Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sons Of Anarchy [FX (US) -Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

i'm really undecided on this. I need to digest it a bit more...I've no idea what this means for Season 7 now..

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Would love for CCH Pounder to go full on Claudette Wimms in the first scene of next season by lecturing Jax on the "importance of maintaining a crime scene because that's how murderers go free son" :P

Overall a decent end to a decent season...as many have said losing Toric really messed things up for the writers but after a couple of dodgy episodes the show has recovered ok.

Looking forward to seeing where it all goes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Kettle316 wrote: »
    Would love for CCH Pounder to go full on Claudette Wimms in the first scene of next season by lecturing Jax on the "importance of maintaining a crime scene because that's how murderers go free son" :P

great, now i want to rewatch the shield. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

great, now i want to rewatch the shield. thanks.

DO IT!!!! I finished re watching the whole series a couple of weeks ago...I think it was my 3rd or 4th time watching it and it was still awesome. Last episode still gets me every time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 85,521 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I know not many were fans of hers, but I am gutted Tara was killed off by Gemma quite horrific too, Jax has to find out the truth next season

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I just thought of something. Jax has been caught in a very bad position here.

I can see it playing out that Jax has the death sentence held over him. Gemma has to confess or watch Jax die...."A mothers work is never done"

I also would have prefered if Tara went on her knees with a gun to the back of her head.

Also cardigans are now cool again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nothing is going to happen to Jax. There's no murder weapon for either body.

Nothing is going to happen to Jax. There's no murder weapon for either body.

Not only that but the second they take the bullets out of the sheriff and try to match then with Jax's gun any case comes crashing down. It was clear from how the scene played out that Sutter was hinting at the DA trying to put a case together.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Jax should be good, he's at the scene and no murder weapon for either killing, can't see how they are going to play out next season, which is a great way to have a series.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Despite a wobble in the middle of the season i thought it finished well,eps 12 & 13 being very strong. I tend to sit back and enjoy the show,not over analyse it. Some of the gun battles were reminiscent of one of my other favourite shows of all time,The A-Team. Almost cartoonish but that's the charm. We can all pick holes in it,whether action scenes or dialogue but in the end to me it's an enjoyable romp with constant double-crossing and surprises along the way.

We've had a plethora of excellent dialogue driven shows over the years,from the Soprano's to The Wire. Every other show is held up against these but SOA has it's own charm. The one thing i have missed is the banter between the lads whether at the clubhouse or on the road. There's been only a handful of such instances like Tigs desrciption of electrostimulation in ep 12 which had me in stitches.

Roll on S7,can't wait to see how Sutter plays out the final season.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

A half assed end to a half assed season. The plot really can't get any more stupid.

"I'm running away from a biker gang so I'll go sit in a park."

20 minutes of material fleshed out with music and long silences.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Wonder what will happen to juice.

Clearly knows Jax is not too pleased but cannot tell him what he did for his mother without ****ing the mother over. Will be another strong season of juice imo.

Also I feel happy should of been given more screen time throught the entire run. Seems like a character they never explored

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

The song from the last 5 minutes from that ...interesting season finale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

This past series of Sons of Anarchy has been something of a mixed bag. The early episodes showed so much promise and the set up was something a little more interesting than usual with Torric being the first real threat we've seen in the show in a number of years. Sadly with his passing all the intrigue, tension and fun was sucked out of the show and in the scramble to get things back on track Sutter and Co allowed the show to go completely off the rails, and not in the good way.

The series finale, A Mother's Work had the privilege of being feature length which isn't all that unusual in this day and age. What was unusual was the fact that Sutter felt that he needed the additional 30-40 minutes to tell his story considering that pretty much every episode this series has been at least 10 minutes too long. Not a single episode of series 6 justified it's extended run time and going in to the final episode expectations were low. Episode 12 was rather good by this series standards and as such a quiet optimism was in the air. Sadly, A Mother's Work ranks up there as one of the most tediously, self indulgent and banal episodes of TV in a long, long time. Not since the the horrors of series 3 and the scenes of Jax running around a poor looking Belfast has the show been so God awful.

The opening voice over and imagery lays on the symbolism thickly and the image of Jax running over a dove is perhaps the most ridiculous and heavy handed moment of television in 2013. Sitting by Opie's grave as Jax pens a letter to his children, one can't but fell like Sutter and his co-writers simply have no idea what it is they wasn't to do with the character. Jax has long been a tortured soul but this season his self indulgent whining has passed over into farce. There's no real sense that Jax is a trouble individual onscreen, it's all told through voice over which is a cheap tool used when the writers simply don't know how to show something. Juice has over this past season perfected the tortured soul look and it's a credit to the writing staff that they managed to do so through a few short moments. Compare the two performances and one is believable and humane whereas the other feels simplistic and juvenile with no real sense that there's anything going on beneath the surface.

Anyways, Jax's inner turmoil isn't what attracts us back week after week so lets get down to the basics. A Mother's Work has a number of interesting ideas but they're lost amongst a self indulgent mess that simply has no idea what it wants to say or do. The dialogue is cringe worthy and the melodrama is laughable. Silence is one of a writers greatest tools but here it feels like a craftsman with no idea how to use his tool. The majority of the episode is made up of pauses and it feels like, if one were to remove the pauses the episode would barely pass the 30 minute mark. Between pauses and shots of people looking serious there's not a whole lot to this finale. Sure the subject matter is worthy of contemplation but bar Jimmy Smits and CCH Pounder, no one is able to pull off their speeches or longing looks toward one another. Tara's story comes to a rather dull and expected end which would have been far more touching and unexpected had the first hour of the episode not gone out of it's way to clean up her mess and make it known to everyone bar one what a great gal she is. After weeks of setting up her exit, Sutter chokes in the final stretch, robbing her final scenes of any urgency of emotion.

Her death is shocking and the fact that Gemma is the one to end her is all the more so given that motherhood and protection of children is such an underlying theme to the show but it simply doesn't work. One can read quite a lot into the moment, Gemma is in effect killing herself and I'm sure that you could spend weeks analyzing the motivation and the act itself but it all feels so empty. It should have been a powerful moments whose consequence will be felt throughout series 7 but all in all it's just another in a never ending series of violent and shocking twists that exist solely to pile the misery atop Jax.

Getting back to Jax and throughout this episode he just felt underwritten. His decision to turn himself in made little sense beyond the writers desperately trying to redeem him a little. Jax has spent the series lamenting his violent actions yet week after week he's orchestrated violent act after violent act. Had the writers spend the earlier episodes indulging in Jax's guilt then the pay off could have been somewhat more interesting and hard hitting but like everything else in this series finale it went nowhere and felt tacked on.

Once again the highlight of the episode was Jimmy Smits as Nero. He brings a quiet dignity to a character who really is the shows emotional center. He's far more interesting than Jax or anyone else on the show and I hope that series 7 spends far more time on his inner turmoil, which is actually interesting. He's also quite the dapper dresser and has a fine line in snazzy looking cardigans which makes a nice change of pace from the general grubby, cum stained leather everyone else prefers.

All in all A Mother's Work ranks up there with the worst of the show. A tired, self indulgent and nonsensical 82 minutes of TV that never gets up and going. Performances are all rather good but the writing is just so poor that scenes such as the park encounter between Jax and Tara which should be amongst the shows most emotional and important fell like they'd be more at home in a mid afternoon soap. Were it not for the fact that I've been with the show for 6 years and the the upcoming seventh series is supposed to be the last I really couldn't see myself bothering with it anymore.

Are you describing you own very negative review?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Stabby stab stab stabby stab....that was some shocking stuff. But awesomely shocking.

In relation to Jax's weapon left on the ground, although not the murder weapon for Roosevelt, I wonder what else that pistol has been involved in.

They are going to find some other use of it and use that for Rico.

Nero attending the meeting with the Mayans and Chinese at the end has firmly showed how things are going to play out, just as was intimated a copuple of episodes ago, Black & White v Brown & Yellow. I guess we'll see that all kick off next season. And more of Juice's story, and Gemma probably getting some stabity stab treatment as well from the club. A members old lady, heck the presidents old lady is more highly regarded than a mother of the preisdent i think.

Overall digesting the seaon, they crammed a hell of alot into it. The stuff with Toric seems like an age ago......and timeline wise, Piney's murder was 3 months ago in the timeline, but 3 seasons ago for us.
    Heck, the school shooting at the begining of the seaon seems like something I watched a year ago.

I think we all mey have been very critical during the season, but after a rewatch of back to back veiewings, I'm sure it will have a better feel to it.

But, the one thing we all have to be thankful for, the Tara/Gemma scenes are now a thing of the past. AMEN.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

If only Jax updated his Facebook status.

PPSzYL8.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

lol
    i forgot that's exactly what happened to opies wife too

Are you describing you own very negative review?

Let me guess, a SoA fanboy who refuses to see the shows faults. The decision to craft an 80 minute episode was self indulgence on Sutter's part given that there was no reason for doing so and not enough material to fill a 40 minute episode. If you can't see how tired and nonsensical the show has got then obviously you can't look at it from a critical standpoint. The entire episode felt like a best of with no new ideas in play. It was a comfortable, generic and dull end of a series that has been pretty poor.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

To be honest, I'm an SoA fanboy, and I think it was dragged out way too much. Those silences where people are starring at each other. For example, when Roosevelt is told a few times to leave Jax/Tyne and Tara/Tyne alone while they talk in private, he stops and stares for a few moments, leaves, and then stops again momentarily.
    When Tyne comes into the ice cream shop, the amount of dead air is way over the top.

The finale was dragged out un-neccisarily, mainly so Sutter could add in all his imagery which would be pretty irrelivant overall. Like Gemma wahing the dishes at the start of the show.....if her washing the dishes was a recurrig theme, then maybe it would have some merit for her to do it one last time.

The dove after the opening credits, symbolic of peace being destroyed, but necessary? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Wow... I don't know what to say about that finale... I cannot make sense of it. I'm struggling to understand how that episode was intended to work. An epic ending alright, terribly so. Is next season the last one? If it is I will stick it out and see it through but if there's going to be more coming I'm not willing to put that time into the disappointment SoA has become. Very sad. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Tristram wrote: »
    Wow... I don't know what to say about that finale... I cannot make sense of it. I'm struggling to understand how that episode was intended to work. An epic ending alright, terribly so. Is next season the last one? If it is I will stick it out and see it through but if there's going to be more coming I'm not willing to put that time into the disappointment SoA has become. Very sad. :(

What did you struggle with? personally I thought it was very well done, finished off quite a few story arcs and if that had been the final season, I'd been happy with that for an ending!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,777 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what was Tara doing contacting her lawyer and then looking surprised when SOA turned up?

what was Tara doing contacting her lawyer and then looking surprised when SOA turned up?

She got a lawyer who specifically had no ties, and had been able to meet him previously without the gang rocking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,777 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Unser is to blame for all this, he is the worst

did Unser know what she did when she came over I suspect not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Poor feckin C-Note. And holy Christ but that murder scene was just pure shock and awe:eek: Amazing way to end the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

pajopearl wrote: »
    Poor feckin C-Note. And holy Christ but that murder scene was just pure shock and awe:eek: Amazing way to end the season.

Yeah I thought the same. I always thought Opie's death was the most memorable but poor Tara takes first prize now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Still think Opie's death was a beautiful piece of cinematography!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

What if this whole show has just been about Jax and Wendy getting back together?!

In all seriousness though, it was a good finale to a pretty lackluster season. The extra time in almost every episode just dragged things out too much, and Jax's plans were just such a calamity of errors and badly thought out that it's truly amazing more members didn't die. Jax has proven that he has f*ck all foresight.

Still though, Tara and Eli's deaths will definitely shake things up for the final season, so I'm still hopeful. And getting to see a lot of the brotherhood and camaraderie of the club this episode was something that's been kinda missing for a while. And with Tara gone, Gemma won't be able to threaten the hospital administrator next season. If anything, that should make Margaret a suspect in Tara's murder. Clear motive right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Let me guess, a SoA fanboy who refuses to see the shows faults. The decision to craft an 80 minute episode was self indulgence on Sutter's part given that there was no reason for doing so and not enough material to fill a 40 minute episode. If you can't see how tired and nonsensical the show has got then obviously you can't look at it from a critical standpoint. The entire episode felt like a best of with no new ideas in play. It was a comfortable, generic and dull end of a series that has been pretty poor.

no fanboy, ive criticized a lot each season, im just giving my opinion on that review. it was as if it was written for a low level college test.

• Advertisement

no fanboy, ive criticized a lot each season, im just giving my opinion on that review. it was as if it was written for a low level college test.

Tell you what, from now on why don't we all just throw up a sentence of two and leave it at that. Why bother spending a few minutes articulating your thoughts in any sense of depth when you can simply throw up something like, "omg, what a good episode of TV".

Advertisement