Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goth Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

I always thought that when somebody is outcast or really anti-social they say " oh well if I be a "goth", that means I will have a friend cos there will always be goths"

They Just wear the clothes and stuff to say F-off society in a good way.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Peppapig wrote: »
    I always thought that when somebody is outcast or really anti-social they say " oh well if I be a "goth", that means I will have a friend cos there will always be goths"

They Just wear the clothes and stuff to say F-off society in a good way.:rolleyes:

Being goth has exactly zero to do with being anti social. In fact, you could argue the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Back to Goth cakes:

2988534008_07e5bd14d9.jpg?w=398&h=500

2931905731_c0a57259a9.jpg?w=333&h=500

cake452.jpg?w=400&h=539

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Nice one, Piste.

I love the first and last one. (Corpse Bride :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think the conclusion of this thread is that Goths, like most people, are about cake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Piste wrote: »
    I think the conclusion of this thread is that Goths, like most people, are about cake.
    But my friend, what if the cake is an illusion?

That's going in the next nocturnal podcast, just so you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

But of course!

I have always been involved in a lot of different groups. I never much liked limitations so would just what i wanted, dress how i wanted, listen to what i wanted. It's a possibility that this desire to not truly follow anyone trend or group or culture meant i was always on the outskirts of each "group" but their is one simply thing that i have learned from knowing so many people who were all into different things.

Ask 3 people in the same scene what that scene is about and you will get three different answers. As was already said, everything has a driver and life as an individual capable of cognitive thought just means that we all reach out to find commons lines, interests and associations with our fellow humans but for very different reasons and when we find something we can give it very different interpretations.

As such, "scenes" and "groups" and "trends" tend to have rough rules but that is about it. Go to a Psytrance night anywhere in town and you will find people who call themselves Goth but are dressed in neon dancing to beats about love, respect and happiness. Find a group of old school Goths and they may not be willing to accept the Neon Goths. Most social scenes work on a system of inclusion and exclusion. It's the EXCLUSIONS that tend to define that social scene a lot more than who they actually allow in, in my opinion.

In short, Goth, much like anything else, is a rough family of people with a shared and common interest, emtional base etc etc but with so many things feeding into it, and from it, that in a way it's an individual to each person as the there are people involved.

Just like anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

As the what type goth thread shows it is an Umbrella term,
    pretty much like the term pagan.

It;s a way of looking at life and the world, a philosphy rather then a creed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The Cake is a LIE!!!
    The Cake is a LIE!!!
    The Cake is a LIE!!!
    The Cake is a LIE!!!
    The Cake is a LIE!!!
    Teutorix wrote: »
    But my friend, what if the cake is an illusion?
    Back to Goth cakes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

The power of cake compels me!

SDooM wrote: »
    You mean there's no coldplay after death?

Is that some sort of veiled and twisted reference to necrophilia ?

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Is that some sort of veiled and twisted reference to necrophilia ?
    Only you could find that kind of hidden meaning :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You know, it does seem to me that people are talking about Goth simply as a particular style of dress, or a scene, and completely glossing over the actual style of music.

eh the point is it is more then just music

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Because Goth musci <= Sh!T
    You know, it does seem to me that people are talking about Goth simply as a particular style of dress, or a scene, and completely glossing over the actual style of music.

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Because Goth musci <= Sh!T

:eek: oh no you didn't

Indeedily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Never said it wasn't about more than just music, did I? Sure, there's a whole scene, but there is also a whole style of music as well. That's my point, nobody really seemed to mention the music in this thread, when that is a part of Goth.

Never said it wasn't about more than just music, did I? Sure, there's a whole scene, but there is also a whole style of music as well. That's my point, nobody really seemed to mention the music in this thread, when that is a part of Goth.

I mentioned the music. I mentioned that I like of gothesque music.

Me, me, me. :)

• Advertisement

Teutorix wrote: »
    Only you could find that kind of hidden meaning :rolleyes:

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Dragan wrote: »
    Go to a Psytrance night anywhere in town
    If only it were true that psytrance could be found "anywhere in town" :( Although the scene does seem to be growing :)

I'm of the opinion that the word "goth" doesn't really refer to much other than fashion or music. Anything else is down to the individual. You can say that it means different things to different people, but it's hard to really see the point in that, other than the fact that some people might like to romaticise about being defined by the "goth" label.

A question on this whole supposed "dark" or "morbid" view on life, or fascination with death, to anyone who would agree with such claims. Is this really the case, or is it more to do with artifacts, symbols and art traditionally associated with death - skulls, coffins, black clothing, pale skin etc. ? For example, would you look at pictures of corpses, videos of people being killed, read articles on murder, necrophilia etc., or would it be limited to simply enjoying a particular aesthetic?

I disagree it's a mindset, a philosphy, a way of looking at the world through a glass darkly.

What do you mean by "darkly"?

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    What do you mean by "darkly"?

It's a quote. Kinda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I disagree it's a mindset, a philosphy, a way of looking at the world through a glass darkly.

Couldnt have put it better!

SDooM wrote: »
    It's a quote. Kinda.
    What?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Through_a_Glass_Darkly

Bible quote infact.
    1 Corinthians 13:12

Profound.

And what meaning do you take from the quote? And how does it apply to goths?

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Profound.

And what meaning do you take from the quote? And how does it apply to goths?

Uh... That it is a mindset, a philosophy, a way of looking at the world... slightly askew.

Ever so slightly.

Advertisement