Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood risk: Overnight and into Saturday 16th.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Looks like the flood risk is from the early hours of tomorrow morning as the wrap around from this system crosses the country. More local flooding seems likely with some very heavy rain at times. The flooding should not be as severe as recent days and less widespread. The Southwest, Midlands, East and North most at risk.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn244.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Hi all!
    I've been lurking on here for some time and have decided to register and start posting on here! I'm in Ballinderry, Co.Antrim.

Love thunderstorms so I'm sure I'll be joining in plenty of discussions on these! Any other members from Northern Ireland?

Anyway, here is a photo taken with my mobile yesterday as we were wading through thigh deep flood water in my village!
    Welcome to boards, NI really did get a pasting yesterday.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7566355.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

River Bush in Bushmills is well up! The houses in the second photo are just about holding out
    DSC_13570001.JPG

DSC_13580001.JPG

DSC_13610001.JPG

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

They are some great pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭arctictree

Mothman wrote: »
    My stream has started falling.
    Took to the bicycle to have a look at Vartry. Not exceptional but a good sight. Water level in Mount Usher Garden just over 1 metre, was probably 2.5m after Charley. I'm sure it'll rise overnight as the mountain waters make their way down. Saw sandbags being put down to protect building in Ashford

Only getting to read this thread now.

I remember reading that the floods on the lower Vartry havn't been as bad since the resevoir was built in the 1800s. The resevoir in roundwood acts as a buffer on the Vartry for summer floods as the level is normally far below the overflow line.

Now, over the last couple of days the resevoir has reached maximum capacity and is overflowing. Any more heavy rain on the mountains could lead to serious flooding downstream in Ashford.

BTW - I have never seen the resevoir full at this time of year. (Have been looking at it for the last 10 years....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 weatherwizard

The new underpass of the M1 Motorway into Belfast ended up under 20 feet of water (100 million litres)!

See video here which shows the underpass completely filled with water!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7566433.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

RTE news is reporting Carlow is having a horrendous time. :( Over 100 people evacuated as three streets and some apartment blocks are under water. The video footage showed the river (Barrow ?) in a total spate.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

I cant take this anymore, the garden needs to be cut..

Rain rain go away,
    Come again another day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

shamwari wrote: »
    RTE news is reporting Carlow is having a horrendous time. :( Over 100 people evacuated as three streets and some apartment blocks are under water. The video footage showed the river (Barrow ?) in a total spate.

The streets nearest to the Barrow have been affected since Saturday evening, so despite hitting the news today those apartments have been fecked for quite awhile now. The town park, by the river, is also partly flooded. Its a regular occurence along those streets, just the scale of it's pretty intense this time around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looking athe rainfall predictor for tomorrow I would think Met Eireann are under estimating the rainfall. Gerald's talk of "normal" rainfall wont cut much ice if more flooding occurs.
    I would think a close eye needs to be kept on very convective showers developing

• Advertisement
Advertisement