which involves the romanticisation of death, among other things, some of which are directly related to morbidity/death (skulls etc.) and some of which are incidental (the colour black, the musical and literary style, certain types of architecture, Victorian fashion etc.).

I'd love to hear some insight from those who'd disagree with me into what a gothic mindset/philosophy would be exactly though :)

Aah but I DO see it as a mindset because it exists in every part of my life, how I think and see life and experience emotions etc. It is not just a particular like for certain colours or images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

"Goths", just another subculture of people trying to fit into it. I think they dress weird. I don't care for their music. I wouldn't want to meet one in a dark alley way because their shadow would scare the bejaysus out of me but upon seeing them I would probably relax. I associate the term with young teenagers really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I like some goth music but it begins and end there. Actually all of the gothic music I like has a heavy emphasis on synthesisers and since I like electro/dance music that's probably why. Black makes me look so pale and washed out- really does nothing for me. I don't subscribe to the mentality, but to be honest having read this thread I'm not even sure of the mentality...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Piste wrote: »
    I like some goth music but it begins and end there. Actually all of the gothic music I like has a heavy emphasis on synthesisers and since I like electro/dance music that's probably why. Black makes me look so pale and washed out- really does nothing for me. I don't subscribe to the mentality, but to be honest having read this thread I'm not even sure of the mentality...

What's a jock?

What's a knacker?

What's a bogger?

What's a whatever? :P

Everyone's different. 'Goth' is a catch all term for a lot of different people, they're all individual people at the end of teh day.

What's a jock?

What's a knacker?

What's a bogger?

What's a whatever? :P

Everyone's different. 'Goth' is a catch all term for a lot of different people, they're all individual people at the end of teh day.

Yup.

I can't see why people are having trouble getting that.

Yeah, but you wouldn't see a thread called "Jock Discussion" or "Knacker Discussion" anywhere. "Goth" seems to be a label embraced by those it applies to rather than a label used to stereotype certain groups of people by external parties. I mean you wouldn't see a "jock" talking about how being a jock shapes their view of the world or whatever.

Yeah, but you wouldn't see a thread called "Jock Discussion" or "Knacker Discussion" anywhere. "Goth" seems to be a label embraced by those it applies to rather than a label used to stereotype certain groups of people by external parties. I mean you wouldn't see a "jock" talking about how being a jock shapes their view of the world or whatever.

yyyeaaah, but you would get a punk, or a raver, which are other labels which were spawned from musical genres.

Advertisement