Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOVADO UMR - 3G USB router (For use with O2, Three & Vodafone)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Intersting IP address that (67.215.65.132) without looking into it too deeply its looks like you are doing your lookup on opendns and when the lookup fails then thats their responce. Put it another way you have opendns servers set for you dns servers somewhere.

Edit> You can look up the IP address you get at www.dnstuff.com

and your opendns responce using nslookup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

I got my new 3router on thurday and havnt had any problems since.
    it connected to 2 laptops ps3 and smartphone straight away
    my umr was 5 years old so i think it was just falling behind in technology

gillad wrote: »
    I got my new 3router on thurday and havnt had any problems since.
    it connected to 2 laptops ps3 and smartphone straight away
    my umr was 5 years old so i think it was just falling behind in technology

Glad to hear its working, to be sure to be sure can you confirm a couple of things to help nail down the UMR issue.

First did you get a B260a in the end

2nd What IP address do you get on either laptop at www.whatismyip.com?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

I got the b260a .the ip address is 178.167.212.196

gillad wrote: »
    I got the b260a .the ip address is 178.167.212.196

Thanks for that, the IP address shows your using the 3internet APN.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 boz4477

I was on 3ireland.ie all day
    At 1130 am the ip address was 178.167.182.30 and all was ok.
    At some stage the ip address changed to 92.251.145.45 and that caused the problem. I restarted the router from the laptop with no change to the settings, on the restart I got this ip address 92.251.147.23 at around noon and it was good all day until about 7pm and it failed with that same ip address. again i did a remote restart with no change to settings, I was assigned a new ip address 92.251.159.39 and all is ok again. The only thing to change was the ip address.

This is a long shot but it has worked for me for about 24 hours. Go into modem settings and where it has the APN remove what is there and leave blank, save setting and Restart, there will be an APN where you left blank, thats ok, the dongle has done that. I have been trying numerous settings over the weeks, some seem to be the solution but never are. this proparly isn't either, if it isn't iam off to dsl

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Commsoft

Hi, Liam Dowling here from Commsoft
    We supply and support Dovado Routers in Ireland
    Try 3netaccess as an APN.
    We have raised the continuous stream of Three Ireland issues with Dovado and they have promised to contact Three about them.
    We are testing a Three modem on a 4GR at the moment to try and identify the difference in behaviour between a laptop inserted 3 modem connection and a router inserted 3 modem. I'll post info on this early next week.
    The issues we know about so far, when using the modem in a Dovado router are ;
    Banking software slows to a crawl (mostly AIB)
    Total denial of service, using 3internet and 3ireland.ie APNS. Note: 3netaccess seems to resolve this issue in West/North Cork. We haven't verified this in other areas
    Drop outs in service/slow speeds.
    DNS resolution issues
    Can you post any other issues you know about or have encountered

There are no over the counter retailers of Dovado in Dublin. Commsoft is based in East Clare. We distribute Dovado routers in Ireland. You can buy one online at www.3g-router.ie
    Routers bought online are normally shipped same-day (when bought before 4pm) using AN Post Traceable Parcel Service. They are normally delivered the following postal delivery day

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DOVADO

Hi all,

From what we've heard from Commsoft, this problem doesn't seem to be uniform throughout the entire network, but in random pockets of geography. We will work together with Commsoft to pinpoint the issue and see if it's a question of adjusting any settings. Should that not work out, we shall escalate it a step higher.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi all (again),

In regards to issues related to Internet surf on 3's network, could you kindly file a ticket with us directly on http://www.dovado.com/contactsupport ?

We need ALL your information on our database so that we can have these examples when/if escalating further with 3 directly. This will help us tremendously in our investigation.

Many thanks!

DOVADO wrote: »
    Hi all,

From what we've heard from Commsoft, this problem doesn't seem to be uniform throughout the entire network, but in random pockets of geography. We will work together with Commsoft to pinpoint the issue and see if it's a question of adjusting any settings. Should that not work out, we shall escalate it a step higher.

Thanks

One thought which may or may not be useful?

Is there any commonality with the Huawei B260e? Like chipset or OS?

I ask as everytime "this" problem gets reported there seem to be very similar reports with the B260e but never afaik a problem with other routers?

Too late for me ordered dsl yesterday, despite getting a new modem a month ago in an attempt to solve this problem and signing a 12 month contract with 3 in the process. But i need wifi to work all of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

DOVADO wrote: »
    Hi all (again),

In regards to issues related to Internet surf on 3's network, could you kindly file a ticket with us directly on http://www.dovado.com/contactsupport ?

We need ALL your information on our database so that we can have these examples when/if escalating further with 3 directly. This will help us tremendously in our investigation.

Many thanks!

I am still having problems with aib internet banking and now logging on to Boards.ie. I tried that link for the ticket but its too complicated with all the info you have to put in.

Commsoft have been really good and they are really good people to deal with..

As far as I'm aware, this has been a problem on the Huawei E122 as well and possibly others. Have you tried the 3netaccess APN ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Finnt3

Most mobile broadband providers have wireless modem routers eg. http://www.three.ie/products_services/broadband/router.html

Finnt3 wrote: »
    Most mobile broadband providers have wireless modem routers eg. http://www.three.ie/products_services/broadband/router.html

That router can suffer exactly the same problem on 3's network that the Dovado does. The issue is location (mast) related so if a Dovado router fails in an area then there's a good chance the B260a will also. And no, I don't know why 3 are selling a router that has a know issue on their network but they are.

I tried 3netaccess as stated in an earlier reply, but to no avail. I don't remember reading any b260a problems like the dovado umr in recents posts, infact one poster solved this problem by getting the aforementioned. Regarding the modem being the root of the problem is incorrect as I had the problem with a 169g and changed to a 122 with no difference. However the problem is happening far less which may indicate that 3 is at the root of the problem, however the umr would seem at times uncompatable with 3. The connection tracker would solve it but it still is able to ping the address, but not connect.

boz4477 wrote: »
    I tried 3netaccess as stated in an earlier reply, but to no avail. I don't remember reading any b260a problems like the dovado umr in recents posts, infact one poster solved this problem by getting the aforementioned. Regarding the modem being the root of the problem is incorrect as I had the problem with a 169g and changed to a 122 with no difference. However the problem is happening far less which may indicate that 3 is at the root of the problem, however the umr would seem at times uncompatable with 3. The connection tracker would solve it but it still is able to ping the address, but not connect.

tbh I'm really not sure what the 3netaccess APN is supposed to do I don't think it does anything as I can get a connection with an APN 3sucks so my tests seem to show if the APN is wrong it either defaults to the 3ireland.ie APN or perhaps as others have suggested whatever info that can be read from the SIM?

When you say you have problems with the 169g and 122 do you mean plugged into your computer of plugged into your UMR?

The problem is definitely to do with 3 but they are never going to admit anything regarding the UMR but they have said there is a know issue with the B260a to one member here.

You'll find at least a couple of users, Lazybear and ComeraghBlue that have problems with the B260a 3G Gateway/Router in the Talk at Three forum thread here

The problems only arise when you plug the modem into the router. But after a month or so of trying to fix this with changing the settings on the router I believe that its a problem with 3 and changing the settings or restarting the router is only a temp fix.

• Advertisement

boz4477 wrote: »
    The problems only arise when you plug the modem into the router. But after a month or so of trying to fix this with changing the settings on the router I believe that its a problem with 3 and changing the settings or restarting the router is only a temp fix.

Nobody's arguing its not an issue with the 3 network, its still strange that it only affects certain routers like the UMR and its also strange that rebooting temporaily fixes the problem :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

For info. Just bought one of these and set it up.

Manual is poor. There should be easier instructions. Had no major issues apart from :

one laptop not being able to connect; traced to DNS queries not being able to route out; debugging it revealed VMWARE workstation was installed on the laptop and it sets up a default internal net on the laptop of 192.168.0.x which of course rerouted the nsquery. Using VMWARE network editor to change Net8 to be a different subnet solved the issue. This is of course nothing to do with the Dovado except insofar as the issue is an address range conflict but I thought I'd post it

Page 1 of the manual should be

base URL=default IP address, username and password to save digging for the darn thing.

Oh, and while configuring it via the Wizard, the wizard kept dropping off. Manual config worked just fine.

Nice bit of kit, seems to be good, well done, fast delivery, less than 24 hours from Clare to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

trellheim, what did you go for, the 3GN or the 4GR?

I just picked up a 4GR via adverts.ie. The only thing I'm worried about is the size of the antennas, which are non replaceable.. I hope I can get coverage over a good few of the house rooms.

Finger crossed about the '3 issue'.. but, given how congested the network is at the moment, I will probably change to Meteor, with their 20GB rolling 1 month contract.

4gr and an O2 E220 Those MIMO antennas seem to be fine. have the E220 on a long lead to reduce noise

I was going to look up MIMO and then I found that I hadn't enough maths but it seems 2 antennas are usually better than 1.

For many of you early adopters who have been eagerly awaiting 4G/LTE support on your DOVADO 4GR, we are happy to announce that it is now working very well with the completion of our latest firmware. Our current registered peak speed was 73Mbps on the downlink, with around 35Mbps on the uplink; making the DOVADO 4GR the fastest router in the world to support a 4G USB modem! So, congratulations on being amongst the first to experience that!

The first modem we have added support for is the Huawei E398 (available in several countries already), and we shall be exploring other models in the coming weeks and months as they enter the market. Unfortunately for those of you with Samsung 4G modems from Telia Sweden and Netcom Norway, we are unable to add support for this modem due to the lack of an official software driver and support from Samsung. Normally, we work directly with the support of the modem manufacturers when looking at something as new as 4G.

We would also like to point out that we have included a NAS (Network-Attached Storage) server functionality together with an embedded FTP (File Transfer Protocol) server in the DOVADO 4GR, allowing you to share your files at home amongst all your computers by attaching a USB storage device to one of the USB ports on the router. Quite nifty, indeed!

And for those of you who have experienced any inconveniences brought on by the WiFi in combination with an Apple iOS product (iPhone, iPad, etc) and/or laptop computers running Intel-based WiFi chipsets, we have put a lot of effort into resolving the problem.

A video showing all the features (old & new) is available on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s6l-bzGj9M

Kindly visit www.dovado.com/firmware to update your router.
    Thank you,

Team DOVADO

PS: Don’t forget to follow us on:
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/dovado (new)
    Facebook: www.dovado.com/facebook
    YouTube: www.youtube.com/dovado

that is nice is it just the one hard drive or can you plug in a stack connected to a hub or a RAID array ?

trellheim wrote: »
    that is nice is it just the one hard drive or can you plug in a stack connected to a hub or a RAID array ?

One per port, max 2 devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Modem: Meteor branded Huawei E182E (DC-Unlocker unlocked)
    Window > Huawei E182E > 5m USB cable > Dovado 4GR > Gigabit > PC

I can't SMS the Router, but the Router will happily send me SMS messages (more or less instantly) when it has been Reset etc..

I have tried with both Meteor and 3. I do not have problems sending SMS messages to the same SIMs, when insterted into the Huawei E585.

I had one, maybe two SMS messages get through with the Meteor SIM, but several hours later.. and the Router did not respond to Status commands etc.. the messages just sat in the inbox, as regular messages.

Any tips?

---

Just a question for any Dovado\Meteor Pre Pay users, can you send the SMS requests for Balance remaining and voucher code sumbit (credit top up), through the Dovado SMS interface?

How would I go about sending an SMS to the top up number (50103) and the Data Allowance remaining number. (50104).

Is there a special way to do it? I can't get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

Hi,
    I have successfully used this router for 3 years along with the E270 from O2 and I'd say 99% of the time it was stable and worked well. Sometimes it required a simple on/off action.

But in the last few weeks I've experienced problems connecting to the router from the various PC's/laptops in the house.

I can wirelessly get to the configuration page but I can't get to it when wired to it. The cables are fine as I tested them. The LAN LED's are displaying and when I take out the cable they disappear which leads me to believe the laptop is actually connected to the router.

Also now the Router does not connect to the E270. I've done various resets and upgraded the firmware. The details are below; Any suggestions?

Product Name: Dovado UMR
    Serial Number: 16a6100986
    Product Number: 629110327005-4
    LAN MAC-address: 00:16:A6:10:09:86
    WAN MAC-address: 00:16:A6:10:09:87
    Product Revision: 1.0
    Reported Download Status:
    USB Modem: Huawei 3G
    Firmware Revision: 4.2.5.2543 official
    Firmware build date: 2010-07-20T13:54:01Z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gan23

@Dovado,
    I have been using the 3GN router with my O2 sierra stick for about 12 months now and I want to upgrade to the new faster O2 broadband plus. I will need to change my modem to a Huawei E353. Will the 3GN router support this modem with a firmware upgrade??
    I am using Firmware 4.2.5
    Thanks

Advertisement