Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The M50 Barrier Free Tolling Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

We need someone with the balls to take them on in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Here's an update on my situation

For the sake of explaining the issue, I'll use a fictional address.

Lets say i live at
    Mr X XXXXX
    13 Windmill Avenue,
    Rathfarnham,
    Dublin 6.

In the "Windmill" estate there are other streets - "windmill view", "Windmill rise" "Windmill Close" and so on..

The thing is - on all correspondence from both eflow and the solictors - the address is just
    "Mr X XXXX",
    13 Windmill,
    Rathfarnham,
    dublin6
    .. with no mention of the fact that its Windmill avenue that i reside at ... which would explain why i never got the reminder letters, additional fine letters, warning letters etc!!!

Okay... so I have recieved some letters from them over the last 12 months, depending on the postman on duty that day who might have resolved the issue using his own intelligence.. but they don't know that - right!

Also.. the fact that i have recieved other correspondence not addressed to me but which I was intially intended for some of my neighbours is further proof of a failing in their system is it not?!?!

.. how should I proceed from here? A strongly worded letter explaining the issues with the incomplete address. A phonecall/letter from my solicitor? Should I Include a cheque for the original toll amount. Should I contact Pierce&Fitz or eflow or the NRA?

What Im also worried about, is that the summons is for unpaid tolls in April - but is their other ones from May/June/July that could be moving through the system as I speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭markpb

.. with no mention of the fact that its Windmill avenue that i reside at ... which would explain why i never got the reminder letters, additional fine letters, warning letters etc!!!

Can you check that your address is correctly registered with the DMV in Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

markpb wrote: »
    Can you check that your address is correctly registered with the DMV in Shannon?

I dunno.. I guess I can. A quick phone call should answer that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

Hi all,

I've used the toll bridge several times since barrier free tolling was introduced but have never recieved any correspondence from them whatsoever. No bills, and have made no payments.

My car is registered with the DMV in Shannon with the correct address as my tax renewal info etc arrives no problems.

My question is this: should I be worried about getting a huge bill from the NRA/ their solicitors. I wasn't until reading this thread.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

aquaman wrote: »
    should I be worried about getting a huge bill from the NRA/ their solicitors

probably

Hi all,

I've used the toll bridge several times since barrier free tolling was introduced but have never recieved any correspondence from them whatsoever. No bills, and have made no payments.

My car is registered with the DMV in Shannon with the correct address as my tax renewal info etc arrives no problems.

My question is this: should I be worried about getting a huge bill from the NRA/ their solicitors. I wasn't until reading this thread.......
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    probably

Oh dear. Well let me post an altered question.
    What should I now do??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Oh dear. Well let me post an altered question.
    What should I now do??

I've no idea to be honest - was only being facetious. Why don't you call eflow to see if their are any outstanding tolls for your reg - to stay a step ahead of them...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I've no idea to be honest - was only being facetious. Why don't you call eflow to see if their are any outstanding tolls for your reg - to stay a step ahead of them...

hmmmm..
    I might do that. Although I don't want to tempt fate and give them something to look for. Maybe play ostrich for a while longer and see what comes of it.

Thanks for the suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 simples

hmmmm..
    I might do that. Although I don't want to tempt fate and give them something to look for. Maybe play ostrich for a while longer and see what comes of it.

Thanks for the suggestion

To be honest you won't be giving them something to look for. If you call them up the person you will be talking to will have no power to do anything about your vehicle only let you know what is owing. If anything happens in terms of chasing you for outstanding amounts then it is done automatically by the *wonderful* system they have in place.

I would advise you to give them a call, at least you'll know what you may be chased for in the future... if anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Eflow haven't taken a direct debit payment from me since March, and that is after calling them multiple times. maybe they don't want my money, hopefully.;)

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Eflow haven't taken a direct debit payment from me since March, and that is after calling them multiple times. maybe they don't want my money, hopefully.;)

are journeys still going on to your account? just make sure they are because if they aren't then journeys outside the account may start accruing fees... you shouldn't have to pay any fees if there are any but it may get complicated after a while.

the problem may have arisen if your account is set up with a credit card.. things may have changed but last I knew the system had problems with accounts set up for credit card payments. i can't imagine they would be able to chase you for anything other than your basic tolls, but they may eventually take payment in arrears.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kbannon wrote: »
    With regard to the train of thought that the full letter of the by-law was not being fulfilled, as I mentioned I contacted Mr. Faughnan of the AA (who was on hols for a while).
    The response back is:

I wonder will he actually look into it?
    well they came back...
    Dear KBannon,

I, refer to our earlier correspondence in relation to your concerns on the display of the net toll price payable.

Firslty, I wish to apologise for our delay in replying to you as this was an oversight on our part.

In reply to the points that you raise concerning the non-display of certain Toll’s on the M50, we communicated with the NRA, for their position on the matter.

They make the following points;

Additional Tolls and Default Tolls as provided for in the M50 Bye-Laws are two separate concepts.The Bye-Laws require that

"...13.1 A list of the Applicable Tolls for an Unregistered Vehicle authorised by these Bye-Laws shall at all times be exhibited in a conspicuous place at or near the Toll Location on the Toll Road ".

The Bye-Laws do not provide that the Default Tolls be displayed on the Toll Road Regulation.Regulation 15.5 does however require that both Applicable Tolls and the Default Tolls be published in a National Newspaper.A, notice was published in the Irish Independent on the 22nd December,2008.

From, the relevant Bye-Laws, the NRA contend that they fulfill they fulfill the legislative requirements, and that notification of the existing display of the net toll price payable by the user, are meet in full.

As refered in earlier correspondence by Mr., Conor Faughnan, suspected the toll displays are sufficient, meeting the requirements, as has been confirmed by the NRA.

I, trust that this clarifies the position and once again apologies for our delay in replying to you.

Yours sincerely,

Legal & Technical Services
    I don't have a chance to look back at the legislation but I will!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

well they came back...

I don't have a chance to look back at the legislation but I will!

What are you argueing against? That you dont know the toll prices?

What are you argueing against? That you dont know the toll prices?
    Maybe read this thread before posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Maybe read this thread before posting!

110 pages of comments.

Its seems you have an issue that the toll price aren't being displayed on the road, am I correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kezilini

Well I recieved that stupid court summonsy thing by registered post. Loada sh!te.
    Whats ppl doing about this??
    Im certainly not paying over 3grand within ten days coz thats a sham, if u add up all the 3euros I add it comes to 69 f*cking euro, 3grand is ridiculous robbing b*stards!
    Anyway, I use a tag, ive been using it for 7 months, but for some reason the whole of march is what im being sent to court for??? I dont know why the tag didnt work or why its just that month???
    So any advice from ppl that have gone to their summons??
    I know if ya dont go to this final thing they sh!t on ur credit rating and then send proper heavies for the money.
    The funny thing is the name on the letter is similar to my name, but its a spelling mistake, they have my surname wrong..........anyway I can sting them ny showing my passport, coz logically im not the person on the letter, 2 totally different surnames!!!
    Any advice appreciated!!!

kezilini wrote: »
    anyway I can sting them ny showing my passport, coz logically im not the person on the letter, 2 totally different surnames!!!
    A logical defence - yes!
    A legal defence - no! The judge will probably just amend the summons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Indeed he will.

• Advertisement

Anyway, I use a tag, ive been using it for 7 months, but for some reason the whole of march is what im being sent to court for??? I dont know why the tag didnt work or why its just that month???

Did you ring the solicitors to see what they said the reason was? Is your account with eFlow or another tag provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Well I recieved that stupid court summonsy thing by registered post. Loada sh!te.
    Whats ppl doing about this??
    Im certainly not paying over 3grand within ten days coz thats a sham, if u add up all the 3euros I add it comes to 69 f*cking euro, 3grand is ridiculous robbing b*stards!
    So any advice from ppl that have gone to their summons??
    I know if ya dont go to this final thing they sh!t on ur credit rating and then send proper heavies for the money.
    The funny thing is the name on the letter is similar to my name, but its a spelling mistake, they have my surname wrong..........anyway I can sting them ny showing my passport, coz logically im not the person on the letter, 2 totally different surnames!!!
    Not sure if this makes you feel any better but check out post # 3 on here

http://www.paintballer.ie/all-other-stuff/6440-m50-e-flow-barrier-free-toll-bridge-un-paid-fine-trouble.html#post72276

If true it will be interesting to see if this one makes it to court and what the outcome is....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kezilini

Yea the account is with e-flow,

Thanks that link does help!!

Its a loada sh!te altogether eflow.
    Im going to have to go to my summons coz if not then thats me credit rating gone :(
    But seems loads of ppl are saying how can fines be doubled and hiked up without ur knowledge, they need to send out letters to tell u there fining you, which I never recieved and they can never prove anything, other then I recieved my summons.
    I understand what ppl say when they say they are not obligued to send out letters if u drive thru it coz the stupid barrier thing acts as a "contract" but if u have a tag for this "contract" and has been working fine for months, then thats me paid.....they should have to send out fine letters tho if they want to fine ya cz otherwise how the feck do u know ya been fined............thats what I never recieved EVER!! Just a mental 3000 court sh!te!!

What reason did you get for the fines? Was the vehicle not on the account at the time of the journeys or something?? I can't think of any reason why they are actually enforcing fines incurred when an account is held.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Thanks that link does help!!

Its a loada sh!te altogether eflow.
    Im going to have to go to my summons coz if not then thats me credit rating gone :(
    But seems loads of ppl are saying how can fines be doubled and hiked up without ur knowledge, they need to send out letters to tell u there fining you, which I never recieved and they can never prove anything, other then I recieved my summons.
    I understand what ppl say when they say they are not obligued to send out letters if u drive thru it coz the stupid barrier thing acts as a "contract" but if u have a tag for this "contract" and has been working fine for months, then thats me paid.....they should have to send out fine letters tho if they want to fine ya cz otherwise how the feck do u know ya been fined............thats what I never recieved EVER!! Just a mental 3000 court sh!te!!
    Tried getting onto the head of the NRA or the department of transport? Nobody in their right mind would think court action would be fair in your case. I'd rope in as many people as you can.

Citizens Advice Bureau as a starter for ten. Also if you dont have the cash see if you can get state legal aid in advance.(Not sure if possible but worth a look?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I keep not paying for my toll usage and now i owe €XXX this toll business is nothing but a scam, i blame the banks and the government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tiff09

Please excuse my ignorance but how can you call it a scam when you are not paying

surely that is your own doing!

If Barriers were there you would still have to pay just because they are gone does not mean you cannot pay and get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

tiff09 wrote: »
    Please excuse my ignorance but how can you call it a scam when you are not paying

surely that is your own doing!

If Barriers were there you would still have to pay just because they are gone does not mean you cannot pay and get away with it

Read the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tiff09

i did read it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Went twice through the free flowing toll on Saturday, only paid this morning, I was in a rental car . How likely is it that the rental company will come after me for penalties? Practically I exceeded the 8pm next day rule, and they were supposed to send a "notification for payment" for 6 euro per pass, but since this will go to the rental company, I'm not likely to get it, am I? So could not pay the penalty price :(

Advertisement