Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The M50 Barrier Free Tolling Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

rocky wrote: »
    Went twice through the free flowing toll on Saturday, only paid this morning, I was in a rental car . How likely is it that the rental company will come after me for penalties? Practically I exceeded the 8pm next day rule, and they were supposed to send a "notification for payment" for 6 euro per pass, but since this will go to the rental company, I'm not likely to get it, am I? So could not pay the penalty price :(

The rental company will pay the toll and €3 penalty per journey, then charge it on to your credit card - more than likely along with a healthy "administration" charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The rental company will charge your credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 simples

rocky wrote: »
    Went twice through the free flowing toll on Saturday, only paid this morning, I was in a rental car . How likely is it that the rental company will come after me for penalties? Practically I exceeded the 8pm next day rule, and they were supposed to send a "notification for payment" for 6 euro per pass, but since this will go to the rental company, I'm not likely to get it, am I? So could not pay the penalty price :(

It depends on the rental company. Some of them have accounts with eFlow so journeys are registered and therefore do not accrue fines. However, not all rental companies are with eFlow.

I would personally say that if the company is with eFlow it is unlikely you will be charged a fine, but who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

tiff09 wrote: »
    Please excuse my ignorance but how can you call it a scam when you are not paying

surely that is your own doing!

If Barriers were there you would still have to pay just because they are gone does not mean you cannot pay and get away with it

eh its very easy to forget to pay!! there system is a sham !!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kezilini

Sizzler wrote: »
    Tried getting onto the head of the NRA or the department of transport? Nobody in their right mind would think court action would be fair in your case. I'd rope in as many people as you can.

Citizens Advice Bureau as a starter for ten. Also if you dont have the cash see if you can get state legal aid in advance.(Not sure if possible but worth a look?)

Yep sent an email to like 2 different head dudes in nra and the solicitor company!! Of course heard nothing!!!
    All I can do now is show up to this stupid thing and hopefully not get some mental fine!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

kezilini wrote: »
    Yep sent an email to like 2 different head dudes in nra and the solicitor company!! Of course heard nothing!!!
    All I can do now is show up to this stupid thing and hopefully not get some mental fine!!
    PM me with who you contacted in the NRA? I had success with a nice chap there recently :)

You're wasting your time with the solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

got a letter from eflow yesterday saying my wife ( a learner ) was on the m50 southbound in the middle of the night 2 weeks ago and we owed 6 euro.
    I had to call up to learn they mistook the digits. Does that phonecall cost me? If so I'll be sending them the bill even if its 1 cent.

1890 number so it would be costing around 5 cent a minute.

got a letter from eflow yesterday saying my wife ( a learner ) was on the m50 southbound in the middle of the night 2 weeks ago and we owed 6 euro.
    I had to call up to learn they mistook the digits. Does that phonecall cost me? If so I'll be sending them the bill even if its 1 cent.
    Yes it does. Should have let them waste a few more letters and rack up some more imaginary charges before setting them straight. Inefficiency at its best!

Having heard Shane Ross on Today FM last evening it reminded me of the campaign he pushed to get the toll removed, did he really enviage such a farce at the end of it? Wonder if he would be interested now in picking up the baton and challenging how the system "works" and the ethics of trying to charge someone up to €146 per journey.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Slightly off topic:
    The Government’s spending watchdog has revealed further examples of lax controls on Government spending in the deal for the M50 Toll Bridge, civilian policing and benefit fraud..

:: M50 West Link Toll Bridge

On the buy-out of the West Link Toll Bridge the C&AG said the Government could not pull out of its contract with National Toll Roads without having to pay compensation.

Under the final deal the state has to pay €50m a year, indexed to inflation, between August 2008 and March 2020 – around €3m more than the compensation payments if tolls were abolished.

John Buckley said the State was hampered in its negotiations with NTR because there was no termination clause in the original agreement it made with the company when the bridge was built.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/govt-blundered-in-m50-toll-bridge-deal-426006.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Never ring the b'stards, there's an email address on the website.

I got a penalty notice yesterday in the post for a car I sold months ago. Rang them up (after waiting 10 mins to get through) the guy told me he couldnt do anything, I told him I'm just letting eflow know it aint my car and you are wasting your time sending me letters. He told me to chase up who owns it now, I said it wasnt my problem.

On checking online it appears whoever owns it now is having a great time using the M50, fair play to them, the letters are going in the bin!

A disgrace that eflow didnt even want to try and help, he didnt even put the tolls into query. He wanted me to sort it out. Good luck with that.

An absolute sham of an organisation.

I got a penalty notice yesterday in the post for a car I sold months ago. Rang them up (after waiting 10 mins to get through) the guy told me he couldnt do anything, I told him I'm just letting eflow know it aint my car and you are wasting your time sending me letters. He told me to chase up who owns it now, I said it wasnt my problem.

On checking online it appears whoever owns it now is having a great time using the M50, fair play to them, the letters are going in the bin!

A disgrace that eflow didnt even want to try and help, he didnt even put the tolls into query. He wanted me to sort it out. Good luck with that.

An absolute sham of an organisation.

Did you complete the change of registration when you sold the car, and post it off to Shannon?

Looks like the car is still registered in your name - check that with Shannon. If it is, you may be liable for the tolls as the registered owner.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Did you complete the change of registration when you sold the car, and post it off to Shannon?

Looks like the car is still registered in your name - check that with Shannon. If it is, you may be liable for the tolls as the registered owner.
    I traded it in to a garage so god knows who's driving it now. Could be one of their mechanics.

As far as I am concerned I can demonstrate the car isnt mine.

I traded it in to a garage so god knows who's driving it now. Could be one of their mechanics.

So the garage filled out the temp change of ownership. You need to get on to the garage and play hell with them as it appears the car still has you as the registered owner.

I'd also study the relevant bylaws to check whether they can enforce a penalty on the registered owner of the vehicle (still technically you) or whether it falls to the driver.

Garages are notorious for not sending off change of ownerships.

when i worked there we were told to advise that it is the old owner's responsibility to get their name removed from the vehicle, as it is in their best interests. so i would advise you to contact Shannon and get your name taken off, if nothing else it means you won't be harrassed by post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

it's the legal responsibility of the seller to put the new owners details on the log book and send it to shannon

pa990 wrote: »
    it's the legal responsibility of the seller to put the new owners details on the log book and send it to shannon
    The only exception is where a garage is involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I'm still waiting. My last direct debit payment to eflow was back in March and the amount is adding up now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wayne2107

I got a summons last week by regestered post in a red envelope. I was due in court last week. Wait for it... i owe them 965 yes nine hundred and sixty five euros for 8 trips lol. The letter was five pages long. Rang them and they gave e an extra week to pay. Cheque sent down to kerry yesterday. Can scan the letter up later if anyones intrested. Expensive mistake by me :(.

You should have stood your ground a fought.

Cancelled my eflow account, switched to easytrip.

Eflow are a bunch of *****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

Hi guys, I am due to attend court on 19th Oct due to unpaid tolls. Entirely my fault but more through negligence and forgetfulness than anything else. I tried to see if they would accept me paying just the standard tolls that I failed to pay at the time but without luck. Does anyone know what is likely to happen in court? First time anything like this has happened to me, so have no clue of what to expect.. :(

When returning unwanted tags back to eflow, is the postage freepost or do the scoundrels expect us to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

mcwhirter wrote: »
    When returning unwanted tags back to eflow, is the postage freepost or do the scoundrels expect us to pay?

Id say if you've decided to return the tag then you pick up the cost. Why would they pay?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Even they probably want you to send it by register post, if it gets lost by normal post you will probably still have to pay the admin fee or pay for the lost tag.

We were told to advise customers that when returning tags, mark the package "POA" (Payment On Arrival) and eFlow pick up the cost. Not sure if this is still the case..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I got a letter from eflow today looking for 47 euro even though i've paid everytime. They really need to run it better.

• Advertisement

Rozbeef wrote: »
    Hi guys, I am due to attend court on 19th Oct due to unpaid tolls. Entirely my fault but more through negligence and forgetfulness than anything else. I tried to see if they would accept me paying just the standard tolls that I failed to pay at the time but without luck. Does anyone know what is likely to happen in court? First time anything like this has happened to me, so have no clue of what to expect.. :(
    Have you got a solicitor?

Dont be admitting your guilt online before the case is even heard mate :eek:

Advertisement