Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood risk: Overnight and into Saturday 16th.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

The rain band is very fragmented over southern Ireland, while the west is getting hammered. There is nothing to show as yet on satellite of intensification in the rain band for eastern parts.

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It is like a winters night, very windy and wet where I am at the moment.

4mm in 12hrs. Escaped the heavy stuff around here.
    Most of the heavier rain up over the west and up through the midlands overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Mullingar 13mm past hour, 4mm hour before and at least 15mm before that since midnight and I've missed a couple hours...

Mothman wrote: »
    Mullingar 13mm past hour, 4mm hour before and at least 15mm before that since midnight and I've missed a couple hours...
    And another 8mm during the hour to 11am. 25mm in 3 hrs, an estimated 45mm since midnight at Mullingar.

also Carlow 12mm during past hour

• Advertisement

Might be our turn soon MM, the rain band is just clipping me here now.
    Wind is also gusting occasionally over 30mph.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

After a very quiet night - the ground was pretty much dry up to 10.30am - it's starting pouring down with the odd flash of lightning and thunder. Wind picked up pretty quickly too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Was just talking to my sister, her place nearly swamped by run off from the road above her (where building work is ongoing), called the fire station (no reply!), is going to get onto the local concil environment dept on Monday to see if something can be done with the drainage (its very poor on her road not helped by being at the bottom of a long gentle decent).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

55.4mm since midnight. 58.9mm from that weather front. Incredible.

Snowbie wrote: »
    Might be our turn soon MM, the rain band is just clipping me here now.
    Wind is also gusting occasionally over 30mph.

Doesn't appear so bad down Wexford direction and that is where my rain will be coming from, so i don't think it'll be the same deluge here. I expect you to get quite a bit more. Quite gusty with mean speed since midnight of 16mph which is high for summer.

12.00 report just in

Mullingar only 1.3mm
    Carlow 10.7mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

27.7 mm here since midnight. Looking a the satellite loop should hopefully start to dry up in the next hour, its really orographic though.
    Its very windy and theres a tree partially blocking the rain from my guage - I suspect is under reading by a considerable amount.
    I should have followed you up on that guage earlier MM :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Very heavy rain on radar atm in the East and North. Just clipping us.

Mothman wrote: »
    Doesn't appear so bad down Wexford direction and that is where my rain will be coming from, so i don't think it'll be the same deluge here. I expect you to get quite a bit more. Quite gusty with mean speed since midnight of 16mph which is high for summer.

12.00 report just in

Mullingar only 1.3mm
    Carlow 10.7mm
    Really is only heavy drizzle blowing in very gusty winds. Max avg since midnight of 20mph

7.4mm since midnight

All the the heavier rain is to the west of the county with all us coastal resorts just escaping the persistent stuff atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Just looking at the radar, and i don't think i have seen such a large area, under very heavy rain, up around the north, extending the eastern side of Ireland at the moment

Same here - rain shadow?

Really is only heavy drizzle blowing in very gusty winds. Max avg since midnight of 20mph

7.4mm since midnight

All the the heavier rain is to the west of the county with all us coastal resorts just escaping the persistent stuff atm.

I must be on the edge of it, its persistent heavy rain last couple of hours here.
    30.2mm since midnight and climbing.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Danno wrote: »
    55.4mm since midnight. 58.9mm from that weather front. Incredible.
    That is incredible given over here theres just been 15mm and the rains almost stopped now!
    I'm thankfull.

Starting to pick up here now in intensity. Moderate.

Wow, am actually losing signal on 28.2°E on the satellite, has NEVER done that before, must be some huge clouds around!!

Its toally lashing outside, excellant!! Rain up to 32.8mm

Rain rate 72.4mm/hr now, that would explain the signal loss !!
    A+ :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Any one interested in landslides, with all this heavy rain the back road to glencullen from kilikee veiwing point ( to johnny foxes) theres plenty of scares on the hills .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Well we must have had quite a bit of rain this morning here as a wheelbarrow that was empty yesterday is now half full and the fields are flooded as bad as they were last Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Supercell wrote: »
    Rain rate 72.4mm/hr now,

:eek:

Its very windy and theres a tree partially blocking the rain from my guage - I suspect is under reading by a considerable amount.
    Wow, am actually losing signal on 28.2°E on the satellite, has NEVER done that before, must be some huge clouds around!!

Its toally lashing outside, excellant!! Rain up to 32.8mm
    Rain rate 72.4mm/hr now, that would explain the signal loss !!
    A+ :D
    Where you out doing some lumberjacking recently.:D

Proper rain has strated now
    2.5mm/hr woot!!
    8.4mm today.

Yeah heavier rain here now.

Where you out doing some lumberjacking recently.:D

Proper rain has strated now
    2.5mm/hr woot!!
    8.4mm today.

Lol, nope, it dropped to a paltry 15.6mm/hr there for a few mins, now back up to 71.6 again, awesome stuff :D
    Be thankful you are not getting this in Dublin after the recent floods, they would be back with a vengeance.
    40.6mm so far now, but skies brightening and satellite signal back to near normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Severe torrential downpour here now, my garden is a lake and my road a fast flowing stream!
    Edit: eased off back to plain heavy rain

Here are my weather station stats for the last hour or so in ten minute intervals, pretty amazing stuff:-
                   	  Temp     Hi    Low   Out    Dew               Rain   
      Date    Time     Out   Temp   Temp   Hum    Pt.  Bar    Rain  Rate 
    16/08/08  12:20   13.7   13.7   13.7    95   12.9  996.4  2.79  35.6   
    16/08/08  12:30   13.6   13.7   13.6    95   12.8  996.4  2.03  42.7   
    16/08/08  12:40   13.6   13.6   13.6    95   12.8  996.4  1.02  19.8    
    16/08/08  12:50   13.6   13.6   13.6    95   12.8  996.3  0.76  10.7   
    16/08/08  13:00   13.6   13.6   13.6    95   12.8  996.0  1.02  22.9    
    16/08/08  13:10   13.6   13.6   13.6    95   12.8  996.0  0.51   5.1   
    16/08/08  13:20   13.6   13.6   13.6    95   12.8  995.9  1.27  27.9    
    16/08/08  13:30   13.6   13.6   13.6    95   12.8  995.4  4.83  72.4   
    16/08/08  13:40   13.6   13.6   13.6    95   12.8  995.4  4.06  71.6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Don't know how much rain we have had here in Graignamanagh, Co. Kilkenny over the past few hours, but we have the most serious flooding to hit the town in years.
    The river burst its bank at 3 or 4 places, and flooded every shop and home on the main street.
    Absolutely unreal !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Donegal Town has had moderate rain all morning but since twelve it has been torrential downpour with not a break to be seen. Streetlights are on and visibility very low.

Advertisement