Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOVADO UMR - 3G USB router (For use with O2, Three & Vodafone)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Hi Gerry. I think I was talking to yourself earlier about the 4G I got this morning. I have all up and running now. Thanks very much for the help its a great piece of kit. Merry xmas to you..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

Again Gerry
    Thanks for the quick response. Yeah that was exactly what I was on about. I received my HDD today (iomega Network media drive) and it works perfectly with the modem.

thanks again for your help

Ger
    Commsoft wrote: »
    Hi Ger

I had a search through this thread - were you talking about this post?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58510320&highlight=Storage#post58510320

Here watty is discussing USB drives. An ethernet-based NAS will work fine with the UMR.

Post a link or make/model of the NAS you have in mind to be sure.

Regards

Gerry, Commsoft Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 juergen

Hi!

I'm also interested in connecting an USB Drive to my 4GR Router or ecen an USB printer. Do you already know when the firmware will be available for the USB disk?
    Another thing to imlement would be a wlan schedule, which allows to switch the wlan off during the night. In these "green" times this feature would be a good advantage. I got my router a few days ago and like it, although there are not so much things to set then in a D-Link router (except automation settings).

Congratulations to the developers so far!:)

Thanks, Juergen

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Commsoft

juergen wrote: »
    I'm also interested in connecting an USB Drive to my 4GR Router or ecen an USB printer. Do you already know when the firmware will be available for the USB disk?
    Another thing to imlement would be a wlan schedule, which allows to switch the wlan off during the night. In these "green" times this feature would be a good advantage. I got my router a few days ago and like it, although there are not so much things to set then in a D-Link router (except automation settings).

Congratulations to the developers so far!:)

Thanks, Juergen

Hi Juergen

The v5.x firmware for the 4GR is currently in beta-test.

New features include:

modem auto-configuration
    NAS/FTP server
    User management
    WLAN Authentication revamp
    more modems

Regards

Gerry, Commsoft Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DOVADO

Hi all,

I'm investigating a case we got here from a customer in Ireland who says he's experiencing a very iffy Internet connection via our router+modem. However, in this case, he's also got a Nextivity 3G Repeater which was provided by 3/Three.

I have advised the customer to do another test without that repeater switched on, or at a different location. Reading the other Boards discussions surrounding this topic, I learned that the repeater mostly serves the improvement of voice call quality due to the signal boost, but very little is mentioned about what roll it plays in regards to delivery of data.

I would like to know if there are any other folks here who have such a combination, and could shed a bit more light on their experience with the Nextivity repeater.

Thank you and Happy New Year / Gott Nytt År! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

DOVADO wrote: »
    I would like to know if there are any other folks here who have such a combination, and could shed a bit more light on their experience with the Nextivity repeater.
    I used to have that setup.

When the National Broadband Scheme was "installed" in our house by an engineer, they installed a Cell-Fi and things became faster.

Then within a month or two later, the modem would see a 3 signal but could never connect/authenticate (that was the error when I plugged the modem into the computer).

Then I found I could only ever connect to the internet when the Cell-Fi was OFF. And I had better speeds than ever.

So what I think was happening: The CellFi learned about one base station far away and initially boosted speeds. Then I suspect a new mast came on near me (which is why I had better speeds later) but it was still locked to the other cell and just started blocking out the signal of the nearby mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Hi all,

I'm investigating a case we got here from a customer in Ireland who says he's experiencing a very iffy Internet connection via our router+modem. However, in this case, he's also got a Nextivity 3G Repeater which was provided by 3/Three.

I have advised the customer to do another test without that repeater switched on, or at a different location. Reading the other Boards discussions surrounding this topic, I learned that the repeater mostly serves the improvement of voice call quality due to the signal boost, but very little is mentioned about what roll it plays in regards to delivery of data.

Thank you and Happy New Year / Gott Nytt År! :-)

Hi Gerry

I have the 3GN and am using a Vodafone K3765.
    I have noticed that I often cant get a steady signal when in the router, but when I plug direct into My computer, it connects all the time (very Low signal and shocking service) but it connects

Would there be a power problem with the USB port, the dongle seems to be in the device very precariously and feels very loose. Pic attached

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

Hi

I have a dovado 3gn linked to the net with and O2 dongle.I have configured it with my DYNDNS account which updated succeefully and I configured it for remote access from the Internet using both standard and port 80.
    I can use the dovado to surf the net perfectly but I cannot access the device remotely from the net (Firefox give me a timeout issue and IE gives a not available issue).

Does O2 support inbound routing on their mobile devices?

Can anybody help?

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭skar

tomc wrote: »
    Hi

I have a dovado 3gn linked to the net with and O2 dongle.I have configured it with my DYNDNS account which updated succeefully and I configured it for remote access from the Internet using both standard and port 80.
    I can use the dovado to surf the net perfectly but I cannot access the device remotely from the net (Firefox give me a timeout issue and IE gives a not available issue).

Does O2 support inbound routing on their mobile devices?

Can anybody help?

Regards

I think your problem is that some providers just blocks port 80.
    What you should try:
    a: first change the port on your 3GN from 80 to something 8080 or 8888 or any you like.
    b: then go into yours dynamic DNS site and look for option to redirect port 80 to your port 8080 or whatever you set in 3GN
    c: then in browsers address field type <dnsname>:<port>
    for example:
    mydns:8080
    ipaddres:8080 (where "ipaddress" change to your ip)

I hope that helps
    Remi

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

Hi Remi

Many thanks for your quick reply :-)

I dont think it is a port 80 issue as I had first set the Dovado to its default port (cant remember offhand) and only after this did not work I set it to 80?

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭skar

I suppose that you have tried to ping yours dynDNS name and got reply with exactly the ip which is in yours 3GN status window (if not then you never will be able to reach your router). did you tried telnet to you routers ip port?
    PM me ...as we can go more thorough through this :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Hi DOVADO team,

I've been happily using the UMR for 2 years now (though not so happy with 3-irelands speeds), but have recently run into a roadblock.
    I have a new netbook and last night I noticed the connection to the router was very flaky. I was transferring a file between netbook on wifi and desktop which is on the wired lan. The file transfer kept dropping and I looked at the wireless performance in task manager, I could see it being very choppy. If I stood right beside the UMR, the performance was fine.

This morning the performance was also fine in any room in the house.
    I narrowed it down to the baby monitor which I believe works on the 2.4GHz spectrum.

So my question is, is there a way to boost transmit/receive power on the UMR, or is there a particular wifi channel that is less susceptible to 2.4GHz 'noise'?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Hi Dovado,
    I use my old dovado umr for all computers and consoles but it sometimes wont let me connect to xbox live, saying my NAT settings are moderate and they should be open. Is it possible to change these settings to open :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

ShaunC wrote: »
    Hi Dovado,
    I use my old dovado umr for all computers and consoles but it sometimes wont let me connect to xbox live, saying my NAT settings are moderate and they should be open. Is it possible to change these settings to open :confused:

You forgot to mention your ISP but changing your APN might help see here you need a PUBLIC IP address for the type of NAT you want for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I had the a UMR working for a year with an o2 dongle, and shelved it when I switched to UPC. A friend asked me if he could have it for his 3 dongle, I called over to him last night, upgraded the UMR's firmware, ran the wizard to set it up for 3, and it connected fine. Problem is it's disconnecting every 2 minutes or so.

I had the a UMR working for a year with an o2 dongle, and shelved it when I switched to UPC. A friend asked me if he could have it for his 3 dongle, I called over to him last night, upgraded the UMR's firmware, ran the wizard to set it up for 3, and it connected fine. Problem is it's disconnecting every 2 minutes or so.

Sounds like you're using possibly a wrong APN or some wrong setting somewhere. Check your settings with the modem directly in the PC and then place those setting in your router. I'm extremely confident that the router is capable of more than just 2 minutes of uptime! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Hi William, All I can tell you is that I have Vodafone mobile broadband. I am not very technically minded I tend to plug it in and hope it works.... NOW give me a hammer and I can talk....:D

Sounds like you're using possibly a wrong APN or some wrong setting somewhere. Check your settings with the modem directly in the PC and then place those setting in your router. I'm extremely confident that the router is capable of more than just 2 minutes of uptime! :-)

Checked all the settings, APN is correct, connection tracker is on, and it's still disconnecting every few minutes and has to redial. It's a Huawei E122, on 4.2.1 firmware and the UMR also has the latest firmware. I've it set to use either 3g or 2g, and when it is connected, it works fine.

Is there anything else I can try? The UMR is in a friends house now, so it's difficult for me to pop in and out and try different options, so if you could recommend a lot of things to try at once, I'd appreciate it.

Checked all the settings, APN is correct, connection tracker is on, and it's still disconnecting every few minutes and has to redial. It's a Huawei E122, on 4.2.1 firmware and the UMR also has the latest firmware. I've it set to use either 3g or 2g, and when it is connected, it works fine.

Is there anything else I can try? The UMR is in a friends house now, so it's difficult for me to pop in and out and try different options, so if you could recommend a lot of things to try at once, I'd appreciate it.

The latest and final firmware for the UMR is version 4.3.3. Are you saying that you have 4.2.1?

www.dovado.com/firmware

• Advertisement

The UMR is on the final firmware, the Huawei is on the firmware above. Since typing the last message, I've had about 10 disconnections and redials despite there being 72% 3g coverage. The same modem directly into the computer works fine.

Turns out it's an issue with that specific modem. I replaced it with an older ZT modem, and it worked without altering settings. Might be one for the support team to investigate.

Turns out it's an issue with that specific modem. I replaced it with an older ZT modem, and it worked without altering settings. Might be one for the support team to investigate.

What was the exact firmware version on that E122 USB modem? It is reported on the MODEM->MODEM STATUS page of your router.

Thanks

I've no way of finding out now I'm afraid, I won't be back there for a few weeks at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Already posted a question below, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056185316 but maybe should have been in this thread

Would this thing work with my dovado?
    http://www.vodafone.ie/mobilephoneservices/suresignal/

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Already posted a question below, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056185316 but maybe should have been in this thread

Would this thing work with my dovado?
    http://www.vodafone.ie/mobilephoneservices/suresignal/

This is an IP-based Femtocell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femtocell), like a miniature 3G base station for your home. I'm familiar with the product concept in general, but have no first-hand experience of using one. The basic idea with such a device is that you plug it into your fixed broadband connection at home (ADSL, Cable, etc) and that device serves as a mini 3G base station for all your mobile phones and other 3G devices. You can define your client access list so that nobody outside your home uses it, and all your 3G traffic will be piped across the Internet towards their network core, where it breaks out as a regular voice/data call.

Oh by the way, watch the Vodafone video presentation about this product: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSg28cbIXOk

You gotta love what they say about the initial setup time.......

Hi,
    Just wondering is 19% signal strength (3G) okay?. I've just today changed from the umr to the 4gr and I can't remember whether or not it was the same with the umr. My broadband speed seems to be the same (approx 1-2mb). If the signal strength was higher would I get better broadband speeds. If so Is there anything I can do to improve it?

Thanks

jonseyblub wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering is 19% signal strength (3G) okay?. I've just today changed from the umr to the 4gr and I can't remember whether or not it was the same with the umr. My broadband speed seems to be the same (approx 1-2mb). If the signal strength was higher would I get better broadband speeds. If so Is there anything I can do to improve it?

Thanks

Our typical recommendation is to try to stay above 20% in order to maintain a stable connection. It gets very erratic when diving below that line, and you'll very likely experience frequent disconnects as a result, let alone the possibility of more bandwidth and smooth flow of data packets.

There is an entire industry dedicated to improving signal of 3G USB modems, with all kinds of price ranges. I have seen everything from a €3 spaghetti strainer + duct tape, to a €200 top-of-the-line active antenna with USB modem dock.

One tip I can give you is that although many modems have an external port, you're actually better off in NOT using it on certain brands, such as Huawei. If you use a Sierra Wireless modem, then the internal antenna will disconnect as soon as you insert an external one. With Huawei, both are active, but then you'll get issues and very little difference.

My personal fave antenna for USB dongles is this one: http://www.fwd-online.de/index.php/en/schnelles-internet/aktive-antenne.html

This product is actively discussed here in Sweden: (run the 3 pages through Google Translate) http://www.mobilabredband.se/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2316

Thanks for that. The signal has since risen to 41% and the broadband speeds still seem okay, so I'm not going to mess with something that aint broken. One other question. Is there any way I can see the speed of the wireless LAN within my house. The reason I bought the 4gr was that I recently bought an apple TV and the umr was useless for streaming hd movies from my computer . Now while the 4gr does a much better job it still seems to be a little jumpy. BTW I'm not streaming directly from the internet, I download the movies first and then stream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Our typical recommendation is to try to stay above 20% in order to maintain a stable connection. ...

It would be nice to know what exactly 100% represents exactly and how it compares with the minimum recommendation of 20%?

Advertisement