Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOVADO UMR - 3G USB router (For use with O2, Three & Vodafone)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DOVADO

jonseyblub wrote: »
    Thanks for that. The signal has since risen to 41% and the broadband speeds still seem okay, so I'm not going to mess with something that aint broken. One other question. Is there any way I can see the speed of the wireless LAN within my house. The reason I bought the 4gr was that I recently bought an apple TV and the umr was useless for streaming hd movies from my computer . Now while the 4gr does a much better job it still seems to be a little jumpy. BTW I'm not streaming directly from the internet, I download the movies first and then stream.

Our coming 5.0 firmware for the 4GR will have significant improvements for Apple iOS devices in particular. There were reports of iPads and iPhones (Broadcom-based WLAN chipsets) freezing up their Internet connection after a certain period. We confirmed this in our tests as well and have upgraded the WLAN driver in the coming firmware. It is now very stable. The same went for computers with Intel-based WLAN chipsets.

However, if it's speed you want, then you should definitely make sure all your network clients are capable of 802.11n and boost up the frequency bandwidth on your 4GR to 40MHz (default is 20). You can do that on the WLAN->ADVANCED PROPERTIES page. That should give you a significant boost. Remember, the chain is only as strong as the weakest link. If you have active 802.11b or 802.11g devices on the same network, then they'll drag down the rates to their level.

It would be nice to know what exactly 100% represents exactly and how it compares with the minimum recommendation of 20%?

100% is typically what you get when your 3G base station is extremely close and practically in plain sight. Not too many get that. :-)

It doesn't mean that you'll get superduper speeds since there are possibly other users on the same station who are also occupying that shared capacity; but you will have a lot less packet loss and your average speed rates will very likely be a couple of grades higher than those who have worser signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

Thanks again for the reply. Any idea when the new firmware will be released?

jonseyblub wrote: »
    Thanks again for the reply. Any idea when the new firmware will be released?

March......................-ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

i`ve been using my umr with a three dongle for a few years with no problem.today i couldnt get online.i plugged the modem into the laptop and it works fine.....the lights on the umr tell me its connected and all other info says its connected..i`v upgraded to the latest firmware .i`v done a ping test and the internal ping test is ok but the external ping test failed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

gillad wrote: »
    i`ve been using my umr with a three dongle for a few years with no problem.today i couldnt get online.i plugged the modem into the laptop and it works fine.....the lights on the umr tell me its connected and all other info says its connected..i`v upgraded to the latest firmware .i`v done a ping test and the internal ping test is ok but the external ping test failed

Not with 3 are you?

everything is workin again today.think it was an issue with three

• Registered Users Posts: 1 befaq

Hi,
    I'm using a 3GN router with a Huawei E220 on O2.
    I have the router configured with a port forward for telenet access to a device on the 3GN LAN.
    This works fine but after a day or so the 3GN is not reachable.
    I have connection monitoring enabled to reset and restart and it worked ok when I tested it.

I could not reach the 3GN today after the weekend, i sent a RESTART sms and it took 2hours for the unit to restart.
    Signal is at 62% or so.

have you seen this type of behaviour before? Is the E220 a good modem to use?

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 wohlgetan

Hi!

Last friday I got a replacement 3GN for a faulty device and finally most seems to work as expected.

Just one thing... the traffic counter reset for a given day of a month.

At somewhat after 10 pm on 2011-03-07 I set the reset day to the 8th of any given month and restarted the 3GN. Now it is 00:39 on 2011-03-08 and there was no reset.

What am I missing?

thanks in advance, wohlgetan

Hi!

just realized I posted in the UMR thread with a 3GN question. Sorry for being offtopic.

Since I wasn't able to delete or edit the post itself fyi a fup:

The support checked and confirmed, probably a bug in the firmware itself. Should be fixed in the next release.

They wasn't aware of this issue until now.

Salve! Wohlgetan.

PS: Any mod reading this? Feel free to delete this and my earlier post, tia!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

DOVADO wrote: »
    Our coming 5.0 firmware for the 4GR will have significant improvements for Apple iOS devices in particular. There were reports of iPads and iPhones (Broadcom-based WLAN chipsets) freezing up their Internet connection after a certain period. We confirmed this in our tests as well and have upgraded the WLAN driver in the coming firmware. It is now very stable. The same went for computers with Intel-based WLAN chipsets.

Would this explain the reason why the internet on my iphone is very erratic while its fine on my mac.? My router is upstairs and there are times when the wifi signal on the phone is very weak downstairs. This never happened with the umr.

Edit: Dont mind erratic. It just refuses to work this weekend for some reason. I checked my old umr and the iphone worked perfectly with that so its definitely a 4gr problem. Could it be a settings problem? What should they be?

Hi all!

New firmware update for the 3GN model. This firmware (5.0.0) supports our first 4G/LTE USB modem, the Huawei E398.

A similar update for the 4GR will be available in a few weeks time, offering a few more nifty features!

http://www.dovado.com/firmware

our 4G website: http://www.dovado.com/4G

Cheers!

Team DOVADO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

I've plugged in a hard drive to the USB port of my UMR but although I can see the files, none will play on the network. Am I doing something wrong or does it not support external hard drives?

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    I've plugged in a hard drive to the USB port of my UMR but although I can see the files, none will play on the network. Am I doing something wrong or does it not support external hard drives?

No, it does not support this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Dr. Nick wrote: »

You can do that kind of thing on OpenWRT. (Not suitable for Dovado).

But honestly it's a bad idea. No Router has the spare bandwidth and CPU power. We even used a separate switch and only used one Ethernet port on our Router when we still used a commercial model.

You're better with a dedicated NAS or server to play files on a Network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

DOVADO wrote: »
    No, it does not support this.

Thanks. I didn't think it WOULD work but then when I could see the files I thought it might.

wohlgetan wrote: »
    The traffic counter doesn't reset on a given day of a month.

At somewhat after 10 pm on 2011-03-07 I set the reset day to the 8th of any given month and restarted the 3GN. Now it is 00:39 on 2011-03-08 and there was no reset.

The support checked and confirmed, probably a bug in the firmware itself. Should be fixed in the next release.

fyi or an update:

Installed the new firmware, read the releas notes.txt, tried it, no change.

Asked the support, was told it wasn't adressed in the 5.0.0 firmware, the request came too late.

Maybe next firmware.

bye, wohlgetan

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Anyone having any issues with umr on Vodafone today? My connection has completely packed up. Oddly cannot access umr from pc in firefox but can connect via safari on iPhone. No Vodafone connection - have tried many resets this eve and even a restore to factory settings and reconfigured my WLAN. Still no dice. Hope it's just a Vodafone glitch else I'm in trouble! :-( posting here from phone in case anyone has any magic insight to impart...?!

Edit: firmware 4.2.5. Also reporting 41% 3G signal but the dreaded red 'light' persists no matter what I do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Hi Dovado.

I have a 4GR that is giving a few problems on me. Its blocking some sites like Aib internet banking and more.

It wont work at all now and I checked the router and its red hot..

I plugged it out and I am using the 3 dongle in my laptop and I can access all my sites on it.

Its only 4 months old..

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Hi Dovado.

I have a 4GR that is giving a few problems on me. Its blocking some sites like Aib internet banking and more.

It wont work at all now and I checked the router and its red hot..

I plugged it out and I am using the 3 dongle in my laptop and I can access all my sites on it.

Its only 4 months old..

This could be an MTU issue. You can correct it by going to the SYSTEM->NETWORK SETTINGS page, and then select "3G General" as the profile. Save and Restart.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Hi Dovado,

I have a problem with the UMR router. I am on 3 (ireland), and have the router connected to a desktop on the LAN port (linux), and 2 laptops (one windows vista and the other windows 7). Everything was working fine until recently.

Right now, just 1 laptop will connect to the internet, and the other laptop (win 7) and the linux desktop both cannot browse the internet - but the strange thing is they can still ping internet servers, like www.google.com, www.yahoo.com, but the browsers will not work with any websites.
    Another strange thing is the 'google auto suggest' feature still works also in the browsers, i.e. if I start to type in something I have not searched for before, the auto suggest feature will suggest something, which I suppose means this is communicating with google, as it could not have been cached by the browser.

The problem is also strange in that since it happened, one time, for a few hours, everything was fine again - all computers working, but the next day, the situation reverted, and again only 1 laptop can access the internet.

I tried to check that DHCP was giving the same info to all machines (and it seems to be - it's basically setting DNS/DHCP/Default Gateway to 192.168.0.1 on all platforms, and a unique ip to each machine, and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

Logging into the router itself works from all machines.
    UMR firmware is 4.3.3

Is there anything you can think of that the router could be doing that would block general web traffic to some machines, but allow pings, and perhaps UDP (I'm guessing the google suggest uses UDP...and that TCP is 'blocked' - but this is a pure guess)

Any help would be fantastic!

I have a problem with my umr like the post above.I am with 3 and lately my umr has being blocking most sites and lets me log into some.the only way to get it to work properly is to reset it which i have to do every morning and then i have to set up all the security again. I have 2 laptops and sometimes one can get online and the other cant...there is a few posts here lately with similar problems of blocking sites. 3 works perfect without the router

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

I don't know if this helps or not - but I think it may have something to do with the DNS settings that the three server assigns the modem / router.

All laptops/desktops were working fine today, until a few hours ago - when the same problem re-surfaced. I restarted the router, but no good. I then edited the router settings, under system->DNS->custom DNS settings. I then copied in the DNS that three is assigning into box 1 (83.136.47.249) and a DNS from openDNS into box2 (as a backup), 208.67.222.222, saved and rebooted - and I'm back online. I'd be interested to hear if this works for others.

I don't know why one laptop always worked the entiere time, despite the others being offiline - but maybe it was caching a 'good' DNS, or something?

If it is the issue, then congrats to three for the dodgy DNS, is there any part of 'broadband' they can't mess up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 boz4477

have the same problem for a month, will try your solution. The only way I found to get back online was to change the APN, it works for a while maybe hours sometimes a day and then you have to change it again. Its a pain. Don't know why this works but it is not sustainable.:confused:

boz4477 wrote: »
    have the same problem for a month, will try your solution. The only way I found to get back online was to change the APN, it works for a while maybe hours sometimes a day and then you have to change it again. Its a pain. Don't know why this works but it is not sustainable.:confused:

Looks like the last few issues here might be more related to 3's crap service than the UMR?

tails_naf wrote: »
    I don't know if this helps or not - but I think it may have something to do with the DNS settings that the three server assigns the modem / router.

All laptops/desktops were working fine today, until a few hours ago - when the same problem re-surfaced. I restarted the router, but no good. I then edited the router settings, under system->DNS->custom DNS settings. I then copied in the DNS that three is assigning into box 1 (83.136.47.249) and a DNS from openDNS into box2 (as a backup), 208.67.222.222, saved and rebooted - and I'm back online. I'd be interested to hear if this works for others.

I don't know why one laptop always worked the entiere time, despite the others being offiline - but maybe it was caching a 'good' DNS, or something?

If it is the issue, then congrats to three for the dodgy DNS, is there any part of 'broadband' they can't mess up?

i`v tried the custom dns settings but it didnt help.still blocking some sites
    i can fix it with a reset everytime and when it comes back the apn is always 3internet instead of the prefered 3ireland.ie
    cant understand how it lets some sites load and not others ???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 boz4477

Not sure it is entirely 3s fault. I have tried a number of things which get you online. Firstly if you plug the dongle directly into the laptop it works perfectly. Another option is to use a different dongle with the same sim and APN in the UMR and that works for a while and then when that fails just swap them back again, rebooting the umr also works for a while, but restarting the umr does not fix the problem, unless you change a setting in the process. I can access my emails on windows mail, it will tell me how many messages I have but won't download them. It will ping sites but no internet access. I am trying the solution mentioned above and so far so good.

boz4477 wrote: »
    Not sure it is entirely 3s fault. I have tried a number of things which get you online. Firstly if you plug the dongle directly into the laptop it works perfectly. Another option is to use a different dongle with the same sim and APN in the UMR and that works for a while and then when that fails just swap them back again, rebooting the umr also works for a while, but restarting the umr does not fix the problem, unless you change a setting in the process. I can access my emails on windows mail, it will tell me how many messages I have but won't download them. It will ping sites but no internet access. I am trying the solution mentioned above and so far so good.

There used to be a problem that took 3 ages (4 months or more) to sort out for users of the UMR, B260a and a some other routers when using the 3internet APN, if you changed to the 3ireland.ie APN it all worked. The problem seemed to occur when you add another hop via the router, I'd love to know the reason but 3 wern't telling anyone.

From what you say I'd be intersted to know if there was a problem with the PSU on your UMR or if any UMR's had suffered with problems with bad capacitors? Only a wild guess but your problem sounds like it could be caused by a power issue (remember I did say wild guess).

I also have the UMR connected to 3 using the public apn.

I haven't experienced any drop outs, though I have to say it isn't my primary internet connection in my house, I have it connected to a Win Server 2008 and primarily use it to RDP into and turn it on remotely and I haven't noticed any difficulties, though as I have mentioned I don't use it that often as I have a 30MB UPC connection which I use for general use.

My Setup is as follows;

Firmware Revision: 4.3.3.3147
    Modem internal model: E122
    Modem firmware: 11.005.00.04.21
    Access Point Name: 3internet

Allocated by 3 Dongle:
    IP DNS Server:83.136.47.249

Hope the above helps, and if anyone wants me to test certain sites or try to recreate the difficulties that they are experiencing, just let me know.

Just did a speedtest over the wireless to my mac and here's the results.

1292548025.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Are there any over-the-counter Dovado retailers in the Dublin area?

Advertisement