Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood risk: Overnight and into Saturday 16th.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

It looks like we may get another run of heavy rain later in Dublin judging by the way that really heavy clump of rain in the west is moving around the low right now. Certainly unless it breaks up it looks like Louth could get someting later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

A shower, 1.5mm, total 49.8mm since midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Jesus thats serious Mothman, what kind of rainfall is expected in Leinster in the next 24 hours? Some flooding a the moment around Carlow but not too bad although more rain and we could have some real problems

Have a garden stream, and surprising how quick its risen since rain has stopped. 2nd highest level its been in past 10 years and is over the top of a bridge.
    Its usually about 150mm deep, currently nearly a metre!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

crushproof wrote: »
    DART line in Dun Laoghaire at 17.00 today

phone008we9.th.jpg

phone007uy3.th.jpg

You cant really see but the water is actually flowing fairly fast. Sorry i couldnt get a photo of the train thats stuck, couldnt get a good shot!

Wow, thats amazing!
    54.9mm in Bray since midnight and much much more up here in North Antrim, it hasn't stopped raining all day!

• Advertisement

My stream has started falling.
    Took to the bicycle to have a look at Vartry. Not exceptional but a good sight. Water level in Mount Usher Garden just over 1 metre, was probably 2.5m after Charley. I'm sure it'll rise overnight as the mountain waters make their way down. Saw sandbags being put down to protect building in Ashford

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

24.9mm for today so far, just under an inch. The lake formed but not as bad as last week up the cul de sac again but the worring thing for the neighbours was a healthy SE wind driving the water up and into the gardens even though the driveways are on a downslope.

Looks like that shower has Wicklow written on it.

May just be enough to create station records for 00-24h and 09-09z totals

Former currently 49.8mm, 53.0mm to beat, latter 39.9mm, 46.9mm the target

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Duiske wrote: »
    Don't know how much rain we have had here in Graignamanagh, Co. Kilkenny over the past few hours, but we have the most serious flooding to hit the town in years.
    The river burst its bank at 3 or 4 places, and flooded every shop and home on the main street.
    Absolutely unreal !!

Hello Duiske. That's absolutely dreadful. It has been in the news. Do you have any pictures? I remember seeing photos of a serious flood in Graig many years ago when the Duiske overflowed down the Main Street and the Barrow waters flowed up to meet it, but there was a gap in the middle with no flood water. Did that not happen this time? I don't think there were any floods quite as bad as that until now. I feel sorry for anyone living near the quay or at the bottom of the Barrow Lane. I hope things get back to normal soon, and I hope the drainage is better there than it is here in Celbridge. It has been a disaster here last weekend and today. I don't know what it's like down the village now as the rain has stopped.

Even before the next batch of rain to come tomorrow-look whats advancing from the west now... :eek:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Even before the next batch of rain to come tomorrow-look whats advancing from the west now... :eek:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Yeah, that is right over me at the moment.:rolleyes:

There is localized flooding here at the moment, many roads are in a bad way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

Looks like that area of rain will turn slighty NE. Over the next 2 hours we,ll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0816/floods.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7565593.stm
    Northern Ireland got it pretty bad too, 20 feet of water filled up an underpass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Dublin and wicklow look to be in the firing line from this band of rain approaching fast

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

hey guys, screen grab of accumilation from radar in the last 12 hours. NI was hit bad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did anyone see the 9.30 forecast? Even the met men are getting a bit depressed now.

There was no "devil a bit ;)" from Gerry this evening.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Damomanye wrote: »
    hey guys, screen grab of accumilation from radar in the last 12 hours. NI was hit bad!!

Meh that is fantasy stuff, apparently I'm in the 18mm area..well its 59.4mm here and that a lot under recorded.

That rain on the radar hasn't reached here, but must be close. 70mm odd is the record to beat..still a bit to go!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Our total for the day - as the last of the rain has just has cleared us for now - 91.1 . We thought we might have made the 100 but thankfully not.

Supercell wrote: »
    Meh that is fantasy stuff, apparently I'm in the 18mm area..well its 59.4mm here and that a lot under recorded.

That rain on the radar hasn't reached here, but must be close. 70mm odd is the record to beat..still a bit to go!
    Started sporadically here in the last 15 minutes.
    The pinks and the reds [uk MET site] are just to the west bearing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is it a mirage?, it should be pouring down here if the radar is to be believed, its not, its bone dry.

I suspect this means there is huge clouds coming my way :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

Greetings all,

Looks like the heavy showers have returned to Bray.

Wonder if it will be the same as this afternoon.

Regards

Silverski

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I must say the coverage of the NI flooding by rte was non existent.
    In fact did they mention those up North at all ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

No, they didn't mention the north, but they were catching fish in Main Street, Graiguenamanagh :eek:!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭crushproof

I must say the coverage of the NI flooding by rte was non existent.
    In fact did they mention those up North at all ?

No mention at all? its the second headline on the sky news website at the moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 weatherwizard

Hi all!
    I've been lurking on here for some time and have decided to register and start posting on here! I'm in Ballinderry, Co.Antrim.

Love thunderstorms so I'm sure I'll be joining in plenty of discussions on these! Any other members from Northern Ireland?

Anyway, here is a photo taken with my mobile yesterday as we were wading through thigh deep flood water in my village!

[IMG]http://www.newdigitaldesigns.com/webspace/flooding small pic.jpg[/IMG]

Hi all!
    I've been lurking on here for some time and have decided to register and start posting on here! I'm in Ballinderry, Co.Antrim.

Love thunderstorms so I'm sure I'll be joining in plenty of discussions on these! Any other members from Northern Ireland?

Anyway, here is a photo taken with my mobile yesterday as we were wading through thigh deep flood water in my village!

[IMG]http://www.newdigitaldesigns.com/webspace/flooding small pic.jpg[/IMG]
    Welcome
    Have you got your car home yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 weatherwizard

Yes I did thanks! Had to get a relative to drive me around to the other side of the floods using other roads. All is well now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

well, the rain this week looks set to be ordinary by comparison with last week's. In fact Tuesday and Wednesday could turn out to be good days. However, it looks like next weekend will be wet again. I'm still confident the weather will take up towards the end of August. We could get an indian summer yet!

Just to add to the flood reports.
    Toss Byrnes pub at Inch was flooded yesterday when the Inch river (half way between Gorey and Arklow) burst it's banks.
    The water was up the height of the bar inside which whould have been close to 4 feet deep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I'm still confident the weather will take up towards the end of August. We could get an indian summer yet!

ecm500.240.png

Advertisement