Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goth Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Do goths still exist?! Havn't seen one in AGES. Thought it had summink to do with global warming or that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I wouldn't know, I'm not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭DenMan

Got an email from a friend asking about The Dominion nightclub in Dublin. Haven't been there before (yet :)) Can anyone tell me about it, their experiences there and is it recommended for a good night out?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

DenMan wrote: »
    Got an email from a friend asking about The Dominion nightclub in Dublin. Haven't been there before (yet :)) Can anyone tell me about it, their experiences there and is it recommended for a good night out?

Its been a billion years since I was there, it was good fun, friendly peeps, they physically look a bit more extreme than their fibbers brethren though if someone is silly enough to care about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Been there a few times fairly recently. They play a hell of a lot of dance music. Sure, they call it "Electrogoth" but it's really just dance music for pretentious people who don't want to admit they're listening to dance music. You'll rarely hear the likes of Fields of the Nephilim or anything that remotely resembles actual goth music any more. And the venue has to be one of the most overpriced places I've been to, and that's saying something.

But, with all that said, if you've a good group of mates to talk to, it's tolerable.

• Advertisement

Maybe we should try and organise something here and we can make a good night out of it. I'd be up for that.

Maybe we should try and organise something here and we can make a good night out of it. I'd be up for that.

Maybe in December, there's ALOT of beers betwixt now and then already. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://dominion.gothic.ie/

Thanks Thaedydal

Have you been there recenty? Did you enjoy it? It does sound very promising doesn't it, and as Doomy said, we could make a stab of it for Dec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Been there a few times fairly recently. They play a hell of a lot of dance music. Sure, they call it "Electrogoth" but it's really just dance music for pretentious people who don't want to admit they're listening to dance music. You'll rarely hear the likes of Fields of the Nephilim or anything that remotely resembles actual goth music any more.
    Hehe.

Though most goth music contains a steady, solid beat and is usually danceable anyway, so you could almost say it's already a form of dance music. And Darkwave/Electrogoth has been around since the 80s, it's a bit pretentious of you to say it's not "actual goth music". And it would make sense to play that kinda stuff in a club, since dancing is what people generally do in clubs.

Looking at their playlists on their site though, I see a lot of stuff I recognise, and not much of it could really be described as electrogoth. Seems like a nice mix of Goth, Industrial, New Wave, Post Punk etc.

I've been meaning to go sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Armedcor

Bambi wrote: »
    The most important rule of being a goff: If you call yourself a goth then you arent one :pac:

I'm sorry this statement kinda made me look twice...If we're talking about real goths, not temple bar goths who buy a pair of new rocks and think they look class :p I mean people who are really interested in the gothic colture, writings, poetry, etc then I'm sure they have every right to call them selfs "goths".
    Well thats my 2 cents. *gets another beer*

Armedcor wrote: »
    I'm sorry this statement kinda made me look twice...If we're talking about real goths, not temple bar goths who buy a pair of new rocks and think they look class :p I mean people who are really interested in the gothic colture, writings, poetry, etc then I'm sure they have every right to call them selfs "goths".
    Well thats my 2 cents. *gets another beer*

In my experience, the people in the "goth community" you have to watch the most are those who refer to themselves as "true goths".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yep those who call themseves 'Goths' then be those who get into those more Gothier the goth pissing contests.

Ah I love this time of year, everything is starting to die.
    The butterflies are dead, the moths are next, there is that last desperate push to to get the nuts and fruits grown on the trees and plants and there is that hint of decay on the evening air which gets colder and longer each day.
    Soon it will be autumn equinox and the dark will hold saw growing and lengthening for 3 months until Winter soltaice.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Yep those who call themseves 'Goths' then be those who get into those more Gothier the goth pissing contests.

Ah I love this time of year, everything is starting to die.
    The butterflies are dead, the moths are next, there is that last desperate push to to get the nuts and fruits grown on the trees and plants and there is that hint of decay on the evening air which gets colder and longer each day.
    Soon it will be autumn equinox and the dark will hold saw growing and lengthening for 3 months until Winter soltaice.

I lurve this time of year too. I love walking in the crisp autumnal air. And the dark's coming back...

I might bump that "Yay, the nights winning" thread :)

Songs that are goth that are not labelled as goth part 1: Release by Pearl Jam

SDooM wrote: »
    Songs that are goth that are not labelled as goth part 1: Release by Pearl Jam
    How? :confused:

Sorry I have been neglecting this thread. Just back. If you are out there Doomy what songs/bands would you label as Goth? Sisters of Mercy and Mortiis are two bands I can think of. Any more gems?

Switchblade Symphony. They're awesome.

Fields of the Nephilim! Fields of the Nephilim god damnit!!! :D

And Switchblade Symphony aren't bad either.

Since we are allowing music here, let's get started. From Norway, The Sins of Thy Beloved. This is a live performance of Lake of Sorrow. I think these guys sound bloody brilliant.

• Advertisement

some of Mortiis' stuffs awesome. Parasite God is such a good song.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

current 93 and dreams into dust, they'd never claim to be goths but thats the whole point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I'm interested in Gothic novels, very dark movies (not necessarily 'scary', but morbid/depressing) and I'm fascinated by castles and cathedrals. I'm drawn to the darker things in life, from music to the time of year ( autumn is my favorite season and I love Halloween). And. of course, I love night-time and I'm much more engaged and alert around this time. Yet, I wouldn't call myself 'goth'. I just don't like being labeled I guess. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I love castles. Childhood passion I never lost. :P

I love castles. Childhood passion I never lost. :P

Indeed. I'd love to travel to Romania, and see Vlad the Implaer's castle. It's a bit cliche, I guess, but cool all the same. :pac:

Acacia wrote: »
    Indeed. I'd love to travel to Romania, and see Vlad the Implaer's castle. It's a bit cliche, I guess, but cool all the same. :pac:

Been there. It's cool. But there are other castles and the like around the area that are incredible, really amazing stuff. Definitely worth a trip.

He's always struck me as a bit of an arsehole really. Took advantage of family deaths to murder lots of Turks. A lovely fella. :pac:

I'd love to see Kerak de Chevaliers, and a lot of the other ones in the Middle East.

Some nice ones in Ireland too actually.

He's always struck me as a bit of an arsehole really. Took advantage of family deaths to murder lots of Turks.

Seems like a ****ty thing to do. You never need an excuse to murder Turks. :D

I'm going to upload some piccies to a flickr folder, show you some real Romanian awesomeness.

I'm going to upload some piccies to a flickr folder, show you some real Romanian awesomeness.

I don't actually think he murdered his family, which'd be rare in medieval history. :p

And well the Ottomans weren't that friendly either. ^^

• Advertisement

Yay! I've always wanted to see Eastern European castles. :D

Advertisement