Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sons Of Anarchy [FX (US) -Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I was wondering why the Mayans were nowhere to be seen this season!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,501 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Part of me now just hopes they end it. Put a bullet in Jax's head and be done. Kill them all off and have Unser sitting in his caravan smoking joint just smiling at out living them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

In fairness, Tara leaving like that was to protect the club. I respect her more for taking that route than serving them up to the DA.

Initially I thought she would have left a note or contacted Jax asking for help but it seems she isn't going that route, she also didnt go to too much effort in fleeing so I'm not so sure shes done yet.

Nero holding back was hard to watch, I have a feeling that he's finished with the Sons and may back the Mayans even if he knows it's a bad idea with the Sons having Marks behind them.

Whatever happens in the finale, season 7 is going to be an absolute warzone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

A lot of hate in here but I still enjoyed it a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Jimmy Smits will make a great big bad next season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

The violence is SOA is a strange mixture of very bloody and gritty death and injury combined with very poorly choreographed gun battles.

In this episode we had guys shooting at the chinese with rifles while right behind the chinese was the SOA and the Van with the Irish in it.
    Like the guard at the robbery in the last episode.
    Just stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

tara learned from the best

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Thought it was a very good season overall. It picked up nicely in the final thrid.

Good story that lead nicely to next season. Some scenes were really ****e and as somebody said earlier some of the fight scenes were utter stupid.

If im being honest though my interest is waning. Kinda similar to Dexter (where the last twos seasons I had no interest in watching other than hoping it would reach Season 4 standards).

There are two more seasons in SOA imo, after that well the story will be told.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think this season was all about tying up loose ends and moving on along with uncertainty about the availability for some actors, Otto and Clay had no further use, Toric moving on quickly, the DA stepping up, Jax I felt might have been gotten rid of as well a couple of times, I wonder if that was anything to do with Charlie supposed to be doing 50 Shades.

As for the finale, I can't see Tara getting killed, I can't see her going on the run either as they've done that story line, I can see next season being an all out war between all the different factions, I can see Nero being very unhappy and kicking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Yeah I can see Nero having to pick sides, his new family or his old family(the gang). Next season could go very Shakespearean!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Man, Nero's the best damn character since Opie.

Jimmy Smits is just exceptional and I think that he's giving the best performance of his career. He's blown everyone else on the show away and his final scene with Jax was one of the most powerful things I've seen in a long time. Really just a magnificent performance and I cannot wait to see which side he picks

Episode 12 was a vast improvement on recent episodes and for the first time all series there was some weight to proceedings. The dynamic between Hax and Tara's respective land is interesting. For once everything Jax touches is turning to gold while nothing is going right for Tara. He plan to use the bullet to secure witness protection was smart and felt like the best bet for her but her loyalty to the club seems to have won over. It's obvious that she's not going to turn the club in as there's no way Sutter will allow the final series to take place behind bars. I'm expecting that things will work out for Jax and Tara to a lesser degree. If Sutter really had any balls he would kill off one of the kids and as such allow series 7 to have an out of control Jax. Things were never going to end well for Jax so an emotionally broken Jax could be interesting

Maggie Siff is a very good actress but she can't play demented or concerned very well. Compare her performance throughout this series to Juice's and they're worlds apart. Juice has been all over the place emotionally and his suicidal death wish has been really well handled and his breakdown this week was so well done. We believe that he's this fragile, emotional wreck whereas with Tara I've never got that sense off her.

Next weeks episode will be interesting. Sutter needs to end things on a high as overall this series has been poor. If he can shock us then all the better though to be honest, all I want is more Nero. Watching the show and I keep thinking that'll they focused the show more on him then it would be far better off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

2hr show this week directed by sutter himself.....its strange for a season i havent been happy with...i still watch regiously every week....dam you to hell sutter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

2hr show this week directed by sutter himself.....its strange for a season i havent been happy with...i still watch regiously every week....dam you to hell sutter

2hrs?!?! excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Probably 90 mins when the ads are taken out .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Next weeks episode will be interesting. Sutter needs to end things on a high as overall this series has been poor. If he can shock us then all the better though to be honest, all I want is more Nero. Watching the show and I keep thinking that'll they focused the show more on him then it would be far better off

I'm guessing "and Jimmy Smits" will replace "and Ron Perlman" in the opening credits next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

81 minutes....including the intro which is fairly long by modern show standards. Goes to show how much ads they cram in.

I saw it coming but that final scene was fairly shocking.

Judging by the setup they just did there and the direction they seem to be headed, next season will be the best ever in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Cracking episode

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

Take A bow Kurt brilliant next year will be manic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hopefully this means cch pounder will have a bigger role next season and channel a bit of the ol' claudette badassery from the shield

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    I'm guessing "and Jimmy Smits" will replace "and Ron Perlman" in the opening credits next season.

With a bit of luck he will be. He really is the stand out actor on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

What an ending. Why did they have to kill off C-Note aswell?:mad:

guttenberg wrote: »
    What an ending. Why did they have to kill off C-Note aswell?:mad:

Just a guess but he is in the Mentalist now and they didn't want what happened with Donal Logue happening again.

This past series of Sons of Anarchy has been something of a mixed bag. The early episodes showed so much promise and the set up was something a little more interesting than usual with Torric being the first real threat we've seen in the show in a number of years. Sadly with his passing all the intrigue, tension and fun was sucked out of the show and in the scramble to get things back on track Sutter and Co allowed the show to go completely off the rails, and not in the good way.

The series finale, A Mother's Work had the privilege of being feature length which isn't all that unusual in this day and age. What was unusual was the fact that Sutter felt that he needed the additional 30-40 minutes to tell his story considering that pretty much every episode this series has been at least 10 minutes too long. Not a single episode of series 6 justified it's extended run time and going in to the final episode expectations were low. Episode 12 was rather good by this series standards and as such a quiet optimism was in the air. Sadly, A Mother's Work ranks up there as one of the most tediously, self indulgent and banal episodes of TV in a long, long time. Not since the the horrors of series 3 and the scenes of Jax running around a poor looking Belfast has the show been so God awful.

The opening voice over and imagery lays on the symbolism thickly and the image of Jax running over a dove is perhaps the most ridiculous and heavy handed moment of television in 2013. Sitting by Opie's grave as Jax pens a letter to his children, one can't but fell like Sutter and his co-writers simply have no idea what it is they wasn't to do with the character. Jax has long been a tortured soul but this season his self indulgent whining has passed over into farce. There's no real sense that Jax is a trouble individual onscreen, it's all told through voice over which is a cheap tool used when the writers simply don't know how to show something. Juice has over this past season perfected the tortured soul look and it's a credit to the writing staff that they managed to do so through a few short moments. Compare the two performances and one is believable and humane whereas the other feels simplistic and juvenile with no real sense that there's anything going on beneath the surface.

Anyways, Jax's inner turmoil isn't what attracts us back week after week so lets get down to the basics. A Mother's Work has a number of interesting ideas but they're lost amongst a self indulgent mess that simply has no idea what it wants to say or do. The dialogue is cringe worthy and the melodrama is laughable. Silence is one of a writers greatest tools but here it feels like a craftsman with no idea how to use his tool. The majority of the episode is made up of pauses and it feels like, if one were to remove the pauses the episode would barely pass the 30 minute mark. Between pauses and shots of people looking serious there's not a whole lot to this finale. Sure the subject matter is worthy of contemplation but bar Jimmy Smits and CCH Pounder, no one is able to pull off their speeches or longing looks toward one another. Tara's story comes to a rather dull and expected end which would have been far more touching and unexpected had the first hour of the episode not gone out of it's way to clean up her mess and make it known to everyone bar one what a great gal she is. After weeks of setting up her exit, Sutter chokes in the final stretch, robbing her final scenes of any urgency of emotion.

Her death is shocking and the fact that Gemma is the one to end her is all the more so given that motherhood and protection of children is such an underlying theme to the show but it simply doesn't work. One can read quite a lot into the moment, Gemma is in effect killing herself and I'm sure that you could spend weeks analyzing the motivation and the act itself but it all feels so empty. It should have been a powerful moments whose consequence will be felt throughout series 7 but all in all it's just another in a never ending series of violent and shocking twists that exist solely to pile the misery atop Jax.

Getting back to Jax and throughout this episode he just felt underwritten. His decision to turn himself in made little sense beyond the writers desperately trying to redeem him a little. Jax has spent the series lamenting his violent actions yet week after week he's orchestrated violent act after violent act. Had the writers spend the earlier episodes indulging in Jax's guilt then the pay off could have been somewhat more interesting and hard hitting but like everything else in this series finale it went nowhere and felt tacked on.

Once again the highlight of the episode was Jimmy Smits as Nero. He brings a quiet dignity to a character who really is the shows emotional center. He's far more interesting than Jax or anyone else on the show and I hope that series 7 spends far more time on his inner turmoil, which is actually interesting. He's also quite the dapper dresser and has a fine line in snazzy looking cardigans which makes a nice change of pace from the general grubby, cum stained leather everyone else prefers.

All in all A Mother's Work ranks up there with the worst of the show. A tired, self indulgent and nonsensical 82 minutes of TV that never gets up and going. Performances are all rather good but the writing is just so poor that scenes such as the park encounter between Jax and Tara which should be amongst the shows most emotional and important fell like they'd be more at home in a mid afternoon soap. Were it not for the fact that I've been with the show for 6 years and the the upcoming seventh series is supposed to be the last I really couldn't see myself bothering with it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Tara gone is a good thing. Shame the Sheriff is gone too :(

Jimmy Smits is exceptional as usual

lertsnim wrote: »
    Tara gone is a good thing. Shame the Sheriff is gone too :(

Jimmy Smits is exceptional as usual

I'd have much preferred if Tara had killed Gemma. Going to be interesting to see how series 7 plays out but honestly I'm not sure I really care. The show needs to do something interesting and genuinely unexpected if it wants to go out on a high. Juice's role in the coming series is intriguing. It's clear that Jax wants him dead but after helping Gemma he may get a reprieve. The one thing series 7 really needs to do is make the show fun. The last series has been misery piled upon misery with no sense of wit or levity and as such it was hard to warm to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Oprahs_Vagina

I think people have been far too cynical or just too impatient for the grand series finale to happen for the last two seasons.

I think between attorney Patterson, Clay's comeuppance, Juice's descent into darkness, Nero's desire to move away from the gangster life, Jax's attempt to pull out of guns and go legit, conflict with the IRA, Brewing war between factions in Oakland, Tara's secret getaway plan, Gemma and Tara's final confrontation, the constant tension, I think season 6 has been thoroughly enjoyable.

Other than that, the ridiculous gun choreography, borderline 80's action flick shootouts, filler episodes such as episode 7 with that irrelevant tranny Venus need to be addressed. Donal Logue was far too hyped up aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I thought Juice was going to take the fall for Gemma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Oprahs_Vagina

The actual ending scene was done wrong, now that I think of it.

It's fairly feckin' obvious Jax's colt 1911 pistol wasn't used on Roosevelt and the show's star lead is hardly going to spend time inside for murder in the penultimate season.

Jax should have arrived on the scene with Patterson and the sheriffs already there IMO.

• Advertisement

I think people have been far too cynical or just too impatient for the grand series finale to happen for the last two seasons.

I think between attorney Patterson, Clay's comeuppance, Juice's descent into darkness, Nero's desire to move away from the gangster life, Jax's attempt to pull out of guns and go legit, conflict with the IRA, Brewing war between factions in Oakland, Tara's secret getaway plan, Gemma and Tara's final confrontation, the constant tension, I think season 6 has been thoroughly enjoyable.

Other than that, the ridiculous gun choreography, borderline 80's action flick shootouts, filler episodes such as episode 7 with that irrelevant tranny Venus need to be addressed. Donal Logue was far too hyped up aswell.

Nothing to do with impatience or cynicism and a whole lot to do with how poor the series was. Logue wasn't the least bit hyped up but his exit was where the show went down hill rather fast. There was a lot going on in series 6 but it all felt like it was tacked on. Tara's plan was stupid beyond belief and not once did I get swept up in it. There was absolutely no tension or suspense generated by any of it. Same goes for Jax and his getting out of guns. All he did all series was whine about the violence he had to commit all the while he was scheming to create greater acts of violence. It all felt so hollow and ill thought out on the writers part.

Advertisement